• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming back, I think that 2013 Xbox E3 show was better.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Because, at least we have games, gameplays, it does not look as horrible as people anticipated. Shit we got yesterday with 499USD Xbox One on top, would single handily killed Xbox for good.

I mean:
Forza motorsport 5
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 3
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall (...and legendary "Have you seen it?")
D4

This gen:
a3e.png

Oh and we got Stalker 2 announcement, si I guess that's something....in 2024.

M1chl

Yeah no. We had games also yesterday by the way but not gameplays. Nothing will ever top the foolish X1 reveal
Sure but that was few months before that, this was just game showcase and I think it delivers more than yesterday's showing. Games were ready to launch that year, at least Forza Motorsport was and I don't know, I think it was better than yesterday event.

From games perspective. Because one could get easily clouded head from the shitty XB1 HW.

Reveal: XSX > Xbox One

Games: Xbox One > XSX
Exactly my thinking.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Sure but that was few months before that, this was just game showcase and I think it delivers more than yesterday's showing. Games were ready to launch that year, at least Forza Motorsport was and I don't know, I think it was better than yesterday event.

From games perspective. Because one could get easily clouded head from the shitty XB1 HW.

Exactly my thinking.
You may be right. I just can’t forget how terrible the X1 reveal was. Damn

I'd take the current line up all day.

New Forza > Old Forza
State of Decay 3 > Dead Rising 3
Avowed > Ryse
Killer Instinct - Meh
Fable > Sunset Overdrive
Everwild > D4
Titanfall was good, but they announced CrossfireX, Warhammer and Halo.

STALKER 2 being on Xbox is huge. Not to mention Hellblade 2, Psychonaughts 2, The Medium, PSO: 2, OuterWorlds DLC, Grounded, As Dusk Falls.

That's a damn good line up so far.

M1chl

I still don't get why people laugh about it - yeah I saw Titanfall, it looked fucking dope and hell lot of fun, and it was indeed, haven't played such a great FPS ever since.
That was Major Nelson who said it to some concerns, I don't remember in which context, but was a meme back in the day.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I always maintained Microsoft had a great e3 2013 that was overshadowed by the reveal. Lots of surprises, many launch games, and its launch line up convinced me to get a bone day 1.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah, but only if that strategy pays off, because not long after the conference, message of 2013 reveal changed quickly.

True.
They had done a lot of damage already by that point though and it took a long time to correct the poor initial messaging.

M1chl

The gamepass model is hurting the quality of their output.
I think it's pretty disingenuous to blame it on GamePass, they have more studios, more money than before, but something happened, not sure what exactly. But I am sure that Fable is going to be amazing, it's by Playground Games no less. They should just axe the 343i. If that game cost 500m, than that's pretty bad.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The gamepass model is hurting the quality of their output.

Because their big IP coming from their stuious like Forza, Fable, Avowed, Hellbalde, Everwild etc are taking their time and in the case of Forza creating a brand new engine, game pass is hurting them?

Ok.

If anything GamePass is helping them get content on their machine while they let their studios work.

Last edited:
maybe. Rumours are Fable and Obsidian’s new rpg are MMOs like Fallout 76/ESO. And they will be leaning into mtx with Halo. GP very well could be dictating much of the gsme design choices from now on.

I will lose all interest for Fable if that's the case.

Alx

To be fair Xbox 2013 E3 was excellent by all standards, it’s only because it was drowned in the ongoing DRM/specs/Kinect/price controversy that it has a negative stigma.

dude the E3 Xbox One 2013 event was lit. They had the jaw dropping BF4 cinematic campaign gameplay reveal, Kojima showed off Phantom Pain open world demo, bunch of game reveals, ryse son of rome etc. The hardware itself was lagging behind plus terrible pricing. But it was lit thanks to the games. Now in 2020, Microsoft had all the tea flops as they'd been drinking way too much of it but their output has been lackluster.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
And at least those games were actually coming out close to release.

A large number of the games presented by MS are still in the early stages and will take at least three years to finish. Xbox owners will enjoy those games from 2023 on. That's the unfortunate result of MS's lack of a consistent strategy for their games division. For years they didn't want to expand their games studios portfolio, in 2018/2019 they completely changed course but all of those newly acquired games started from scratch at more or less at the same time.

UnNamed

Banned
XBOX ONE was better because E3 was better. All these digital events ruined the next gen hype.

XBOX digital events were bad.
PS5 digital event was underwhelming.
Nintendo digital event... Lol, no comment.

Greeno

Yeah no. We had games also yesterday by the way but not gameplays. Nothing will ever top the foolish X1 reveal
Ok... But you can't just say that this showcase is better than the E3 2013 showcase.

The 2013 E3 show had tons of gameplay and exclusives (DR3 gameplay, Ryse gameplay, SSOD announcement, Forza gameplay, Black Tusk's game announcement, Killer Instinct gameplay, etc).

I actually bought the Xbox One based on that E3 as it had more appealing launch games for me compared to the PS4 launch titles. This time around, I am disappointed by how lackluster the launch games seem to be.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Because, at least we have games, gameplays, it does not look as horrible as people anticipated. Shit we got yesterday with 499USD Xbox One on top, would single handily killed Xbox for good.

I mean:
Forza motorsport 5
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Dead Rising 3
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall (...and legendary "Have you seen it?")
D4

This gen:
a3e.png

Oh and we got Stalker 2 announcement, si I guess that's something....in 2024.
The 360 is still their crown achievement in my eyes. Good hardware and good games. They really nailed it. I just wish they could stand as tall while Playstation wasn't a fuckup...

