• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial gaming opinions you have that could end in you being labeled a hater or troll?

- Fallout 3 and 4 are so bad, I never managed to play them for more than 10 hours
- Halo is a kiddies game with all of that jumping and screaming little aliens
- BotW is the worst 3D Zelda, by far
- Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario game
- RE4 was the beginning of RE's ride to mediocrity
- RE8 was a good game, but a bad RE
- RDR > RDR2
- FF9 is the worst (but not a bad) PS1 FF

Okay I'll take the bait, what games DO you like

Dream-Knife

Banned
God of War 2018 wasn't a good game.

SMT is better than Persona.

Xenoblade 2 is the best game on Switch.

Consoles are largely irrelevant these days.

Wind Waker sucks, and Twilight Princess is boring.

Mario games haven't really been good post-64.

DKC2 is the best SNES game.

Star Fox Adventures was the best single player game on Gamecube.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I just do not enjoy Naughty Dog gameplay (except for the basic puzzles in Uncharted). Technically, the games are fantastic, but the action setpieces feel patronizing, the gunplay is a chore, and the cutscenes are like something out of a TV movie.

I dunno, they're just not for me. I do always like to see what they're working on, but I stopped buying Naughty Dog games on the hype and critical acclaim a few years ago and have never regretted it.

I've also never liked Gears of War for similar reasons.

Oh, and I do NOT like Animal Crossing, but for totally different reasons.

Last edited:

Cryio

The only good Halo campaigns are 3 and Reach. 1 and 2 are mind numbingly dull. All Halo stories are mediocre.

Call of Duty campaigns are fun for what they are.

Assassin's Creed III has the best story in the franchise and it's the best or 2nd best written game in the franchise (around or just slightly below Assassin's Creed 1)

Far Cry 2 is an inherently more interesting game than Far Cry 3.

Crysis 2 is the best Crysis (mostly due to best written story and most set pieces)

Doom 3 (the original with the flashlight gimmick) is an amazing game and I don't understand why other people think otherwise, except if they didn't play it for more than 30 minutes.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is a vastly better title than Human Revolution.

Dead Space 3 is flawed, yes, but it's a brilliant, 9/10 game.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Sony may be doing well with PS5 sales, and critically acclaimed AAA game review scores...

But their policy changes, consumer communication, marketing directions all suck dick. Riding high off the back of PS4 gen has it's advantages for sure, but I feel like the tide is turning. They're lucky their games have been critical darlings, but I wonder what happens when some of them don't light the world on fire, Sony lose the major feather in their cap, and the other issues suddenly are less forgiven.

Nintendo Switch is one of the worst consoles they have ever produced.
Blasphemy! The Wii era was the darkest time for Nintendo.

BrilliantQualifiedBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

cIFVO1f.gif

arvfab

Banned
Okay I'll take the bait, what games DO you like

Why do you care?

I could tell you, that I like all (or most) of the other Zelda games.

Or that I liked the Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin games.

That I prefer single-player, story-driven games to multiplayer only or GaaS games.

That I love Point and Click adventures and don't mind playing visual novels.

I could tell you, that Shadow of the Colossus is probably my favorite game ever.

Or that for me, TLOU2 is a masterpiece.

What would that change?

ksdixon

I outright mocked the news that XB was going to stay with the XB1 dashboard. Then they revamped the Store and the XB1 dashboard one final time, finally got it the best it'd ever been in my opinion, then the XBSX better hardware made it run smooth as butter.

I'd give me right nutsack right now to be using the PS4 dashboard menu with the PS5 hardware. The reversal of my own opinion was somewhat eye-opening.

wolywood

Final Fantasy VII is a better game than VI in almost every possible metric (and I'm not even talking about the graphics). Better battle and character upgrade systems, still one of the most memorable/beloved casts of protagonists of any game to date, a far more interesting and diverse world to explore, and a villain who wasn't just an obvious Joker ripoff. VI has the edge when it comes to music, but only slightly.

dotnotbot

Skyrim is really bad at almost all the things that are important for a good RPG. I love the music and it made the exploration bearable and semi-relaxing, but overall story, characters, design of locations, combat are all bland and awful in my view.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AAA games suck and most of the budget goes into marketing. The total production cost + marketing costs is often a net negative, but the investors in these games have ulterior motives. These games are optimized for the sake of keeping you engaged, which pays in multiple ways for their purposes.

A lot of social media comments around AAA games being awesome comes from astroturfers. I believe I can spot a few here, but I won’t call them out.

The “console wars” among companies has turned into a war for your attention, which is why you see Amazon, Google, Netflix, etc jumping in. The one who controls the attention of the masses holds the ultimate power to shape society.

People who get hyped for AAA games are well trained consoomer NPCs.

Nintendo is only free from this cancer that is killing true joy in the gaming industry because it is still a Japanese company that resists takeovers, but being a publicly traded company makes them extremely vulnerable and will eventually be their demise.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
I like Xbox. I am clearly in the minority as Xbox consoles sell like shit, but they truly are the better devices here with the more interesting games.

There were some excellent games on the original Xbox and while it was called a personal computer in a gaming form factor, that was also the beauty of it. Jade Empire, the Kotor games, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, Fable, Halo, the Oddworld games, Serious Sam, Splinter Cell series, Morrowind. I still want to play Arx Fatalis too. On the 360: Project Gotham Racing, Gears of War series, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Condemned 1/2, Dead Rising, Earth Defence Force 2017, Crackdown, many XBLA indies, Saints Row. Viva Pinata was good, fuck you. Most of the Xbox One generation was lost due to a bunch of loons in charge of the thing, but the Series consoles are shaping up to be great. And a lot of these are actually playable on the Series S/X!

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sony exclusives but with an Ubisoft splash screen would score from 10 to 15 points less on MC and would be treated like just another AAA game by fanboys.
This forum in general knows jack shit about PC gaming.
Switch first party games are way worse than Wii U and Wii.
Killer instinct is the best FG of the generation but it was released on the platform that its cool to hate.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I’m sure many would agree with the following statement:

99.9% of AAA games that were released last gen could’ve been made on PS3/360 with with worse graphics, but no fundamental changes to their gameplay.

But I’ll go even further and say this:

90% of AAA games that were released last gen could’ve been made on PS2 with much worse graphics, but no fundamental changes their gameplay.

This might sound extreme, but I don’t think it is. Would Uncharted 4 really have been impossible on PS2 from a gameplay perspective? Considering that even the PSP got its own Assassin’s Creed game, with a fully featured open world and the same core gameplay features from the main games, I can’t think of many games on PS4/XBone that wouldn’t have been possible on PS2 (with PS2-level graphics and animations, of course). The only exceptions I can think of are multiplayer games with large numbers of players (like Battlefield), and games with a large amount of interactive objects that are constantly being tracked (like Fallout 4 or Skyrim). But most of the rest could’ve been realized on PS2 with some changes, without fundamentally changing the gameplay structure of those games (by extension the same is true for most PS360 games).

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The arrival of the Battle Royale genre like Fortnite and mobile games doomed the video game industry.

Bioshock 1 not only seems an unpleasant game to me, but its artistic concept is repulsive to me, the story at least for me does not hook me, I do not understand why it has had many awards.

Western games, they will never be better than the Japanese

Gaming died when the dreamcast died. Since then it's been a slow decline. There have been some decent games.

The best MMOs were non EverQuest/wow-type MMOs like Ultima online, Ragnarok online, starwars galaxies and mabinogi

Most popular stuff is bad for a legitimate reason, it won't meet your expectations and plebs enjoy popular things and have no concept of sacred hidden esoteric vidya game knowledge because I live an exhilarating life understanding gaming on a deeper plane of reality

MaKTaiL

I hate Nintendo games.

RDR 2 was a boring game through and through and should not have even entered as GOTY contender. I'm glad God of War took it from them. RDR 1 is a masterpiece though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom