• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console War Thunderdome |OT| We Don't Need Another Hero

So, can I say with absolute honesty that as someone who was so Pro-xbox from the year 2000 to 2010... they've been really bad especially this generation... how do I mean?

Gears of War... okay... let me be honest with you, as much time as I spent in Gears of War in 2006/2007 and as much as I loved it back then I don't think it's aged well at all and no longer care much for it, so keep that in mind... starting with Gears of War 2 my love affair died, and now I don't even love the first, the second game included all this cinematic garbage and variety nonsense instead of focusing on a pure combat experience. Gears 1 on co-op on Insane was a fun challenge, in 2 it was an annoying clusterfuck with so many ways to insta-die you can barely avoid. It was a worse campaign, a worse story and I've never found the MP appealing. Gears 3 was even WORSE, one of the more boring games I've ever played and a certain character's "epic" death is retarded because he could have easily done other things besides what he did, it's so clearly manufactured to have fake drama. 4 was another boring game I didn't bother finishing, but hey, it looked pretty good. 5 again... I got about halfway and got sick of it, honestly not sure it looked better than 4 but that's more art design than tech, 4 had some cool looking "spooky" environs. Overall I think this franchise is dusted by the combat in Uncharted and doesn't come close to the thrills of Resident 4, a game it was inspired by.

Halo... I'm a huge Halo fan, Halo CE is easily among my top games, 2 was a bit of a disappointment at launch, the campaign went for set piece moments and more linear sections over the giant combat arenas of the first which were so good for Legendary co-op. It also was ridiculously hard to play on Legendary, nowhere near as balanced as CE. That said, still a great game that expanded the lore and evolved the story and some of that scripted stuff? Really cool and epic. Dual-weilding was fun, tbh. It left me cold on the multiplayer, tho, did I enjoy swording people to death? Yes, but Halo CE was a game I enjoyed with friends on couches on multiple TVs with multiple XBOX's hooked together, it was amazing, a blast. Playing online just wasn't the same and even couch MP didn't appeal to my friends as much due to the weapons and balance and maps, we ended up returning to CE's mp. Halo 3 was much better than 2 but still not at the level of 1, but damn if they tried. Again I barely cared about the MP. Halo ODST and Reach I enjoyed a lot, but they don't touch the original trilogy for me. In comes 343i... 4 and 5, from what I've played, are Halo in Name Only. I will reserve a certain level of judgment for when I play them completely.

State of Decay 2 - I legit thought this game was bad and I liked the first. It felt like a glorified mobile game and I was barely even getting fun out of it even in co-op with a friend I consider pretty funny.

Sea of Thieves - More like Sea of Snooze, have they made it better? Is it fun to captain a ship with friends? Yeah sure, but every mission is the same damn thing.

Crackdown 3 - As a big fan of Crackdown and a person disappointed by Crackdown 2 this so far seems not as good as 1 or as bad as 2... which is fine. It doesn't feel like something that could only be done on current generation consoles, it barely feels like it's evolved much of anything from the first. More Crackdown is more Crackdown but why did it take so long to deliver just more of the same?

Forza - I don't like racing sims and never will

Sunset Overdrive - This game is essentially empty calories, but pretty!

Ryse: Son of Rome - One of the blandest good looking games I've ever played, I'd see people talk about how the early God of War games didn't have the depth of a Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry... well imagine playing a game that doesn't even have God of War depth and the cinematic moments don't compare either, what an absolute boring slog this game was.

Ori - Legit really good Metroidvania with amazing visuals! A little too easy for my taste but still great, haven't played the new one yet.

Quantum Break - I thought this was great, hugely underrated but I love time travel, I even thought Timeshift was a great game. It's not as good as Alan Wake and the TV show stuff was retarded.

Dead Rising 3 - Worst entry I've played but it's neat how many zombies they fit on screen. Can be fun but it's missing so much of the identity of the first two that made them special.

911 Operator - Pretty fun small game

Titanfall - Fun multiplayer! But didn't buy until 5 dollars because you need a campaign to feel like a real value to me.

D4 - Really interesting but then it ends and has no continuation, way too short, I need a real ending.

Dungeon of the Endless - Awesome game that I've dropped over 70 hours into, very addictive fun

Killer Instinct - Never been big on fighting games but I like the KI franchise and this feels like a good continuation from my playing of it

Overall this has been an incredibly underwhelming generation for Microsoft for someone like me and my tastes in gaming. I don't blame anyone for taking the Sony pill this past generation, I don't think it requires being a fanboy, it just means your tastes were better represented by Sony this generation. I know that's true for me. I may even make the list for them as well and go through all their exclusives I played... btw no need to point out how many of these are playable on PC, most of them that IS where I played them, we're using the term exclusive loosely here which I'll also do for Sony when I get to it.