The 360 is still their crown achievement in my eyes. Good hardware and good games. They really nailed it. I just wish they could stand as tall while Playstation wasn't a fuckup...

Brilliant console, some brilliant games and loved the controller. the UI features were cool for the time too.

M1chl

This is without a question, I made post about that too:

I was just comparing the most recent console launch(es).

Romulus

It doesn't seem possible, but it is. Xbox doesn't even have the confidence to show gameplay, and what they did show looked awful.

At this point, I'd almost like to see another worthy contender rise up and challenge Sony. Microsoft either doesn't get it or they don't have the ability to pull it together with tons of time and resources. Something is way off over there, not even close. Sony actually had a mediocre showing at best, giving Xbox a chance and they set the bar far below that even.

It just seems like Xbox is going out of their way to fuck things up, over and over.

Last edited:

Rudius

The problems they had in 2013 were easier and faster to fix, since they were mostly "policies" and visions that gamers did not want, like the aways online, Kinect and TV focus. They actually had games ready for launch or soon after.

2020 problem is lack of exclusives, and since games take 3 or 4 years to make these days, they can only solve the problem mid generation.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It doesn't seem possible, but it is. Xbox doesn't even have the confidence to show gameplay, and what they did show looked awful.

At this point, I'd almost like to see another worthy contender rise up and challenge Sony. Microsoft either doesn't get it or they don't have the ability to pull it together with tons of time and resources. Something is way off over there, not even close. Sony actually had a mediocre showing at best, giving Xbox a chance and they set the bar far below that even.

It just seems like Xbox is going out of their way to fuck things up, over and over.
I didn't think they would drop the ball this time but they always do something to mess things up

I liked the Xbox One E3 2013 it was really good IMO and it was the last showing that was impressive from Xbox

Fbh

While I agree, I guess more than hardware or games, MS seems to be betting everything on services. I guess time will tell if they were right.
At this point it seems like if you go with MS you do so because of Gamepass or Xcloud more than any specific game or hardware.

Have we ever had a big console on the way while the people behind it basically go out of their way to let you know that you don't really need one?
It's like "Hey we have this new console coming but don't worry, for the first year you'll be able to play all of our games on our old system too, oh and all our stuff is on PC on day 1 too if that's your thing, oh and we are bringing it all day 1 to our new streaming service too"

Last edited:

M1chl

While I agree, I guess more than hardware or games, MS seems to be betting everything on services. I guess time will tell if they were right.
At this point it seems like if you go with MS you do so because of Gamepass or Xcloud more than any specific game or hardware.

Have we ever had a big console on the way while the people behind it basically go out of their way to let you know that you don't really need one?
It's like "Hey we have this new console coming but don't worry, for the first year you'll be able to play all of our games on our old system too, oh and all our stuff is on PC on day 1 too if that's your thing, oh and we are bringing it all day 1 to our new streaming service too"
Well that midgen refresh consoles, was like that. And to be honest, pretty different times, because due to BC, you have shitton of games to play. If it would not have it, then....well, that would be really tough sell for 10 bucks.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'd take the current line up all day.

New Forza > Old Forza
State of Decay 3 > Dead Rising 3
Avowed > Ryse
Killer Instinct - Meh
Fable > Sunset Overdrive
Everwild > D4
Titanfall was good, but they announced CrossfireX, Warhammer and Halo.

STALKER 2 being on Xbox is huge. Not to mention Hellblade 2, Psychonaughts 2, The Medium, PSO: 2, OuterWorlds DLC, Grounded, As Dusk Falls.

That's a damn good line up so far.

A major difference is that all of those Xbox One games were going to be released within the next 12 months. Almost all of the new Xbox Series X titles MS presented in July won't be ready for years.

Say what you will of Don Mattrick, but at least he made sure there were pletny of exclusive games in the pipeline for Xbox One, even if that meant that the last years of the 360 didn't have much to offer for core gamers. And Mattrick also didn't gamble on building new but unproven studios, he secured exclusive games from proven third party developers that were probably already 1-2 years in development. That's how the Xbox One got so many exclusive games in its first year compared to Sony. Spencer started investing in internal studios around 2018 but none of those brandnew studios will have their games ready anytime soon, since it takes 4-5 years these days to create an AAA game.

M1chl

A major difference is that all of those Xbox One games were going to be released within the next 12 months. Almost all of the new Xbox Series X titles MS presented in July won't be ready for years.

Say what you will of Don Mattrick, but at least he made sure there were pletny of exclusive games in the pipeline for Xbox One, even if that meant that the last years of the 360 didn't have much to offer for core gamers. And Mattrick also didn't gamble on building new but unproven studios, he secured exclusive games from proven third party developers that were probably already 1-2 years in development. That's how the Xbox One got so many exclusive games in its first year compared to Sony. Spencer started investing in internal studios around 2018 but none of those brandnew studios will have their games ready anytime soon, since it takes 4-5 years these days to create an AAA game.
Well I don't know about Don, wasn't Phil always head of the games in Xbox? Maybe his Head of Xbox position is distracting him too much...

It's not a good metric to compare generations output considering most AAA titles had half the releases this gen than the last. ND had 4 games on the PS3 and only 2 main ones this year (not counting the side-content). R* had LA NOIRE, Max Payne 3, RDR & 2 GTA games in one gen. Now they barely got by with one current gen release. Rocksteady, same thing.

Even Ubisoft had to disrupt it's mainline AC series to move to Origins. Phil Spencer had an incredible mountain to climb on, knees capped and barely any surviving tools to keep up with SONY and I'd dare say he puts up and incredible fight this gen. Don was simply riding on the coatails of 360's success and the PS3'S disastrous release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom