• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Okay, so I'm reading Batman & Son, which I think I've actually read before, and there's this chapter that's... it's like an illustrated novel, but the images are all done with some 3D software. It's pretty hideous. Do I need to read this?
It's the worst part of the run. You can skip it if you don't want to read it.

tim1138

Okay, so I'm reading Batman & Son, which I think I've actually read before, and there's this chapter that's... it's like an illustrated novel, but the images are all done with some 3D software. It's pretty hideous. Do I need to read this?

No one reads the Clown at Midnight, skip away!

Boogiepop

So, I finished the Usagi Yojimbo Special Edition box set last night, which is all the stuff up to the Dark Horse releases. And yup, that was some enjoyable stuff. In particular, the
Seppuku ghost story
was a yeah holy crap, that was both really good and another strong reminder that despite the art this would totally not be suitable for children. Also a bit of a shame that the TMNT crossovers weren't a little more substantial/interesting, but oh well (also looks like maybe one is missing from these Usagi Yojimbo collections?) Which actually did cause me to realize that Usagi Yojimbo has actually held together a consistently released comic with tied together continuity for longer than the turtles, which is totally deserved but funny to think of considering the comparative popularity of the franchises (IE Usagi's just kind of gotten to be a hanger on of the TMNT as far as extended media goes).

Oh, and my journey through the Ultimate Universe started with the first arc of Ultimate Xmen, which was 6 issues. I'd actually read them before a while back but I literally only remembered like 2 scenes from it, so it definitely needed the reread. But yeah, a solid start that has me interested enough, at least.

I think fans of the Joker should read Clown at Midnight. I enjoyed it. Some great detail in there.

But the art.

The art, Korupt.

Just got through the first Black Glove story, btw. Nice creepy murderhouse mystery. And now I think Zurr-en-Arh is coming up. Looking forward to that.

But the art.

The art, Korupt.

Just got through the first Black Glove story, btw. Nice creepy murderhouse mystery. And now I think Zurr-en-Arh is coming up. Looking forward to that.

You don't need art with how well he writes. The detail in his words was amazing. You could smell the smells he was decribing. Something no picture could do.

Hagi

Wait till you see the Internet 3.0 issue in Batman Inc.

Shit is UGLY
RyEFFQI.jpg
holy crap no lies were told

Hagi

I am shocked, shocked!, that the EiC for Bleeding Cool used Bleeding Cool as mouth piece for Dark Horse and leverage into a job at Dark Horse

TLDR: remember that Janelle Asselin piece on harassment centered on Scott Allie from Dark Horse? Hannah Means Shannon wrote a piece defending Dark Horse saying it was all handled internally. The piece read like Dark Horse PR and Means Shannon was hired by Dark Horse as an associate editor afterward.

Interesting article noticed that Rich posted in the comments

richjohnston • an hour ago

As far as I am aware, when Hannah interviewed Scott Allie, she wasn't applying for any job. Any interest happened after that interview. She was approached, a very attractive offer was made, and she handed in her notice to Avatar Press after NYCC. It all happened very quickly.

Bleeding Cool did just counter a claim made against Nathan Edmonson by Graphic Policy in an interview with Eric Stephenson that doesn't seem to have won us many friends.

But if you are looking for conflicts of interest, Bleeding Cool is actually owned by Avatar Press. As The Comics Journal is owned by Fantagraphics. there must be something there.

Interesting article noticed that Rich posted in the comments

from the article
Prior to that, I was contacted with information alleging that Means Shannon’s resume had been seen at Dark Horse’s offices in August, at least two weeks before she conducted the interview with Allie on September 15th.

Unless everyone comes out and says *this is what happened* and pretty much everyone involved says the same thing, we are unlikely to find out the complete and total truth.

Rich Johnson is trying to come off as 'hey no it wasnt biased, she was offered after the interview so she couldnt have been biased beforehand' while sweeping aside the fact that Means Shannon tried to make her possible employer as good as possible. If she had her resume at DH, then we can assume that her intentions were to work for them.

not sure what he's talking about with Graphic Policy. Quick digging says its about Edmondson not having any titles with Image. BC says its more about lateness but Eric Stephenson doesnt say anything about it and denies that Image looked into Edmondson's behavior

I dont know about The Comics Journal since I dont keep up with it. The problem he's sidestepping isnt that a comics reporting site writes about a book or comments on a matter they have interest in, but that they do not disclose their interests. This makes it look like theyre impartial rather than part of the situation.

I'm very confused at Marvel's trade logic:

-Battle for the Atom and Trial of Jean Grey are in their own trades, with the relevant issues being stricken from the trades of their respective books.
-Black Vortex issues are, however, collected. Despite the fact that it has its own trade and has the same amount of impact on the book that any of the other events had

Like, why?

ElNarez

Banned
Axel Alonso is a goddamn dipshit who should be put miles away from the nearest e-mail client with a request for a regular interview column pending

The issue also confirmed the romantic relationship between Angela and Sera, something that had been speculated about by fans. So is it accurate to say that Angela is the first gay or bisexual lead character in the All-New, All-Different Marvel era?

Alonso: That's a question for readers to ponder and answer for themselves. We're not looking to put labels on the character or the series. We'd prefer that the story Marguerite, Kim and Stephanie are telling -- all aspects of it -- speak for itself.

Alright, my weeklies. Small pull this week:

Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1953: A nice little one-shot that has a couple nice Hellboy stories. Obviously I enjoyed it. Also, apparently there's a Joe Golem comic coming! My reading of that novel could not have been more well-timed.

The New Avengers #2: Fun action book. I'm really digging it so far.

Sam Wilson, Captain America #2: Again, I'm liking what I see. Though, the whole
"Steve vs. Sam" thing that was played up before this book came out doesn't seem to ACTUALLY be as big as it was presented. I was expecting "Civil War 2" to happen, but really Sam and Steve had a little lover's quarrel and now they aren't besties anymore.

For my trades that I read so far today:

All-New X-Men Vol. 7: The Utopians: This was a weird trade. A story of Emma training Jean to get better with her TK, Jean fights Blob, Emma and Jean make their way back home. Then a Black Vortex issue. Then the actual story the trade presents, which includes the cringey "Bobby's full gay," a bunch of former X-Men just want to live on Utopia, and then they go and live in the former Xavier School/Weapon X Facility. Also, Illyana is now leading the O5 + Laura. It's just weird. Doesn't feel like much happens, and I'm confused, considering before this I read:

Uncanny X-Men Vol. 5: The Omega Mutant: I really liked this story, but goddamned is this preachy as hell. Holy shit. Scott's preachy, Mags is preachy, EVA FUCKING BELL is preachy. Seriously, it gets old. Regardless, I'm confused about when this takes place, since apparently between the time that the O5 + Laura went to the Ultimate universe and when they got back, Scott disbanded his school. Illyana and Emma still help out the All-New group, though? Timeline is wonky! Also, more time travel apparently solved everything. Goddamnit.

ElNarez

Banned
What's wrong with what he said about labels and letting the work speak for itself?

The correct answer here was "Yes.", especially when you were this adamant about Hercules being completely totally straight and nothing else. He almost sounds apolegetic about the whole thing, like, there's someone pointing a gun at him and saying he's gonna pull the trigger if he acknowledges that Marvel has one solo book with a queer lead character.

Owzers

The correct answer here was "Yes.", especially when you were this adamant about Hercules being completely totally straight and nothing else. He almost sounds apolegetic about the whole thing, like, there's someone pointing a gun at him and saying he's gonna pull the trigger if he acknowledges that Marvel has one solo book with a queer lead character.

Maybe he learned from the Hercules thing and doesn't want to be so definite with character sexuality.

VanWinkle

Wow. Just read the Batgirl Death of the Family issues in the Death of the Family companion book and it was fantastic. Makes me want to read the pre-Burnside Batgirl N52 stuff now.

ElNarez

Banned
Maybe he learned from the Hercules thing and doesn't want to be so definite with character sexuality.

When you set that kind of precedent, passing up a chance to unapologetically show you're actually inclusive is, well, what an idiot dipshit clown would do.

It's the softest of softball questions for your all-softball interview, and Alonso found the way to blow it. He just had to say "Yes". Angela makes out with Sera twice in that issue. It's not all that open to interpretation. At the very least, it's not being mindful of these issues, which is bad. You could go a bit further, and call it cowardly balking at an imagined backlash from the worst crowd, like Joe Glass does in his column at Bleeding Cool. I just think it's one more incident that proves Alonso can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Maybe Axel just wants to let the series creators be the voice of authority regarding the story they're telling.

This sounds plausible to me.

When you set that kind of precedent, passing up a chance to unapologetically show you're actually inclusive is, well, what an idiot dipshit clown would do.

It's the softest of softball questions for your all-softball interview, and Alonso found the way to blow it. He just had to say "Yes". Angela makes out with Sera twice in that issue. It's not all that open to interpretation. At the very least, it's not being mindful of these issues, which is bad. You could go a bit further, and call it cowardly balking at an imagined backlash from the worst crowd, like Joe Glass does in his column at Bleeding Cool. I just think it's one more incident that proves Alonso can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Exactly.

I don't mind him saying that he supports the writers to tell the story and allow for people to make up their minds- to a point. But backing away slowly from any acknowledgement that Angela is sexually involved with a woman at present is pathetic. It doesn't even make sense from a business standpoint. Horny teenage boys are more likely, not less, to fap to Angela if she bisexual.

Exactly.

I don't mind him saying that he supports the writers to tell the story and allow for people to make up their minds- to a point. But backing away slowly from any acknowledgement that Angela is sexually involved with a woman at present is pathetic. It doesn't even make sense from a business standpoint. Horny teenage boys are more likely, not less, to fap to Angela if she bisexual.

What a noble reason to advance depictions of sexuality in comic books

Wow. Just read the Batgirl Death of the Family issues in the Death of the Family companion book and it was fantastic. Makes me want to read the pre-Burnside Batgirl N52 stuff now.

The DOTF stuff was definitely not my cup of tea, but it means you'll definitely enjoy Simone's stuff. Go for it, or wait for a CMX sale worse-case scenario. That run was pretty good.

Top Bottom