• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

I don't have any pictures on hand, but:

1 package frozen hashbrowns (thawed)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 stick of butter
1 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder (1 tablespoon each)
2 cups corn flakes
2 cups shredded cheese (dealers choice of flavour)
1 package deli ham (pre-sliced into cubes or do it yourself)

1. Spread hashbrowns in 9x13 pan
2. Melt stick of butter in microwave and combine with soup (don't add water/milk, just soup can contents), sour cream, and seasonings.
3. Sprinkle the seasonings on the mixture in the bowl and combine.
4. Cut up ham and combine with mixture in bowl.
5. Spoon mixture from bowl over hashbrowns and spread evenly across entire pan area.
6. Crush up corn flakes in ziploc bag until much smaller, combine with cheese and shake
7. Pour over mixture evenly.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes

Trust me, it's great. Everyone always goes, 'wtf corn flakes?', as did I originally when someone made this for me. But it's top notch flavourtown.

nush

More good stuff from my wife <3

I told her she should make more videos of traditional filipino cooking, but she’s worried it night not be interesting to watch. What so you think?

I think you are low key using this topic to pimp your wifes youtube channel. "I told her she should make more videos" - has been uploading videos every day for a month.

This topic is for real cooking by real people, not to promote "Me too" professionally produced Youtube channels.

Anyone looking for Asian cooking channels can find them, like Seonkyoung Longest. Asian, boobs, personality and cooking.

Mamofish

Continuing the cast iron week

chicken.jpg

And the plate..

chickenplate.jpg

It's a root mash with mushroom & shallots and some good ol' roast chicken drizzled with the pan glaze

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Continuing the cast iron week

chicken.jpg

And the plate..

chickenplate.jpg

It's a root mash with mushroom & shallots and some good ol' roast chicken drizzled with the pan glaze
Don't have a cast iron pan. Closest thing I got is one of those big black Rock grill pans using Rock Tec. Rest of my gear is nonstick. Tempted to buy a small cast iron pan to try it. Seen them on sale for $30.

This is what I got at home.
1423438_1

Mamofish

Don't have a cast iron pan. Closest thing I got is one of those big black Rock grill pans using Rock Tec. Rest of my gear is nonstick. Tempted to buy a small cast iron pan to try it. Seen them on sale for $30.

This is what I got at home.
1423438_1

I highly recommend getting one, it's easy to clean and maintain and I use it all the time. I got rid of a bunch of pans and pots to keep the kitchen simple, would never get rid of the cast iron.

Tailzo

I think you are low key using this topic to pimp your wifes youtube channel. "I told her she should make more videos" - has been uploading videos every day for a month.

This topic is for real cooking by real people, not to promote "Me too" professionally produced Youtube channels.

Anyone looking for Asian cooking channels can find them, like Seonkyoung Longest. Asian, boobs, personality and cooking.

Offcourse I want to show off her stuff. But it is true she that she isn’t sure about filipino food being interesting for other people. It’s a bit like myself when thinking about norwegian food, it’s normal food for me so it is not interesting. She is not a pro though, just a normal person that I think is a great cook.

I get your point though and I will stop posting her videos.

Liljagare

It's easter so making traditional smörgåstårta.

Ingredients, lots of seafood, dill, chopped red onions, chopped green onions, caviar, gravlax, smoked salmon, and did I mention dill? 4 layers, top layer is with smoked ham. Anyone interested in making one, hit me up for some good recipies and tips!

gU7amzPpI2kTTAjyUGP-txzYB5oLqupDDyjEdC_Vej3jz1hOs-1A8ePEOVrQZf1gVzrdkDrp2CkwRGKqu37OgppRnDklJSPMKkgH.png

Last edited:

Liljagare

My personal recipy for the above, took a while to write up.. :p Ate halv of it though!! Foooooood coma coming up!

Put all the creme freche (fresh cheese) in a cloth or coffefilter, to let it run off, and dry a little, preferably overnight. For this cake it's alot so I use a food cloth.

Layer 1: Layer out your first layer of bread, 30 by 40 cm. Use toast bread, slice the edges off. 600 gram of smoked salmon, deboned 400 gram 5 green onions, diced. 2 dl mayo 1 dl of lemon mayo 3 dl of light creme freche 2 teaspons of lemon juice.
Mix everything together and spread on layer 1, assemble bread for layer 2.

Layer 2: 8 hard boiled eggs 300 grams of freshly peeled and chopped shrimp (Size 70/90) 300 grams of creme freche, preferably with horseradish flavour, or, you can mix 30 grams of horseradish into natural creme freche. 2 dl of light creme freche. Season mix with salt, pepper, dill, and thyme, to taste. Split the eggs, take out the yolks, spare the white for garnish. Mix the rest of the ingredients and spread evenly. Assemble bread for layer 3.

Layer 3: 300 grams of gravlax 2 dl of freshly chopped dill. 3 dl of creme fresh 2 dl of lemon mayo 1 dl of chopped dill White pepper to taste.
Assemble bread to layer 4

Layer 4: 2 dl of smoked chopped turkey 2 dl of smoked ham, of artisan quality 3 dl of light creme freche
Blend and spread.
Assemble top layer of bread.

Topping/Garnish: 6 dl of creme freche 2 dl of whipped cream The eggwhites from earlier
Important, whip both cream and creme freche to hard peaks, or it will all melt off the sides. Fold the cream and creme freche together.
400 gr of gravlax 2 lemons, sliced 400 gr of handpeeled shrimp 60/70 (big ones) 300 gr of shrimptails (boiled in beer/dill, traditional swedish style, do not use cajun style) 80 gr of the best caviar you can afford 400 grams of sliced in half cocktailtomatoes. 3 dl of freshly chopped parsley 3 dl of freshly chopped dill 1 cucumber, sliced. 1 red finely onion chopped.

Make the top and sides look pretty! :p Try to twirl the gravlax into roses, I can never do this, the meat all falls apart. Toss the chopped dill and parsley all over. You can decorate it as you want, use your imagination.

The most important thing is whipping the cream and creme freche to hard peaks, or everything will run off the sides. Since it is alot of seafood, montage shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes, preferably work in a cool area.

You can elect to make the layers differently, meatballs, hams, cheezes, other types of seafood, etc. But, the most important part is the spread for the top, 2/6 parts heavily whipped cream to fresh cheeze, if you miss this, the spread will start to melt and everything will slide off the smörgåstårta.
Will try to proofread, feel free to ask questions.

You can build the base the night before if you want, it actually tastes better if you do, since all the juices soak up in the bread, and then garnish it 3 hours before servings.

Creme freche is a type of semihard fresh cured cheese available here, but I am pretty sure I have seen it in most countries. For this seafood cake, one flavoured with horseradish is yummie, or you can just buy horseradish and grate it into the cheese, about 30 gr to 300 grams of cheese.
The recipy reads like alot, but it's really simple, you just chop alot and assemble some bread.

nush

Ingredients, lots of seafood, dill, chopped red onions, chopped green onions, caviar, gravlax, smoked salmon, and did I mention dill? 4 layers, top layer is with smoked ham. Anyone interested in making one, hit me up for some good recipies and tips!

gU7amzPpI2kTTAjyUGP-txzYB5oLqupDDyjEdC_Vej3jz1hOs-1A8ePEOVrQZf1gVzrdkDrp2CkwRGKqu37OgppRnDklJSPMKkgH.png

Salad cake, feeds a family of ten.

Tailzo

Reminds me about ingrediends used in norwegian «snitter». Is this a swedish dish?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Anyone have a good recipe for chicken adobo (did I spell that right?) and spicy pancit? On a Filipino food kick lately and the place I used to pick my Filipino food up from had to close up and move to another city :(

Bluntman

Hey guys, I have a question mainly for our American friends (or anyone really) who watched House of Cards.

You guys know when Frank's eating BBQ ribs at Freddy's. I'd like to know what's that meal is made of. I guess it's a usual meal in America but not here in Central-Europe.

I know ofcourse there is the ribs part of it, but what kind? Is it pork or beef? Does anyone have a nice recipe how do it just like in the show?

But more importantly, what are the other stuff on the plate that he is eating it with? There seems to be something like a bread-like stuff but it isn't bread I guess and maybe some veggies?

Sorry I can't find a proper picture from the show on Google, but if you saw the show you probably remember, and I guess it most be common in America, so you might just know anyway.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hey guys, I have a question mainly for our American friends (or anyone really) who watched House of Cards.

You guys know when Frank's eating BBQ ribs at Freddy's. I'd like to know what's that meal is made of. I guess it's a usual meal in America but not here in Central-Europe.

I know ofcourse there is the ribs part of it, but what kind? Is it pork or beef? Does anyone have a nice recipe how do it just like in the show?

But more importantly, what are the other stuff on the plate that he is eating it with? There seems to be something like a bread-like stuff but it isn't bread I guess and maybe some veggies?

Sorry I can't find a proper picture from the show on Google, but if you saw the show you probably remember, and I guess it most be common in America, so you might just know anyway.

Yea, I came up in the southern US. We have to assume that Freddy is serving up South Carolinian style ribs, which is why Frank enjoys them so much. Which means it's going to be wet wings (not a dry rub) with a vinegar heavy sauce, roasted or grilled a little first before being coated in sauce, grilled more while being periodically basted with more sauce.

I looked around for you and it seems like maybe the best tutorial is from Binging with Babish: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/6/13/freddys-ribs-inspired-by-house-of-cards

Bluntman

Yea, I came up in the southern US. We have to assume that Freddy is serving up South Carolinian style ribs, which is why Frank enjoys them so much. Which means it's going to be wet wings (not a dry rub) with a vinegar heavy sauce, roasted or grilled a little first before being coated in sauce, grilled more while being periodically basted with more sauce.

I looked around for you and it seems like maybe the best tutorial is from Binging with Babish: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/2017/6/13/freddys-ribs-inspired-by-house-of-cards

Thank you good sir! =)

Do you by any chance know anything about the side stuff?

Peggies

Gold Member
Hi there, native English cooking GAFers. I have a quick question concerning sugar. I want to make that cake and am confused about the difference of casting-and icing sugar. If I ask Google it says they are basically the same thing but I also read caster sugar can be substituted by brown sugar.

I'm confused now, please help.

Also: Nigella Lawson rocks!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thank you good sir! =)

Do you by any chance know anything about the side stuff?

Oh sorry. First, they're definitely pork ribs. Beef ribs are in the midwest (Kansas, et al).

As for the side dishes look up search terms like "traditional style Carolina baked beans" and "cole slaw". I can't recall the entirety of the scene, but by "bread-like stuff" perhaps you're referring to grits? It's basically boiled cornmeal, prepared kind of like how one makes a risotto. If that's not what you're talking about maybe screenshot what you mean?

Bluntman

Oh sorry. First, they're definitely pork ribs. Beef ribs are in the midwest (Kansas, et al).

As for the side dishes look up search terms like "traditional style Carolina baked beans" and "cole slaw". I can't recall the entirety of the scene, but by "bread-like stuff" perhaps you're referring to grits? It's basically boiled cornmeal, prepared kind of like how one makes a risotto. If that's not what you're talking about maybe screenshot what you mean?

Thanks again!

I found one scene on YouTube, also did some screenshots. So I was thinking about that yellow rectangle shaped stuff :)

EvsIKKS.png

7G7wEuz.png

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thanks again!

I found one scene on YouTube, also did some screenshots. So I was thinking about that yellow rectangle shaped stuff :)

EvsIKKS.png

7G7wEuz.png

Oh my man that is cornbread! One of my favorites. From the looks of it that looks deep southern style. Try googling "southern cornbread recipes". It varies greatly by state but that is chunky and less crumbly, so that looks like either Virginian or Georgian (I know I wrote "deep south" but then mentioned Virginia, but the weird thing about Virginian cuisine is that although it is the most northern southern state, the food feels like it came from hundreds of miles away). Thing about cornbread is it can either be sweet or not, so you can toy with your recipe to include more or less sweet components to your taste.

Last edited:

Bluntman

Oh my man that is cornbread! One of my favorites. From the looks of it that looks deep southern style. Try googling "southern cornbread recipes". It varies greatly by state but that is chunky and less crumbly, so that looks like either Virginian or Georgian (I know I wrote "deep south" but then mentioned Virginia, but the weird thing about Virginian cuisine is that although it is the most northern southern state, the food feels like it came from hundreds of miles away). Thing about cornbread is it can either be sweet or not, so you can toy with your recipe to include more or less sweet components to your taste.
Thank you! Seems like work is cut out for me for next weekend =)

Maybe one last question: the sweeter or non-sweeter cornbread is just a matter of taste but both go well with ribs? Which one do you prefer personally?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thank you! Seems like work is cut out for me for next weekend =)

Maybe one last question: the sweeter or non-sweeter cornbread is just a matter of taste but both go well with ribs? Which one do you prefer personally?

I like cornbread that is only slightly sweet. It's really just a matter of taste as cornbread is meant to be eaten on its own and not mixed with other stuff.

Raven117

I really need to take more pictures.

Did a grilled quail with a coffee/honey vinaigrette that was absolutely excellent.

MrMephistoX

Anyone have a good recipe for chicken adobo (did I spell that right?) and spicy pancit? On a Filipino food kick lately and the place I used to pick my Filipino food up from had to close up and move to another city :(
I’d love to know too: randomly Amazon gave me
someone else’s order so I have a huge bottle of Goya Adobo seasoning and canned adobo peppers and I have no idea what to make with them? 🤣

Raven117

I’d love to know too: randomly Amazon gave me
someone else’s order so I have a huge bottle of Goya Adobo seasoning and canned adobo peppers and I have no idea what to make with them? 🤣
Yall are looking for Chicken Tinga served with fresh corn tortillas.

This is a recipe for carne guisada (also excellent), but add chicken (about 3 breasts and chicken stock (a little less than one can, kinda have to eyeball it) (instead of beef and beef stock). You want to get this into a somewhat thick stew you can put on a taco with some of it running out but not all. Substitute the toasted peppers (the ancho) with a can of chipotle with adobo sauce (careful, this can be hot, so be mindful of how much you put in), take out the serrano....and boom. You have one hell of a chicken tinga recipe.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Yall are looking for Chicken Tinga served with fresh corn tortillas.

This is a recipe for carne guisada (also excellent), but add chicken (about 3 breasts and chicken stock (a little less than one can, kinda have to eyeball it) (instead of beef and beef stock). You want to get this into a somewhat thick stew you can put on a taco with some of it running out but not all. Substitute the toasted peppers (the ancho) with a can of chipotle with adobo sauce (careful, this can be hot, so be mindful of how much you put in), take out the serrano....and boom. You have one hell of a chicken tinga recipe.
These?
ZKc4oGH.jpg

Raven117

Yes sir. Those are it. Again, careful with the heat. I like it hot so I use the whole can with sauce. Others just use two tablespoons of sauce. Others a few peppers and two tablespoons of sauce. Just put in as much to your comfort level with heat.
If you decide to give it a go, be mindful of the liquid. Beef obviously takes awhile to cook, chicken will be quicker.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Hi there, native English cooking GAFers. I have a quick question concerning sugar. I want to make that cake and am confused about the difference of casting-and icing sugar. If I ask Google it says they are basically the same thing but I also read caster sugar can be substituted by brown sugar.

I'm confused now, please help.

Also: Nigella Lawson rocks!
Favor Please GIF by swerk

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Oh, sugar sugar!

Caster sugar is about the consistency of fine sand. Using granulated sugar might mean that your dish has a grittier or more uneven texture than intended, and if you're baking a cake it will definitely have a heavier texture.

You can make your own caster sugar by grinding granulated sugar in a coffee grinder (you can clean a coffee grinder by grinding rice in it, by the way). Grind it until you've reduced it about half in volume/it looks like sand.

If you grind for too long, you get icing sugar (US confectioners sugar) which is a powder. (with added anti-caking agents)

Commercially available icing sugars contain anti-caking agents, but most often that's tricalcium phosphate (whatever that is).
Now, I know that US confectioners sugar always contains corn flour as the anti-caking agent.

It is powdery, and tends to clump together, so it is sold mixed with corn flour as icing MIXTURE.

tl;dr: Caster sugar = sand consistency , Icing sugar = cocaine consistency

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Oh, sugar sugar!

Caster sugar is about the consistency of fine sand. Using granulated sugar might mean that your dish has a grittier or more uneven texture than intended, and if you're baking a cake it will definitely have a heavier texture.

You can make your own caster sugar by grinding granulated sugar in a coffee grinder (you can clean a coffee grinder by grinding rice in it, by the way). Grind it until you've reduced it about half in volume/it looks like sand.

If you grind for too long, you get icing sugar (US confectioners sugar) which is a powder. (with added anti-caking agents)

Commercially available icing sugars contain anti-caking agents, but most often that's tricalcium phosphate (whatever that is).
Now, I know that US confectioners sugar always contains corn flour as the anti-caking agent.

It is powdery, and tends to clump together, so it is sold mixed with corn flour as icing MIXTURE.

tl;dr: Caster sugar = sand consistency , Icing sugar = cocaine consistency
I see! Thank you very much, my dearest German Hops German Hops

Offcourse I want to show off her stuff. But it is true she that she isn’t sure about filipino food being interesting for other people. It’s a bit like myself when thinking about norwegian food, it’s normal food for me so it is not interesting. She is not a pro though, just a normal person that I think is a great cook.

I get your point though and I will stop posting her videos.
Honestly just keep posting them, I enjoyed the Filipino recipe.
The people being triggered by you posting your wife's videos when they keep posting videos from the same professional youtubers are being hypocrites.

I prefer the original amateur recipes from our own GAF members, rather than popular cooking channels that you can easily find on Youtube anyway.

That being said, the mashed potatoes were horribly clumpy though, you don't use a fork and a hand mixer. You use this:

41XGBO0ZkLL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Anyway, here's my recipe for quick and amazing peanut butter cookies:
  • 100 gr. regular Butter
  • 200 gr. Cane Sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 200 gr. flour
  • 1 spoon of baking soda
  • 100 gr. Peanut Butter
  • 1 spoon of liquid bourbon vanilla
  • chocolate and/or caramel chips
  • crushed nuts
Step 1:
Put the butter, sugar and peanut butter into a large bowl and stir it with a big wooden spoon (or use a mixer) until it is creamy. Might take a while if you stir it manually and your wrists might take a toll, but it's totally worth it.

Step 2:
Add the eggs, baking soda and the vanilla and keep stirring until it's well mixed and creamy.

Step 3:
If you want you can add chocolate, caramel and nuts.

Step 4:
Carefully fold in the flour, don't mix it too much and stir slowly.

Step 5:
Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour or so. If you prepare the dough for the day after, make sure to put the saran wrap on top of the dough so that it doesn't have contact with air and grow a skin.

Step 6:
Take two soup spoons and make dough balls. Put the dough ball on baking paper. Don't worry if they are not perfectly round, heat and gravity will transform them into perfectly shaped cookies!

Step 7:
Preheat the oven to 180 °C and put them in there for 12 minutes.

Step 8:
Let the cookies cool down for a little while and frikkin' enjoy!

Last edited:

Tailzo

Honestly just keep posting them, I enjoyed the Filipino recipe.
The people being triggered by you posting your wife's videos when they keep posting videos from the same professional youtubers are being hypocrites.

I prefer the original amateur recipes from our own GAF members, rather than popular cooking channels that you can easily find on Youtube anyway.

That being said, the mashed potatoes were horribly clumpy though, you don't use a fork and a hand mixer. You use this:

41XGBO0ZkLL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Anyway, here's my recipe for quick and amazing peanut butter cookies:
  • 100 gr. regular Butter
  • 200 gr. Cane Sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 200 gr. flour
  • 1 spoon of baking soda
  • 100 gr. Peanut Butter
  • 1 spoon of liquid bourbon vanilla
  • chocolate and/or caramel chips
  • crushed nuts
Step 1:
Put the butter, sugar and peanut butter into a large bowl and stir it with a big wooden spoon (or use a mixer) until it is creamy. Might take a while if you stir it manually and your wrists might take a toll, but it's totally worth it.

Step 2:
Add the eggs, baking soda and the vanilla and keep stirring until it's well mixed and creamy.

Step 3:
If you want you can add chocolate, caramel and nuts.

Step 4:
Carefully fold in the flour, don't mix it too much and stir slowly.

Step 5:
Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour or so. If you prepare the dough for the day after, make sure to put the saran wrap on top of the dough so that it doesn't have contact with air and grow a skin.

Step 6:
Take two soup spoons and make dough balls. Put the dough ball on baking paper. Don't worry if they are not perfectly round, heat and gravity will transform them into perfectly shaped cookies!

Step 7:
Preheat the oven to 180 °C and put them in there for 12 minutes.

Step 8:
Let the cookies cool down for a little while and frikkin' enjoy!
I had never even seen this thing to make mashed potatoes, and neither has my wife. This must be both easier and lead to a better result :)

I have asked my wife to make a video about lumpia, since all my friends love it when they eat it here (well used to before corona...). But instead she has been focused on cakes and norwegian food lately :p I won’t post any video though, as I understood that it can seem like bragging. :)

Top Bottom