• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confidentiality filing reveals Nintendo is planning a new Switch controller

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The mysterious new product, simply described as ‘game controller’, was submitted to the FCC recently accompanied by a number of letters requesting confidentiality on its details.

The letters request that all photos of the controller, its manual, its block diagram and its schematics be kept secret for up to six months, until Nintendo is ready to announce it.

“Please be advised that the following information is to be held in confidence for 180 days from the date of the Grant of Equipment Authorization and behalf of us,” one letter reads.

“The application contains technical information, which we deem to be trade secrets and proprietary. If made public, the information might be used to the disadvantage of the applicant in the market place.”

The controller has the model name HAC-043, which confirms it as a Switch peripheral, as all previous Switch hardware has used the HAC prefix.

For example, HAC-001 is the Switch console itself, HAC-022 is the Ring-Con for Ring Fit Adventure and HAC-042 is the wireless SNES controller released through My Nintendo for the Switch Online SNES library.

The only information available for the device at the moment is a radio test report, which tests the safety of the controller’s wireless signals. This test shows that the controller was plugged into HAC-002, Nintendo’s AC adapter, for testing, which implies that the controller has a USB-C port.

Nozz-A-La

8b151c93c699e989963634c4d7625150.jpg

ultrazilla

I don't think it's a Nintendo 64 controller.

I believe this could be the supplemental computing device. Nintendo's patent info here: Nintendo patent

53167_52_nintendo-successfully-patents-external-console-upgrade-box.png

The only issue I could see with it being the device is keeping it wireless. Say if this new controller includes a new SOC with DLSS support; I'm pretty sure
you can't send that additional power through wireless/bluetooth. It'd have to be a wired connection. However, this could potentially keep the cost down
for the end consumer as it would be an optional "controller/spec upgrade". If you want the 4k/DLSS support, you'd have to buy this controller and understand
it's for docked gaming only.

McCheese

I know what this is.

GB/GBC games will be added to the Switch.

This is a special Gameboy styled controller with its own screen which you can "download" GB and GBC games to from the switch itself and use as a standalone device (as well as a switch controller).

edit: typos

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't think it's a Nintendo 64 controller.

I believe this could be the supplemental computing device. Nintendo's patent info here: Nintendo patent

53167_52_nintendo-successfully-patents-external-console-upgrade-box.png

The only issue I could see with it being the device is keeping it wireless. Say if this new controller includes a new SOC with DLSS support; I'm pretty sure
you can't send that additional power through wireless/bluetooth. It'd have to be a wired connection. However, this could potentially keep the cost down
for the end consumer as it would be an optional "controller/spec upgrade". If you want the 4k/DLSS support, you'd have to buy this controller and understand
it's for docked gaming only.
Why not just make a new dock that can do that ?

over clock the base unit in handheld. Make the new controller contain a battery that can give longer bat life.
New Dock provides the extra powaaaaar

Last edited:
I know what this is.

GB/GBC games will be added to the Switch.

This is a special Gameboy styled controller with its own screen which you can "download" GB and GBC games to from the switch itself and use as a standalone device (as well as a switch controller).

edit: typos
I would throw so much money at them for that
Stupid sexy Nintendo

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
why is nobody talking about replacing the joycon shitsticks. with actual proper joysticks so you can play fps games normally in handheld mode.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Hopefully it's an n64 controller for their online. I'll be buying multiples. Don't really care about the games being on switch though.

Top Bottom