• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Companies should stop being anti-consumer with subscription services (gamepass/spartacus)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Gamepass in its current state is a subscription that values your money a lot.

Microsoft first party titles day one, and a big catalogue of third party games. Some are even there day one.

Sony now wants their own subscription, which is understandable given the success with game pass, but this will hurt these subscription based services.

Just like are seeing both Microsoft and Sony acquiring companies to the left and right, we will now see the same that happened into TV streaming series.

Netflix had everything at the beginning. Then hbo and Disney wanted to make their own services to gain 100 percent revenue.

I am pretty certain, that Microsoft and Sony will not only pay for day one third party games on their services, but probably also pay third party games to be exclusive on their services.

If Sony just accepted game pass on their platform and got a cut of the sub, purchases etc.

These companies should stop ruining this for the gamers. It's anti consuming and I am sick of it.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

If Sony just accepted game pass on their platform and got a cut of the sub, purchases etc.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

You're right though OP, more services will definitely mean watering down the selection of third-party. But you can't blame one company not wanting to surrender to another one.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m sorry you might be right that the consumer will be worse off (e.g having to subscribe to both services) however you can’t just expect Sony to not try their own hand and relent to MS. There’s a reason both companies are seemingly pursuing this, and it’s because they both envisage a future where it is extremely profitable.

It’s the same as football rights in the UK. To get everything you need to subscribe to BT Sport, Amazon Prime and Sky Sports. Consumer is now worse off then when Sky had the rights to everything.

NinjaBoiX

Honestly, if I could just sub to both platforms for around £10 a month each then I’d just do that. I probably spend more than £20 a month on PS store alone, not to mention the cost of Plus/Live being folded in.

The problem is that game pass money was bonus guanteed money on top of big sales on playstation.

Most companies won't do both, and yes, may just avoid both. Unless someone pulls up a dumptruck of money or buys the company.

Godot25

Banned
I literally don't know why people are freaking out about Game pass and Spartacus.
Both services are OPTIONAL! You can still chug along and buy individual games if you want. Nobody is forcing you to subscribe.

For me it is great. I can subscribe, play plenty of games without emotional strings attached and if Gamepass will be shit, I will switch to Spartacus. Or if Spartacus will offer buch of great games, I will subscribe there.

It's not a rocket science.

Stuart360

To be honest say in 5 years from now (and i'm talking from a PC angle) if we get the situation where we have Gamepass and Spartacus on PC, complete with all first party games on the services, and a ton of Indie, AA, and third party AAA games spread accross both services, all for say $40 a month for both, i couldnt be more happier.
It is what the future is going to be imo, its just a matter of when.

I mean as a Xbox player mostly, Sony has every right to do the same strategy. I don't see the big deal. I'll just have to buy a PS5 again for the third time.

Elios83

Netflix had everything at the beginning. Then hbo and Disney wanted to make their own services to gain 100 percent revenue.

Did you actually believe there was any other possible outcome with the consolidation the industry is going through? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Everyone wants a piece of the cake.
Eventually consumers will be forced to subscribe to different services or they'll miss a lot of contents.
It's the reason why this is not good for consumers in the long run.

K2D

Banned
The only reason gamepass is great for it's users right now is that they're taking a "loss" in order to become the next Spotify or Netflix with a 100 million concurrent subscriber base. You're asking for the impossible.

Last edited:

Schmick

To be honest say in 5 years from now (and i'm talking from a PC angle) if we get the situation where we have Gamepass and Spartacus on PC, complete with all first party games on the services, and a ton of Indie, AA, and third party AAA games spread accross both services, all for say $40 a month for both, i couldnt be more happier.
It is what the future is going to be imo, its just a matter of when.
I'm already doing that with Gamepass Ultimate and PS Now for PC. Perfect combination.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think Because of Sony's involment in entertainment with Streaming services they know at some point this hits a wall as seen with whats happening with Netflix among other stream services like Spotify.

It's very volatile, and not something you want to put all your bets on.

nush

Gold Member
Just like are seeing both Microsoft and Sony acquiring companies to the left and right, we will now see the same that happened into TV streaming series.

There's only 4 format players in the market, not lots of media companies. That fragmentation isn't going to happen in the same way.

And like Netflix, they had to start making their own TV shows. That's why MS is now buying publishers, as they can't rely on third party.

