• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed by Bloomberg: Microsoft brings back Halo veteran Joseph Staten to get Infinite back on track

So everything that people like myself got banned for on reset, were right. That Microsoft's developers outside of maybe Ninja Theory, Obsidian are going to have games ready in the next couple years. Don't expect to see games until 2022-2023 at earliest.
so, you were banned from there because you were saying bullshit, but yet you found it a good idea to come say the same bullshit here...

noice

just go and count how many games has microsoft released this year, new console launch year.
then RE-THINK what you wrote

Papacheeks

Banned
so, you were banned from there because you were saying bullshit, but yet you found it a good idea to come say the same bullshit here...

noice

just go and count how many games has microsoft released this year, new console launch year.
then RE-THINK what you wrote

I was banned for literally asking what they were going to launch with? The same thing Geoff Keighley pointed out in his interview. You seem triggered dude.

I have been on Gaf for 7 years, a lurker for even longer.

My view on xbox has always been they don't treat it the same way Sony and Nintendo treat their divisions. ANd now with everything unraveling at 343 it shows. Maybe not the case with all of their studios but we know what happened to crackdown 3 which was being made by contracted studios. It had tons of contract work, and even Jason commented on that MS structure wise relies heavily on contract work more so than other publishers like Sony/Nintendo.

Ubisoft, Activision and the likes because of their annual releases need contract people. ANd thats a shame, I believe that shows issues in project management and expectations. In terms of sony contract I want to believe the biggest I've seen them lean on was Naughty dog for contract work. Because of the amount of animations, mo-cap and density. I would assume big giant games like Cyberpunk, red dead use contract work because the games themselves have so much density and complexity to them.

If your going to literally act like this then to the ignore list you go.

blah blah blah tons of contract work, and even Jason commented on that MS structure wise relies heavily on contract work more so than other publishers like Sony/Nintendo.
well, that's how things work, especially in big projects

you probably don't know this, but THE LAST OF US 2 had more than a dozen external studios contracted, and many-many-many hundreds of people.
did you know that? now tell me, how does this affect your opinion above?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
well, that's how things work, especially in big projects

you probably don't know this, but THE LAST OF US 2 had more than a dozen external studios contracted, and many-many-many hundreds of people.
did you know that? now tell me, how does this affect your opinion above?

I know it was one of the biggest contracted games they have ever done. ANd that would be because of the amount of animations needed for every npc, animal, clicker, infected. There's tons of death animations when you think about it.

You saying blah, blah tells me your maturity level so im going to put you on ignore.

I know it was one of the biggest contracted games they have ever done. ANd that would be because of the amount of animations needed for every npc, animal, clicker, infected. There's tons of death animations when you think about it.

You saying blah, blah tells me your maturity level so im going to put you on ignore.
not just for animation.
buildings, interiors, exteriors, areas, items, etc, subcontracted
but sure, keep spreading FUD about halo and microsoft first party in general.

and yeah, to be "mature" in your book is to talk nonsense for the console you dont "like", its pretty obvious we have different definitions for the term "maturity"

Last edited:

Coconutt

Hope this guy can turn it around, should have brought him from the beginning now he's going to need to fix the mistakes already there, must be a lot of pressure.

Papacheeks

Banned
not just for animation.
buildings, interiors, exteriors, areas, items, etc, subcontracted
but sure, keep spreading FUD about halo and microsoft first party in general.

and yeah, to be "mature" in your book is to talk nonsense for the console you dont "like", its pretty obvious we have different definitions for the term "maturity"

I've seen you in other threads, literally having fanboy meltdowns. I explain to you my issues with XBox, and viewpoint. You then try to turn it around, and ignore some of my post because you don't want to actually have a conversation on this thread.

There is now people reporting on this and rumors for a while in how 343 has been mismanaged. ANd a lot of it stems from contracted work. And it's not the only title. Not saying other platform holders dont have a huge issue with contracted work.

