• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

One day dark horse digital sale:

Black Beetle 4 issue mini = $3
BPRD Vampire mini $4.50
Hellboy In Mexico one-shot $1

lots of other stuff

apparently hellboy in mexico is collected in the trades, vol 11 tpb and vol 6 library. So i own it and didn't know it :p

8bit

Knows the Score
Got my Zenith Hardcover today!

qwEo79J.jpg

Guess I can finally delete the scans I made 10 years ago.

You should read Sandman. Everyone should read Sandman. It's not one of those things everyone says is great but is really just whatever.

It's funny, moving, gorgeous, and Marc Hempel draws a bit of it.

Go, now.

There's always gotta be *that*guy haha, but despite really liking Gaiman's prose work, I just don't dig Sandman much. Now granted, I've only read the first absolute, so I'll cope to having not read it all. Then again, the first 20 issues really should give you a good idea of whether it's for you or not. I'll probably buy the new series in trade since it's been a long time and Gaiman's work has to have changed a little in all this time so maybe I'll like it, and I love JH Williams.

Daredevil: Road Warrior
Roadtrips bring new vistas and fresh ways of looking at the world, but they can also come fraught with unfamiliar dangers. Matt Murdock, aka Daredevil, may be finding out the hard way in a brand-new Marvel Infinite Comics experience, DAREDEVIL: ROAD WARRIOR.

The series marks the end of an era for writer Mark Waid’s acclaimed run with the Man Without Fear, and also the first major Marvel project for artist Peter Krause. Together, the two creators plan to set the hero on a path to destiny and in a way that only Infinite Comics can portray.

So are all these future X-Men staying in the present as well as the O5?

On Sandman Overture, I understand that it's a prequel but I presume that it has more resonance if one has read Sandman. Any opinions on that?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Got my Zenith Hardcover today!

qwEo79J.jpg

Guess I can finally delete the scans I made 10 years ago.

That looks sweet.

My reaction to reading this was "ooo, they finally rereleased Zenith?!?", check amazon, see it's limited to 1000 and costs £500. FUCK. That's kinda mad. To finally put out a rare and saught after book and then to have it also be super rare and expensive (on the aftermarket, you got a better deal I hope).

Now slightly more bummed than I was before reading your post :p

edit: ha it's actually cheaper just to get the original books from Amazon...!

The pull-list so far:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Nightwing Annual
Batman
Infinity
Avengers
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Scarlet Spider (I fucking LOVE this series)
Superior Spider-Man
All-New X-Men
Thor God of Thunder
Captain America
Iron Man
Nova
SAGA
The Walking Dead
Invincible
East of West

I just got into Marvel recently; I mean, I read Spider-Man in my youth, and I've always been a Bat-family fan. I'm really liking the Cosmic Marvel stuff. I read Thanos Rising, and oh my Christ, that was amazing.

Also, going to get the new Valiant books.

Guardians of the galaxy: so far my favorite comic right now from marvel

Superior spider man : just jumped into issue 20 instantly made me real salty with whats going on

other than that i'm enjoying forever evil too much

Did we want to set up some kind of Buy/Sell/Trade thing in here specifically for comics? I know a few folks post some stuff in the official thread, but it may get lost in the jumble of games and other things being sold in there. I know for me in particular I'm always looking to buy new trades/issues and I have some digital codes I'd be wiling to either offload or happily trade for other stuff.

Yeah, I reorganized all my comics the other day and made a list of all the stuff I want to unload. I know there's been interest expressed by Comics GAF to organize a buy/sell/trade kinda thing but I'm not sure how to proceed?

8bit

Knows the Score
That looks sweet.

My reaction to reading this was "ooo, they finally rereleased Zenith?!?", check amazon, see it's limited to 1000 and costs £500. FUCK. That's kinda mad. To finally put out a rare and saught after book and then to have it also be super rare and expensive (on the aftermarket, you got a better deal I hope).

Now slightly more bummed than I was before reading your post :p

edit: ha it's actually cheaper just to get the original books from Amazon...!

It was 100 quid from Rebellion, which isn't cheap either but that and Miracleman are the two books that I've always lusted after in reprints so I couldn't miss this. I must have spent at least that years ago to collect the floppies (and those I lost or missed). On the flip side, there will be better scans in future just not mine this time though.

Owzers

I can't stand Lex Luthor in comics, hate his guts. It seems like writers try to make him a likable monster from time to time, but he's just a monster

Veelk

Banned
I can't stand Lex Luthor in comics, hate his guts. It seems like writers try to make him a likable monster from time to time, but he's just a monster

Likewise. He thinks he is a good person but the tiniest amount of introspection would easily show him he's not. It makes him out to be dumb, that he can't see in the most basic terms how he's a shithead. Which is why I like him how he was in Lex Luthor: Man of Steel the best. In that comic, you have to remind yourself that Lex is a villain.

kswiston

So are all these future X-Men staying in the present as well as the O5?

On Sandman Overture, I understand that it's a prequel but I presume that it has more resonance if one has read Sandman. Any opinions on that?

If you like well written female characters in comics, you are doing yourself a disservice by not reading Sandman. The first TPB is not a great indicator of what comes after (it started out as more of a horror comic), but after that there are a ton of great moments, filled with great characters. The Doll's House, Season of Mists, A Game of You, Brief Lives, and the Kindly Ones are all excellent. The other collections are mostly an assortment of one-shot tales, and are more of a mixed bag. Wasn't a bit fan of the stuff in World's End, but there is some good stuff in Dream Country, Fables and Reflections, and the Wake.

EDIT: A Game of You is probably my favourite. It takes a one dimensional, throwaway character from an earlier story, and fleshes her out into someone really compelling.

kswiston

No.

Everyone except
storm's daughter
is going back.

the brotherhood...at least those which aren't dead
are also still in the present.

X-Men Event for 2014:

Old Xavier's consciousness survived his death at the hand of Dark Pheonix Cyke in its astral form. Xavier Jr is mindwiped in a big event battle between himself and O5 Jean. Old Xavier's astral form is drawn into the body of his alternate future grandson. Xavier is back from the dead :p

EDIT: Also back to being a cripple since that's how he appears in the films

Cheska

Yeah, I reorganized all my comics the other day and made a list of all the stuff I want to unload. I know there's been interest expressed by Comics GAF to organize a buy/sell/trade kinda thing but I'm not sure how to proceed?

Hmm what about for those that are interested to create a list on google or something and post it in here?

NoTacos

On top of that
Carlie and Watanabe are back in town with absolute proof Otto is Otto, MJ's just met a handsome fireman (poor Peter lol), Otto got Aunt May and Jay as well as his own girlfriend to sign over their life savings to fund a new lab, and he's in trouble for plagiarizing his own work
. Basically he's screwed from every conceivable angle. On top of that Flash is coming back into the book in an arc or two.
I'm new to the comic scene. Can you explain to me
who Carlie and watanabe are? I kinda get that Carlie is a superhero but I don't know which one or what her background is.

X-Men Event for 2014:

Old Xavier's consciousness survived his death at the hand of Dark Pheonix Cyke in its astral form. Xavier Jr is mindwiped in a big event battle between himself and O5 Jean. Old Xavier's astral form is drawn into the body of his alternate future grandson. Xavier is back from the dead :p

EDIT: Also back to being a cripple since that's how he appears in the films

I was thinking the same damn thing, to be honest. We all know it's coming. Wasn't that body Xavier died in a clone body anyway?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm new to the comic scene. Can you explain to me
who Carlie and watanabe are? I kinda get that Carlie is a superhero but I don't know which one or what her background is.

This doesn't need to be spoilered. They are both cops from NYC. Carlie and Peter used to date and he had revealed the mindswap to her in 700 but she didn't believe it, since then she's been looking for proof. Watanabe is also a cop who had taken on the moniker or The Wraith to help her fight crime, Carlie went to her for help in proving the mindswap happened.

If you like well written female characters in comics, you are doing yourself a disservice by not reading Sandman. The first TPB is not a great indicator of what comes after (it started out as more of a horror comic), but after that there are a ton of great moments, filled with great characters. The Doll's House, Season of Mists, A Game of You, Brief Lives, and the Kindly Ones are all excellent. The other collections are mostly an assortment of one-shot tales, and are more of a mixed bag. Wasn't a bit fan of the stuff in World's End, but there is some good stuff in Dream Country, Fables and Reflections, and the Wake.

EDIT: A Game of You is probably my favourite. It takes a one dimensional, throwaway character from an earlier story, and fleshes her out into someone really compelling.

Thank you very much for this. It's true that books that feature well written female characters go to the top of my list. And I didn't know that about Sandman. I do hope to get around reading it sooner than later.
For now I am not allowing myself to buy more trades unless I fear they will be difficult to procure at a later date. I have too many unread books on my self at the moment.

Cheska Dm'd ya. Hopefully it went through. Neogaf seems to like to eat my DMs.

Owzers

Please be joking!

Comics aren't really worth that much outside of the golden age stuff and some Image books when theyre first released because they manipulate the supply to create manufactured scarcity.

I've been saving this book in my box of random things for years! I can't let the dream die, all i have to do is wait for everyone else to throw away their copies and i can cash mine in for a PS5.

I've been saving this book in my box of random things for years! I can't let the dream die, all i have to do is wait for everyone else to throw away their copies and i can cash mine in for a PS5.
Pfft. I've got an unopened, black bag Death of Superman still sitting there. Ain't worth shit, either.

Eldren

Anyone here playing Arkham Origins? I think donie has it, right? I'm really liking it so far; admittedly it's basically Arkham City 2, but I loved that game so I'm happy with this.

Anyway, I'm about 2/3rds through the story according to the synopsis percentage, and I just saw something really cool.
I'm on the mission in the Gotham Royal Hotel, where you're trying to reach Joker in the penthouse. After the explosion and you grab on to Vicki Vale's news chopper then land on a nearby roof and fight some goons, you can see a couple of statues on the roof that look like Talons. They've got body armour and the eyepieces and everything.
I thought that was a nice touch, incorporating comics lore into the game world.

Also, there's a new Copperhead in the game, a woman. Apparently Geoff Johns said that he liked her enough that he wants to introduce her into the New 52. Has anything more been said about that? I don't recall seeing any mention of her recently. I don't even know what book she would appear in. A Batbook? Justice League? No idea. I do quite like her design, although it's a bit cleavage-y for my tastes. I think she's suffering from Catwoman's Broken Zipper Syndrome; her vest has a zipper on but it's stuck right below her boobs and looks ridiculous.

"Dang it."

I love it! :D

And not just because seeing Batman and Wonder Woman interacting together in any positive capacity warms my heart.

Eldren said:
Anyone here playing Arkham Origins? I think donie has it, right? I'm really liking it so far; admittedly it's basically Arkham City 2, but I loved that game so I'm happy with this.
I need to get around to playing Arkham City one of these days. I'm done with consoles, but my backlog of "already bought but unplayed" is still huge.

Cheska

Cheska Dm'd ya. Hopefully it went through. Neogaf seems to like to eat my DMs.

The PM system has been really shitty. I don't get half of the messages I'm supposed to and vise versa ;_; Sent you a message though, hopefully you got it!

PS, anyone in here read She-Hulk by Dan Slott? Is it any good?

ALSO! I started reading Young Avengers, Noh-Varr has a Spirited Away poster in his room , I love this book already!!! :O

Nudull

Banned
The PM system has been really shitty. I don't get half of the messages I'm supposed to and vise versa ;_; Sent you a message though, hopefully you got it!

ALSO! I started reading Young Avengers, Noh-Varr has a Spirited Away poster in his room , I love this book already!!! :O

I haven't read Slott's run yet, but I really want to (I almost got started on the first volume I borrowed from a library, but a lot of things got in the way :c).

Also, good on you for starting Young Avengers. You will adore it, trust me.

Owzers

...Okay, is he actually doing it? Because I've been working on the November OT for two days now, but if someone else is doing it then I'll stop.

Two days? Throw away your work because i'm going to copy and paste a picture of Supergirl #1 and make a thread about how people should buy it.

( do not throw away your work )

Nope! Didn't get the PM. Maybe just respond here? Or I can PM you my email address since my outgoing messages seem to be going through?
I just don't know anymore, man.

On the subject of comics increasing in value, the common opinion on the matter is that it just doesn't happen with the big two. But Image isn't the only publisher whose books do. I sometimes try to track down titles from tiny indie publishers that were printed just a few years back and they can be scarce and can go for big bucks on eBay.

Cheska

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!!!

Gah this makes the hunt for it even worse. None of the comic book stores in my area have the trades and a lot of them are going for over retail price online :( I know a collection is coming out in Feb but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

Owzers

Gah this makes the hunt for it even worse. None of the comic book stores in my area have the trades and a lot of them are going for over retail price online :( I know a collection is coming out in Feb but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.

It's all up on Marvel Digital Unlimited if that's an option for you. Gohastings has a used copy of the first trade for $6ish including shipping.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't read Slott's run yet, but I really want to (I almost got started on the first volume I borrowed from a library, but a lot of things got in the way :c).

Also, good on you for starting Young Avengers. You will adore it, trust me.

Get on it, Slott's She-Hulk is really good

Eldren

I need to get around to playing Arkham City one of these days. I'm done with consoles, but my backlog of "already bought but unplayed" is still huge.

It's a great game, I definitely recommend it trying to set aside some time for it. There are aspects of Arkham Asylum I felt were sorely missed (the Scarecrow segments are among my favourite game moments of this gen) but overall City was such a massive step up in design that it didn't matter.

Also I think I'll be among those putting my name down for the collected editions of Slott's She Hulk.

Owzers

Im only seeing the first 12 issues?

i'm not entirely sure, but i think it was split up between the year runs. Try the other she hulk listing right next to it for the other part of slott's run.

EDIT: looking at amazon's trade listing, it was split up. She-Hulk 2005-2009 is the rest of Slott's run on the book in Marvel Unlimited.

So I've seen CBR's opinion... what does ComicGAF think about bi Loki?

Personally, I think it's fine and suits his character, but... I'm probably not gonna read the book anyways.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So I've seen CBR's opinion... what does ComicGAF think about bi Loki?

Personally, I think it's fine and suits his character, but... I'm probably not gonna read the book anyways.

At first glance it feels a bit akin to what they did with Daken, but he's been female before so could work out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom