• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection |OT| Tiberian Tomorrow

Thanati

So do we have an initial consensus from fans of the originals? Good remaster? Ready to take the plunge today if they haven't mucked it up.
It’s pretty damned near perfect. Take everything that you remember about the original and just make it look and sound better. It’s an awesome game and highly recommended.

Stitch

Gold Member
The installation video was great and I love the graphics. I think this looks even better than AoE 2 Definitive Edition which still has some pixelated sprites with the 4k pack.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It’s pretty damned near perfect. Take everything that you remember about the original and just make it look and sound better. It’s an awesome game and highly recommended.

I just went ahead and took the plunge since everyone here was busy playing it, ha - that's the thing, I barely ever played CnC so this is all pretty new to me. Seems like exactly what a remaster should be so far. That jump when you press space is really nice.

Now we're talking! I can't believe I get to play multiplayer games of C&C/Red Alert. The only chance I had before was at LAN parties. I'll get it installed today and report back with notes.

God Enel

the graphics upgrade is awesome especially if you switch back and forth. Though I do love the old graphics. Let's see what the mods will look like

Bolivar687

Banned
So do we have an initial consensus from fans of the originals? Good remaster? Ready to take the plunge today if they haven't mucked it up.
So how do these games hold up? Loved them as a kid but are they actually good?

This remaster is a perfect concept executed flawlessly. They fully recreated the look and feel of the original games while still having a product that looks gorgeous in 2020. It would be one thing if they nailed the visuals but the remastered music and sound create an impeccable audio environment alongside it.

Im stuck on that Havoc mission as GDI, fucking commando losing life when he blows up a Sam site

Sometimes it's luck of the draw based on whether 0, 1, or 2 soldiers spawn from the destroyed SAM. I think just right clicking the building and not touching anything else until it's blown up raises your chances of coming away with full health. Once you get the transport chopper, blow up the sam sites on the left and in the middle elevation. Then get your commando to the left opening of the base and once you destroy one building, the mission is complete.

It's mission 7 that's pretty much impossible. I went looking for videos of how to beat it and it's people in the comments saying that they've never been able to beat the mission in all their years playing Command & Conquer.

I might start getting into multiplayer or move over to the NOD campaign and/or Red Alert.

Thanati

That's probably best remaster ever. New graphic looks exactly how I remember C&C looked. Absolutely nailed look of it.
Absolutely. I agree 100% They didn’t go with changing the gameplay or “style”, just modernized the graphics and sound and made it look amazing.
For me, this will prolong this title as a classic for another 25 years!

Thanati

I just went ahead and took the plunge since everyone here was busy playing it, ha - that's the thing, I barely ever played CnC so this is all pretty new to me. Seems like exactly what a remaster should be so far. That jump when you press space is really nice.
Yeah, this is exactly what a remaster should be. Keep 100% of the core gameplay and the look and feel and just update the audio and visuals. Such a truly outstanding title.

Ovek

7Member7
Completed the NOD campaign today, great remaster.

I kinda wish they updated the path ai, but I suppose micro managing your units to move over a bridge instead of driving all the way around the map, is part of the C&C charm.

BigBooper

Played a few multiplayer matches today and remembered how much I suck at multiplayer. I'm just meandering along the tech tree while it feels like everyone else follows the meta build order.

Bolivar687

Banned
Played a few multiplayer matches today and remembered how much I suck at multiplayer. I'm just meandering along the tech tree while it feels like everyone else follows the meta build order.

Because you start with a ton of money but accrue it slowly after that, you really want to get your econ infrastructure up and running before it runs out. I think building a harvester as your first vehicle then a second refinery is a baseline good build order.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just finished the Allied campaign in Red Alert and jesus christ was I reminded how badly I hated the bunker type missions.

It was great to be back to playing the game. However, one change that must have been made is that the game prevents you from taking over the opposing sides War Factory. I tried so many times to take over the Soviets War Factory so I could make Mammoth Tanks and destroy their base with them. But once it gets down to red, the Soviets would just deconstruct them. Even if you take over their Construction Yard and build a War Factory from their original one, you are still limited to your own side's vehicles. I could have sworn that was different in the original.

jigglet

Banned
It's pretty much a perfect remaster, I just wish there was just one extra camera height option. I know you can use mods but you can't use mods online.

GenericUser

Just finished the allied campaign. What can I say, it's just as addictive as ever. This game really shows what modern rts games don't seem to get. Sometimes it's just enough to build a nice comfy base and curbstomp the enemy with a huge tank army. Nothing wrong with that. Graphics are awesome, new sound effects are awesome (except the battlecruiser shooting sound, that was better in the original) and the unlockable behind the scene stuff is also super interesting. I'm so glad this game exists.

I hope the sourcecode and the map editor keeps the scene alive and well for a very long time. I'm so looking forward to mods and user created campaigns.

So I beat mission 6 the gdi commando one, failed the next mission where I had to repair and defend a base then it made me do the commando mission again but this time a base to destroy it? Lol

Bolivar687

Banned
Just finished the allied campaign. What can I say, it's just as addictive as ever. This game really shows what modern rts games don't seem to get. Sometimes it's just enough to build a nice comfy base and curbstomp the enemy with a huge tank army. Nothing wrong with that. Graphics are awesome, new sound effects are awesome (except the battlecruiser shooting sound, that was better in the original) and the unlockable behind the scene stuff is also super interesting. I'm so glad this game exists.

I hope the sourcecode and the map editor keeps the scene alive and well for a very long time. I'm so looking forward to mods and user created campaigns.

One thing that's blowing me away playing Tiberian Dawn is just how high the skill ceiling is for micromanaging units in combat, which is crazy to me because C&C established the formula for the "macro" style RTS of adhering to a build order and setting up an economy. Grenadiers and Flamethrowers brutally punish large crowds of infantry, but they also disincentivize having large crowds of them yourself, since they explode upon death, sometimes triggering disastrous chain reactions. Running over infantry with tanks is such a crucial part of combat, but timing your use of the x key with each turn of the vehicle can make your troops constantly evade their movements. This hidden micro depth makes a lot of the original campaign missions go from impossible to manageable.

They said they had to keep the bad pathfinding in the game because it had a butterfly effect of ruining the AI in campaign missions. But I think the bad pathfinding actually serves a purpose of allowing higher skill players to distinguish themselves by micromanaging their harvesters during downtime and their units in combat.

Coming back to these games after so many years and rediscovering this complexity nested within its simplicity, it feels like watching a genre being born for the first time. It would be awesome if what we're actually witnessing is its rebirth.

Last edited:
I just spent a couple of hours playing the GDI campaign from the first Command & Conquer. Some thoughts:
  • Not having played an RTS in a very long time, i absolutely suck at it, but i am slowly getting readjusted.
  • Great quality of life improvements that make it very easy to get into. I love the ability to change between old graphics/new graphics as well.
  • Incredibly good price (20$) for a ton of content - 2 full games and 3 expansions plus all the extra content from the console versions. Haven't even scratched most of this collection yet.
  • Soundtrack is absolutely fantastic.
  • The FMVs are great; Allthough they're a bit cheesy, they're surprisingly well acted and charming. Can't wait to learn more of Kane and Sheppard.
  • Extremely well polished with a lot of love and passion poured into it.
The pathfinding is troublesome, but it's manageable. The game overall is very enjoyable and that alone is worth commending considering that it's the very first Command & Conquer game slapped with a bucket load of QoL improvements but left untouched mechanically. I can't wait to play the second game in the Collection, Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Fans say that this one massively improved upon the first one.

I've never played the Command & Conquer series (a little bit of Red Alert 2 and Generals here and there, but nothing serious) so i believe that this collection is pretty much a perfect introduction. As far as i'm concerned i think the RTS genre is being revitalized thanks to this and AoE II: Definitive Edition. It's not quite there yet, but if it keeps progressing like this, there's nothing but good things ahead.

Last edited:

Cravis

After getting some solid time in with it this weekend I have to say as far as remasters go, it can be summed up with one word...

k76KAKF.gif

HE1NZ

Banned
So I beat mission 6 the gdi commando one, failed the next mission where I had to repair and defend a base then it made me do the commando mission again but this time a base to destroy it? Lol
It's a bit of a bug. If you skip the mission 7 by destroying the airfield in 6, it won't unlock 8a and 8b in the mission selector, but instead just unlocks 7.

Does red alert have the awful path finding as well?

Dunno, but based on reviews at the time that i have read it seems that Red Alert was a significant improvement over the first one, minus the pathfinding AI which was more or less the same.

Here's an advice: take smaller steps and don't just select a large chunk of soldiers across the map in a single click. The pathfinding issue is alleviated greatly by doing that.

no it does not. map is not covering whole screen like halo wars 2

I have no idea why the devs decided to keep the left black bar since you already have a larger FOV compared to 16:9 players. It's annoying! I often mistake it for the edge of the map.

HE1NZ

Banned
I have no idea why the devs decided to keep the left black bar since you already have a larger FOV compared to 16:9 players. It's annoying! I often mistake it for the edge of the map.
They obviously want everyone to play in the same 16:9 window, but wider screen owners get the benefit of having sidebar outside that area.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They obviously want everyone to play in the same 16:9 window, but wider screen owners get the benefit of having sidebar outside that area.
Heard that one before 🤣
Damn game has a SP mode.
And mods are not supported in MP only SP anyway. Pretty dumb

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh the frustration of dealing with submarines. Love how they just stay underwater, while a cruiser or destroyer is right above them attacking my base.....

jigglet

Banned
Oh the frustration of dealing with submarines. Love how they just stay underwater, while a cruiser or destroyer is right above them attacking my base.....

Guard mode is your friend. You need to select those units then press the GM key, and then they will work perfectly.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Looks ace, I'm pretty excited about this, I'm a bit worired about the CGI cutscenes, they looked like literally some of the worst upscaling I've ever seen, I would prefer to just see them in a smaller window with a blur + scanlines, since they were never progressive scan to begin with afaik.

Other than that looks amazeballs, love the art upgrade.

How did it turn out?

That reminded me that back in the day when Wing Commander 3 came out I wrote some hate mail about the videos looking nowhere as good as they did on the box and Chris Roberts replied

Damn that two-parter allied mission 10. Memories came flooding back how I struggled back then, too. And that mean timer they don't even tell you about before!

Last edited:

Helios

DF: One Of The Greatest Remasters Ever Made

I haven't bought this because I grew up with red alert 2 rather than the original C&Cs but this looks amazing. I really hope this is successful enough for RA2 to be next.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the AI pathfinding on Steam and Reddit. Though these games have received a wealth of Quality of Life improvements, their core mechanics have been left untouched as stated by the developers, and given that these games are a large part of the foundation for all RTS video games (along side Dune II, AoE I, Warcraft I) that have followed, leniency, adaptation and a sprinkle of patience are required to go around the few flaws that this Collection has - deficiencies in AI and the old Pathfinding system.

So here's a few tips to greatly alleviate the problem:

- Units need to be micromanaged
- Don't click too much once you've selected your units
- Don't throw your units across the map.

Have the patience to adapt a little and realize that it's a good thing to get the most bang out of your own buck; There's a lot of fun to be had once you seek to circumvent the issue. If you fail to muster the patience to adapt, that is not the game's fault or the developers fault.

Comparisons to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition are silly; AoE II was the second game in the series and massively improved upon the first one. This C&C collection are the very first in the series and they're 25/24 years old. The collection itself is fantastic with a lot of love, effort and passion poured into it. By supporting this Collection we are effectively creating a strong possibility for the same love, effort and passion to pour into the realization of the C&C title with is on par, arguably better then AoE II -> Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

Bolivar687

Banned
Beat the GDI campaign, probably for the first time. I love the way it teaches and tests your micro play, despite the large amount of trial and error with tackling each part of the mission. Checked out the first console GDI mission and it's nice to have these fun bonus missions on PC for the first time.

Top Bottom