But a lot of internal studios by Nintendo and Playstation dont outsource as much. Naughty Dog is kind of the outlier because of the density of their games when it comes to like you touched on environments, animations, npc's.
There's a ton. Same goes for large games like Red dead and possible cyberpunk.

But we are talking 343, and it's not like they have not had previous issues. And the bigger thing that a lot of us want to talk about but can't because it seems to hurt your sensibility's on your platform of choice is that Microsoft as a whole uses tons of contract work for most of their software. ESPECIALLY enterprise.
I know because I use a ton of their products at where I work and talk to some of these support people who are third party contracted when we need assistance.

And thats something that alludes to possibly a bigger issue down the road as teams/studios that they have acquired start to expand on bigger projects.
Seriously You literally didn't like what I've been saying so you read one thing in my post and ran with it to try and knock down my argument.

Do what You want, your still going on ignore.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Why did it take five years to get him on board? Is Phil this incompetent his job? The guy should be fired. He's been nothing but an embarrassment for Xbox.

Hudo

Jason Jones was the Project Lead on Halo 1-3 though...
I know but then he proceeded to fuck up Destiny 1 and 2 and alienate Marty and Joseph. I don't think it's all Activision's fault how the Destiny games turned out. Not to say that he didn't contribute to the success of the first Halo games but I think that he might work best when he is not in full control of everything.

But maybe I'm a bit too hard on the guy. I admit that I'm a bit salty at how mediocre Bungie have become. They were one of my favorite devs. Myth 1 and 2 still are among the best RTT games I have played (even better than Warhammer: Dark Omen, which is not a small feat!). The Marathon games were very solid interpretations of the Doom concept. And I still play the old Halo games to this day. Halo 1's split-screen multiplayer ranks among my favorite memories of my childhood. I would even put it above Quake 3, in terms of how much fun I had. I remember how fucking hyped I was about Destiny. And how, even playing the beta and even buying the game, I was fairly apologetic of it. But as more time went by, the more I saw that this game was cut to hell and back. And with Destiny 2, I was willing to give them another chance, thinking "hey, ok. They fucked up with Destiny 1 but surely they have made good on their vision they presented for Destiny 1 with Destiny 2!". Nope. Still a looter shooter with brilliant gunplay and art design but with everything else being mediocre...and that's just not enough (for me).

Last edited:
I explain to you my issues with XBox, and viewpoint. You then try to turn it around, and ignore some of my post because you don't want to actually have a conversation on this thread.

There is now people reporting on this and rumors for a while in how 343 has been mismanaged. ANd a lot of it stems from contracted work. And it's not the only title. Not saying other platform holders dont have a huge issue with contracted work.
Halo is a big brand name. So every article or video is sure to gather clicks.
such a pity that its 99.9% of the times cheap clickbait.
ALL rumors have practically been debunked by ms/343, yet still there are articles from all around "speculating" how they are dropping xbox version, studio is a nightmare, everything is outsourced, they were busy watching halo films, etc.

then, on top of these stupid people are people like you that come up with unbelievable "statements" like "forget microsoft games at least until 2022-2023 the earliest"

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Halo is a big brand name. So every article or video is sure to gather clicks.
such a pity that its 99.9% of the times cheap clickbait.
ALL rumors have practically been debunked by ms/343, yet still there are articles from all around "speculating" how they are dropping xbox version, studio is a nightmare, everything is outsourced, they were busy watching halo films, etc.

then, on top of these stupid people are people like you that come up with unbelievable "statements" like "forget microsoft games at least until 2022-2023"

So you don't think Jason is credible is what your saying?

So a PR/Community manager denies 2022, and we are suppose to believe them? Literally early articles and reporters like Jason were saying since July and even further before the July event people with more credibility than you were saying there were issues at 343.
Jason among others earlier last week were saying contract work being one of the big issues, even from a year ago there were glass door reviews literally saying 100% the same thing that is now starting to come up. We now get confirmation on a big contracted studio is working with 343. Which confirms the use of said contractors. On top of other titles like crackdown 3 which had 2-3 different groups working on it. One of which was Sumo Digital who were 100% only contracted for a specific portion of the game.

So the lead creative director left late last year out of the blue, then was replaced by someone internally who then left 2-3 months later, then was replaced by Lee? Do you not see a pattern? There's way too much evidence that the game internally has had issues. It's getting delayed because of said issues, which seem from leaks, reports and people leaving because of high concentration on contract work. On top of covid.
Also there are other developers who have been outspoken about trying to scale down do older consoles not being super great. If you think that demo which was running on PC didn't run great, which it didn't, then what do you think it will look run like on base xbox one?

You are literally having a meltdown because people are talking about something you like/love, and you think everyone is full of shit. You don't believe any of these reports even if they come from someone with one of if not the best reporting track record.
Seriously halo is not your baby, 343 owe you nothing. Take a break, grab a cup of coffee and chill out for a little bit.
Let the dust settle on this and see how it evolves.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
He is as much involved as he was in Crackdown 3. Stop spreading FUD. In both games he has exactly same credit as Senior Creative Director from Microsoft Studios: Global Publishing Team. His role was pretty much same in almost every MS first party game made by external developer.
I think we are talking past each other here. My point was simply that Halo is in rough shape to necessitate the need for external leadership. Especially Joe, who I believe has earned a reputation for helping troubled projects get over the finish line after he really bucked down with the Crackdown 3 team during crunch. Seems like in addition to what he does on publishing side he also rolls up his sleeves and gets into weeds with teams when it is needed. That's it, that was my point.

first of all, glass door reviews were only 4 or 5, all from contracted people except one.
and the single one that was employed there had written that its too competitive environment and he couldn't take it. godspeed then.

it was based on such "information" that rumor mill started, and persons like schreier tripled-down on it, with absolutely no evidence.
what was the point? "ammunition"

the day microsoft had its presentation, I logged in youtube 5 or 6 hours before the event started to set reminder. I was amazed to see that there already were 7-8 THOUSAND people chatting in the youtube channel.
But they all had one subject of discussion: "Halo sucks, microsoft sucks, xbox sucks"
And that was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen.
Maybe you were there too. You sure speak the same lingo with them.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
first of all, glass door reviews were only 4 or 5, all from contracted people except one.
and the single one that was employed there said that its too competitive environment and he couldn't take it. godspeed then.

it was based on such "information" that rumor mill started, and persons like schreier tripled-down on it, with absolutely no evidence.
what was the point? "ammunition"

the day microsoft had its presentation, I logged in youtube 5 or 6 hours before the event started to set reminder. I was amazed to see that there already were 7-8 THOUSAND people chatting in the youtube channel.
But they all had one subject of discussion: "Halo sucks, microsoft sucks, xbox sucks"
And that was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen.
Maybe you were there too. You sure speak the same lingo with them.

Go re-read your posts dude, Seriously. You sound like your having a break down.

Staten was heavily involved with ReCore too, awesome game btw.

Anyways, aside from the graphics that people seem to think is the worst ever seen in a video game, what is supposedly wrong with this game? It looked like good, old school Halo fun to me. How exactly is it a broken mess? Genuine question, cause I don't get it

Isn't Staten the guys who did the grunt sounds? I remember they were off in Halo 4, but seemed to be right again in Halo 5, which was after Staten joined Microsoft, IIRC.

