• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contradictory reports surface on whether Demon's Souls has or doesn't have RayTracing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So we don't like Ray Tracing now?
Now it's not important again, until further notice
More like, looking at Demon’s Souls, it’s not really needed.
It's got to be important enough that Sony's own web site still says DS has RT.

Demon’s Souls from Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games
From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.

Banned
So what, the game looks amazing, I would be pissed if they over-promised and under-delivered like MS did to Halo Infinite.

of course you need to bring up a Microsoft game now, to be expected.

the thing is that they used buzzwords as promo, and it now might turn out to be a lie.
that is a lie in order to make the product seem more impressive than it is.

I can only imagine what the kinds of you would do if the roles were reversed and this was a Microsoft game.
by the fact that you instantly brought up Microsoft as some kind of weak defence tells me you would have a field day if it was reversed.

also, they could even get in trouble for this if they don't remove the PR blurps fast on their website.
this is false advertising and they could be sued.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

of course you need to bring up a Microsoft game now, to be expected.

the thing is that they used buzzwords as promo, and it now might turn out to be a lie.
that is a lie in order to make the product seem more impressive than it is.

I can only imagine what the kinds of you would do if the roles were reversed and this was a Microsoft game.
by the fact that you instantly brought up Microsoft as some kind of weak defence tells me you would have a field day if it was reversed.

also, they could even get in trouble for this if they don't remove the PR blurps fast on their website.
this is false marketing and they couoe be sued.
Who is being defensive? I don't care how games achieve great graphics, I care about what I see on the screen, and so far Sony is the one delivering.

If it makes you feel better, I think all the fuss about that WD XSX gameplay being 1440p is bollocks too, it still looks great. But Craig is unforgivable.

FrankWza

I find it crazy that nobody knows how to tell if something has ray tracing. A few days ago DF said DeS was 1440p and they’re supposed to be experts. As of now, it’s confirmed that we watched a trailer the other day in dynamic 4K @ 60fps and it’s the best looking game we’ve seen. So cinematic mode will look better but most everyone will play in performance mode anyway that was never going to have RT.

I wish Sony put out the cinematic trailer and watched all the “experts” talk about RT and THEN leak from the director how it doesn’t. That would have been amusing. Just to have everyone explain how they were fooled by Bluepoint using shadow effect and lighting and how we don’t even need ray tracing. Just to save face.

Montauk

I find it crazy that nobody knows how to tell if something has ray tracing.

Is it? RT reflections are much, much easier to notice and identify than, say, RT Global Illumination. To say nothing of RT audio, which you wouldn't be able to pick up in a trailer.

PSYGN

Hope this game sets out the precedent that ray-tracing is a choice and that devs shouldn’t go out of their way to implement a feature that is so subtle yet so intensive on resources just to appease their dev egos and silly game critics who fall into the hype.

Evilms

Banned
ucvj07s.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ray tracing isn't just reflections 😐😐😐
You're right. It also includes lighting in the game. As claimed.

He says this in that article. Google translated from Spanish.

Another word we've heard hundreds of times is ray tracing . Are we going to notice it so much? Lighting seems a key element in Demons Souls .
Indeed, one of the novelties is ray tracing, now you will see more realistically when lightning hits a tree and sets it on fire. That is brand new and never existed in the original. Now we can do it because we have all that power with PS5. It's great.

Demons Souls for PlayStation 3 is an incredibly dark game. What we have done is, after evaluating the power of the PlayStation 5, we realize that we no longer had to activate or deactivate any light source, but we have been able to include light in real time thanks to ray tracing. So every aspect of the game lighting is in real time. It is dynamic. We have used the lighting as a way to guide the player through the levels, as little hints of where to go.

FrankWza

Is it? RT reflections are much, much easier to notice and identify than, say, RT Global Illumination. To say nothing of RT audio, which you wouldn't be able to pick up in a trailer.

but these are supposed experts. That’swho I’m referring to. Not forum experts;)
These people that do analysis. Most of them don’t know much more than you can find with a quick google and some comprehension. I’m not impressed. Some guy was on here pretending games don’t look better as a generation goes on and developers become more familiar with the technology. It was nonsense. I know what I see and feel. Just because it can’t be explained behind fancy terminology doesn’t mean shit. We’ve been playing games a long times and We know when something looks great or plays great. I want experts to tell me what I don’t know.

Self

Just because it can’t be explained behind fancy terminology doesn’t mean shit. We’ve been playing games a long times and We know when something looks great or plays great.

Dude, you really need to learn how to trust our Gaf pixel counting RT experts...

mnlcU0Y.gif

BlackTron

If this is true then it makes perfect sense and it demonstrates this particular game not having RT doesn't tell you much.

It's a pity you can't drop the dynamic 4k for 1080 instead to get higher than 60FPS. I would prefer 144hz 1080p.

Kikorin

I don't care tbh, it looks so good, RTX or not. Fun fact, not even DF is sure about RTX beeing in the game or not, imagine beeing that much interested in something that you can't even tell if is on or off just by looking the game 😂

I'm convinced that RTX will be the future of real time graphics, but today's hardware simple is not enough to use it properly.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't care tbh, it looks so good, RTX or not. Fun fact, not even DF is sure about RTX beeing in the game or not, imagine beeing that much interested in something that you can't even tell if is on or off just by looking the game 😂

I'm convinced that RTX will be the future of real time graphics, but today's hardware simple is not enough to use it properly.
You will be able to tell when playing it if you know what to look for and have control of the camera. That said, I agree that RT reflections aren't all they impressive. Global illumination is, but I doubt any games will be able to do this on these consoles.

Top Bottom