• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming 2 America Releases March 5, 2021 on Amazon Prime Video

ManaByte

Gold Member

It feels like we’ve been talking about Coming 2 America for forever now. It seems to be one of those long-awaited sequels that is always on the verge of being released but never quite does (and certainly the pandemic and Paramount’s seeming unwillingness to actually release any of its movies didn’t help). But now we have a firm release date for the sequel (March 5, 2021 on Amazon Prime Video), which reunites Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones, Shari Headley, John Amos and Louie Anderson. And what’s more, we’ve got actual photos from the movie too. It’s all happening.

The sequel sees Prince Akeem (Murphy) and Semmi (Hall) traveling back to America to reconnect with the son Akeem never knew he had (Jermaine Fowler). New cast members include Leslie Jones, Tracy Morgan, Wesley Snipes, and Rick Ross (who let the production use his Atlanta mega-mansion as a set). Stepping in for director John Landis is Murphy’s Dolemite Is My Name collaborator Craig Brewer. And as you can see from the photos below, Murphy will be inhabiting some of the other characters he created for the original movie as well. Coming 2 America can’t come soon enough. Is it too soon to ask about Beverly Hills Cop IV?

coming-2-america-feature.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg

unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-8.jpg

GreyHorace

For real? Never thought Murphy would make a sequel to this. I expected another Beverly Hills Cop to come over a new Coming to America.

This could turn out to be a career resurgence for Eddie Murphy. He was pretty good as Rudy Ray Moore in Dolemite is my name on Netflix.

cryptoadam

Banned
Doubt it will be funny. Eddie was far gone way before this, look at his last few movies, forget now.

So far no sign of SJWing it up and its releasing way after election so I don't think it will be some sort of anti-right wing borefest.

Lets hope they don't bait and switch us, but not sure how much mileage you can get out of Eddie Murphy fish out of water but this time is 2020 !

Should of done Coming To America 2, but this time he plays an North Korean defector. Would love to see Eddie do yellowface and its the only believable fish out of water story you could do.

Cautiously optimistic. You'd be an idiot to expect any modern comedy to actually be funny, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Watched the original earlier in the year. Still holds up.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
48Hrs & Trading Places were his only decent films..in the sense that I can re-watch them still to this day, Beverly Hills Cop I can take it or leave it, I suppose, but everything else he's ever done, was instantly forgettable,

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
48Hrs & Trading Places were his only decent films..in the sense that I can re-watch them still to this day, Beverly Hills Cop I can take it or leave it, I suppose, but everything else he's ever done, was instantly forgettable,

Beverley Hills Cop is still funny.

MacReady13

Film is pretty good. Not anywhere close to the original but I enjoyed it. Was nice to revisit these characters. Doesn't have the grit or hard edge of the original, due to the fact it spends almost no time in the USA and there is no swearing like the original. It's more a family film. Nice little throw backs as well. Don't want to spoil anything so just watch. You SHOULDN'T be disappointed.

SegaShack

Well it was alright. The throwbacks were all good and funny, but the
plot retread just felt like a worse version of the first film.

I had really high hopes for this movie though and wanted to love it. They'd have some funny material but then you'd have things like
three little girls beating up Wesley Snipes that were just kind of forced. I also thought the character of Akeem's son was really boring, despite being the focus of the film. I think Eddie's character in this one lacks the charm, caring, and happiness of his character in the first film. His wife who was also charming in the first movie isn't given much to do in this one.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I tried but the amazon servers were crashing ever 20 seconds. Got to Louie, so nice to see him! The pepsi product placement was great as well.

MacReady13

And can I say, how hard is it to de-age actors? The eyes are the biggest giveaway. How can people on tiktok look EXACTLY like Tom Cruise yet multi million dollar productions cannot get actors to look younger? Just takes me right out of the film.

Either way, film is enjoyable but forgettable. The original is a classic. This is a safe but fun sequel. Not offensive at all. Plays it safe.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Either way, film is enjoyable but forgettable. The original is a classic. This is a safe but fun sequel. Not offensive at all. Plays it safe.
I felt the same way. PG-13 rating might have neutered the comedy a bit but it was decent. If this were 15 years ago this would have somehow ended up as a Disney Channel original movie or a lesser known sequel, but not an instant classic like it should be.

If he ever decides to remake another one of his 80s classics, he needs to take more comedic risks and make it an R rating.

MacReady13

I felt the same way. PG-13 rating might have neutered the comedy a bit but it was decent. If this were 15 years ago this would have somehow ended up as a Disney Channel original movie or a lesser known sequel, but not an instant classic like it should be.

If he ever decides to remake another one of his 80s classics, he needs to take more comedic risks and make it an R rating.
I remember a while ago Eddie Murphy saying he wanted Beverly Hills Cop to return to it's R rated roots, along the lines of the Judd Apatow/Seth Rogen comedies. I'd be all for that. I've seen many reviews stating that the original Coming To America wasn't as rude as what you remember!!! The nudity. The swearing! What world are these people living in to try make this new film on par with the original?

Like I said, I enjoyed it but I could tell from the trailers it wouldn't touch the original film. But really, what comedy could?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I remember a while ago Eddie Murphy saying he wanted Beverly Hills Cop to return to it's R rated roots, along the lines of the Judd Apatow/Seth Rogen comedies. I'd be all for that. I've seen many reviews stating that the original Coming To America wasn't as rude as what you remember!!! The nudity. The swearing! What world are these people living in to try make this new film on par with the original?

Like I said, I enjoyed it but I could tell from the trailers it wouldn't touch the original film. But really, what comedy could?
They're doing Beverly Hill Cop IV on Netflix.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen many reviews stating that the original Coming To America wasn't as rude as what you remember!!! The nudity. The swearing! What world are these people living in to try make this new film on par with the original?
I think it's because they're thinking of the main characters Akeem and Semmi, who technically weren't rude, because literally everyone else around them was more rude instead which is what made the movie so funny. That rudeness and vulgarity unfortunately wasn't present in the sequel because of where the plot mainly takes place, which is why it should have come from Wesley Snipes' character and camp instead, but they sort of dropped the ball on his character and made him way more family friendly instead.

General public aren't as rude and as vulgar in real life as they used to be in the 80s and 90s, including New Yorkers. It was easy to tap into that back then and just have the comedy speak for itself. Now there's the issue of trying to please everyone and trying to get as many views as possible(which means current day PG13 rating) which rarely, rarely works out for comedy.

jason10mm

Gold Member
"The royal penis is clean, sire"

HOW DARE THEY OBJECTAFY THESE WOMYN!!!!!

I'm sure some internet shrew is typing the above words as i speak. I don't want to live on this planet anymore....Even if it was a sexist scene it was still funny and fit the character, allowing him growth.

Top Bottom