• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really say much about BOTA that's already been said but I was really assuming there would be a better conclusion

Kitty, why??????????????

Looking forward to Infinity

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, Battle of the Atom's ending was essentially "
Cyclops stay winning
"?

LgXxjGf.jpg

In retrospect, Necrosha (as an X-Force arc, didn't care for the tie-ins) and Second Coming are way better than BotA, in the sense that there are things happening, they make sense due to character motivations, they happen at a nice pace and they have conclusions that come from everything built up to that point.

Let's not pretend BotA had that degree of structural competence.

No, sorry. Necrosha is not better than anything. Necrosha is the worst story ever written in any medium. I want to make a longer post about how terrible it was, but not now.

MartyStu

It's because despite all he's done, he's the only one talking sense.

Thats some revisionist bullshit.

Since the Hank brought them over, Wolverine's absolute first reaction was to send them back. That is literally the ONLY reasonable reaction.

With that said, the entire schism deal needs to end. I am tired of it. SOME movement needs to be made in terms of reunifying the X-Men.

I admit, the more I read my way towards the end of BOTA, the more I've come to actually like Cyclops again. Is it the Bendis kool-aid?

No. The character really is not unlikable. It is the continued desire to have 2 X teams that causes issues.

Cheska

Well today was a nice day for catch up.

Saga 15: Damn you! Why are you such an addiction!? It makes the wait so unbearable, especially when they end it like that ;_;

Nightwing Annual: I don't actually read any of the Nightwing comics, but I picked it up today because of the Babs team up. You guys were right, they really should make a team up book, I would read the hell out of it every month.

Green Lantern Annual: Thought it was a good finale to the Lights Out arc, and it did get me interested in GL lore, but I'll probably wait a bit before picking up the trades and following the series. I feel like it would be so easy to get lost since there's so many different GL books..

Guardians of the Galaxy #8: What the hell is happening in this book. Maybe it's because I haven't been following Infinity, so I have no freakin' clue how we ended up here. I did like the art though, thought it was a nice touch.

Did we want to set up some kind of Buy/Sell/Trade thing in here specifically for comics? I know a few folks post some stuff in the official thread, but it may get lost in the jumble of games and other things being sold in there. I know for me in particular I'm always looking to buy new trades/issues and I have some digital codes I'd be wiling to either offload or happily trade for other stuff.

So we're having Halloween celebrations today and tomorrow at the child care centre. This year we have 3 Batmans, 1 Ironman, 1 Captain America and1 Batgirl. My favorite is the blue and grey Batman.

Superheroes have been filling out most the parties my 5 year old has been to so far this year, still mega popular with kids. Saw a cute robin costume on someone's little brother that had come along, kid was only 3 I think, looked dead funny. I'm getting the child ready as a teenage mutant ninja turtle this morn for school party. I love seeing the kids into all the stuff we were into as kids (and I guess we're still into haha)

Mafro

Finally got around to reading BOTA 2.

Someone PLEASE get Bendis away from X-Books. Have him write some Avengers again (but not Uncanny. Or A+X).
He just needs to go back to writing non-team-based street level heroes books, something he's actually good at. I'd love to see Remender as the main X-Men writer at some point. His Uncanny X-Force was the best X-Book since Whedon's Astonishing.

When the fuck is Mike Carey coming back??????? Please. We need you, Professor C.

Real talk. Mike Carey is the 3rd part of the X-writer trinity alongside Claremont and Morrison. So underrated. He deserved to talk the helm of the whole X-franchise, but kept getting his impact diminished. After he basically set up and executed the best event since the 80s, they didn't let him do anything important and he quietly disappeared.

Teen Titans Annual, I don't even, what the fuck, how,
Nathan-Fillion-Loss-For-Words-Reaction-Gif.gif

This shit is so convoluted, is there anyone on the team whose not itching to, has betrayed them, and why the fuck is Gar suddenly green again.

