• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

My turn!

Final Fantasy's characters, story, and dialogue are, for the most part, absolutely fucking terrible. Second hand embarrassing cringe worthy garbage. If you actually think this Japanese Hot Topic trash is any good, than I suggest you get a MRI scan on your head you cunt.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: I rest my case.

Last edited:
I have a few, though I'm not sure all of them are controversial:

2. Nintendo would be better as a third party, as their hardware is basically a scam in terms of performance.

3. I don't see the point of Rogue-likes, it just seems like a cost efficient way to trick the user into thinking they got more content than they actually did, it's all randomly generated generic level layouts in the end with some silly gimmick.

4. Never liked FPS all that much, and I never will. Movement is limited and sluggish compared to a third person game, it's impossible to relate to a character you never see and they all play the same, the only variables that change are walking speed, if you can jump on walls and whether there's some traversal gimmick. I honestly don't get their staying power.

5. Games can only be improved with a strong plot, great characters and memorable events. People that just want to play with no context for their games and look at games stories with disdain are ignorant snobs.

Lol to all of this. A 3rd party Nintendo would be one with less liberty to make newer IP (i. e. Splatoon, ARMS), and would charge even more for those "dreaded remasters".

People who value story over gameplay are snobs with filmic pretenses. Games are miles below other media in terms of story and character.

I like my games gamey. If, and this is an admittedly imprecise dichotomy, I could only have one or the other: killer gameplay with a cipher for a character in a nonsense story, or a game with impressive lore/characterization but mediocre gameplay, give me the former any day.

I think mobile gaming has a future and will eventually have AAA games on it. Services like Apple Arcade can be a good way into bringing developers to the mobile gaming space. Platinum, Square Enix and Capcom are slowly realising this.

And I hope it happens. The moment I can play a AAA like game on my iPad or iPhone, is the moment I give up on buying consoles.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm all for diversity and free expression of people's uncensored vision in games, but I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see a battle royale game with a black female who's six feet tall with a giant Foxy Cleopatra afro in the center of the artwork.

I liked Perfect Dark more than Goldeneye.

I largely hate platformers.

I think indie games and the people who cum all over them are about as cool as indie music.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think battle royale games (PUBG, Fortnite, etc) are so boring and creatively bankrupt that I actually find myself looking down upon people that enjoy them. Even children. They're on the same level to me as people who, by their own choice, watch Jamie Kennedy movies and enjoy them. On a fundamental level we could never be friends. Acquittances, but never friends.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think battle royale games (PUBG, Fortnite, etc) are so boring and creatively bankrupt that I actually find myself looking down upon people that enjoy them. Even children. They're on the same level to me as people who, by their own choice, watch Jamie Kennedy movies and enjoy them. On a fundamental level we could never be friends. Acquittances, but never friends.

This user is my spirit animal.

People enter games with far too much confirmation bias and their opinions will be predetermined.

As I recently played both RE8 and 2 remake I have to say 8 is much better. The only part of 2 which is equal is the police station. Both good, 8 better. The main shortcoming of 8 was the puzzles to me.

To poke the hornets nest:
GoW 2018 has a terrible narrative premise.
It underused it's own lore and more egregiously failed to take full advantage of Norse mythology from a storytelling perspective.

Sony have never published a top tier shooter. Their closest was Killzone 2.

I want to keep going but some of us can only handle so much truth.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I think it's best if Nintendo consoles don't sell too much as they are now. It leads them to get too comfortable, and keep pushing subpart products at premium price.

However, i still like their games and don't want them to stop making consoles. I don't want them to adhere to every industry trends either. I just want something more worth the value from them. If Nintendo switch was not such tremendous success, you bet OLED would just replace the current model instead of being more expensive.

Fire Emblem is my least favorite Nintendo franchise. I always found the gameplay bland. Not to mention the plot and characters. Awakening just turned me off even more.

twerkouting

Banned
I think it's best if Nintendo consoles don't sell too much as they are now. It leads them to get too comfortable, and keep pushing subpart products at premium price.

However, i still like their games and don't want them to stop making consoles. I don't want them to adhere to every industry trends either. I just want something more worth the value from them. If Nintendo switch was not such tremendous success, you bet OLED would just replace the current model instead of being more expensive.
I think this is the case with the current leadership and the pandemic rattling everybody. It was the perfect storm to find some laurels on which to rest.

FStubbs

I think mobile gaming has a future and will eventually have AAA games on it. Services like Apple Arcade can be a good way into bringing developers to the mobile gaming space. Platinum, Square Enix and Capcom are slowly realising this.

And I hope it happens. The moment I can play a AAA like game on my iPad or iPhone, is the moment I give up on buying consoles.
You'll be able to play actual AAA games on Steamdeck

Perrott

Gold Member
Far Cry 2 is the greatest FPS game ever created and Medal of Honor 2010 is the greatest military FPS ever created.
Huh, now I'm curious about MoH 2010, might try it out later.

My controversial opinion is that God of War 2018 is a mess of a game and probably the worst AAA title released by Sony during the PS4 generation.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I feel all big titles from the PS4 all felt the same - third-person, open-world, climb-a-thons that kinda started to feel stale for me in the way that essentially all Ubisoft games have for the last five years.
I think the quality is definitely there, but holy shiiiiiiiiiiiit all that fusking climbing. Uncharted was basically a ridiculous climbing simulator that rewarded you with 8 minutes cutscenes every three minutes (of climbing).

RafterXL

Dons flame suit:

Days Gone was more fun than God of War or Ghost of Tsushima. People also don't like it when you point out that GoT is basically an Ubisoft game or that Kratos was better without his annoying spawn tagging along.

The Nintendo Switch is a piece of shit. Complete garbage hardware, the worst controllers in the modern era, and utterly awful as a home console. The hardware is so bad it actually makes games less enjoyable to play, which is why mine has been collecting dust for years now. The 4k "pro" not being a reality was the biggest disappointment of this gen.

Jrpgs are the worst genre in gaming. The characters, storylines, gameplay are all just idiotic. The majority could cut 90% of their content and be substantially better for it. And yes, FF is trash and has gotten progressively worse since the advent of voice acting. It doesn't help that weebs act like anything from Japan is mana from heaven, seriously, fuck weebs.

Oh, and flight sims are 100% games. I can't tell you how many hour I spent *playing* Falcon 4.0 back in the day, but I guess Gran Turismo isn't a game now either?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Virtual hobby?
Well I am not English native speaker, so maybe, I guess. I guess just "hobby" is fine and for some a lifestyle. Like someone trucking whole week and then playing EuroTruck simulator on weekends. So even though I have PPL, I am currently enjoying locations where I don't posses licence to fly to.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've played every Halo from Spartan Assault to ODST (except the Dave and Buster's Halo game) so don't come for my neck lol but Halo has felt redundant for a while now

Even Halo 5 Guardians with clambering, ground pound, etc. still felt like the same game I've played already

With that said, there's only so much you can change in a FPS

Last edited:
I've played every Halo from Spartan Assault to ODST (except the Dave and Buster's Halo game) so don't come for my neck lol but Halo has felt redundant for a while now

Even Halo 5 Guardians with clambering, ground pound, etc. still felt like the same game I've played already

With that said, there's only so much you can change in a FPS
I agree. I was a huge Halo fan, but the game is dead to me. I simply can't enjoy it anymore, it's boring and bland.

Mostly was because of how 343i was managing the franchise. Now I simply don't give a damn about it.

Huh, now I'm curious about MoH 2010, might try it out later.

My controversial opinion is that God of War 2018 is a mess of a game and probably the worst AAA title released by Sony during the PS4 generation.
Yes if you've never played it and have any interest in history about the War in Afghanistan then play it! It's based on real life events and partially written by Navy Seals. The final mission also showcases the battle in which John Chapman was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor on the peak of Taku Ghar.

Lunarorbit

I actually agree with lots of these opinions!

Final fantasy has felt bland forever. The protagonists in the last several games look the same and the story hasn't been doing for me since 7.

Sony putting out the same game for most of their first party studios is kinda accurate too. Ps is my favorite out of the big 3 but too much 3rd person action games.

For me pokemon is like babies first Rpg. I remember when final fantasy mystic quest came out it was so dumbed down cause the Japanese leaders at Nintendo were scared that it would be too complicated for Americans. Thats how pokemon feels to me. I like the art and character design, enjoyed the movie, and I even have a Pikachu in my car as a totem but those games are a slog. I know they're for kids but when I was in middle school I laughed at the series gameplay and my opinion hasn't changed

Ageism and generational gaps in opinions , much worse actually , you could easily be labeled old obnoxious for favouring playing tough games with harder difficulties, kids nowadays are looking for reasonsing and for what feels right , to me , they're just limiting themselves from having great experiences and putting unnecessary constraints for not getting what the devs actually intended to experience their crafted artwork , it's their way , not the kids way.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I adore the Dark Souls series - it is my favorite set of games ever and I see myself revisiting each game many times for the rest of my life.

Having said that, I think Bloodbourne is trash. It's like an emo kid's full conversion mod and I hate everything about it.
I like Dark Souls 3 ever so slightly less as I feel Bloodbourne got its stank on it a bit.

Tschumi

I think Halo shoulda ended after the first game, and that everything that followed was luekwarm cash cow pinata beating dross...

I think female characters occupying personality types outside of 'sexystrong' 'sexydependant' and 'sexyugly' is no big fucking deal and people should buy penis enlargement tablets

i also couldn't give two flying fucks about the 'creeping' increase in representation for minorities in movies and games, again people who get triggered by this are the most basic of the basic, and have no self awareness... imagine thinking duke nukem is a classic then getting triggered to the point of whiny bitch-ass tears by Abby's biceps in TLOU2... seriously guys locate your fucking testicles

(i keep referencing testicals and thin dicks because in my mind's eye only people with serious dissatisfaction with their manliness/individual appeal and ability to attract the persons they desire would get triggered by strangers who have found a happy place in themselves... whatever that place may be... i mean, it's not my fucking cup of tea but what the fuck has it got to do with me? nothing, that's what, and that may partially be because i can nail bae any time i want)

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Some of my general controversial ones:

Microsoft's first party games have not been good enough so far. Very average and meh. I'm sure it will pick up.. but so far... Very uninspiring. I enjoyed a few of these games like Wastand 3 but it didn't blow my mind.
Blow my mind MS!

Sony's PS5 first party games are not going to be as good as the PS4s output. Those were the golden days and won't be topped.

Nintendo is heading towards another WiiU era when their Switch successor arrives - This time with no 3DS like system to fall back on. I feel LIKE with the Wii before it, they've become too cocky and people are going to get bored..

Last edited:
The Switch sucks. I have some credit at gamestop and whenever I'm tempted to go buy one I check out what games I'd want. Zelda, that's basically it. The hardware's a generation behind and the game prices suck. How does this thing sell so well?

Top Bottom