• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Confirmed] Xbox Live is no more, will be changed to Xbox Network

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Meanwhile Xbox staff changing thousands of Xbox live help articles to say Xbox network.

Cat Reaction GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Renaming it to network makes it easier to drop the association to console gaming?

"we're in the end game now..."

Its another thing that reminds me of moves they made with their smartphones:

Getting rid of the Nokia name for Lumias.
Renaming the mobile OS Windows Mobile again to drop the phone association.

They even redesigned the OS/UI to be universal across all devices once upon a time. Again, dropping the phone part helps.

Mmnow

It's pretty obvious something is happening with the online service at Xbox. Suffice to say, you don't lightly shutter a branding you've spent 15 years building up.

Gold going free makes sense. It getting bundled with Game Pass makes less sense, but is possible depending how they want to handle things.

What I don't really understand is why this is happening now rather than back in September or November. Some internal checklist probably, but would've been a megaton before launch. I suppose it still would be.

At the very least, here's hoping they're not waiting until summer for an explanation - especially if it's not the "right" explanation.

Mmnow

People are going to get their hopes up about Gold going free again, after how well that worked out last time and the aborted 100% price rise? 😂
The "price rise" supports Live going free or getting transferred to Game Pass.

It's pretty obvious it wasn't about creating a popular, long lasting service.

LMJ

Normally I would say no big deal, but Live is iconic, when most think about online gaming Live comes to mind.. Xbox Network sounds so generic...not even Xnet or the X-Network

yeah this is a dumb move in my eyes...

Duchess

The "Live" name comes from the era when online connected stuff was new and novel, so I suppose some are looking at it now and thinking it's time to bring it into the present.

Vodafone used to have a service called "Vodafone Live" what was launched around the same time (2002). PlayStation Network was at one time known as "Central Station".

Mmnow

The branding change would make more sense if they were changing it to something.

It's not Xbox Network like with PSN. It's a generic "the Xbox network".

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
For casuals to understand when they are playing on their smart TVs?

Network sounds more "connected" than Live.
I honestly have no idea?

Kev Kev

They need to get rid of gold. There are a bunch of games I just can’t play bc I refuse to buy anymore gold memberships. I bought a ton in the past but I just don’t it what it anymore. They will probably try to roll it in with game pass tho, and that’s not exactly what I want either 😒

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
They need to get rid of gold. There are a bunch of games I just can’t play bc I refuse to buy anymore gold memberships. I bought a ton in the past but I just don’t it what it anymore. They will probably try to roll it in with game pass tho, and that’s not exactly what I want either 😒

If Gold goes away you will be just left with a choice of Gamepass and Gamepass Ultimate for online, now they are dropping the pay wall for free to play games I can't see any other outcome in the long term.

Kev Kev

If Gold goes away you will be just left with a choice of Gamepass and Gamepass Ultimate for online, now they are dropping the pay wall for free to play games I can't see any other outcome in the long term.
yeah exactly, and i dont really want that either :messenger_weary:. i just want to be able to play the online capable games that i already own, without having to buy a sub. i have so many games with amazing onlione components that i might not ever play again bc shitty MS requires me to buy aa monthly sub... like what tf other entertainment medium has you buy all this hardware, controllers, and the actual game, then asks you to buy a monthly sub on top of all that? ridiculous

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’d be happier with free online, but if I have to paying the standard fee of £7.99 a month for regular Game Pass (if it was rolled in to Gold) would be the second best option.

Gold sub on its own is £40-£50 for 12 months. Would make the 12 months of Game Pass essentially £46-£56.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I prefer the Xbox Live branding - it quickly conveys that the system facilitates live action such as coop, voice chat, etc.

I really hope they don't change it.

When Blizzard tried to move away from Battle.net, they said the name wasn't needed any more. They backtracked after fans - with decades of attachment to the name - asked them to keep it. Moving from Xbox Live - which has become part of the gaming lexicon - to Xbox Network feels like a similar ploy. And I hope it gets a similar reaction.

Battle.net is iconic. I hope they never change it.

Last edited:

Witchilich

They are calling it the "Xbox network" rather than a brand name like "Xbox Live" or "Playstation Network". They are doing away with branding their online service, hence the lowercase 'n'. Something tells me big changes are coming.

FeldMonster

yeah exactly, and i dont really want that either :messenger_weary:. i just want to be able to play the online capable games that i already own, without having to buy a sub. i have so many games with amazing onlione components that i might not ever play again bc shitty MS requires me to buy aa monthly sub... like what tf other entertainment medium has you buy all this hardware, controllers, and the actual game, then asks you to buy a monthly sub on top of all that? ridiculous
Umm? Most of them? I bought a TV, Soundbar, and Bluetooth headphones and then had to sub monthly to streaming services, and Cable for content. Even if I bought a physical disk for content, I still have to pay for its one time shipping which is akin to the Xbox Live charge. I bought a cellphone, can buy games on it, but still have to pay a monthly service charge to my carrier, even if I were on my home WiFi 100% of the time.

Internet backbone companies charge each other access fees all the time, and could in theory charge you, but the current business model, is that as an end user, you are simply shielded from those charges by your Internet Service Provider, who in turn raises the price you pay.

I don't understand the logic that paying for something that you use, and use often, is somehow unfair. Especially something that is $5 a month paid annually. If you want to connect to their network, you need to pay for access. This is not a hard concept.

For an analogy, I have a fun car (similar in concept to buying a game), yet I still have to for gas (electricity/internet) to run it, and Excise Tax (Xbox Live charge) to use the road.
Another analogy, I own a home (game), pay for gas & electricity (internet access), yet I must still pay property taxes and homeowners insurance to live in it (Xbox Live).

Top Bottom