• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

Stupid question but what exactly is the Dark Multiverse

It's just this, but evil. That doesn't go into how the normal multiverse has worlds like Earth-3 (Crime Syndicate), Earth-10 (Nazi Justice League/Freedom Fighters), Earth-45 (SuperDoomsday), but theoretically, the Dark Multiverse is mostly shitty with a few "good" worlds.

duckroll

Finished reading the old Planet Hulk. Well, the main part of the story anyway. This book seems to have another 200 pages of extra shit which I'm not sure I care to read. I liked it quite a bit, and I've always liked the Planet Hulk concept (Hulk + Gladiator + Aliens), but I -HATE- how the story has to fit in a larger ongoing universe. It would be a great story if it's about Hulk getting exiled to some planet and then discovering the people and cultures in the world and then becoming God King, and then just ending there. Having to immediately come up with some OMG BOOM twist to force Hulk to return to Earth after going through that entire story is the sort of lame storytelling which makes a connected ongoing universe unappealing in mainstream comics imo.

Finished reading the old Planet Hulk. Well, the main part of the story anyway. This book seems to have another 200 pages of extra shit which I'm not sure I care to read. I liked it quite a bit, and I've always liked the Planet Hulk concept (Hulk + Gladiator + Aliens), but I -HATE- how the story has to fit in a larger ongoing universe. It would be a great story if it's about Hulk getting exiled to some planet and then discovering the people and cultures in the world and then becoming God King, and then just ending there. Having to immediately come up with some OMG BOOM twist to force Hulk to return to Earth after going through that entire story is the sort of lame storytelling which makes a connected ongoing universe unappealing in mainstream comics imo.

That was my only problem with Planet Hulk. There was a small chance I might have gotten over it if WW Hulk was decent (e.g., 20 issues of Banner punching Richards) but it was utter shite.

IrishNinja

That was my only problem with Planet Hulk. There was a small chance I might have gotten over it if WW Hulk was decent (e.g., 20 issues of Banner punching Richards) but it was utter shite.

yeah, WW hulk was the literal definition of overpadding a weak summer event - ugh, there's been a few but that's one i've no desire to ever revisit

MG310

The only thing I can recall about World War Hulk is Hulk ripping off Rockslide's arms and legs and throwing them to New Jersey.

Legacy didn't do much for me but I'm still like nowhere near caught up to modern marvel.

Besides the me-too aspect of it, the dialogue was kind of... bad? The prehistoric avengers are cool but other than that, it seemed a bit too vague as an outsider.

Pendejo still be using in a latino American's vocabulary? "Thor will be making out with Captain America today"... could Aaron atleast put a romantic spin on that instead of making it so... dry and obtuse?

duckroll

I picked up Kill or Be Killed Vol2 and Marvel Legacy #1 yesterday. Haven't had time to read them yet. Have a huge Amazon order of Gundam the Origin 5-12 and Noah coming in soon. I think I'm good for a while. :)

It's just this, but evil. That doesn't go into how the normal multiverse has worlds like Earth-3 (Crime Syndicate), Earth-10 (Nazi Justice League/Freedom Fighters), Earth-45 (SuperDoomsday), but theoretically, the Dark Multiverse is mostly shitty with a few "good" worlds.
The Red Death issue describes it as a universe where the absolute worst possible scenario always happens. Then, when a point is reached where that decision is avoided, the world ends up destroyed.

At least, that's what I got.

Finished reading the old Planet Hulk. Well, the main part of the story anyway. This book seems to have another 200 pages of extra shit which I'm not sure I care to read. I liked it quite a bit, and I've always liked the Planet Hulk concept (Hulk + Gladiator + Aliens), but I -HATE- how the story has to fit in a larger ongoing universe.

Have you ever read Son of Hulk? It picks up on Sakaar after the events of Planet Hulk. Really fun read if you like the setting and cultures you saw in the initial event. The latter part of the srries was tied into Realm of Kings cosmic event.

duckroll

Have you ever read Son of Hulk? It picks up on Sakaar after the events of Planet Hulk. Really fun read if you like the setting and cultures you saw in the initial event. The latter part of the srries was tied into Realm of Kings cosmic event.

I might have read some of it if it was tied to Realm of Kings, but I honestly don't remember much. I've read pretty much all the Abnett and Lanning cosmic stuff - the events, the Nova and GotG stuff, etc.

I might have read some of it if it was tied to Realm of Kings, but I honestly don't remember much. I've read pretty much all the Abnett and Lanning cosmic stuff - the events, the Nova and GotG stuff, etc.

When the book started, it was called Skaar: Son of Hulk. The book shifted main characters in the last third or so. I own the hardcovers but I'm probably going to buy it digitally since I'm in the mood to read it again.

Aizo

Banned
Legacy issue 1 was okay. I liked the moments with
Fantastic 4 stuff, Wolverine coming back
, but overall it wasn't super exciting for me. Also, the joke about making out at the beginning was super lame. Not funny.

===

I asked about this before, and I don't recall any answer I got beyond making fun of me for not being used to comics. When do people think Metal is taking place? Is it in the future? Is it in the past? Some comics are tying in, but other comics are just going on with the characters involved. Will I understand once I read the tie-ins?

I asked about this before, and I don't recall any answer I got beyond making fun of me for not being used to comics. When do people think Metal is taking place? Is it in the future? Is it in the past? Some comics are tying in, but other comics are just going on with the characters involved. Will I understand once I read the tie-ins?
Metal is taking place currently, as far as comic time goes.

It's just one of those things where, aside from some short tie-in arcs (like Gotham Resistance, which is multi-part crossover between a few other books), DC is keeping it separated from other books. This is unlike Civil War 2, where every book ever is being pulled in to tie-in for 10 issues until the event is done.

DC's second event since Rebirth, and it has also been done better than Civil War 2 and Secret Empire (the latter of which was far less intrusive). By doing a core book and then smaller tie-ins using only one issue of another book, it keeps things moving without breaking momentum.

Some Nobody

Stupid question but what exactly is the Dark Multiverse

Twisted mirror of the existing multiverse. It's a new concept basically explaining what "dark matter" consists of. The difference is the existing universes always exist--these worlds are all destined to be destroyed while new universes rise in their place and die as well.

World War Hulk is a shitty story, but in all honesty if superheroes weren't their own connected universe I'd give so much less of a shit.

And that's not really your problem anyway. Your problem is that they wouldn't just let Hulk stay there and instead make another Hulk for Earth.

Marvel Legacy was okay, some good, some meh

Good -

I would have been happy with a whole issue of BC Avengers just smashing up celestials and big dinosuars and stuff

Space Wakanda!!! I'm definitely down for this, I'm not sure where there going to pick it back up though, Coates Panther run so far seems to be quite grounded, with the first story covering the politics/government of Wakanda and the second series covering the old/new gods of Wakanda. Seems like a bit style change for him to be writing cosmic adventures, but then if they don't pick it up there where will they pick it up.

I would like them bringing back the infinity stones as more of a big focus and tying into the MCU universe a bit more in time for Infinity War next year.

Meh -

Logan being back is okay I guess, though as many people have said there seems to be a lot of Wolverines going around at the moment. Though why are they trying to tie him into a infinity stone, just seems weird to be trying to mix Logan up with cosmic events. Logan being back was actually ruined for me by some muppet on a fbook group, who when called out on it said 'Well we all knew it was going to happen at some point, so how can it be a spoiler' :(

The last page with Valeria didn't really seem like much of anything. We knew the other FF family members were out there after Secret Wars, so all we get extra is Valeria vaguely saying she wants to go home like a kid in the back seat on a long car journey. Don't even get to see Reed or Sue.

Legacy issue 1 was okay. I liked the moments with
Fantastic 4 stuff, Wolverine coming back
, but overall it wasn't super exciting for me. Also, the joke about making out at the beginning was super lame. Not funny.

===

Snyder’s stated order of stuff:
Rebirth, Metal, oz, miracle, doomsday. alternatively, the chronology is comics.

The Merciless tease.

More on the neo nazis favorite new hero.

