• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops claim black man advanced on them with knife. Vid shows them shooting him in back

Mullah88

At this point, I believe anything a cop says should be doubted till proven otherwise. There words hold no weight all. It's like, let's see if we can get away with this and if we get caught, it's a paid vacation and the family of the victim gets compensated for there loss. Shit is getting ridiculous

Instro

Wow wow wow. This might be the worst one yet.

Maybe it's sad to say, but this is probably a step below a few of the others we've heard about. They had an apparent reason to stopping him due to the way he was riding his bike, he had an outstanding warrant for aggravated assault, and he got physical with a cop in trying to escape. This one is actually pretty quick in terms of what happens. The sad thing is that one cop actually correctly pulled his tazer, which probably would have been enough to end the situation. While I understand the other guy got knocked over, I can't imagine why he thought to start firing as soon as he got back to his feet without completely getting his bearings and understanding the situation.

I don't know how you'd prosecute for this one though. Optically it looks awful, but you basically have a cop who was legitmately attacked on film, so there's enough for him to at least pull his gun, and his defense for shooting him would be that he couldn't see what he was doing as his back was turned. Unfortunately if he had that aggravated assault warrant it's likely he was already considered to be armed and dangerous, which adds another factor to the defense. It seems to me that to actually get a conviction in these cases it has to be absolutely clear cut, because of how our laws are so protective of cops. We need change.

Edit

What also always gets me with this stuff is how the fuck do they get away with lying about the details?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
There has got to be a third agency that isn’t the DA that automatically handles police shootings. DA office is compromised due to the working relationship they have and must maintain with police departments. Someone who doesn’t have that close relationship needs to be doing the investigation, bringing charges, and prosecuting these officers.

That body cam should be a slam dunk, in that they lied, shoot a man running away from them, and riding a bicycle without lights isn’t a public safety incident that requires them to neutralise someone over.

kcp12304

Banned
Why did he run though? The police were no danger to him.

He may be suffering mental illness after his brother died according to his sister. He may have been homeless at one point.

Also he's dead over a bicycle so maybe he had a justifiable fear.

Sunster

There has got to be a third agency that isn’t the DA that automatically handles police shootings. DA office is compromised due to the working relationship they have and must maintain with police departments. Someone who doesn’t have that close relationship needs to be doing the investigation, bringing charges, and prosecuting these officers.

That body cam should be a slam dunk, in that they lied, shoot a man running away from them, and riding a bicycle without lights isn’t a public safety incident that requires them to neutralise someone over.

we need citizen oversight committees in every city.

Heshinsi

Police shouldn’t get jury trials. They should be tried by a panel of judges, similar to how military personal don’t get jury trials for offences committed while in uniform. I’m sorry, a jury of your peers doesn’t exist Mr Officer.

Must have been opposite day. On that day clearly someone running AWAY from the police would constitute the highest class of threat.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Waiting for police GAF to comment.

Despite there being a portion of the video being shaky and blurry, he was still far away from them, running away, and didn't turn around like they said even a tiny little bit.

Unjustified. Try him for murder.

oh wait justice in America is just a myth lol

He does actually appear to turn back towards them as he's running if you watch it very slowly.

Obviously not saying that justifies shooting him.

Sunster

He does actually appear to turn back towards them as he's running if you watch it very slowly.

he was turning to throw a shuriken obviously. that's why they had to go straight for their guns.

robochimp

Police shouldn’t get jury trials. They should be tried by a panel of judges, similar to how military personal don’t get jury trials for offences committed while in uniform. I’m sorry, a jury of your peers doesn’t exist Mr Officer.

They often choose a bench trial over a jury trial.

just watched the video in the link and it's different from the one i saw. the one i watched earlier today was the body cam of the shooter.

in the video in the OP, it looks more like he's looking back over his shoulder and not turning, but it's even less obvious from the body cam of the shooter. i'll see if i can find the link but i'm surprised it wasn't in the OP link along with the other.

DavidDesu

Cops should be trained to deal with their fear. Firemen don't shit their pants and refuse to go into burning buildings to save people. That's the equivalent here. Only with massive dollops of racism and pure evil. Over a fucking bicycle light. Absolutely no regard for human life at all. Cold, pure evil.

What I'm seeing and hearing is:

"Black man didn't follow my instructions, so I got scared when he 'resisted.' Instead of pursuing and wasting all that energy, it was much easier to just shoot him. He probably didn't matter to anyone anyway."

