• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I thought Black Magick was a fantastic first issue for a new series. The art was gorgeous and I loved how they added in color when she was casting a spell. The writing was good as well, which from my perspective is granted seeing how it was coming from Rucka. Really looking forward to where they are taking this.

VanWinkle

Final Crisis isn't all that necessary. I think there was a discrepancy between RIP and FC where they weren't sure where Batman would actually die, but RIP gives him a death. It just wouldn't mesh with the whole time-traveling thing, so that's why they had him die again in FC.

Man, though. You're a huge DC fan Poodle and you haven't even read B&R? I can't imagine how much more of a fan you'll be after.

I'm personally going to read FC since I bought it on hardcover for $4. I might as well. So far I have Batman and Son, Batman RIP (I read it a few months ago but I will read it again since that was the first Morrison book I read and I don't really remember much now), Final Crisis, and Batman Inc. (read that, too). I just need to get the Batman and Robin books, and then I will read in chronological order. And maybe I'll re-read Batman Inc by the time I get to all that, but I don't know. I remember it pretty well.

Squire

Banned
Alias came in the mail, so I'm gonna finish Seven Soldiers and then read all of that (or at least half of it) in time for Jessica Jones on Netflix. Gonna get back to Morrison's DC stuff afterward.

I'm personally going to read FC since I bought it on hardcover for $4. I might as well. So far I have Batman and Son, Batman RIP (I read it a few months ago but I will read it again since that was the first Morrison book I read and I don't really remember much now), Final Crisis, and Batman Inc. (read that, too). I just need to get the Batman and Robin books, and then I will read in chronological order. And maybe I'll re-read Batman Inc by the time I get to all that, but I don't know. I remember it pretty well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure FC is still worth reading, especially if you're a Morrison fan. It's just not a huge deal for his Batman stuff.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ah, I thought the Batgirl of Burnside trade was the start of a full #1 reboot but it's actually #35-40. I'd have been surprised if that was the one you were describing as the first issue was really fun.
If they had started Batgirl of Burnside a year later, they probably would have renumbered the issues alongside all the new ongoings they launched.

Messi

Joelle Jones Emma Frost commission.

12145226_1689379177968822_1539662454_n.jpg

Awesome

VanWinkle

I love what DC is doing with these $50 deluxe editions. They're a lot more affordable which is great for me (usually about $27 on IST). They're really quite close to omnibus quality (except their bindings, which are still pretty good), and just seem to collect a bit smaller runs instead of the huge ones in an omnibus.

So far I only have Multiversity which I just got today, but I'm getting Solo in the mail in the next couple of days, and I'm planning on getting Swamp Thing by Snyder and New Frontier by Cooke pretty soon. Which...I THINK is all of the $50 deluxe editions from DC.

A few other ones that are happening in the future are Geoff Johns Aquaman, Lemire Green Arrow, and Manapul/Buccellato Flash.

As somebody who can't very often afford omnibi, this is great. I still get a really good quality book, and a big, sometimes complete, run at a cheap price.

Here are a few pictures of Multiversity I took, just in case somebody is interested:

With the dust jacket on:
rsz_1031151842_hdr.jpg

Dust jacket off:
rsz_1031151837a_hdr.jpg

Inside of dust jacket:
rsz_1031151837_hdr.jpg

Binding (as you can see, it's sewn, but they must use a poor quality glue since it's firmly attached to the spine; still better quality than a purely glued binding and requires less holding down with your hand to keep it open):
rsz_1031151836a_hdr.jpg

I mean, isn't this pretty cool? Now, granted, maybe some of the other publishers are putting out ~500 page books this quality at this kind of price, but I'd be pretty surprised (edit: actually, Dark Horse's library editions are usually around that price and even better quality, even if they aren't usually as long). I don't follow the others very closely besides DC and kind of Marvel, whose quality other than their nice bindings in their omnibi are lacking.

Great video of Jordie Bellaire talking about her work and her process. Its froma french site so the questions are in french but she answers in english

Great write up. Thanks for sharing

Joelle Jones Emma Frost commission.
Awesome
All I can tell from this is that Emma Frost's thigh gap is indomitable

Mindwipe

Thanks for everyone's kind wishes the other day.

It was sadly, every bit as bad as I thought. So there we are :-(

I didn't reply earlier as was getting blind drunk at a Halloween party with hot chicks last night.

Messi

I bought Until Dawn today. I have to save the cheerleader so she can go sing country music songs with Connie Britton.

Messi

Anyone getting the phase two box set? looks nice and I haven't bought any phase 2 movies despite liking all of them very much. Yes I even liked Ultron.

goy5Cnt.jpg

The limited-edition, 13-Disc Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Two Collection invites you to hold the greatest power in the cosmos in your grasp – a Morag orb containing one of the legendary Infinity Stones! Plus Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and Digital Copies of all the Phase 2 films, in collectible packaging designed by artist Matt Ferguson. This set overflows with stunning Marvel Studios memorabilia, including a gold-foiled page from the book of the Dark Elves, an ancient drawing from the Morag vault, Avengers and S.T.R.I.K.E. uniform patches, a replica of the Tony Stark tattoo from Iron Man 3 and much more!

Contents Include:

Marvel’s Iron Man 3 (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Marvel’s Ant-Man (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Exclusive Bonus Content Disc
1:1 Prop Replica of the Morag Orb and More!

Packed with over 2 1⁄2 hours of content on an exclusive bonus disc, including never-before-seen Deleted & Extended Scenes, the complete set of Marvel One-Shot films and Commentary, From Here to Infinity: Phases 2 and 3 of the M.C.U., Tag Scenes: A Making-Of, Screen Test with Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista and more, this ultimate collection is a Marvel fan’s dream!

