• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming 2 America Releases March 5, 2021 on Amazon Prime Video

Wow, what a disappointment. Terribly boring, so many flat jokes, so many call backs to the original that just never came close to hitting like the original. I didn’t think anything would ever top Austin Powers 2 in terms of reused content.

Wow that was cringey....like made for tv splash 2 cringe..except with all the original cast. It was basically a rushed along toe the line of every joke from the original. Remember Mcdowells..heres that joke again 30 years later...remember the two girls that were twins..here they are again 30 years later...remember the Barber shop..remember that one liner joke...remember that comment at the very end of the first movie..here it is again!

The whole movie could have just been called Remember Coming to America! Some things dont need sequels..this was one of them.

Not tto mention the ultra cringe of the prince trying to get a job. It really goes to show the clusterfuck of believing we are now surrounded by racism everywhere when 30 years ago it wasnt even a point of reference in the film...it was a celebration of the quirkyness and culture of life in Queens/Brooklyn.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wow that was cringey....like made for tv splash 2 cringe..except with all the original cast. It was basically a rushed along toe the line of every joke from the original. Remember Mcdowells..heres that joke again 30 years later...remember the two girls that were twins..here they are again 30 years later...remember the Barber shop..remember that one liner joke...remember that comment at the very end of the first movie..here it is again!

The whole movie could have just been called Remember Coming to America! Some things dont need sequels..this was one of them.

Not tto mention the ultra cringe of the prince trying to get a job. It really goes to show the clusterfuck of believing we are now surrounded by racism everywhere when 30 years ago it wasnt even a point of reference in the film...it was a celebration of the quirkyness and culture of life in Queens/Brooklyn.

I think the racism scene was just further solidifying it as CTA and TP being in the same universe. It was only one scene. And those old dudes WERE racist in TP.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
just finished it ... was pretty terrible
some decent jokes but my biggest problem was that it didn’t feel like Coming to America
Snipes was pretty funny
Lisa and the daughters were wasted

but you could feel everyone had fun and the movie was more a celebration of the original so was cool with that

Orta

Banned
I loved the original but this was horrendous. You could clearly see Eddie Murphy struggling on screen. There was absolutely none of the charm or innocence in 50 year old Akeem that made the original so enjoyable even though he was portrayed as such a character. The paper thin excuses to the current events that occurred in the 80's were mere tacked on one line afterthoughts and the numerous musical set pieces really got on my nerves too. The CGI flashbacks were as laughable as The Irishman and once Leslie Jones appeared on screen with her usual shouty, bellowing aggressive personality I had enough and started skipping through.

Terrible movie, I would say it taints the original but it was so forgettable hopefully I'll have no recollection of it next time I watch Samuel Jackson holding up McDowells.

Last edited:

Neil Young

Thought it was terrible. Should of called it Stay in Zamunda. They sure got A LOT of use from the ballroom. I was thinking "How many fucking scenes are going to take place here?". It may have been 5 or 6. Out of place cameos, so many dance numbers, nonsensical and rushed love interest of the prince (seemed like he bonded more with the daughter), the 30 minute lion (who farts) set up, the Threes Company overhearing a conversation out of context scene, and basic lack of jokes. A TON of " remember that"? type scenes. The barbershop was ok, once they got done ticking EVERY current social issue box. I never found Leslie Jones funny and Tracy Morgan comes in and spouts his usual nonsense that, again, haven't found funny in a long time. The Snipes angle was dumb. So I guess there is a shithole town Next Door and Snipes can just enter the palace fully armed anytime they want? But hey, it gives them a chance to use the ballroom.

As a HUGE fan of the original, I don't know what they were going for here. Murphy seemed checked out and was not the star of the movie. Every scene with his son wasn't funny and was bloated "Hey, you can be whatever you want, and I don't know if I'm cut out for this and belong here." scenes. I give it one bottle of Soul Glo out of 4.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Late to the party but I liked it?

Like 98% of comedy sequels are absolute trash so it's pretty good if you judge it by its peers. No it's not an absolute stone cold classic like the first one but it's definitely a love letter to the fans.

Great Hair

Banned
The "prequel" was in every aspect better. Zamunda 2 had a surprising funny, decent first act especially with the appearance of that shaman (min13) dude.

Act 2 was tedious. Rape, everyone is horny, sex here, sex there and that obnoxious lady from ghostbuster ... she simply can´t do anything but yell, nag. Damn, she is annoying as fuck! I´d rather smell my own arse, than look at her.

#STOPSNLFACTORYOFBORINGUNFUNNYACTORSALREADY

Overall a bad sequel, with funny moments (Snipes, Sexist Priest with black socks, chocolate sexi front singer, that shaman dude, beatmania training facility among others). If you have anything else in mind, like going for a stroll, fart in someone´s face or beat up a toddler, just skip this one.

5.5/10

Uhtred

One of the most cringe worthy movies I have ever seen.
Edit: And that is coming from someone who considers the original as an all time classic.
This was like if one of us directed a fan version of number 2 at home.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Just got done watching this. I had to force myself to finish it. It was plain awful. The original was better in every single way. Wife and I rewatched the original last week in anticipation and I can't believe they even thought this shit was a good idea. The best parts of the movie are the flashbacks of the actually good original and the barbershop boys banter.

Not funny, cringey, and plain insulting to comedy. Comedy movies post-covid are just plain bad. Patronizing, preachy, middle of the road trash with very apparent political leanings.

Last edited:
Tried to watch this with the family and we turned it off, so we did not taint the original. It's time to retire Eddie. You're a king but your time has passed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just got done watching this. I had to force myself to finish it. It was plain awful. The original was better in every single way. Wife and I rewatched the original last week in anticipation and I can't believe they even thought this shit was a good idea. The best parts of the movie are the flashbacks of the actually good original and the barbershop boys banter.

Not funny, cringey, and plain insulting to comedy. Comedy movies post-covid are just plain bad. Patronizing, preachy, middle of the road trash with very apparent political leanings.

Tons of shit this days is patronising and preachy first and well done / funny / well thought out far far a distant second.

Just rewatched GhostBusters in UHD Blu-Ray (man the PS5 drive is f-ing loud for movie playback) and beside the wonders the HDR and wide color grading, the writing and acting is so so so so far beyond the 2016 movie…

Top Bottom