Heshinsi

They often choose a bench trial over a jury trial.
Wait, it’s judges who are letting them walk? I thought most of these cases die at the Grand Jury stage, and when they do get past them, jurors still let them off.

Cops should be trained to deal with their fear. Firemen don't shit their pants and refuse to go into burning buildings to save people. That's the equivalent here. Only with massive dollops of racism and pure evil. Over a fucking bicycle light. Absolutely no regard for human life at all. Cold, pure evil.

They shoot dogs wagging their tails at them, do you think a brown or black person wouldn’t scare the shit out of them just by existing? Mail personnel with nothing more than a satchel, and at times pepper spray, can deal with dogs without resorting to shooting them. Many police officers apparently can’t. Which means their guns give them a sort of power, and they elect to use that power with leathal consequences at times when they don’t need to escalate things to that level.

Marvel

could never
Is there a full video, article talked about him groaning as they handcuffed him on the ground.
A clearer video from the camera of the cop who shot him and him sadly groaning on the ground dying can be found on liveleak. I don't know if it is a banned site so I won't link it.

As for him turning, looks like it's a slight twist from being tazed tbh.

What I'm seeing and hearing is:

"Black man didn't follow my instructions, so I got scared when he 'resisted.' Instead of pursuing and wasting all that energy, it was much easier to just shoot him. He probably didn't matter to anyone anyway."

this. the gun is their Easy Button™.

"i can use this to end this inconvenient situation i'm in and i won't get in trouble for it."

The Kree

Banned

Panels of judges in America won't give a shit about cops murdering black people either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think it counts as "fearing for your life" just because you are generally afraid of black people.

What was the victim doing towards the end? It looks he turns towards them and that is when they open fire. Hard to tell as the camera moves when the cop goes to draw his weapon. But he may of also been turning because he heard them about to shoot and was about to give up on evading.

Sad they have to resort to deadly force just because the dude turns back at them. What did they think he was pulling a shotgun out of his pocket?

Culex

Banned
If Officer Slager can go to jail for killing Walter Scott, there is hope of justice, as slim as it can be.

I cannot believe I actually have to type that out - this country makes me sick sometimes.

Salt Lake officials have claimed that the killing of Harmon was legal because the officers feared for their lives,

Forever their 'get out of jail free' card, no matter what. You can't win against this shit.

televator

Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses.

Yep, but I will also argue that functionally as an organization, police now serve the same role as the KKK back in its heyday. The Klan terrorized black people across the country, murdered them, and tried controlling them through fear and intimidation. The police today terrorize black people across the country, murder them, and impose controll through fear and intimidation. Basically the police today are a more fully realized version of the klan, in so far as the impact they have on society, than the modern klan itself.

Stiler

This is the problem with our justice system.

Clearly the cop was in the wrong, but what will happen?

Paid leave probably, found not guilty, and back to their job.

The fact that they have like a 99% rate of getting off when they CLEARLY lied about what actually happened should be immediate grounds for charges and they should never be able to get a job in a position of such (even as a security guard) again.

Usobuko

Banned
Why would the psychopath not want to join the police force?

Free licence to kill without repercussions. Hell, you get a free vacation to boot and bask in the limelight of getting away legally in front of people you torment.

He wasn't convicted only because he plead guilty.

There's no way to know that. His first murder trial resulted in a hung jury. It was only when he was hit with other federal charges that he likely would have been found guilty of (not murder charges) that he then plead to a deprivation of rights charge.

If Officer Slager can go to jail for killing Walter Scott, there is hope of justice, as slim as it can be.

I cannot believe I actually have to type that out - this country makes me sick sometimes.

Go to jail? Unlikely. Go to jail for murder? Impossible.

Kneefoil

It's news like this that make me wonder how you guys ended up with such low standards for policing. Apparently it wasn't against the law either because the shooter "thought he was a threat"? You need new laws to stop your law enforcement from enforcing the law (in such harmful ways), which is pretty fucked up.

blakep267

He is doing his job. DAs and cops are about as close of buddies as can be. Across the country DAs and cops eat lunch together all the time at joints that are pretty much specifically for DAs and cops.
Pretty much. Like we all know Law and order. Jack McCoy knew briscoe and green just fine. Why would he all of a sudden turn their enemy

Top Bottom