• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concern: With the Betheada acquisition did Microsoft just go from NO games to TOO MANY?

The Alien

Banned
As we've all heard, Bethesda is the latest "victim" to Microsoft's spending spree. In the past few years the number of studios in Microsoft's stable has jumped from single digits to 23 with the latest acquisition.

Considering only these 23 1st party studios, GamePass is indeed on track to have a new game drop about every 6 months.
(MATH: 23 studios ÷ 3 year development cycle = 7 games ; or in a 4 year cycle = 5 game)

Lots of great studios and IPs will be heading in to GamePass from Microsoft 1st party. But this service now includes EA Access and also whatever 3rd party games agreed to drop in.

So with all of these additions to a great service, the question remains....will Microsoft now have a TOO MANY games problem?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
rCSGed9.jpg

Alebrije

When te games release probably , at this moment has good IPs. Think will see something new from MD.by 2022-23. Specially regarding Fallout 5 or new Elder Scrolls...

Three

MS went from 'no games' to 'no games + many IPs' . Outside of what was already known and coming what new games were announced? Wait for actual games.

Reindeer

If each of their studios (23) makes two games a generation (23X2=46) and generation lasts 8 years (92 months) then you're looking at new game every other month. That's pretty insane! Even if they have a new game every 3 months then that's still massive. This is without taking into account that they have smaller teams within their bigger studios doing side projects. There will be basically be no reason for people to unsubscribe from Gamepass.

Last edited by a moderator:

CeeJay

Ah ok, this ones an interesting new narrative... So, let me get this right, we are now concerned that each of Xbox's new games is not going to get enough of the spotlight and that's bad because we might lose count of all the games and not be able to give enough time to them all?

Well shit, that sucks don't it...

Stuart360

If each of their studios (23) makes two games a generation (23X2=46) and generation lasts 8 years (92 months) then you're looking at new game every other month, that's pretty insane. Even if they have a new game every 3 months then that's still massive.
Its interesting you said that because there was that interview by Philip or Matty, cant remember which, a few months ago where they said the plan for next gen was to release a first party game every month. I dont see how thats possible, even with Zenimax, but one every other month could be possible.

Reindeer

Its interesting you said that because there was that interview by Philip or Matty, cant remember which, a few months ago where they said the plan for next gen was to release a first party game every month. I dont see how thats possible, even with Zenimax, but one every other month could be possible.
Some of their big studios have smaller teams that work on smaller projects so they could increase their output that way. They will likely also acquire more studios as they said so a game every month is not out of the question and could be the endgame they are aiming for.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We don't when the next Doom is coming, not likely anytime soon.
Pray is even more unlikely too and Dishonered , Wolfenstein, The Evil Within sequels another unknown.

CeeJay

They've not stopped buying studios yet remember...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers are use to MS having games just not games they like if I get two naughty dog games vs Ms’ thousands of games I’m taking the two best naughty games filled with so many great moments

Reindeer

they just went from no games to still no games but a bunch of studios.

like if there was a Fallout 5 or DOOM 3 announced maybe we would have something.
Not right now, but all Bethesda games will be in Gamepass very soon and that will likely drive a lot of subscriptions and keep people occupied while games are being developed. GamePass has a ton of games so no games argument is pretty dumb at this point.

reinking

Gold Member
MS will be fine for games eventually. The biggest complaint is they have NO GAMES FOR LAUNCH of the Series X|S.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
MS will be fine for games eventually. The biggest complaint is they have NO GAMES FOR LAUNCH of the Series X|S.
I don't see there a big problem. It's not like Sony had 5 games or so. They got a 12 year old niche game for 80 Euro and a standalone DLC without a physical copy. Better than 0 of course, but still not impressive

Last edited:

Three

lol theyre all working on "games" they didnt just buy ips LMAO the fuck
Yes I'm saying there are no additional games announced that were not already known coming to PS5/XSX anyway. Therefore if it had 'no games' before it still has the same 'no games' now unless new games were announced.

Stuart360

Yes I'm saying there are no additional games announced that were not already known coming to PS5/XSX anyway. Therefore if it had 'no games' before it still has the same 'no games' now unless new games were announced.
I dont think they need to officially announce a Fallout 5 and Doom 3 to know they are coming at some point.

Starfield

bc this isnt a game announcement. it was an aquisition announcement

GymWolf

Not a problem, they are not gonna release everything in 2021-2022, a lot of games are still far far away.

kuncol02

Banned
Considering only these 23 1st party studios, GamePass is indeed on track to have a new game drop about every 6 months.
(MATH: 23 studios ÷ 3 year development cycle = 7 games ; or in a 4 year cycle = 5 game)
I know that math is hard, but please. That's not a game every 6 months but 6 games a year. Game every two months.

Top Bottom