• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops claim black man advanced on them with knife. Vid shows them shooting him in back

Man, fuck cops. I don't give a shit if you are a "good" cop. By not wrangling in these racist, trigger-happy assholes you work with, which is your fucking duty to the public by the way, you are an apathetic asshole yourself.

Take a fucking stand, tough guys.

Domaje

Most of US elite is corrupted and fascist. They need a fascist police and a fascist army to exist.

The only merit of Trump is that he's shamelssly showing the real face of this kind of elite to the world.

FactoryofLies

Neo Member
What was the victim doing towards the end? It looks he turns towards them and that is when they open fire. Hard to tell as the camera moves when the cop goes to draw his weapon. But he may of also been turning because he heard them about to shoot and was about to give up on evading.

Sad they have to resort to deadly force just because the dude turns back at them. What did they think he was pulling a shotgun out of his pocket?

I saw the same thing, slows down while turning and reaching across his body towards his waist. Had to slow it down frame by frame at 22 seconds. A knife was supposedly found on scene (drop knife?). Regardless, two out of the three officers had already unnecessarily drawn their firearms on person with a warrant who was running from him. They could have found him the next day and arrested him for the warrant. Didn't need to shoot him. RIP

fuV0Csk.png

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I saw the same thing. Had to slow it down frame by frame. A knife was supposedly found on scene. Still didn't need to shot him.

bFPvFb

Doesn't mean shit. Drop weapons are a real thing.

Lain

This story is pretty disgusting.
I mean, these stories about police killing black people are all disgusting, but there is something special about telling lies about fearing for your life and having the cam footage show the person being murdered while running away, meanwhile all these deplorable people in power siding with the murderer.

Wtf are you guys even talking about. He runs away then turns around looking to reach for something. Life and death situation I'm shooting him too. 100% there is police brutality out there but put yourself in their situation. When he was getting searched he runs and when he turns around you have no idea if it's a gun he was pulling for. You have a split second to make the judgement call here. You have to put yourself in their shoes and say to yourself are you willing to take the bullet. The man was uncooperative and you don't know his intentions. For all I know the cops could be racist. All three cops could be huge dicks. I don't know. What I do know if I was a cop and he turned around while running looking to grab something from his waist I'm putting a bullet in him. That has nothing to do with race and I'm not white. This isn't a video game where I can be like "I just lost one life I won't make that mistake again". I feel bad for the guy but honestly he fucked up.

The Kree

Banned
Wtf are you guys even talking about. He runs away then turns around looking to reach for something. Life and death situation I'm shooting him too. 100% there is police brutality out there but put yourself in their situation. When you was getting searched he runs and when he turns around you have no idea if it's a gun he was pulling for. You have a split second to make the judgement call here. You have to put yourself in their shoes and say to yourself are you willing to take the bullet. The man was uncooperative and you don't know his intentions. For all I know the cops could be racist. All three cops could be huge dicks. I don't know. What I do know if I was a cop and he turned around while running looking to grab something from his waist I'm putting a bullet in him. That has nothing to do with race and I'm not white.
BINGO

What do I win?

There's a chance I may be related to this guy so this is hitting a bit close to home.

This is so fucking sad to see all the time.

Also doesn't help that I have louder white people at work throwing out their opinion on what black people should do. Don't think I have patience for it any longer.

Edit: here we fucking go with dumbass juniors who will get quoted 20 times before getting banned because they want to be play backseat cop.

Jackpot

Banned
thank god for body cameras, they surely cant get away with it now? at least thats the hope.
With all this talk about police shootings, makes you wonder wtf is in their heads with still pulling the trigger so fucking fast. Blows my mind.

DA decided to file no charges.

Wtf are you guys even talking about. He runs away then turns around looking to reach for something. Life and death situation I'm shooting him too. 100% there is police brutality out there but put yourself in their situation. When he was getting searched he runs and when he turns around you have no idea if it's a gun he was pulling for. You have a split second to make the judgement call here. You have to put yourself in their shoes and say to yourself are you willing to take the bullet. The man was uncooperative and you don't know his intentions. For all I know the cops could be racist. All three cops could be huge dicks. I don't know. What I do know if I was a cop and he turned around while running looking to grab something from his waist I'm putting a bullet in him. That has nothing to do with race and I'm not white. This isn't a video game where I can be like "I just lost one life I won't make that mistake again". I feel bad for the guy but honestly he fucked up.
He'd probably be alive if he was White.
https://twitter.com/MuslimIQ/status/916127766415896577

Care to comment about the part where the cops said they shot him because he was advancing towards them with a knife?

Because that was a lie.

If they're lying about that, what else are they lying about?

There's a chance I may be related to this guy so this is hitting a bit close to home.

This is so fucking sad to see all the time.

Also doesn't help that I have louder white people at work throwing out their opinion on what black people should do. Don't think I have patience for it any longer.

Edit: here we fucking go with dumbass juniors who will get quoted 20 times before getting banned because they want to be play backseat cop.
I've been a member of gaf since like 06 and visit everyday. I lost my account old account when I was in college and forgot the password. I usually don't post anything and I won't get banned because I don't get triggered. Like I said I feel for the guy but shit situation. I don't think people here would want to take a bullet to the neck on the assumption that the deceased man had good intentions when running and turning around.