Onto PS4...

Bloodborne - Ah... contender for my favorite game of all time, need I say more?

Days Gone - My GOTY 2019, taking down a horde is immensely satisfying

Detroit: Become Human - David Cage's best game... not saying much, though

Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair - To be fair this is an updated version of 2025 which is available on XBOX 360, but it's the version I'm more familiar with and I love it, possibly my favorite EDF

God of War - In contention for my GOTY 2018, simply awesome game

Horizon Zero Dawn - In contention for my GOTY 2017, simply awesome game

inFamous Second Son - Underrated and gorgeous but fumbles the final sections a bit

Killzone Shadow Fall - Not as good as 2 but I loved it all the same, there are certain level concepts I'd love to see expanded upon, from the open non-linear ideas of one of the first stages to the destructibility of another stage, but I do appreciate it's Half-Life 2-like approach to variety in level concepts

The Last of Us Remastered - The definitive version of one of the best games ever made

Nioh - I'm not too big on this, it's like a more Ninja Gaideny Souls game but with free-to-play excess bs, too much worthless loot, too many repeated environs and the level design is especially lacking for a game re-using areas so often

The Order 1886 - It's by no means a great game but I enjoyed it as a tech showcase besides the dumb Werewolf boss battles they repeat

Street Fighter V - I dunno, it's just another fighting game to me

Space Hulk: Deathwing Enhanced Edition - Fun horde mode game that feels like the closest we'll get to a video game of the movie Aliens, while still being very accurate to Warhammer lore

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - Best way to experience this amazing trilogy

Uncharted 4 - Best combat/graphics in an Uncharted game

Until Dawn - Enjoyable game for a horror fan, actually has decisions that matter unlike a Telltale game

Beyond Two Souls - LOL stupid fucking game

Blacklight Retribution - OKAY budget shooter

Earth Defense Force 5 - Another awesome entry

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - One of the best fighting games ever

Helldivers - Neat little game

Resogun - FUN shmup game!

Spelunky - Pretty fun roguelike game, definitely funny

Strafe - Sort of underrated retro roguelike shooter, not amazing or anything but fun

Some games the list is missing like TLOU II and Ghost of Tsushima are because I'm waiting for PS5 to dive deep into them, what I've experienced is enough to like them but not enough for real verdicts and I would rather wait on playing a better version of them whether it's simply they get patched upwards or get a re-release, same goes for Spider-Man, though that game I just totally missed out on for some reason despite all the hoopla around it. The PS5 launch is going to have great games for me regardless of the launch line-up basically.

So if I was to do a scoring system that's arbitrary and based on how much I like the games here's what we'd get...

Xbox 1/Xbox One S/Xbox One X/Game Pass for PC - 40 (Highest scoring games got a 5 out of a possible 6 points)

PS4/PS4 Pro/PSNow - 85 (highest scoring games got a 6 out of a possible 6 points)

Only one platform had games I'd consider among the top tier of the generation... it also had more quantity of good games. Imagine the score disparity had I included stuff like GoT and TLOU II!!!

btw every game was worth at least 1 point for my scoring system. I honestly feel like I was being really generous giving anything a 5 on Xbox One, may revise later. (Halo MCC would be a 6 without all the issues that STILL affect it)

Sorry if I'm the only person taking this thread seriously, lol.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
A quick recap of recent Xbox exclusives.

3pGVDCh.jpg

Last edited:
Let's stop pussyfooting around the issue, if you can claim Series X is clearly superior to PS5 because of 2 Tflops while ignoring any other facets then you can't tell people Series S is FINE at 4. It just doesn't work. If Series S is good enough for you at 4 then what's wrong with PS5 at 10? And anyone telling me that people developing games on a base-line of a Series S won't leave them slightly held back has to be full of it, held back is not a meme, scaling doesn't work the way they're saying, you don't scale down... you scale up. PS5 will have games built from the ground up to use it, Series X will have games that have some extra bells and whistles but were built for a Series S, unless I'm wrong and games actually don't come out for the S, do third parties have a say in whether they develop for X or S? If they don't will more go just the PS5/PC route? Serious questions here. People kept talking about "wait for DF" but when DF starts doing their videos how well will the S fair compared to two more powerful consoles? Even if X beats PS5 on most multi-plats what are people going to say when Series X has no exclusive that looks half as good as Horizon Forbidden West or a new God of War? Why did Halo Infinite look so bad, for instance?

