• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan Exiles - Official Xbox Series X/S Optimizations Trailer

Inviusx

Third game in a row where I sunk hundreds of hours into the PS4 version and now the next gen optimisations are Series X exclusive.

Honestly wondering why I bought this fucking PS5 paper weight. Legitimately thinking about trading it in for a Series X at this point.

pr0cs

I love survival type games but of all the ones I have played recently this one held my attention the least, the world just feels so devoid of life.
Shame because I like the idea, maybe with other people it's better but seems to me that if it can't stand alone then it's probably not a ton better with PCs

KiteGr

Is this game good? Seems pretty popular
It's a flawed gem.

It nails the Conan atmosphere, as long as you ignore that a man can single handedly build a castle and your slaves begin as items.

It starts off as a survival game where you start with nothing and step by step become a lord in a castle. In mid to late game it turns into an online RPG where you get a party and go to dungeons for recipes and gear, and stuff like thirst and hunger become secondary annoyances.

Official servers are overbuild with mega-structures due to existing for years.
Pvp servers are impossible for nubies, as very specific and convoluted meta builds are required for your base to not get raided, along with you being near them every day during the raiding hours to defend it.
The game allows and encourages custom servers, but these often have reduced modifiers and often allow mods, so you'll feel like you won't be getting the official experience.
Also, it can be kind of junky. It's strongly suggested you play it on a strong machine to brute force some of the junkyness away.

On the plus side, it's one of the best online survival games out there, and it gets updated very often.
The experience of starting off but-naked and slowly build a kingdom and Summon God out of nothing is addicting. It can be very fun to play with friends, as you double the gathering force and share your structures.
The PC allows full nudity, while the consoles allow up to partial nudity. (I've heard that they are planning to patch it in as some point, but I'm not sure)
The recent updates focus on the new expansion area as it released bare-bones.

The worst obstacle you'll face is the tutorials, as there are none. You'll need ro find some guide to tell you where is what and what does what. The guide must also be quite recent, as the common updates often add and/or change gameplay aspects.

If you download the current version on PS5 it'll take near 140gb from your SSD, but I believe the above optimization update will change the required space as the PS5 doesn't need duplicate data. (Edit: Just noticed that the optimization is Xbox exclusive. Good luck with that.)

I hope I helped.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Third game in a row where I sunk hundreds of hours into the PS4 version and now the next gen optimisations are Series X exclusive.

Honestly wondering why I bought this fucking PS5 paper weight. Legitimately thinking about trading it in for a Series X at this point.

If Microsoft’s E3 is good, I’d recommend it. Gamepass really keeps things fresh all the time.

Don't be silly. The PS5's greatest achievement to date has been an optimization of a PS3 game in Demon Souls.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I gave it a whirl on the XbX and gave up after dying 5 times to the first group of rebels or whatever they are. Having to scavenge for plant fiber, stones, and branches to just get the basic items (I'm assuming there is a store house option at some point) combined with minimal understanding of what to do on top of a janky interface with lots of PC DNA is a big turn off.

Still, it was kinda interesting if there is more to combat than "swing, kick, try to dodge, run away while slamming aloe". But after playing subnautica the world of Conan felt very dull by comparison.

Mr.ODST

I gave it a whirl on the XbX and gave up after dying 5 times to the first group of rebels or whatever they are. Having to scavenge for plant fiber, stones, and branches to just get the basic items (I'm assuming there is a store house option at some point) combined with minimal understanding of what to do on top of a janky interface with lots of PC DNA is a big turn off.

Still, it was kinda interesting if there is more to combat than "swing, kick, try to dodge, run away while slamming aloe". But after playing subnautica the world of Conan felt very dull by comparison.
Play on a server that has high multipliers, makes it a lot more fun and takes off a huge emphasis of getting a base setup so you can explore the world and quests

Vargavinter

Been thinking of getting this on sale and just play it solo. Can you play on your own made server for friends only? Or is everything hosted?

KiteGr

Been thinking of getting this on sale and just play it solo. Can you play on your own made server for friends only? Or is everything hosted?
Custom servers are paid, and the game encourages them and lists them normally. There are a crap ton of user servers with very little population that will be as good as playing solo. Just make sure you pick one with the right modifiers, as most of them have insane drop-rates.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll never bother playing this game, but got to say that video shows good improvements. Also, the way they did the comparison with the diagonal panning and note saying what is improved is 10x better than most games doing comparisons. Seems very clear what has improved.

Top Bottom