Maybe he would. I'm not refuting that. Like I said all three cops could be racists and there story of him approaching with a knife is retarded knowing they are wearing body cameras. All I'm saying is he fucked up when he ran and turned around. Maybe he still would have took shots to the back if he did but I know that action on camera is what's in the cops favor.

I've been a member of gaf since like 06 and visit everyday. I lost my account old account when I was in college and forgot the password. I usually don't post anything and I won't get banned because I don't get triggered. Like I said I feel for the guy but shit situation. I don't think people here would want to take a bullet to the neck on the assumption that the deceased man had good intentions when running and turning around.

I guess murdering people just incase, is an acquired taste.

Maybe he would. I'm not refuting that. Like I said all three cops could be racists and there story of him approaching with a knife is retarded knowing they are wearing body cameras. All I'm saying is he fucked up when he ran and turned around. Maybe he still would have took shots to the back if he did but I know that action on camera is what's in the cops favor.

Since 06 on Gaf huh, been away for the last... quite a few years maybe?

Stop or I will shoot you

Doesn't stop - gets killed
Turns 90 degrees - gets killed
Stops and hands not visible - gets killed
Stops and drops to the ground - gets killed

The mere fact that they clearly lied should get them fired, charged, and blacklisted from ever working as a police officer or security guard. But of course they face no consequences for it whatsoever, even disregarding that they killed someone.

How bout they get put in jail? This has nothing to do with them doing their jobs, so its plain murder.

Since 06 on Gaf huh, been away for the last... quite a few years maybe?
Nah look at my account. This one I started in 13 when I couldn't remember my old password. I just lurk don't usually post. The problem may be that a cop is trained that they have to shoot the center of mass. Maybe people would feel more comfortable if they shot someone in the leg but it is their protocol when firing.

You don’t feel bad for him at all.
Yeah because you know how I feel. I'm an Arab Muslim in America. I know what prejudice feels like too. Thank you for telling me how I feel. My half sister and most of my friends are black so once again thank you for telling me how I feel.

Nah look at my account. This one I started in 13 when I couldn't remember my old password. I just lurk don't usually post. The problem may be that a cop is trained that they have to shoot the center of mass. Maybe people would feel more comfortable if they shot someone in the leg but it is their protocol when firing.

No, I was obliquely pointing out, by way of bolding your use of the word "retarded" that has been frowned on here on Gaf for quite a few years.

There seems to be a fairly high proportion of absolute goons in the American police force. I mean some of these guys should be in jail (or working in a profession a thousand miles from any kind of arms, how about selling mattresses?) rather than on the enforcement side.

Yeah because you know how I feel. I'm an Arab Muslim in America. I know what prejudice feels like too. Thank you for telling me how I feel. My half sister and most of my friends are black so once again thank you for telling me how I feel.

You just articulated your opinion poorly and appeared to aportion blame on the side of the one who was shot for reacting in a way which could not be construed as threatening given what is shown in the video. A police man should act in self defence or in defence of a member of the public who is under threat of death. Otherwise it is an unreasonable use of force and murder. There is no excuse for this even if the dude had a knife. The police man is basically a walking fuck up.

Also ethnicity doesn't immediately validate your perspective...This isn't a contest of equivalence...

Yes you caught me the ignoramus. I'm actually a white man lurking. On a serious note the video you showed of the white guy chasing after the cop was fucked up. That guy should have been shot and I would have sided with the cop for shooting him. I don't know what happened to that cop but he should have been suspended or fired for letting it get that far endangering the lives of everyone else.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Look, the South Park defence of "He's coming straight for us" was 20 years ago and was satire back then.

Cops using it in 2017 to shoot someone, who of course is black, when the person was fleeing the scene is criminal.

They knew who the person was. If he ran off they simply could've made a follow up at home and gave him a day in the cells for running off. Instead? They kill someone.

The police force in the US represents the worst in civil management possible. The urge to shoot your own citizens for the most pathetic reasons is indicative of a society where violence and escalation seems to just be the default answer to problems. The police are meant to be the opposite of this for crying out loud.

There seems to be a fairly high proportion of absolute goons in the American police force. I mean some of these guys should be in jail (or working in a profession a thousand miles from any kind of arms, how about selling mattresses?) rather than on the enforcement side.

You just articulated your opinion poorly and appeared to aportion blame on the side of the one who was shot for reacting in a way which could not be construed as threatening given what is shown in the video. A police man should act in self defence or in defence of a member of the public who is under threat of death. Otherwise it is an unreasonable use of force and murder. There is no excuse for this even if the dude had a knife. The police man is basically a walking fuck up.

Also ethnicity doesn't immediately validate your perspective...This isn't a contest of equivalence...
How is running away turning around looking like you are grabbing something at your waist not threatening. I wouldn't want to be in there position that's why I would never want to be a cop. It's easy for us to sit here and judge every time a cop fucks up. There are so many cases where the cops straight murder a black man. What gets me upset is people seeing this case as straight murder and not seeing the threat.

Bingo!

Ah shit someone else had bingo before I did.

Bingo!

Ah shit someone else had bingo before I did.
Hurray you win. How about you actually comment with something thoughtful like some of the other gaffers did. Hey I could be wrong I'm just commenting on what I saw at the end of the video and the screen cap of when he turned around.

The Kree

Banned
Hurray you win. How about you actually comment with something thoughtful like some of the other gaffers did. Hey I could be wrong I'm just commenting on what I saw at the end of the video and the screen cap of when he turned around.

Congratulations on making the thread about you.

How is running away turning around looking like you are grabbing something at your waist not threatening. I wouldn't want to be in there position that's why I would never want to be a cop. It's easy for us to sit here and judge every time a cop fucks up. There are so many cases where the cops straight murder a black man. What gets me upset is people seeing this case as straight murder and not seeing the threat.

You simply shouldn't react on a what if. No other country does. They are paid to do a job and part of that is the risk to themselves. Same goes for many of these kinds fo jobs (military, fire brigade etc). Because you thought they might be pulling a knife or gun does not give you the right to shoot them because you could very very easily be mistaken. Confirmation should absolutley be needed. If your that in doubt, try a tazer shot first. But in a situation where you have 3 trained shooters aiming their guns you still have the upper hand by a country mile. Enought to give a moment to see what that person is doing. They are not going to be spinning on the spot, pulling out a gun and firing it with any sort of accuracy if that is what you believe is happening. If they have a knife the same applies as they arn't a deadly ex navy seal now turned chef whos speciality is knives.

This is absolutely not acceptable. With your thought process you basically cant do anything that might not make them think "shit he is coming right for us" and shooting you.

Luckily I am in the UK where this basically doesn't happen. It just makes this stuff even more baffeling.

Congratulations on making the thread about you.
If everyone quotes me and tries to play me as a racist for saying how the situation was actually threatening that's on them. All I did was comment on people seeing it as straight murder when the video clearly shows he turned around when running looking like he was going for something.

Well to summarise your position.

All those cops could be racist.

They did lie about the encounter and reason for shooting.

You feel bad for the dead guy for being senselessly murdered.

Yet the only thing you felt you needed to say initially, was that you couldn't see what everyone was up in arms about because you in that cops shoes, would have also killed that guy, just to be safe.

Like what's the big deal? He ran. He had it coming. He fucked up. It's his fault those police are poorly trained and can't react appropriately in any situation where they are faced with even a 1% risk without killing a person, just in case.

Also you're Arab and your your half sister and friends are black so we can't question your levels of empathy.

The Kree

Banned
If everyone quotes me and tries to play me as a racist for saying how the situation was actually threatening that's on them. All I did was comment on people seeing it as straight murder when the video clearly shows he turned around when running looking like he was going for something.

Literally no one played you as a racist.

Jackpot

Banned
All I'm saying is he fucked up when he ran and turned around....

"...and he deserved to die."

If you can't append the above to his actions, then it doesn't matter.

Maybe he was turning around because police were literally shouting "I'll fucking shoot you!" if he ran any further. Crazy, huh?

Why did they lie about him actually coming at them if it’s so reasonable to assume that turning around quickly is worth opening fire?

You simply shouldn't react on a what if. No other country does. They are paid to do a job and part of that is the risk to themselves. Same goes for many of these kinds fo jobs (military, fire brigade etc). Because you thought they might be pulling a knife or gun does not give you the right to shoot them because you could very very easily be mistaken. Confirmation should absolutley be needed. If your that in doubt, try a tazer shot first. But in a situation where you have 3 trained shooters aiming their guns you still have the upper hand by a country mile. Enought to give a moment to see what that person is doing. They are not going to be spinning on the spot, pulling out a gun and firing it with any sort of accuracy if that is what you believe is happening. If they have a knife the same applies as they arn't a deadly ex navy seal now turned chef whos speciality is knives.

This is absolutely not acceptable. With your thought process you basically cant do anything that might not make them think "shit he is coming right for us" and shooting you.

Luckily I am in the UK where this basically doesn't happen. It just makes this stuff even more baffeling.
I agree with you but it's kinda a cycle here in the states. Minority gets fucked by cops in past so doesn't trust them so is not cooperative. Cop had to deal with dangerous situation in past or is told stories of violence against police so he/she is on edge. I believe the law here is in the cops favor where deadly force is aloud on suspicion of life being threatened.

Jackpot

Banned
I agree with you but it's kinda a cycle here in the states. Minority gets fucked by cops in past so doesn't trust them so is not cooperative. Cop had to deal with dangerous situation in past or is told stories of violence against police so he/she is on edge. I believe the law here is in the cops favor where deadly force is aloud on suspicion of life being threatened.

But "minority gets fucked by cops" is something that happens on a daily basis, whilst "cop believes stories of violence by black men" is just another way of saying "cop is racist". And the law being in the cops' favour is kind of the whole effing point of past protests.

You can't both sides this.

Top Bottom