Okay... Bethesda's most recent output...

Doom Eternal - Great
Fallout 76 - Mediocre
Elder Scrolls Online - Boring
Prey - Awesome
Dishonored 2 - Really Good
Wolfenstein II - Shadow of the first game
Wolfenstein Youngblood - lol

I'd be happy with a...

Doom 3 that continues where Eternal left off
Fallout 5 that's more like 4 (but more like New Vegas would be really good)
Elder Scrolls 6 is like Skyrim but with most the stuff Skyrim cut from past entries
Prey 2 doesn't even need to iterate on the first, just be a new game
Dishonored 3 can continue where 2 left off as well
Wolfenstein 3 needs to not be like Youngblood or 2

If everything goes well we're looking at at least 6 major exclusive franchises with good games within the next 5 years, and it will take probably 5 years at least to get new entries out of all of these. Then there's Starfield, it's an unknown quantity but high hopes.

What do I want to see from SONY besides what's promised, though?

Killzone 5 - Something closer to the quality of 2 but with some of the ideas 4 had like more open levels and more destructibility
Resistance 4 - Make it like 3
Bloodborne 2 - No reccs from me, just make that shit
Uncharted 5 - Combat of 4, pacing of 2
The Last of Us 3 - Combat of 2, story of 1
Ghost of Tsushima 2 - More interesting open world
Days Gone 2 - Less jank
InFamous Third Son - More interesting open world, longer campaign, no bad boss battles
The Order 1887 - Be more of a game
Until Dawn 2 - Why can't you just exist?

Series S is good enough at 4 TF for 1080p, but PS5 has 2 Tflops less than Series X for 4k?

(which will probably not result in worse looking games, though.)

But then the question becomes... why are we advancing a generation to stick at 1080p? Personally I think IQ trumps resolution and always has but resolution is like a little helper. If PS4 Pro can 4K checkerboard most games than a PS5 can definitely hit 4K native for most or all games I'd assume.

But then the question becomes... why are we advancing a generation to stick at 1080p? Personally I think IQ trumps resolution and always has
I think that whole 4k bullshit that no one even needed is what holds this upcoming gen back more than anything else.
Still, I won't upgrade my 1080p TV just to play new games. The Series S would be a great console for people like me. Given that the IQ is sameish to the Series X. If not, well, then I will just wait.

Ar¢tos

Okay... Bethesda's most recent output...

Doom Eternal - Great
Fallout 76 - Mediocre
Elder Scrolls Online - Boring
Prey - Awesome
Dishonored 2 - Really Good
Wolfenstein II - Shadow of the first game
Wolfenstein Youngblood - lol

I'd be happy with a...

Doom 3 that continues where Eternal left off
Fallout 5 that's more like 4 (but more like New Vegas would be really good)
Elder Scrolls 6 is like Skyrim but with most the stuff Skyrim cut from past entries
Prey 2 doesn't even need to iterate on the first, just be a new game
Dishonored 3 can continue where 2 left off as well
Wolfenstein 3 needs to not be like Youngblood or 2

If everything goes well we're looking at at least 6 major exclusive franchises with good games within the next 5 years, and it will take probably 5 years at least to get new entries out of all of these. Then there's Starfield, it's an unknown quantity but high hopes.

What do I want to see from SONY besides what's promised, though?

Killzone 5 - Something closer to the quality of 2 but with some of the ideas 4 had like more open levels and more destructibility
Resistance 4 - Make it like 3
Bloodborne 2 - No reccs from me, just make that shit
Uncharted 5 - Combat of 4, pacing of 2
The Last of Us 3 - Combat of 2, story of 1
Ghost of Tsushima 2 - More interesting open world
Days Gone 2 - Less jank
InFamous Third Son - More interesting open world, longer campaign, no bad boss battles
The Order 1887 - Be more of a game
Until Dawn 2 - Why can't you just exist?
I would prefer a seriously good remaster with added content of Killzone Mercenary (all touchscreen gimmicks removed) instead of Killzone 5.
That game at least was good and many people never played it while a new one has the potential to be as bad as Shadow Fall.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Tbh, this is kind of fun for venting. I’ve been holding back a while, because I didn’t want to feed the console warriors.

Imagine designing a melted candy bar as your new console. Then engineering a stand you think is ingenious, because the console design is too stupid to lay horizontal by itself.

Imagine putting all your faith in 343, and ending up selling your new console with nothing but cross-gen games that look slightly better, while the competition has an entire train of amazing looking games inbound, starting at launch.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Playstation designs since Ken Kutarugi left have generally been the most retarded shit.

From turning the gorgeous PS3 into a plastic piece of junk with bizarre dimensions, to shipping an eraser, to delivering the world’s second weighing scale that plays games, to now an inbred 360.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Playstation designs since Ken Kutarugi left have generally been the most retarded shit.

From turning the gorgeous PS3 into a plastic piece of junk with bizarre dimensions, to shipping an eraser, to delivering the world’s second weighing scale that plays games, to now an inbred 360.

PS5 is masterfully designed :messenger_sunglasses: A phenomenal peice of tech that high-tier tech savvies appreciate more than casuals. The new way of plates customization gonna be so much big, and much better as I won't and didn't buy any stupid limited edition just for looks.

Casuals might have polarizing ideas about the looks anyway, but technically it's mind-blowing.

Xbox on the other hand... looks ok while vertical.

Enough with this formal talk BS.:messenger_winking_tongue:

giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
PS5 is masterfully designed :messenger_sunglasses: A phenomenal peice of tech that high-tier tech savvies appreciate more than casuals. The new way of plates customization gonna be so much big, and much better as I won't and didn't buy any stupid limited edition just for looks.

Casuals might have polarizing ideas about the looks anyway, but technically it's mind-blowing.

Xbox on the other hand... looks ok while vertical.

Enough with this formal talk BS.:messenger_winking_tongue:

giphy.gif

Excuse me, that is a typically more pro-consumer Xbox design.

What if I miss a payment in the winter? Or if I want to grill hamburgers? As usual, Microsoft cares, while Sony doesn’t. Two words for you Bo. Anti. Consumer. And you and the rest of the Snoyboys are just lapping it up.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Excuse me, that is a typically more pro-consumer Xbox design.

What if I miss a payment in the winter? Or if I want to grill hamburgers? As usual, Microsoft cares, while Sony doesn’t. Two words for you Bo. Anti. Consumer. And you and the rest of the Snoyboys are just lapping it up.

Well, I think xbox is indeed versatile. Shame on my one-sided point of view."lollipop_disappointed:

vHpJUZ3.png

Credit: Dodkrake Dodkrake

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I used to give a damn but I'm happy with my lot, I mostly game on a Nintendo switch, 3DS and iphone.

I don't have the time or money to get all systems.

i lived during the 8/16/32 bit wars so do what makes you happy so long as you don't hurt anyone.

ok cool bye bye

Pallas

Ah I miss crazy Ken. PS3 really was a impressive looking console, it felt so exotic and alien, like some kind of crazy alien technology. I felt like not console itself but the technology was too ahead of its time.

Last edited:

Gravemind

So you cant park games on an external hard drive, and then copy them back to the internal when you want to play them? They're seriously making you either pay for PS Plus or storage expansion (whenever that is made available)?

Absolutely pathetic design by Sony if true. Laughable really.

Clarissa

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that Xbox fans are very positive and don't bash other consoles.

Nintendo fans are in their own world and do not engage in console wars as well. They only talk about games. It is only the childish Sony fanboys that engage in console wars and bash everyone.

qg4WdVu.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony says that Xbox fans are very positive and don't bash other consoles.

Nintendo fans are in their own world and do not engage in console wars as well. They only talk about games. It is only the childish Sony fanboys that engage in console wars and bash everyone.

qg4WdVu.jpg
Sounds about right.

Grinchy

Banned
V9jqCgb.png

lmao

There are people who will buy a XSX and defend it on the internet and even tell you it's more powerful while crying into their green pillow under their Phil Spencer poster that's above their bed :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

12 is bigger than 10 so I know everything there is to know about tech specs!

So, a patch made PS5 version of CoD SOMETIMES dip FPS during scripted segments, but reloading a checkpoint eliminates it and hopefully since a patch gave us it, a patch can remove it... then DMC V on PS5 got patched on PS5 to get rid of the 120hz problem.

So... what are we looking at here?

AC Valhalla - PS5 edge
Dirt 5 -PS5 edge
Observer System Redux - PS5 edge
Watch Dogs: Legion - Rumored PS5 edge, waiting for tech breakdowns

DMC V - No tech breakdown post-patch but assumed parity at this point
CoD: Cold War - Waiting on patch but the edge to XSX seems to disappear when re-starting a checkpoint

World's most powerful console? C'MON!

Top Bottom