• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed by Bloomberg: Microsoft brings back Halo veteran Joseph Staten to get Infinite back on track

martino

feel like that :

f3f2353f-3c06-4892-826f-e817f893070d_text_hi.gif

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
You wouldn't start parachuting in these kind of people for a job that will just take 6-9 months.
It will take them 3 months to even get an overview of the current state before they can start changing things.

At this stage I doubt even a late 2021 launch.

Only god knows how demoralized teh rank and file must be at this point. Are there anyone in rank and file that can jump ship but decides not to? I would assume any talent that can will jump ship as soon as possible. It is pretty obvious the future crunch and work morale will be soul destroying and no one wants to work on a project that enters development hell.

Last edited:
"confirmed by bloomberg" when 343i official reads:

Helping HANDS

As the team focuses on hitting our new launch window for the game, two Halo veterans have offered their helping hands. Pierre Hintze, the Head of our Publishing Team (MCC), will be joining the Halo Infinite team as a project lead for our Free-To-Play experience. He and his team have demonstrated an amazing ability to deliver new content, an excellent flighting program, and substantive updates across MCC over the past year. We look forward to having his expertise directly on the Halo Infinite team as we look to deliver a quality Free-To-Play multiplayer experience for everyone.

And last, but certainly not least, we’re excited to announce that our old friend Joseph Staten will be returning home to Halo for a bit. After helping launch Tell Me Why this week, he'll be coming on board as project lead for campaign as we push towards our 2021 release. The team has been working hard realizing our vision for campaign and we’re happy to have Joseph’s help to get it to the finish line.

For those of you who don’t know Joseph Staten, he wore many hats while working at Bungie for all of their Halo titles and even Destiny before joining the Xbox Games Studios family in 2014. If you enjoy Halo’s storylines, characters, and overall universe, he’s definitely one of the key people you have to thank. As product lead on Halo Infinite, however, Joseph will be focused on supporting the campaign team’s existing, talented, creative leaders and ensuring they have everything they need to create an awesome Halo game. His return to the franchise excites me and we’re all looking forward to having him on board!

for those of you who don't know (the majority writing in this thread), here's Joe Staten at E3 2004 presenting Halo 2

VertigoOA

Banned
You know what other game had leadership change to save another studio clusterfuck of a massive IP?

BioWare.

this is exactly what happened with BioWare and Anthem... except more expensive of a fuck up.

Bungie scrapped Halo 2 and developed it in 9 months. 343 doesn’t have what it takes. They’ve proven they don’t have what it takes.

This is a massive clusterfuck. 343 is a hack cover band.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Staten was heavily involved with ReCore too, awesome game btw.

Anyways, aside from the graphics that people seem to think is the worst ever seen in a video game, what is supposedly wrong with this game? It looked like good, old school Halo fun to me. How exactly is it a broken mess? Genuine question, cause I don't get it

Isn't Staten the guys who did the grunt sounds? I remember they were off in Halo 4, but seemed to be right again in Halo 5, which was after Staten joined Microsoft, IIRC.

Hum.. Bonnie Ross should take responsibility and resign. Those people who are coming in to save the company's biggest franchise that she was overseeing over the last 5 years are not gonna have much respect for her. She also won't be able to take much credit for the outcome if it's a success.
How Phil wasn't aware that Halo was in a worrying state and felt confident to boast about what would see is still surprising. Either he had too much faith in Bonnie and never checked for himself or he doesn't have a good sense of what gamers look for in a next gen game.

Why is it surprising? He’s a friggin arse clown that fella, him leading and Satya Nadella are some of the worst things ever happen to Xbox.

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s not just the visuals... Sure, it’s lighting model makes it look like a fallout game but... Game looked slow. Enemy animations were embarrassing and small amount of enemies onscreen since last gen Xbox One holds back the game since it now has to waste horsepower on larger “open world” maps.

They’re not just scrambling over visuals... that’s honestly not that important. For these rumors and these kind of shakeups to happen... game is fundamentally fucked in more ways than we are privy too. No doubt about it

Halo was never open world. It was about fast action and fast shooting. Open world is the antithesis of that kind action game design.

Zelda came out and was huge... 343 went and said... “let’s do that” and just jumped on a trend ... since they’re not creators... they’re plagiarists... and suck at that too

I hope developers at the studio read this. Yes, you... 343... you are the drizzling shits and are no talent hacks and plagiarists.

Get fucked Stinkles. Bitchass

No fucking wonder Destiny: Beyond Light is the FLAGSHIP Series X launch title and featured on gamespass.

MS keep trying to buy talent and hope to get another Bungie... MS games’ division has been a complete mess since Bungie left.

Last edited:

aries_71

Anyways, aside from the graphics that people seem to think is the worst ever seen in a video game, what is supposedly wrong with this game? It looked like good, old school Halo fun to me. How exactly is it a broken mess? Genuine question, cause I don't get it

It's probably not a broken mess; that's the typical Neogaf drama and general rejoice at anything that makes the Xbox brand look bad.
Still, what they showed was severely underwhelming for a franchise such as Halo, a new hardware generation and the amount of time and money they invested in this thing.

Additionally, it din't help some stupid comments from Xbox/343 management, such as "built from the ground up for the Xbox Series X". Just say it's an Xbox One game that will get a raytracing patch for the Series X and people won't laugh at you. At least, they won't laugh that hard.

GymWolf

It is a cross gen 4k/60 open world'ish title with a more dynamic AI than most if not all open world game. It is also supposed to be 60fps on Xbone. Imo it's competent looking
Lol where the fuck did you see the advanced and dynamic ia in the infinite video? Enemies looked very retarded compared to old halos on legendary...

GymWolf

Waypoint confirms that Joseph Staten returns as project lead for campaign.

As product lead on Halo Infinite, however, Joseph will be focused on supporting the campaign team’s existing, talented, creative leaders and ensuring they have everything they need to create an awesome Halo game.

From my point of view, as product lead, his role would be to manager the managers, so to speak: make sure things are moving forward at the highest level, not necessarily impacting creative decisions. Make sure everyone is rowing in the same direction, so to speak. In any case, he helped steer Bungie through Halo 2's development. Anyone who endured that and still managed to get a game as good as Halo 2 out earns the benefit of the doubt. You don't bring in someone with Staten's background in project management into this role if development is going as intended. With CA recently confirming their re-involvement in Infinite as well, I'm betting 343i have run out of grace over at the green team.
Oh yeah the already existent creative, incredible, talented, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious leaders who created all this mess...

I love pr talk :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Danny 117

This is clearly a very bad reflection on the current state of the game but it does give me hope that he can turn things around. I really like the guy and he was deeply involved during the glory days of the franchise. A bit of direction for the mess at 343i wouldn't go a miss!

Looks more and more likely that this game will be holiday 2021 at the earliest. I'm thinking 2022 now though.

People bringing up Crackdown 3 on twitter etc aren't being fair though. For all we know it was s 30 metacritic game before he came in. Let's give him a chance.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And some people were hyped for this trash. Goes to show some folks are in it for the ball sucking.

Some people are in it just to upset “the other lot”, the fans of what they are not fan of, their “opponents”.
They do not care about what they stand for being great or not, they care about the other side doing worse and being downplayed or kicked down... you see it in politics, in gaming, anything that is becoming more and more tribal. Not being in the “other” tribe and trying to piss “them” off is good enough.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
Seem quite late to steer infinite no? Unless MS is prepared to throw money at the problem!

Not nececarily. Staten's role will be to coördinate the existing teams, not to get involved with the content of the game.
343i had to delay the game which is a big kick in a team's morale, deserved or not.
343i needs inspiring leadership to ship the game and coördinate what needs to be done. And that's Staten's role:

I have to say though, Microsoft do need to evaluate current 343 leadership. Halo deserves better.
Also, the current state of affairs are not indicative of the quality of the final game. Halo 2 during its E3 showing in 2003 was also in a hot development mess.
That game turned out to be one of the best games ever.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
How embarrassing for all this publicly play out, 343 have been incompetent and Phil as the overall leader of Xbox should have managed the scenario better.

calamity in the face of launch with their premier franchise, customer confidence it does not instill.

From dropping sales, reviews, MCC disaster and now this.....Halo has been slowly beat down under Phil and 343.

clowns

MCC has been redeemed and is being made better than ever. They’re fixing glitches from the original code, making forge way better in Halo 3, 60 frames a second and no frame pacing issues, dedicated servers, amazing menu for social games, etc, etc

Zato

Banned
MCC has been redeemed and is being made better than ever. They’re fixing glitches from the original code, making forge way better in Halo 3, 60 frames a second and no frame pacing issues, dedicated servers, amazing menu for social games, etc, etc

Lol, how long did it take ....... lets not make it out to be some sort of achievement ...... it was the very least they could do after putting it out for sale as it was to begin with.

93xfan

Banned
Lol, how long did it take ....... lets not make it out to be some sort of achievement ...... it was the very least they could do after putting it out for sale as it was to begin with.

very true. Way too long and I was pissed for a long time due to buying an Xbox One mainly for this game.

With that said, it’s now my most played and enjoyed piece of software this gen

kuncol02

Banned
Not nececarily. Staten's role will be to coördinate the existing teams, not to get involved with the content of the game.
343i had to delay the game which is a big kick in a team's morale, deserved or not.
343i needs inspiring leadership to ship the game and coördinate what needs to be done. And that's Staten's role:

I have to say though, Microsoft do need to evaluate current 343 leadership. Halo deserves better.
Also, the current state of affairs are not indicative of the quality of the final game. Halo 2 during its E3 showing in 2003 was also in a hot development mess.

ZehDon

... Also, the current state of affairs are not indicative of the quality of the final game. Halo 2 during its E3 showing in 2003 was also in a hot development mess.
Nah. While I'm normally the eternal optimist, 343i have lost the benefit of the doubt for me at this point. They're guilty until proven innocent. Just look at the reception to Staten's return - not a soul on Earth trusts 343i.
Halo 2 during its E3 showing blew the doors off the convention center, and had fans chanting that they couldn't wait any longer - release Halo 2 now! All of the incredible reception hid the mess that was going on at Bungie at the time, where the game engine was thrown out completely and the game was effectively re-started. But, at no point was Halo 2's quality ever questioned prior to its release. It wasn't until after the game came out that we learned of what went on, and how much content they cut from the game.
Contrast that to Halo Infinite, where in it's inaugural outing it became an internet laughing stock, had the most ardent fans begging for a delay and a project reboot. 343i had to issue a response to the waves of endless criticisms and mockery - followed by one of the most embarrassing delays in gaming history - and its gotten to the point that gaming communities across the internet are questioning the entire Xbox Series X hardware platform due to how bad Halo Infinite looked. Add their tone-deaf PR - that tweet about Infinite "owning the show" at E3 2020 had it gone ahead, the 343i employee article from the senior development lead who "polished" the gameplay demo and thought they'd achieved something amazing.
After two mixed titles, five years, $500 million dollars, and the most poorly received AAA reveal in history... 343i are going to have to earn back the benefit of the doubt.

???

Like I said... shit animations. They’re not even reacting to being hit with gunfire.

Amateur hour across the board
the brute -its craig btw- wears shield parts that can be shot-off. you can see as he runs down how he is being shot in his knee and right after he limps. also his head gear and shoulder pads are shot-off
funny how you call this "slow", and even funnier how from this scene a single frame just after he was killed was secluded and created the meme.
and by "funny" I mean pathetic

Top Bottom