• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to cut my pull list down to 30 or so titles from 40.

I'm thinking about dropping Morning Glories ( might pick up the OHCs since i don't like reading this month to month), Justice League and JLoA after Forever Evil ends, Fatale, All New X-Men, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and Guardians of the Galaxy since it's crossing over with All New.

Agreed?

Sounds good. I don't read those books but your reasoning seems solid. I read about 30 books a month but I'd like to bring it down to 25 or even 20.

. . .

So we're having Halloween celebrations today and tomorrow at the child care centre. This year we have 3 Batmans, 1 Ironman, 1 Captain America and1 Batgirl. My favorite is the blue and grey Batman.

Owzers

Sounds good. I don't read those books but your reasoning seems solid. I read about 30 books a month but I'd like to bring it down to 25 or even 20.

. . .

So we're having Halloween celebrations today and tomorrow at the child care centre. This year we have 3 Batmans, 1 Ironman, 1 Captain America and1 Batgirl. My favorite is the blue and grey Batman.

What gets in my way of outright dropping some books, like Bendis stuff, is that the issues come with digital codes and he attracts great artists...so i read the issues and try to sell them, and i get to keep the digital copies for the art. The downside being my comics time is taken up by mediocre books like GotG #6

Wool

If you mean the PAD run, it's getting the Complete Collection treatment starting in December. It's over 100 issues, an omnibus would be ridiculous. I say that as a fan of omnibii.

The bigger the omnibus the better. I got The Invisibles omnibus back in March and I still haven't finished it. Over 1500 pages.

If you mean the PAD run, it's getting the Complete Collection treatment starting in December. It's over 100 issues, an omnibus would be ridiculous. I say that as a fan of omnibii.

Yessssssss.

Same here. But good luck. It's not so easy.

Say what?

I was hoping her thing with young Cyke was temporary.
Laura's new costume matches the rest of the O5 team's, so either they're generic X-costumes for all of the students under Cyclops to wear, or she's going to be hanging out with the O5 to make Jean jealous often enough that she needs to look like a regular cast member. Either way, Bendis is the one who has her.

ALLNEWXMEN_CVR_022.jpg
ALLNEWXMEN_CVR_021-fin.jpg

Eldren

Edit - kinda fun to think about but you have Forever Evil happening and little do these people on Earth know what's going on in the Universe.

On a related note, I think this is one of my favourite aspects of Annihilation. (Spoilers for those who haven't read it)
Nova is out in space with the Guardians doing a bunch of space heroics, crushing the Annihilation Wave, watching entire planets being destroyed, etc. Then he returns to Earth while they're in the midst of Civil War and he straight up calls out Iron Man for his petty bullshit.

I absolutely love this page.

Also, as someone who has never read X-Factor but thinks the premise sounds interesting, those Complete Collections sound awesome.

Nudull

Banned
So, Battle of the Atom was a load of nothing, just action piece after action piece towards the end, and I'm not too keen about the aftermath of things. I'll still be pulling X-Men and Amazing (still need to catch up on WATXM, and Uncanny I might try), but outside of that...eh.

Deprive

Yeah Bota could have been far less issues :\ Also pair Storm up with someone who isn't Wolv, Thor, or BP. :|

Also kill X-23 already please..

Superior Spidey is the Superior troll. lol Slott faked me out, thought that the
person who woke up from a coma, was going to be Peter in a new body.

Really have a feeling that
Peter is in Norman's body. We're going to end up having two Peters running around at the end of Superior Spidey. Real Pete in Norm's body and revived memory Pete in Pete's body.

MartyStu

Laura's new costume matches the rest of the O5 team's, so either they're generic X-costumes for all of the students under Cyclops to wear, or she's going to be hanging out with the O5 to make Jean jealous often enough that she needs to look like a regular cast member. Either way, Bendis is the one who has her.

Ugh.

Also, whats up with her chest. She looks like shes gained several cup sizes...

BluWacky

I still like Morning Glories, getting caught up now on issue 32ish. I also hate it, mainly the format and how the story is told. Spencer really likes writing this book in a way that calls upon every past issue, everything is "important", and i don't remember any of it really. There's a school and people are special, the teachers are jerks and torture people on occasion. Then it gets whacky. And now there is a study guide at the end of each issue for people like me who don't remember every call back and instead of enjoying a story, i'm reminded about how unremarkable some of these important moments are that i don't even remember them.

" The first page in issue 30 is the same first page in issue #1" Yeah okay i'll take your word for that one since i don't remember, but it's neat!

My copy of volume 5 turned up yesterday but I think I've forgotten who everyone was and roughly what they were doing :(

Also got Tommy Taylor, which should fulfil my Unwritten fix for a bit; I wasn't a huge fan of The Wound, I think the story should probably have finished up at the end of War of Words, but I understand they're relaunching after a break sometime next year? I hope it doesn't go to pieces, I loved it up to that point.

Owzers

My copy of volume 5 turned up yesterday but I think I've forgotten who everyone was and roughly what they were doing :(

Also got Tommy Taylor, which should fulfil my Unwritten fix for a bit; I wasn't a huge fan of The Wound, I think the story should probably have finished up at the end of War of Words, but I understand they're relaunching after a break sometime next year? I hope it doesn't go to pieces, I loved it up to that point.

The only way i can see myself continuing Morning Glories is buying the OHC and rereading everything before each new volume comes out Xo

Question: Was anyone actually expecting anything from Bendis? His UXM/ANXM going to be the same crap we got from him with his Avengers run except replace Cage with Cyke.

He can't do team books that he didn't help create all the characters in.

Sorry but kinda true. Give him a street level book to write.

Am I the only one who paused for a second in Avengers when I noticed Annihilus was still hanging around with everyone?

At some point, he's going to become Sam and Roberto's roommate and they'll buy a keg or something.

Damn, I really liked both issues this week. Opeña is killing it.

Question: Was anyone actually expecting anything from Bendis? His UXM/ANXM going to be the same crap we got from him with his Avengers run except replace Cage with Cyke.

He can't do team books that he didn't help create all the characters in.
I still think the first part of his first NA run was great. I liked the buildup to Secret Invasion.

But yeah, his best books (DD, Alias, The Pulse) were character books. That helps not notice everyone is Spider-Man.

Yeah, BotA was totally inconsequential. That, and I'm no fan of the ending. Kitty going with Cyclops? Bleh.

Am I the only one who assumed Storm's daughter is also Wolverine's kid? I think in one of the earlier issues she mentioned "sensing" things; I figured she got Wolverine's heightened senses or something like that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I still don't even understand how Kitty and X-23, both members of the Adopted Daughters Of Wolverine club, somehow side with Cyclops in his incredibly poor taste NEW XAVIER SCHOOL and not back at Wolverine's while his entire character is radiating "let me be your dad" waves to an entire school? It doesn't make even remotely a lick of sense.

So when Nightcrawler comes back during Amazing, is Kitty gonna be all "mang I sure chose the non fuzzy elf side :("?

Rrgh, its such an inconsequential development but its really narked me off. Especially when I bet Bendis is saving up for a TIMEFUCK Event next year where he might actually touch what the fuck system could even be put in place to stop the O5 travelling when it was established if Cyclops died and didnt go back, current Cyclops fades out. TIME TRAVEL HUH.

Mafro

I still think the first part of his first NA run was great. I liked the buildup to Secret Invasion.

But yeah, his best books (DD, Alias, The Pulse) were character books. That helps not notice everyone is Spider-Man.
Yeah I really enjoyed most of his first volume of New Avengers. I think Dark Avengers is his best team-based work by a long distance, I absolutely loved that.

Shout outs for Spider-Woman and Moon Knight too for his street-level stuff.

I still don't even understand how Kitty and X-23, both members of the Adopted Daughters Of Wolverine club, somehow side with Cyclops in his incredibly poor taste NEW XAVIER SCHOOL and not back at Wolverine's while his entire character is radiating "let me be your dad" waves to an entire school? It doesn't make even remotely a lick of sense.
I honestly think it's just Bendis once again pandering to the rabid, die-hard X-Men fanboys who enjoy seeing Cyclops "getting one over" on Wolverine. He seems to enjoy shitting on SHIELD and the Avengers in a similar manner these days too.

Ok, I read Damian and I enjoyed it. It reads like a teenager wrote it but that fits Damian. He does not have his fathers intellect. There was some interesting parts in there also but the down fall is I think they are trying too many things in only 4 issues. The story jumped from one thing to another abruptly and while it did not detract from the story too much, it's still a negative. On the other hand, the art was downright gorgeous.

I give it a 7/10

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I honestly think it's just Bendis once again pandering to the rabid, die-hard X-Men fanboys who enjoy seeing Cyclops "getting one over" on Wolverine. He seems to enjoy shitting on SHIELD and the Avengers in a similar manner these days too.

You just reminded me of the "full retard" moment in this final issue where Maria Hill doesn't know the heli-carrier she's on as DIRECTOR OF SHIELD that they're packing giant missiles that have Sentinels inside. This is new news to her. "Oh I had wondered what the fuck those were but eh, too busy making passive aggressive quips".

NoTacos

Ohhhhh boy....... for someone who has read Superior Spiderman #20
did we just see the first glimpse of madame web's future involvement?? also holy shit did not see that coming with Black Cat

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ohhhhh boy....... for someone who has read Superior Spiderman #20
did we just see the first glimpse of madame web's future involvement?? also holy shit did not see that coming with Black Cat

I believe we just did. Shit is getting real for Otto, he's super boned.

Okay, okay....can somebody tell me what "All New" is?

-----------

Comics I picked up today:
Superior Spider-Man #20
Guardians of the Galaxy #7 & #8
The Avengers #18
Batman #24
Chapter 10 of Battle of the Atom

NoTacos

I believe we just did. Shit is getting real for Otto, he's super boned.

Ohhhh mahhh goodness!!!! This is supposedly the issue that sets the tone for the events to come. We need to break it down because we're obviously missing something.
So far Spidey 2099 is still stuck in 2013, Black Cat is pissed, Madame Web is about to clean house, and I still believe Peter isn't gone for good!

Also for Damian: Son of Batman, I thought it was whatever. Damian seems kind out sorts and over dramatic and I was actually thinking of taking it off my pull list but then that ending
Bruce Wayne lives??? D:
I'll stick around for at least another issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ohhhh mahhh goodness!!!! This is supposedly the issue that sets the tone for the events to come. We need to break it down because we're obviously missing something.
So far Spidey 2099 is still stuck in 2013, Black Cat is pissed, Madame Web is about to clean house, and I still believe Peter isn't gone for good!

On top of that
Carlie and Watanabe are back in town with absolute proof Otto is Otto, MJ's just met a handsome fireman (poor Peter lol), Otto got Aunt May and Jay as well as his own girlfriend to sign over their life savings to fund a new lab, and he's in trouble for plagiarizing his own work
. Basically he's screwed from every conceivable angle. On top of that Flash is coming back into the book in an arc or two.

Owzers

GotG #6 and 7, did anyone like these issues? It was basic super hero fluff, first issue fight someone without talking to them, second issue talking to them. $5 later I have only regret.

Stark is so out of place in this book and Bendis doesn't know how to write multiple characters. Quill and Stark are basically clones of peter parker like usual, they even share lines two pages apart.

Stark: "Not according to, you know, science"

Quill two pages later talking to Angela: " The authority of, you know, good and right"

What gets in my way of outright dropping some books, like Bendis stuff, is that the issues come with digital codes and he attracts great artists...so i read the issues and try to sell them, and i get to keep the digital copies for the art. The downside being my comics time is taken up by mediocre books like GotG #6

Yep. Life is too short to read mediocre comics. My problem is that there are too many good, interesting books in my wheelhouse. And I can't stop combing through previews every week to know everything that's coming out. I'm going to have to invent more arbitrary rules for books I won't pull. Hmmm.. Nothing that starts with the letter "R"!

Yeah, BotA was totally inconsequential. That, and I'm no fan of the ending. Kitty going with Cyclops? Bleh.

Am I the only one who assumed Storm's daughter is also Wolverine's kid? I think in one of the earlier issues she mentioned "sensing" things; I figured she got Wolverine's heightened senses or something like that.

Black panther. BP has super senses, always has.

Best part of BOTA was Phoenix Quire and Ice Wizard.

Quentin Quire is by far my most favorite part WatXM.

It's actually Ice MASTER. lol

BE the ice!

MartyStu

Finally got around to reading BOTA 2.

Someone PLEASE get Bendis away from X-Books. Have him write some Avengers again (but not Uncanny. Or A+X).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom