• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console players, which new / potential free-to-play game do you want to play most?

Which recent / potential free-to-play game do you want to play most?

• Hyper Scape (1st person battle royale arena shooter) - PC now, coming to Xbox and PS4 August 11th

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Rogue Company (3rd person tactical hero shooter) - Currently in paid beta, going free to play soon.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Rocket Arena (3rd person arena shooter mixed with Smash Bros) - Not announced as f2p, see post.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
This isn't a thread about Halo, which has also just been announced as a free to play title. This is a thread about three recently made shooters that are hoping to find an audience.

Rocket Arena has not been announced as free-to-play at all, but it's apparently been a massive failure as a paid product, as if EA learned nothing from the success of Apex. It's already getting huge discounts (upwards of 80% for a game that released two weeks ago) and there's speculation that they're going to have to make it f2p for any hope of saving it. It has a very cartoonish look, and plays like an arena shooter mixed with smash bros style "knockouts." It's on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Hyper Scape is a game some people seem to love, but there's concern that the skill ceiling is too high, with average-skilled players finding it very hard to compete. It plays like if Quake or Unreal Tournament were a battle royale. It's been in open beta on PC, and it'll be available for PS4 and Xbox One on August 11th.

Rogue Company is a 3rd person tactical hero shooter. It's has been announced as free-to-play, but right now is in a closed paid beta. You can currently pay a minimum of $15 for a founders pack and play the game that way, earn a beta key by watching streamers or signing up online, or you can just wait for the game to go free-to-play. It's available for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch.

If there's a free-to-play shooter that comes out soon that I missed, please let me know. Otherwise, which of these would you most be interested in playing and why?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Hyper Scape is actually really good and I love the world events. Weapons could do with being a bit better though and I like the boost system they have by picking up the same one

brap

Banned
Hyper Scape cuz it looks like a game where I can dab on mf's. None of that tactical ass bs.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't know much about any of them but you had me at "it plays like if Quake or Unreal Tournament were a battle royale" so my vote goes to Hyper Scape.

Mista

Banned
Rocket Arena is SO MUCH fun. Been playing it since launch and this game is simply awesome. Unfortunately EA killed it with $30 price tag. They can still save the game by making it f2p

Hyper Scape? Hmm. Played a couple of games and it just didn’t click with me. The only badass thing in the game is when you switch between your primary and secondary weapons

Rogue Company though. Played the first alpha/beta and it was unplayable and so boring. Yesterday I decided to give the “closed beta” a try and god damn the game really turned it around. Plays better and its more fun now. There’s some kind of satisfaction in playing but I can’t tell why

FeldMonster

Halo above all.

But in general 1st person shooters >>>>>> 3rd person shooters, so from your poll, Hyper Scape.

I personally am looking forward to ExoMecha over the others in your poll, though.

Halo Infinite. It’s going to make other F2P games look like a joke.
you forgot halo, thats probably the biggest one, no?
Halo above all.

To be clear, Halo competing in a poll about these three recently released games would be more than a little unfair, which is why I said "new" or "potential" free-to-play game. Halo is an unreleased game, and there's nothing potential about it being free to play anymore. Halo is not included included in this poll, but not because I think less of Halo. Halo will not struggle to find an audience, but that isn't true of these games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
To be clear, Halo competing in a poll about these three recently released games would be more than a little unfair, which is why I said "new" or "potential" free-to-play game. Halo is an unreleased game, and there's nothing potential about it being free to play anymore. Halo is not included included in this poll, but not because I think less of Halo. Halo will not struggle to find an audience, but that isn't true of these games.
Rocket Arena is having a free weekend on Xbox Live and is now part of EA Access for anyone interested in trying it out.

Aion002

Hyper, because it's the first time that ubi tries f2p (I think), so I want to see if they will stick with it. F2p it's not only about success, the game might have a bad launch but if the studio keeps pushing, it might turn out great.

Rogue Company is a Hirez game, they already have a history on F2p and I like one of their games (Smite) a lot, so I think it will do fine and I might even enjoy.

The other game looks bad, has a bad art and they put a price tag of 30 usd on a F2P game.... They can go fuck off.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Phantasy Star Online 2 Neon Genesis.

Oh... shooters...
giphy.gif

Phantasy Star Online 2 Neon Genesis.

Oh... shooters...

These are all shooters, but the larger factor here is release date. PSO2 Neon Genesis doesn't come out until next year.

Is Destruction Allstar f2p? Looks like f2p to me and it looks interesting.

I'd love if it was f2p and it was done well. I think all multiplayer only titles should all be free to play. Just getting someone to play your multiplayer game can be hard enough these days, much much pay for your game when it doesn't have ANYTHING to offer your customers if it's not a success. Hopefully developers will be able to point to Rocket Arena in the future, when publishers are convinced everyone should still pay 30 dollars for a game with no single player features, that already has a battle pass and loads of cosmetic DLC.

I don't really like free to play games, I play Destiny 2 but I was playing it prior to it going free to play and I think the model for it is worse since going free to play... like yeah... I took more extended breaks from it before free to play but I ENJOYED those breaks, now the model is so staggered with its content I can't take a long break without missing something important. Which is nice for people who are on IVs that directly inject the game into them but sucks for people who like to play... other games...

Does Grounded count?

That looks so much fun. I love base building survival games. Though it means i need to get an Xbox and i won't pick up an Xbox just for one game.

Rossco EZ

rogue company, haven’t played it as much as i’d like but from what i have its really fun. shooting feels really good, maps are a decent size and set out well. i like how it feels like a mix of fortnite, valorant and csgo but with a 3rd person aspect. i think if they moderate it well and keep new content coming it will be a solid game.

Top Bottom