I like whenever Snyder is asked too hard into continuity order and questions, he just goes "Eh I don't know, comics gonna comics" ha

From Rebirth trying to streamline the universe and reset a lot of characters origins for new readers DC is really getting back deep down thick in the old lore and continuity now. There getting away with it at the moment because the events like Metal are really fun but be interesting to see how the big messy boiling pot of pre 52 continuity, rebirth continuity, oz continuity, watchmen continuity and dark multiverse continuity ends up. I mean Metal is nowhere near new reader friendly and things are only getting crazier from here.

ElNarez

Banned
I mean I don't know, I feel like, "a bad demon brought bad Batmen from a bad Multiverse and they're fucking shit up" is easy enough to follow. You don't really need to get in the specifics of it, unless you're really into specifics.

Some Nobody

I mean I don't know, I feel like, "a bad demon brought bad Batmen from a bad Multiverse and they're fucking shit up" is easy enough to follow. You don't really need to get in the specifics of it, unless you're really into specifics.

Okay it isn't me? I've read so many comics at this point I can't tell if ambient knowledge is helping me or not. I never read much of Snyder's Batman but Metal doesn't seem confusing at all.

There's a reference to The Return of Bruce Wayne but that's about it.

Well if you want the bare basics you could probably understand those, but in the main Metal series issues pretty much every page has multiple references to old characters, lore moments and stories. I honestly think unless you have a decent knowledge of the DC history or are willing to look a few things up you won't get anywhere near as much enjoyment from it.

The tie ins are a lot more stand a lone and new reader friendly I'd say.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i want to read some Batman that isn't me re-reading The Black Mirror

wasn't a massive fan of Snyder's N52 run, already read Morrison's run

is there any good, modern, finished Bat-books I can dig into? i haven't read any Rebirth but it's still on-going soooo i dunno

thoughts?

Ross61

I don’t know why people would try to jump on at an event in the first place.

With that said Metal should still be enjoyable with only a basic knowledge of DC lore. I can’t imagine olanyone jumping in at this point in comics that doesn’t have atleast that.

I don’t know why people would try to jump on at an event in the first place.

With that said Metal should still be enjoyable with only a basic knowledge of DC lore. I can’t imagine olanyone jumping in at this point in comics that doesn’t have atleast that.

The first comic I read was Infinite Crisis and trying to make sense of every character featured in that was insanity. but fun.

I don't think anything about Metal is particularly hard to follow. You don't really need to know anything about Hawkman/Nth Metal etc that isn't explained in the comic anyway. The amount of references are just there to satisfy people who get them :p

The first comic I read was Infinite Crisis and trying to make sense of every character featured in that was insanity. but fun.

I don't think anything about Metal is particularly hard to follow. You don't really need to know anything about Hawkman/Nth Metal etc that isn't explained in the comic anyway. The amount of references are just there to satisfy people who get them :p

I get the obvious logic of not starting reading a comic series on an event but at the same time there will be people who haven't read comics for a while or are new readers who are hearing things from friends/the internet about the big bat shit crazy new comic event of the moment starring all these evil cool alternative versions of Batman who will be picking it up.

I'm not saying its wrong for them to go deep on the lore in Metal, that's one of the reasons I'm enjoying it personally, noticing little things and seeing more cool things from the online guides after the issues come out, but I honestly don't think you will enjoy the main issues as much unless you have a bit of DC knowledge or have read Snyders new 52 Batman run.

It pretty much is a end cap to his new 52 run, with multiple references to events in that run. You can understand the basic story, but I think if you don't know a little bit you will spend most of the issues continually asking whos that? whats that item there using there?
who's that evil group of masked guys who since the start of the new 52 batman have been plotting against batman and whos plan finally comes to fruition at the end of Metal 2? why is there a darkseid baby throwing up the metal sign? wait why is darkseid a baby? who is the anti monitor? wait what where they planning to do with his brain? ha

i want to read some Batman that isn't me re-reading The Black Mirror

wasn't a massive fan of Snyder's N52 run, already read Morrison's run

is there any good, modern, finished Bat-books I can dig into? i haven't read any Rebirth but it's still on-going soooo i dunno

thoughts?
Detective Comics is all about the Bat family and it's godlike

Vic_Viper

Havent been reading All New Guardians but ive been considering it. Was looking at the Amazon page for the first 2 trades coming out. Why are the issues out of order in both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2? Its like they are staggered. Vol. 1 has issues 1-2, then 4, 6, 8, and 10. Then Vol.2 has 3, 5, 7, 9. Are they 2 separate story lines or something? Is the book bi-monthly?

Also, anyone have the new Complete Editions for Bendis' New Avengers? How are they?

Sandfox

Havent been reading All New Guardians but ive been considering it. Was looking at the Amazon page for the first 2 trades coming out. Why are the issues out of order in both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2? Its like they are staggered. Vol. 1 has issues 1-2, then 4, 6, 8, and 10. Then Vol.2 has 3, 5, 7, 9. Are they 2 separate story lines or something? Is the book bi-monthly?

Also, anyone have the new Complete Editions for Bendis' New Avengers? How are they?
It is bimonthly. During the first 10 issues the story alternated between the first arc in the present day and stories that explained what happened to the Guardians between the Bendis run and this one. These answer big questions about the characters and how they have changed.

Vic_Viper

It is bimonthly. During the first 10 issues the story alternated between the first arc in the present day and stories that explained what happened to the Guardians between the Bendis run and this one. These answer big questions about the characters and how they have changed.

Oh man. Do I need to read Bendis's GOTG book before All New? I read the first like 2 arcs and dropped it after the Angela stuff.

And then he corrects himself in the tweet below when a user asks about Oz clarification “they happen before metal I meant. Metal is before mister miracle and doomsday.”

That potentially changes a lot knowing that Mister Miracle is after Metal.
Darkseid goes from a baby in Metal to Kid in Wonder Woman to ??? in Mister Miracle. His new body ages quickly...
Oh man. Do I need to read Bendis's GOTG book before All New? I read the first like 2 arcs and dropped it after the Angela stuff.

God no.

Aizo

Banned
Darkseid goes from a baby in Metal to Kid in Wonder Woman to ??? in Mister Miracle. His new body ages quickly...

God no.
Is that the case in WW now? I haven’t read since Rucka stopped writing. Get me up to speed?

Metal is taking place currently, as far as comic time goes.
That’s not possible considering what happens to Batman in Metal 2, and what’s he’s doing in TEC. That was my biggest confusion.

dan2026

You know, the amount of times Batman has fucked over the Justice League by not communicating and not being a team player is kinda absurd.

I would of kicked his brooding ass out years ago.
Guy is a god damn liability.

Is that the case in WW now? I haven’t read since Rucka stopped writing. Get me up to speed?

That’s not possible considering what happens to Batman in Metal 2, and what’s he’s doing in TEC. That was my biggest confusion.

Newest issue. Haven't read it but saw the pic. Arc is supposed to be about Diana, her lost brother and Grail.

zeemumu

I thought the Dark Universe's inhabitants didn't have to be inherently shitty as a sort of reverse world, just that the worlds themselves were shitty and falling apart due to existing on the underside of the universe and the shitty nature of everyone else spawns from there

I'm actually kinda digging a league of evil Batmen. I want to see more Red Death.

I thought the Dark Universe's inhabitants didn't have to be inherently shitty as a sort of reverse world, just that the worlds themselves were shitty and falling apart due to existing on the underside of the universe and the shitty nature of everyone else spawns from there

I'm actually kinda digging a league of evil Batmen. I want to see more Red Death.

The only person in those dark universes with a shitty nature is Batman lol.

mreddie

avengers_no_surrender_mark_brooks_cvr1852557841.jpg

No retreat no surrender!

Anyone notice they are fast tracking to Avengers 700?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
guys i think i really upset animeGAF

they are acting like their favorite anime antagonists and bullying me

I'm like 95% sure he won't leave before #1000.

sweet, i will revisit my Cass Cain read til he’s done. i want to read 1 definitive book from each of his Batfamily members

Sandfox

Comixology is having a big Avengers sale with a vast majority of the runs discounted. Even the issue of Avengers that came out last week is $1.

No Surrender is supposed to have some big returns so it will be interesting to see who they go with.

Top Bottom