What don't you get? Like seriously? That looked great to you? They literally showed the absolute best slice of gameplay they had to offer, the BEST you could expect from a game with zero footage/gameplay in over 5 years. That's what they showed. You're impressed by that? LOL

kuncol02

Banned
I think we are talking past each other here. My point was simply that Halo is in rough shape to necessitate the need for external leadership. Especially Joe, who I believe has earned a reputation for helping troubled projects get over the finish line after he really bucked down with the Crackdown 3 team during crunch. Seems like in addition to what he does on publishing side he also rolls up his sleeves and gets into weeds with teams when it is needed. That's it, that was my point.
Maybe a little. Problem is that you saing that last game he was working is Crackdown 3 is not only lie (He "worked" on almost all MS exclusives made be external developers) it also create narrative that Halo Infinity = Crackdown 3 and him working on it is actually bad thing. You can see that even in that thread already.

kuncol02

Banned
What don't you get? Like seriously? That looked great to you? They literally showed the absolute best slice of gameplay they had to offer, the BEST you could expect from a game with zero footage/gameplay in over 5 years. That's what they showed. You're impressed by that? LOL
Did they? Even from dialogue with pilot alone you can see that was somewhere on begining of game (Master Chief literally saw main bad guy first time) and was played on easy.

Redlancet

Banned
this reminds me of
Lggc8dc.jpg

• Fire
Reactions: MrS

Kimahri

Banned

You sound like you need to grow up a bit.

I said it looked like good Halo fun. That's all I need. I don't need or care about something revolutionary, and it's not like anyone else has shown anything I'd deem great or impressive. Prettier sure, but more fun? So far everything is luke warm.

But I enjoy Halo, and this looked like something I'll have fun playing.

So yeah, take one of those chill pills and broaden ypur perspective a little.

Wait, doesn't that mean the game going back to the drawing board? The graphics were one thing, but we might see radical changes is the story too.

Last edited:

Topfuel

I've seen you in other threads, literally having fanboy meltdowns. I explain to you my issues with XBox, and viewpoint. You then try to turn it around, and ignore some of my post because you don't want to actually have a conversation on this thread.

But a lot of internal studios by Nintendo and Playstation dont outsource as much. Naughty Dog is kind of the outlier because of the density of their games when it comes to like you touched on environments, animations, npc's.
There's a ton. Same goes for large games like Red dead and possible cyberpunk.

But we are talking 343, and it's not like they have not had previous issues. And the bigger thing that a lot of us want to talk about but can't because it seems to hurt your sensibility's on your platform of choice is that Microsoft as a whole uses tons of contract work for most of their software. ESPECIALLY enterprise.
I know because I use a ton of their products at where I work and talk to some of these support people who are third party contracted when we need assistance.

And thats something that alludes to possibly a bigger issue down the road as teams/studios that they have acquired start to expand on bigger projects.
Seriously You literally didn't like what I've been saying so you read one thing in my post and ran with it to try and knock down my argument.

Do what You want, your still going on ignore.

There was an article or something mentioning that MS strict and demanding HR hiring practices hurt all their game studios. I do not remember where I read it.

Praise the fucking lords.

An adult is entering the office.

Well this might be good in 2022/2023.

Now, as a follow up, give him Bonnie's job.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Yep, praise the gaming gods! A bunch of Halo fans have been wanting this ever since Joe joined Microsoft. Staten was always my fav developer at Bungie. This should have happened after the epic cluster f$!k of the MCC launch. Better late than never.

Joe Staten is a boss!

Azurro

Banned
Rumours with zero sources and actual hard denials = fact now, gotcha.

The fact is that they just brought in a WRITER to "help steer Halo in the right direction". This suggests that even the story portion is fucked and needs to be worked on.

I mean, who knows to what extent they need to redo things, but it doesn't sound good.

Weren't you the one saying that Infinite was going to be delayed max 6 months or something?

MrFunSocks

Banned
The fact is that they just brought in a WRITER to "help steer Halo in the right direction". This suggests that even the story portion is fucked and needs to be worked on.

I mean, who knows to what extent they need to redo things, but it doesn't sound good.

Weren't you the one saying that Infinite was going to be delayed max 6 months or something?
Getting a writer in doesn't mean they need to redo a lot. It could just be making it more in line with halo lore, it could be making a more classic halo feel to the dialogue and interactions, it could be re-doing cutscenes, or yes it even could be a full on chuck 90% of the story out and start again. We don't know, we probably will never know unfortunately. I personally would *love* to hear a detailed account of what 343 has been doing for the last 5 years.

The funny thing is that everyone bitched about the graphics yet they're bringing in a writer. Graphics can be fixed easily, especially for the Series X patch. If the story is trash tier then that's not great for them. It's fine for me though cause all I care about is multiplayer. Hopefully they'll release a beta now that they've gone with the delay.

I don't think I've said anything like that. I would say it'll be 12 months, releasing next holidays to give them a big AAA first party game to push game pass and bundles at the biggest sales period of the year.

Probably Microsoft really believed in their own studio without much interference. Now, after the backlash of the demo, I can only assume Microsoft looked closer and realized that the game is not the quality they were expecting it to be. Hiring now a veteran only shows that they have lost their trust in 343.

But really, that is not surprising to me, 343 was founded to make Halo games by the numbers and they have no experience to truly make something special, so I have no idea why Microsoft didn't interfere or at least do quality control at an earlier stage.

Call me skeptical but too little too late? Also, as much of a veteran he is...what the 600+ team is so clueless yet one guy is going to jump in and steer the ship on the correct direction all of a sudden? Thats like saying Mikami is back for RE8 and all of a sudden the game becomes 10 times better.

#doubt

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So the game is a mess, and they had NO IDEA until the public told them? Doesn't speak very highly of their ability to judge quality themselves. It's weird.

aries_71

So the game is a mess, and they had NO IDEA until the public told them? Doesn't speak very highly of their ability to judge quality themselves. It's weird.
That's one of the most intriguing things in this whole affair. It's like they are purposely living in a bubble, outside of any contact with other games. You don't need much of an expert to see that demo and tell itss "meh" at best compared to the 3rd party and Sony's heavyweights.

Last edited:

aries_71

Call me skeptical but too little too late? Also, as much of a veteran he is...what the 600+ team is so clueless yet one guy is going to jump in and steer the ship on the correct direction all of a sudden? Thats like saying Mikami is back for RE8 and all of a sudden the game becomes 10 times better.

#doubt
Never underestimate the power of a single individual, like Caesar, Napoleon or Alexander the Great.

Now, I totally agree with you in that it's probably too late, too little. Even for Caesar.

Last edited:
The sad thing is that we will never know what the game would have been if they have released it as planned this year. It is probably mediocre at best, same as the demo indicated, because otherwise Mircosoft would have never delayed it, even if it is a only good game, because it was so important for their launch. They can tell whatever they want at this point, because everyone should know by know, that you can never believe anything what they are selling. Like when they made this ridiculous lie, about the PC the demo was running on was not good for that purpose, no one is so stupid to decide to run the demo on a poor PC, when it is your flagship title.

Papacheeks

Banned
Receipt? That's a pretty bold claim to make Bud

leaker on reset. Who basically called this information, which is now being reported and confirmed by Jason.

Look for the guy Sponger.

Also issues for this were also talked about last year and into early this year from different leaker who was verified. And it aligns to whats going on with the game. Literally game was not shaping up well in early stages so they rebooted it in 2018.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

leaker on reset. Who basically called this information, which is now being reported and confirmed by Jason.

Look for the guy Sponger.

Also issues for this were also talked about last year and into early this year from different leaker who was verified. And it aligns to whats going on with the game. Literally game was not shaping up well in early stages so they rebooted it in 2018.
Lol thanks junior

wolywood

Dumb question I know....but is there a reason why the baddie from the Infinite trailer looks like a Planet of the Apes reject? I haven't really played a Halo game since CE so I have no idea if giant alien gorillas are just part of the overarching franchise mythology.

Top Bottom