From Here To Infinity: Phases 2 & 3 Of The M.C.U:

Journey back through Marvel’s Phase 2 films, from its launch in Iron Man 3 through its fulfillment in Ant-Man, to see how individual characters grow and change, how their relationships with each other evolve over time, and how the universe itself expands with each story.

Listen to filmmakers discuss the first set of Phase 3 films– Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War, Marvel’s Doctor Strange, and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – and discover there are no limits to the adventure!

Phase 2 Tag Scenes:
A Making-Of:

Learn the story behind the post-credit sequence in Marvel’s Phase 1 and 2 movies, and explore how the scenes connect and unify the far-flung characters and worlds of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Plus:
Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant w/Audio Commentary By Clark Gregg
Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor’s Hammer With Audio Commentary By Clark Gregg
Marvel One-Shot: Item 47 With Audio Commentary By Louis D’Esposito, Max Hernandez, Titus Welliver And Jesse Bradford
Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter With Audio Commentary By Louis D’Esposito And Hayley Atwell
Marvel One-Shot: All Hail The King With Audio Commentary By Drew Pearce And Ben Kingsley
Iron Man 3: Deleted Scenes
Iron Man 3: Preproduction Creative
Thor: The Dark World: Deleted Scenes
Thor: The Dark World Preproduction Creative
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Deleted Scene With Audio Commentary By Anthony Russo, Joe Russo, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Preproduction Creative
Guardians of The Galaxy: Deleted Scenes
Guardians of The Galaxy: Preproduction Creative
Avengers: Age Of Ultron: Deleted Scenes
Avengers: Age Of Ultron: Preproduction Creative: Hulk vs. Hulkbuster
Ant-Man: Deleted Scenes
Ant-Man: Preproduction Creative

Anyone getting the phase two box set? looks nice and I haven't bought any phase 2 movies despite liking all of them very much. Yes I even liked Ultron.

Looks cool. More than I would pay for a Marvel movie box set, though. I don't really like oddball cases that won't fit on a blu-ray shelf.

Hagi

Too rich for my blood. I only need Ant-Man and having a load of plastic crap laying around is why I don't buy collectors editions for games.

Too rich for my blood. I only need Ant-Man and having a load of plastic crap laying around is why I don't buy collectors editions for games.

Same. That stuff is neat to look at for a few minutes, but then it just collects dust until you throw it out.

Messi

Looks cool. More than I would pay for a Marvel movie box set, though. I don't really like oddball cases that won't fit on a blu-ray shelf.

In Ireland we just get a regular bluray box set with all the movies and special features for like 50-60$ and that is perfect for me.

Enjoyed some of these comics after four months. It's been so long.

Time asks no questions, it moves on without you
Leaving you behind if you can't stand the pace

Messi

I didn't know this was a thing. I might get it but I don't really want to buy movies right now.

They did one for phase one. We always get box sets cheaper. You see how much box sets of complete series sell for in the US? Its madness. I just checked. On amazon Sopranos complete blu in the usa is $200, we pay 80-100 for the exact same box set just without the freedom.

They did one for phase one. We always get box sets cheaper. You see how much box sets of complete series sell for in the US? Its madness. I just checked. On amazon Sopranos complete blu in the usa is $200, we pay 80-100 for the exact same box set just without the freedom.

Yeah, it's nuts. The only good time to buy these things is around Christmas when Amazon has crazy sales. That said, I buy very very few series on BD because I'll never watch 95% of them ever again.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Half-right. You probably know which.

(The other is Iron Man 3, I've warmed up to its action scenes and at least half of it is still a pure Shane Black movie)
Oh good.

My list:

Winter Soldier
Ant Man
Avengers 2 = Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man 3
Thor 2

Messi

Yeah, it's nuts. The only good time to buy these things is around Christmas when Amazon has crazy sales. That said, I buy very very few series on BD because I'll never watch 95% of them ever again.

That price in ireland for Sopranos is the regular price, at christmas its closer to 50-60. All box sets get slashed in price in ireland coming up to christmas. In ireland people would not pay 200 for a sopranos box set.

My list:

Winter Soldier
Thor 2
Avengers 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man
Iron Man 3

Owzers

There are people here who like the Thor movies, we's must hide in the shadows and wait for them to become careless....yes....yesssssssss.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm sorry but: Thor 2, while Not A Good Movie, is still completely fun as shit, because it's a high-fantasy buddy cop comedy in which Tom Hiddleston has the time of his life annoying the crap out of Thor.

Hagi

I don't really like buying TV shows because I tend to fall off during seasons, like I bought the first two series of Game Of Thrones on blu ray but then stopped watching the show after season 3. I like buying anime on blu ray because they are seldom more than one season.

Lists?

Ant-Man
Winter Soldier
Iron Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor 2
Avengers 2

I think that's a good list.

power rankings:
Cap 2 > IM3 > Ant-Man > Thor 2 > Avengers 2 > GotG

Wow, you must really hate A2 and GotG. Thor 2 was awful.

That thread where everybody tried to remember the plot was funny, though.

Anyway, reading Batman and Robin vol. 1, it's pretty fantastic. Quitely's art is solild at worst, and pretty effectively captures some of the uglier stuff. Pyg especially.

Also, if this is what Jason was like pre-New 52, I can see why so many people disliked him. He's much better now tho.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just learned that the first new Doctor was the Villain in Thor 2 and was amazed how good they were in hiding his great acting abilites.

Top Bottom