I read it because it has characters I want to see what happens to them, but it has just been consistently piss poor. :(

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
PHEW--got my Sandman Overture. It's the McKean cover though ::sadness::

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
wat

That's the one I picked specifically. Amazing amazing amazing.

I'd forgotten what a phenomenal book Sandman was. This issue. My christ.

Nah, don't get me wrong, the McKean cover is beautiful, but those colors on the JH Williams. My god, Birdie, the colors.

Also, out of curiosity, is Sandman not a big deal anymore? For me, Sandman is one of a small list of comics that saved my life AND got me into comics, but it seems like it just came out and...NOTHING.

Nah, don't get me wrong, the McKean cover is beautiful, but those colors on the JH Williams. My god, Birdie, the colors.

Also, out of curiosity, is Sandman not a big deal anymore? For me, Sandman is one of a small list of comics that saved my life AND got me into comics, but it seems like it just came out and...NOTHING.
I think I might have read Death: The High Cost of Living once. I think...

Filthy Slug

I think I might have read Death: The High Cost of Living once. I think...

Bacchalo did the art, right? Always interested to hear what you think about a non-Marvel book nowadays, Spike. What'd ya think?

I guess not. It's weird because it reminded me how incredible the book was. I'd forgotten. Probably not the only one.

NEO0MJ

I'm waiting for the TPB.

Bacchalo did the art, right? Always interested to hear what you think about a non-Marvel book nowadays, Spike. What'd ya think?
Honestly no clue. There was a period I college when I'd skip classes and spend the day reading books and graphic novels at the bookstore. I remember sitting down with it and reading/skimming through, but it didn't stick with me or make me want to buy it to reread at home at my leisure.

Yeah, I've never read Sandman but I do want the slipcover TPBs. I wonder now if I should wait until they release them with Overture included.

It's possible that a lot of the people who really loved Sandman back in the day have since fallen off comics. Sad to think that they might miss out on this addition.

Honestly no clue. There was a period I college when I'd skip classes and spend the day reading books and graphic novels at the bookstore. I remember sitting down with it and reading/skimming through, but it didn't stick with me or make me want to buy it to reread at home at my leisure.

You should read Sandman. Everyone should read Sandman. It's not one of those things everyone says is great but is really just whatever.

It's funny, moving, gorgeous, and Marc Hempel draws a bit of it.

Go, now.

Filthy Slug

You should read Sandman. Everyone should read Sandman. It's not one of those things everyone says is great but is really just whatever.

It's funny, moving, gorgeous, and Marc Hempel draws a bit of it.

Go, now.

Yeap, all of this. Issue # 4 is permanently inscribed in my mind, and a line from it in the bathroom in my old college dorm, which is still there all these years later.

It's not just a comic that you read as a late teen/early 20-something year old and then forget about when you're a bit older. It truly is a masterwork that covers a spectrum of timeless feelings/emotions, situations, and topics and presents it in comic book form. It's a modern day mythology and it's glorious.

More Sandman Overture hype,, that was awesomness. Ive never read any other sandman but i really liked Overture alot.

I thought Damian: Son of Batman was ok, art was goood.

Saga ended that issue with a bang.

I have a good pile of comics waiting for me:

Avengers #22
Battle of the Atom(#2-#10)
The Superior Spider-Man TPB Vol. 2( just read Vol.1 last week, love it)
Batman: Court of Owls TPB
Chew Vol. 3 TPB
and a few others patiently waiting their turn..

ReiGun

Aquaman Annual: DC really needs to give the Others their own series. I like these characters and want to see more of them, and I don't want to wait for annuals for random Aquaman issues to do so.

BotA: Well that was a whole lot of nothing. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. The ending with Kitty was so dumb.

Forever Evil ARGUS: Steve Trevor is a simp. lol That aside, it looks like this will be a fun mini.

Infinity and Avengers: The war against the builders felt like it ended a little too easily for all the buildup and constant hopeless talk. That said, I am glad it's over, since it means the Avengers can head back to Earth and get involved in the really interesting half of this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom