• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

ksdixon

How often are you in a setting where 30min+ gaming sessions are practical while out of reach of a PC or console which by almost every metric imaginable is a superior experience? And is that time really often enough that you'd rather pay for a dedicated handheld, purchase games separately for it, carry it around, ect, instead of reading a book, listening to a podcast, browsing, or playing some stupid game on your phone which you'd have with you anyway?
I can still listen to a podcast whilst playing on a handheld device.

I'm not always able to, or desire to, be chained to a big TV in the living room where my PS5 is. What if it's 4am or something. Some chilled ps4 portable in bed would be sick. Without feeling like I have to get the life support machine out with this wired into that, power plug-in over there etc.

I will say I'm pretty much talking ps4 portable here rather than a VITA 2 with its own games library, those costs are already taken care of by ps4 digital purchases etc.

nekrik

The medium was
Difficult People Reaction GIF by HULU

Fighting games are lame. They’re fundamentally still the same as they were thirty years ago. The genre has seen no real evolution since the days of Street Fighter 2 and Tekken 1. I would even argue that the genre never truly made the jump to 3d; they’re still limited to the same strict side-perspective they had during the 2d era (except for some ‘cinematic’ takedowns).

Bushido Blade on PS1, with its optional 1st person perspective and the ability to freely move around the arena, was the first and only time that a fighting game seriously tried to embrace all 3 dimensions (at least as far as I’m aware). Unfortunately, the game (and its sequel) seems to have been a fluke, and the genre hasn’t moved forward at all.
The issue, to me, is that when a fighting game goes truly 3d, it stops being a "fighting game" in the traditional sense. See: the DBZ Tenkaichi Budokai series, or Magical Battle Arena, who end up playing almost like a more complex TPS.

Also, there's a good reason Bushido Blade didn't meet success: the first game at least was such a mess, from the controls to the balance, that it's already a miracle it got a sequel (I didn't know it did, so I learned something new at least).

not in order:
Sony should get rid of its western gaming division and focus on making more game play heavy games
Sony fans that praise the vita and want a 2nd one are delusional since the only reason the system got any games was because of the JP devs that they censored.
Sony fans and xbox fans are two sides of the same coin each of them hype of western AAA games and GOTY awards 24/7
Sony japan died because the average sony fan plays nothing but western games or free to play BR games
GASS games can be done well if there is a steady flow of content.
MS is the only one left that makes semi arena shooter :IE halo and gears
The wii and wiiu are underrated especially if you can soft mod both of them and play games that were stuck in japan.
The gaming community killed the 6v6,12v12 fps genre because br
BR games are boring and you spend way to much time running around with nothing happening.
Spider man ps4 is overrated and doesnt get close to any of the batman games
Jrpgs have better stories and gameplay then wrpgs just play ys or nier.
Nintendo has surpassed sony in the gameplay department since the ps2
MS makes better racing games then sony
Valve and sony are tied with releasing hardware that gets at best a 1yr support before it drops.
Cyberpunk 2077 is better than GTA 5 sp in almost every single way
AC4 is what killed AC
Nintendo makes the best gimmicks
Korean and JP mmos always had better gameplay then wow

MMO's and any form of gatcha gaming and other addictive practices to hook you on a game are complete trash.

This includes garbage like Genshin impact, Fifa, FF IV,...

mxbison

There is nothing wrong with calling game developers lazy or shit. Every job in the world has people that are lazy or shit, game development is not an exception.

The anti-woke crowd is just as annoying as the woke-culture themselves. Always finding something to bitch about or just make shit up when there is nothing.

Last gen was mostly shit and so far this gen is looking to be shit as well, unless VR takes off which it probably won't yet. Development priorities are all wrong, who gives a shit how many polygons the eye lashes are made out of? Make games more interactable and gamey.

Azurro

Banned
I have a few, though I'm not sure all of them are controversial:

1. I don't care about online gaming much. I play once in a while, but I honestly for the life of me can't understand the people playing round after round for hours of COD. That also goes for all GaaS or strictly online multiplayer titles like pubg.

2. Nintendo would be better as a third party, as their hardware is basically a scam in terms of performance.

3. I don't see the point of Rogue-likes, it just seems like a cost efficient way to trick the user into thinking they got more content than they actually did, it's all randomly generated generic level layouts in the end with some silly gimmick.

4. Never liked FPS all that much, and I never will. Movement is limited and sluggish compared to a third person game, it's impossible to relate to a character you never see and they all play the same, the only variables that change are walking speed, if you can jump on walls and whether there's some traversal gimmick. I honestly don't get their staying power.

5. Games can only be improved with a strong plot, great characters and memorable events. People that just want to play with no context for their games and look at games stories with disdain are ignorant snobs.

I have a few, though I'm not sure all of them are controversial:

1. I don't care about online gaming much. I play once in a while, but I honestly for the life of me can't understand the people playing round after round for hours of COD. That also goes for all GaaS or strictly online multiplayer titles like pubg.

