• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
cyenN6l.jpg
:messenger_open_mouth:

Was ist das?

nush

Gold Member
Damn, that looks great. why didn't you tag me in? Perfect yorkies there, well done mate. Downside, is you should have foil wrapped the meat and cooked it slower as you should have had a lot of juice left on the bottom of the tray to make a gravy with but you've burnt it all off. Keep going, I'm here to help you get that perfect roast dinner.

MrMephistoX

Damn, that looks great. why didn't you tag me in? Perfect yorkies there, well done mate. Downside, is you should have foil wrapped the meat and cooked it slower as you should have had a lot of juice left on the bottom of the tray to make a gravy with but you've burnt it all off. Keep going, I'm here to help you get that perfect roast dinner.
Thanks for the support ;) Yeah I had this leftover in the freezer since the roast we got for New Years was too big so that also may have eaten up the juices. It looked fine but I took it out to do the yorkies and put it back in: that’s when the pan burning happened so all good the roast itself was cooked well and flavorful. Now I just need to decide how to use the leftovers...definitely not wasting food gold by boiling the bones to make some stock. The recipe I used caused for blending the flour eggs milk and salt and I have to say that really made a difference!

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
This didn't turn out right.

kmTz5C2.jpg

Saw this chicken recipe on Youtube today, I had the ingredients on hand so I gave it a shot. I think the problem was the tiny ass Chicken breasts you get in China not holding the cheese and things in place. I'll try again and use less of them next time. Kind of tastes like a pizza but with a Chicken breast instead of a bread base. looklikeshit,tastesgood/10

(Turn on subtitles unless you are German)

MrMephistoX

This didn't turn out right.

kmTz5C2.jpg

Saw this chicken recipe on Youtube today, I had the ingredients on hand so I gave it a shot. I think the problem was the tiny ass Chicken breasts you get in China not holding the cheese and things in place. I'll try again and use less of them next time. Kind of tastes like a pizza but with a Chicken breast instead of a bread base. looklikeshit,tastesgood/10

(Turn on subtitles unless you are German)

To be fair American chicken breasts might as well be implants: they have zero flavor and are artificially enhanced. I go thigh 9:10 x.

Last edited:
Slow cooked some Spicy Buffalo Wings with blue cheese sauce on the weekend. So yummy, it's tough to stop devouring these things. Between my wife, son and I it's on for an eating contest. Daughter like 'em but doesn't chow down like we do. Ignore the sad garden salad with no dressing, just a basic raw salad to balance things out.

Protip: we get these Chicken Spare Ribs instead of wings as you get way more meat and they cook really juicy still, plus just one bone in them (super easy to eat).

xBzDje8.jpg

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Slow cooked some Spicy Buffalo Wings with blue cheese sauce on the weekend. So yummy, it's tough to stop devouring these things. Between my wife, son and I it's on for an eating contest. Daughter like 'em but doesn't chow down like we do. Ignore the sad garden salad with no dressing, just a basic raw salad to balance things out.

Protip: we get these Chicken Spare Ribs instead of wings as you get way more meat and they cook really juicy still, plus just one bone in them (super easy to eat).

xBzDje8.jpg
Wings are so damn good I might try that tip on my usual marinade with the Chinese cut ribs per your suggestion.

Wings are so damn good I might try that tip on my usual marinade with the Chinese cut ribs per your suggestion.
My local poultry butcher is Chinese owned and yes they own, great place to shop. All sorts of wonderful cuts and quality in there. Just remember to ask for the skin on if you want that with the spare ribs as they can come with or without skin. They tend to dry out or burn if you don't have the skin on, we marinade/rub and then face the skin side up and oven roast from there.

MrMephistoX

My local poultry butcher is Chinese owned and yes they own, great place to shop. All sorts of wonderful cuts and quality in there. Just remember to ask for the skin on if you want that with the spare ribs as they can come with or without skin. They tend to dry out or burn if you don't have the skin on, we marinade/rub and then face the skin side up and oven roast from there.
That’s cool I’m in the San Fran Bay Area so we’re spoiled with multiple Chinese, Japanese and Korean markets that do that cut: but if you go to Safeway or Albertsons they’re clueless.

If I’m feeling too lazy to drive to the Asian marts or am out of state I just get Country Style ribs and use a super heavy super sharp cleaver to chop them into the Chinese cut myself.

Last edited:

Mamofish

Two meals this week so far:

A spaghetti squash quiche - roast the squash and get out the spaghetti goodness then mash it against your greased pan for a crust. Fill with your favorite breakfast fillings!

squashquiche.jpg

Shakshuka with a sun dried tomato sauce (Sauce isn't pictured since I put it on when serving)

shakshuka.jpg

Tomorrow is a roast chicken with root mash ragu, really using the cast iron this week.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Two meals this week so far:

A spaghetti squash quiche - roast the squash and get out the spaghetti goodness then mash it against your greased pan for a crust. Fill with your favorite breakfast fillings!

squashquiche.jpg

Shakshuka with a sun dried tomato sauce (Sauce isn't pictured since I put it on when serving)

shakshuka.jpg

Tomorrow is a roast chicken with root mash ragu, really using the cast iron this week.
I just love cast iron.

Top Bottom