I agree it will probably get worse if a new/revamped services enters they frey. But I can't expect Sony to sit around because gamepass is good value.

No, this is not a clickbait title. Title would have been vice versa if Sony released their service first, and then Microsoft after that.

Microsoft first party titles day one, and a big catalogue of third party games. Some are even there day one.

Sony now wants their own subscription, which is understandable given the success with game pass, but this will hurt these subscription based services.

I am pretty certain, that Microsoft and Sony will not only pay for day one third party games on their services, but probably also pay third party games to be exclusive on their services.

These companies should stop ruining this for the gamers. It's anti consuming and I am sick of it.
Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

This

is

what

you

deserve.

arvfab

Banned
You got it the other way around. People accepting the first of it's kind are the ones ruining it for all others in the long run.

Xbox with subscription for playing online -> First Sony, Nintendo afterwards, followed

As soon as one such service is successful, every other on the service delivering the content might want to take a piece of the cake . Netflix & Co. should have been a warning.

Wouldn't wonder if in the future all of the major publishers will have an own Gamepass-like service (EA and Ubi already have) with exclusive content, so that you need multiple subscriptions.

Thats just stupid. If you want to pay 60 euros or 80 euros or 100 euros for a game you can still do that on xbox. You dont have to use gamepass. Subs do not change much except for the fact that you do not own the product once it ends and it helps poor ppl enjoy huge games without having to dish out a lot from their income. If Sony does this, it wont ruin shit. These threads dude, jesus.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
No, this is not a clickbait title. Title would have been vice versa if Sony released their service first, and then Microsoft after that.

Oh No Reaction GIF by Bounce

dotnotbot

I'm a loser because I enjoy game pass?

Look at it this way OP: if gamepass didn't have competitor and Microsoft could get everything for themselves it wouldn't stay as cheap and good as it is right now anyway. So either way you lose, actually you lose more without competition cause they force Microsoft to expand on first-party, which they are doing by buying third-party publishers.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My dude literally just made a thread to proclaim that "whoever wins, we lose" in the most annoying and uninteresting way possible. That's grounds for a GIFing!
haha it sure is.
People are worried for their hobbies. Can't blame anyone.
I too am a but tired of these threads but I also kinda share the sentiment :p

Chukhopops

I think it’s going to be the opposite, and to me Netflix has never been better than since they have actual competition from Disney+.

If there is a good balance of value between GP and Spartacus (which I don’t see happening but IF) then there’s an incentive for MS to keep adding even better stuff to GP. Plus it would allow me to enjoy more Sony games because I’m never paying full price for the « ok » ones.

The Alien

Banned
Not sure what this thread is about. I guess he's "concerned" about GamePass. (Haven't had one of these in awhile) Lol.

Let's see what Sony's offering is before we doom and gloom. From "scoops" on the internet, Microsoft may not have much to worry about (at least initially). Where Microsoft's succeeds is across PC and console...and then u can take it to go on streaming/cloud. U get their growing first party titles day and date and they are cutting crazy deals to bring 3rd party in. They already have 3rd party day and date releases on GamePass. Crossfire X (with Remedy's campaign) is releasing this Feb for example.

As a "gamer" and GamePass subscriber, I can assure u, its not ruining gaming for me.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You made this thread as if what you were about to say was something new and profound.

But people have been saying bought exclusives are bad for years....frikken years.

This is literally a rehash of the third party exclusives debate.

If im only on Xbox I hate Sony for making Final Fantasy console exclusive.
If im only on Sony I hate Xbox for making Stalker 2 console exclusive .

Youve just "extended" to include ohh MS might buy Gamepass exclusivity for game X, Sony might buy Spartass exclusivity for game Y.
Same shit different day.

GrayDock

Since we're starting this why doesn't disney+, paramount+, hbomax and amazon prime video don't cancel it's services and put all it's content on netflix without netflix rising it's price... again?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah they will just kill off fanboys dreams is all. They both know hardware is a losing battle going forward as silicon gets smaller and more powerful and used in everything. It will allow companies like apple, face book, and google to branch out to gaming on a competitive level very soon to their current multi-million user bases.

When are you guys going to realize it’s not MS vs Sony as much as current gaming vs future gaming of a future mobile style market.

Top Bottom