2. Nintendo would be better as a third party, as their hardware is basically a scam in terms of performance.

3. I don't see the point of Rogue-likes, it just seems like a cost efficient way to trick the user into thinking they got more content than they actually did, it's all randomly generated generic level layouts in the end with some silly gimmick.

4. Never liked FPS all that much, and I never will. Movement is limited and sluggish compared to a third person game, it's impossible to relate to a character you never see and they all play the same, the only variables that change are walking speed, if you can jump on walls and whether there's some traversal gimmick. I honestly don't get their staying power.

5. Games can only be improved with a strong plot, great characters and memorable events. People that just want to play with no context for their games and look at games stories with disdain are ignorant snobs.
Yup, the Nintendo point is spot on.

Their hardware is complete sh*t and they over price everything. Having to pay 50+ dollars for old games is just pure greed....what's even worse is some hardcore ninty fanboys defending this.

yamaci17

I don't like people keep saying AC is not AC anymore due to mythological ISU stuff

For me, AC was always about the clash of two ideaologies, ISU slavery and humanity's freedom. Just because it takes different forms and stuff doesn't make them bad AC games

And ISU was there even in the first game. The very first Apple of Eden we saw is their creation. And then second game explored the plot further. Literally, Minerva Juno and Jupiter appear before Ezio... And people still keep bashing on new AC games being too unrealistic. They have more freedom to do stuff because the ISU is not yet discovered by hidden ones/asssasins/templars. Once templars tart to discover ISU and stuff, they conceal it. The very reason why magic and stuff is dwindled in current ages because Templars supressed. They even silenced a scientist who found out that humans were not evolutionized from monkeys (in game's lore, ISU transformed humans into what they are). These kind of clues always hinted that templars suppresed ISU presence in world. Hence Odyssey and Origins have lots of magic and monsters, because it can. There's no one to supress it. And even if common people see them, later generations won't. There are no cameras, there are no recording devices. These monsters, creatures and events became "legends". Once technology is shifted onwards, organizations like Templars supressed such as evidences. And most creatures/monsters were defeated by heroes such as Kassandra anyways.

So if you're a real AC-Isu lore fan, these games always deliver. It seems as if people didn't care about The Truth video in AC 2. Adam and Eve are assasins too, by their ideology of running away from their slave masters, but you can bet that they won't use hidden blades or use shadows on their operations. But if a game were made about these two, it would still named Assassin's Creed and people would get mad even further.

I don't know if this is controversial or not, but I hate people bashing on new AC games not being actual AC games. Okay, I guess, they just want a hooded dude with a hidden blade, they got it, and they're still not satisfied. What can I say?

Whitecrow

Banned
Some opinions without arguments are making me want to leave the internet and go to the beach and have some deserved zen moments.

PD I also "hate" retro pixel art games. Yeah they are cool for the people who make them because they acocmplished something, but in the end they bring nothing big to the table.

zephiross

I don't like people keep saying AC is not AC anymore due to mythological ISU stuff

For me, AC was always about the clash of two ideaologies, ISU slavery and humanity's freedom. Just because it takes different forms and stuff doesn't make them bad AC games

And ISU was there even in the first game. The very first Apple of Eden we saw is their creation. And then second game explored the plot further. Literally, Minerva Juno and Jupiter appear before Ezio... And people still keep bashing on new AC games being too unrealistic. They have more freedom to do stuff because the ISU is not yet discovered by hidden ones/asssasins/templars. Once templars tart to discover ISU and stuff, they conceal it. The very reason why magic and stuff is dwindled in current ages because Templars supressed. They even silenced a scientist who found out that humans were not evolutionized from monkeys (in game's lore, ISU transformed humans into what they are). These kind of clues always hinted that templars suppresed ISU presence in world. Hence Odyssey and Origins have lots of magic and monsters, because it can. There's no one to supress it. And even if common people see them, later generations won't. There are no cameras, there are no recording devices. These monsters, creatures and events became "legends". Once technology is shifted onwards, organizations like Templars supressed such as evidences. And most creatures/monsters were defeated by heroes such as Kassandra anyways.

So if you're a real AC-Isu lore fan, these games always deliver. It seems as if people didn't care about The Truth video in AC 2. Adam and Eve are assasins too, by their ideology of running away from their slave masters, but you can bet that they won't use hidden blades or use shadows on their operations. But if a game were made about these two, it would still named Assassin's Creed and people would get mad even further.

I don't know if this is controversial or not, but I hate people bashing on new AC games not being actual AC games. Okay, I guess, they just want a hooded dude with a hidden blade, they got it, and they're still not satisfied. What can I say?
From my point of view the issue lies more in the fact that the gameplay ha gone full RPG. I don't have any complaints about the supernatural things, I would love the new AC games without all the RPG mechanics. Something that mixes those vast worlds with exploration and something like a sekiro lite gameplay would really hype me.

sncvsrtoip

Doom eternal and gears of war 5 are not amazing looking games, too plastic, gamy look, ff7r is massivly overhyped, gow is just overhyped

Last edited:

MikeM

I judge games to buy between my Series X and PS5 by the usage of adaptive triggers for PS5. If the adaptive triggers are well utilized, I'll always by it for PS5 over Series X. I'll gladly sacrifice some pixels for that extra immersion.

Shocked What Is It GIF

yamaci17

witcher 3's second half is rushed, most Wild Hunt bosses are crap, we learn more about bloody baron than we learn about eredin and his generals.

%70 of the game's story budget has gone for searching Ciri. i will admit that the adventure of chasing Ciri was very fun, but what came later? rushed. i liked the game a lot, but i will always hate the fact that they botched the second half of the game. all of a sudden u butcher wild hunt generals like they're cakes. no actual plot to build them up as menacing bosses. "oh, that guy is in that mountain, chilling out. lets kill him"...

the game owes its huge success to quality side plots, but I really wish main plot also had a better structure quality. skellige arc, triss/yennefer subplots, blood and wine plot, all of these are miles better than the main plot. choices do matter, and that certainly makes the main plot interesting and fun, but i could've been something more

small_law

Mass Effect never deserved the following it got. Clunky, buggy, ugly, and over-hyped.

Post Gran Turismo 5, why Polyphony Digital still gets Sony money to make Gran Turismo games is beyond me.

Mozzarella

Another hot take i will make is that i think Silent Hill 2 is not the best horror game ever made, in fact i think its just a good game nothing more.
I understand that its atmosphere is strong, the symbolism is done fantastically but beside that i dont think its the masterpiece its praised to be. Actually i want to also add that the Soundtrack is phenomenal.

Silent Hill 2 scare factor is weak, yes it is unsettling and makes you feel uncomfortable but to me if its going to be hailed as the scariest game and best horror game of all time it has to be scary and give me tense moments there was none of that. I felt more of that in Resident Evil Remake.
Gameplay wise the game is janky, the tank controls were annoying which i found a bit weird because i enjoy classic RE controls. I guess they are just more polished. The combat in Silent Hill 2 is a joke, its so easy and boring it makes any monster encounter a piece of cake, the bosses are so easy to beat even the overrated Pyramid Head. RE bosses are better. The story itself as i said is good but its praised too over the top because of the pretentious hardcore fanbase! its not really that amazing, there are better stories in gaming. The most annoying thing is the cult that follows this game, a lot of them are toxic and unable to accept a different opinion. We got people shitting on amazing popular games like BOTW and Witcher and Dark Souls, so why Silent Hill 2 is an exception? its not, the gameplay of that game is crap and the combat is one of the worst. The sound design is also awful, not the OST but the sounds. The art direction also falls short to games like RE.

I didnt include it in my first post here because its still a very good game, its just not as the masterpiece imo.

In terms of action combat gameplay horror titles it loses to Resident Evil
And in terms of scare factor pure terror it loses to Amnesia TDD and Alien Isolation both which are far more scary and tense.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sticker Star and Color Splash are two excellent Paper Mario games.

The Mario & Luigi series is so much worse than Paper Mario, it’s not even funny. I’ve played 3 games out of 5 and not one of them managed to not outstay its welcome. They’re all needlessly long and repetitive. I couldn’t even be bothered to finish the Superstar Saga remake.

People who think the wah-wah in the NSMB Wii theme and the OST from Yoshi’s New Island are that bad need to have their ears checked.

Glad I am not the only one. After Amy left ND went to shit!!! Crap writers and Cuckman having too much say. It sucks as I loooved, Uncharted 1-3. Each one was amazing!
I hated playing as young Drake and Amy forced me too many times. Too many times. Too early in the game. BHAM! Now your an inept child. Enjoy.

- Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the best game of the last generation, and it is easily the best written.

Disco-Elysium-Review-Featured-Image.jpg

Last edited:
the only naughty dog game i ever liked enough to finish was tlou 1. uncharted 4 is the only game i think i have actually fallen asleep playing. i guess their games are just not for me but i can understand why other people like their output.
I completely agree with you except for the last of us. That game is so fucking boring, I can't understand how people like it. TLOU II on the other hand is amazing.

tr1p1ex

that gaming mostly sucks. :)

but seriously ...with many of the games and franchises if you've played one then you've played them all. IT's the same sht. with a few changes. there is no reason to slog through another 10 hrs or 20 hrs per game.

Ok by mostly sucks I really am saying there are only so many unique entertaining concepts out there and even fewer genuinely good executions so once you've played through one, you've played them all sorta speak. it is mostly been been there, done that.

Really all the industry is doing is republishing Monopoly again and again each time with some new graphics, and if you're lucky, a few new pieces, a few new spaces on the board and 2 new rules that just change stuff to change stuff and create new issues. And then sometimes they go back and rerelease/remaster Classic Monopoly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom