• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I read the first couple Sandman trades from the library and didn't like them XO I found the Absolute vol 2 and 3 editions cheap used but haven't read them yet, did it get better?

ElNarez

Banned
As I've said multiple times, y'all are crazy and I'm the only one with the correct opinions. Speaking of, LIST:
AQUAMAN ANNUAL #1
FOREVER EVIL ARGUS #1
SANDMAN OVERTURE #1
SWAMP THING ANNUAL #2

SAGA #15

AVENGERS #22
DEADPOOL KILLS DEADPOOL #4
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #8
INFINITY #5
UNCANNY X-FORCE #13
X-MEN BATTLE OF ATOM #2

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That writing is wretched. Fuck DC for letting Kubert write this story and muck around in my favorite issue's world (666-world).

Yo, GrandHarrier, I know you didn't like Morrison's Batman but not liking Burnham's art is some nonsensicalness. The death of Damian page is one of the most impressive comic pages I've seen in a while, and his run was filled with great pages like it.

Also, Burnham can actually write. His Inc. issues flowed dialogue-wise and were competent stories, unlike this horseshit Kubert is putting on the page.

This thread also contains people who don't like All Star Superman, I just don't know anymore.

Those aren't people, Tim. Pretty sure you need a soul to be considered human.

Veelk

Banned
I like the flow of action scenes burnham does, but everyone looks like they're made of mashed potatoes in his art. I'm not a fan. And All-Star Superman is terrible. Come at me bros.

tim1138

That writing is wretched. Fuck DC for letting Kubert write this story and muck around in my favorite issue's world (666-world).

Yo, GrandHarrier, I know you didn't like Morrison's Batman but not liking Burnham's art is some nonsensicalness. The death of Damian page is one of the most impressive comic pages I've seen in a while, and his run was filled with great pages like it.

Also, Burnham can actually write. His Inc. issues flowed dialogue-wise and were competent stories, unlike this horseshit Kubert is putting on the page.

Those aren't people, Tim. Pretty sure you need a soul to be considered human.

I swear, sometimes I think we're the same person...

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) read the Batman The Black Casebook tpb that collected the 50s and 60s stories that inspired Morrison's run? I've read the original Zur-En-Arrh and Batmite stuff, but I've never read the original Club of Heroes stuff.

Eldren

I don't know if this has been discussed here, but if you want to know the identity of Spider Hero in Mighty Avengers, it looks like Marvel screwed up and accidentally spoiled it by posting a copy of Al Ewing's script for issue 1 online. For those who don't mind being spoiled (SPOILER WARNING)
the guy in the costume is Blade.

I haven't been reading this and I don't know who I was expecting but I don't think it was this character. Pretty cool.

I don't know if this has been discussed here, but if you want to know the identity of Spider Hero in Mighty Avengers, it looks like Marvel screwed up and accidentally spoiled it by posting a copy of Al Ewing's script for issue 1 online. For those who don't mind being spoiled (SPOILER WARNING)

I haven't been reading this and I don't know who I was expecting but I don't think it was this character. Pretty cool.

god, blade is total shit. i was hoping it would be 616 miles morales

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If they're going to use him it should have been in the Morbius book!

frye

OH jesus guys, have you saw the dialogue in the damian son of batman preview...

Click

I really hate to trash people but damn. They should have got a scripter alongside Kubert to help him at least. I genuinely laughed at a few bits. Such a shame, the concept of Morrison's future damian could easily have slung a decent run.

lol, it's Batman Odyssey except boring

Between Tony Daniel, David Fitch, Neal Adams, and THIS dialog, they really gotta stop letting artists write Batman stories. They can't all be Frank Miller, DC.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Between Tony Daniel, David Fitch, Neal Adams, and THIS dialog, they really gotta stop letting artists write Batman stories. They can't all be Frank Miller, DC.

Add Manapul/Bucchawhatevs. It's becoming a fucking plague at DC. I don't understand how a competent editor could let this go out the door. These fuckers just cannot write.

tim1138

Add Manapul/Bucchawhatevs. It's becoming a fucking plague at DC. I don't understand how a competent editor could let this go out the door. These fuckers just cannot write.

The Damian book went out the door because it has Andy Kubert's name on it. Lord only knows about the rest of them.

Filthy Slug

I swear, sometimes I think we're the same person...

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) read the Batman The Black Casebook tpb that collected the 50s and 60s stories that inspired Morrison's run? I've read the original Zur-En-Arrh and Batmite stuff, but I've never read the original Club of Heroes stuff.

I just caught this. Haha, yeah, I think you were the first person in the comic thread who I was like "this dude has SOLID taste and I gotta listen to him more."

I've never heard of The Black Casebook til now! Looks great though, and anything that provides more reference or a deeper understanding of Morrison's Batman run is a must for me.

That and the issues he mentions as his favorite on his third Fat Man on Batman appearance about some mailman who decides he's going to be the Batman, dresses up as him and prepares to do some vigilante work, but gets shot and killed almost instantly by the bad guys.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I don't know jack about how comics writers are paid, but I wonder if DC's just capitalizing on artists who want to try writing, and DC can get the writing element for a lower rate from them due to less experience. Kind of a win/win for both sides, without consideration for the creative direction at least.

Vibranium

Banned
I finally read my stuff after beating Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, Velvet was freaking awesome, nothing like reading action scenes drawn by Steve Epting or Michael Lark (Lazarus is just as epic obviously). I'm in it for the long haul. Velvet seems like a great femme fatale and I can't wait to see all the shit she gets into in the 70's setting. I hope we see her kicking ass and taking names without Brubaker putting her into "damsel moments" like a certain Widow.

Uncanny Avengers was just ok, in between the awesome moments I'm losing interest fast, I just get tired of "wah wah, mutant rights!", I wish there would be actual progression for the Xmen part of 616 in terms of acceptance. Think I might drop this one for Remender's upcoming Black Science (which hopefully is at or above Captain America's level).

Also, fuck Marvel for relaunching DD and probably increasing the price to $3.99, when you do that to lower-level heroes you're just asking for disaster. Punisher better be at 3 bucks or else it's doomed again. I wish they'd actually consider $1.99 for certain books as an experiment, who knows, if the creative quality is high it might work.

Vibranium

Banned
The best part is that Bucky's miniseries is going to set up a future arc in Captain America, meaning there is probably going to be a team-up in Steve's solo where they deal with the events from his past coming back.

WS by Remender + Bucky in Secret Avengers sounds perfect to me.

Bucky is gone from Secret Avengers when Ales Kot takes over, he'll be in All New Invaders (Cap, Namor, Human Torch and him) in January.

Ahhh, I honestly don't know. After all the Fear Agent talk in ehre, I was let down a fair bit by the series. Coupled with not digging his Cap much and I'm just not feeling it. Do we know the artist?

Is their any Catwoman trades worth reading? The new 52 catwoman is leaving me cold.

I haven't read them but they are next on my list as soon as I have cash: Brubaker's run, they've did three new collections in the last year or so recollecting it. Like I said, I haven't read, but dude shits gold, everything else is amazing, I can't imagine it not being brilliant.

Roland Boschi is the artist.

Well, I like Boschi well enough so we'll see. I'm trying out Black Science anyway, I still feel like Remender has somethin in him that I'll love, I just haven't read it yet. IF I dig that, I'll try the winter soldier series.

And I was going to edit in a link to the volumes I was referencing, but Serpentine beat me, that's the one!

Vibranium

Banned
Ahhh, I honestly don't know. After all the Fear Agent talk in ehre, I was let down a fair bit by the series. Coupled with not digging his Cap much and I'm just not feeling it. Do we know the artist?

Roland Boschi, I haven't read any of his work before though. And I really like Remender's Cap run but I can see multiple reasons why it is turning people off. Still, his pulpy style fits WS perfectly since during his Cold War years Bucky went on all sorts of "superhero-spy esque" missions as well.

Roland Boschi, I haven't read any of his work before though. And I really like Remender's Cap run but I can see multiple reasons why it is turning people off. Still, his pulpy style fits WS perfectly since during his Cold War years Bucky went on all sorts of "superhero-spy esque" missions as well.

Don't get me wrong man, I really want to like Remender haha, I'm not saying his work is shit or anything. There were moments in Fear Agent that I thought "If the whole thing had been this, I would have went gaga", kind of why I think I'll like Black Science. Not sure what about his Cap put me off. I guess Brubaker Cap really IS cap for me, on a certain level. I got back into comics when I was 18 leaving school and moving to the city for Uni, where they had an actual real ass comic shop. Brubaker's run had just kicked off, and having never had any Captain America interest before, it utterly blew me away, and he really only just left go of those reins. Cap has always been Brubaker for me on a level, so maybe it'll just take awhile to get beyond that. I didn't really like his second run with McNiven either, so maybe it's just cap in that real geopolitical gritty tone that does something for me.

I haven't ordered anything from InStockTrades in forever, so I decided to get some goodies I've been meaning to pick up. Bought:

Walking Dead HC Vol.9
Revival Deluxe HC
Glory Vol.2
Morning Glories Vol.5

All Image goodness.

Vibranium

Banned
Don't get me wrong man, I really want to like Remender haha, I'm not saying his work is shit or anything. There were moments in Fear Agent that I thought "If the whole thing had been this, I would have went gaga", kind of why I think I'll like Black Science. Not sure what about his Cap put me off. I guess Brubaker Cap really IS cap for me, on a certain level. I got back into comics when I was 18 leaving school and moving to the city for Uni, where they had an actual real ass comic shop. Brubaker's run had just kicked off, and having never had any Captain America interest before, it utterly blew me away, and he really only just left go of those reins. Cap has always been Brubaker for me on a level, so maybe it'll just take awhile to get beyond that. I didn't really like his second run with McNiven either, so maybe it's just cap in that real geopolitical gritty tone that does something for me.

I totally get it man, Bru's run certainly was a definitive Cap for me too because of the amazing espionage tone. But goddamn, he wrote an atrocious annoying Sharon (Glad Remender
axed her ass, at least for now)
and screwed over a great Bucky/Widow relationship for the stupidest reason (Alonso claims to have had nothing to do with it and I actually believe him), so he's made mistakes too.

Have you read Jason Latour and Nic Motherfuckin Klein's Winter Soldier arc? It was arguably better than Bru's, so it does that proves other people can work with characters he's known for and bring new things to the table. That's why I'm super excited to see what James Robinson does with The Invaders.

But hey, enjoy the books you love man, don't listen to me! :D

I totally get it man, Bru's run certainly was a definitive Cap for me too because of the amazing espionage tone. But goddamn...he's made mistakes too.

Have you read Jason Latour and Nic Motherfuckin Klein's Winter Soldier arc? It was arguably better than Bru's, so it does that proves other people can work with characters he's known for and bring new things to the table. That's why I'm super excited to see what James Robinson does with The Invaders.

But hey, enjoy the books you love man, don't listen to me! :D

Hahah, yea, as much as I love (almost) all his stuff, he's not infallible, I'll cop to that. I follow creators usually, not characters, but I also won't follow a favourite creator through anything. And yea, I absolutely loved Latour & Klein's WS, I would love to have thought their run only got cut short so they could take a few months lead time to come back for a NOW! relaunch, but no dice I guess. Time to shock but I've never read anything by Robinson, so I don't know if Invaders will be something for me or not.

And hey ,don't worry, I like the chat for sure!

Splatt

The best Marvel could do was an Iron Fist guest appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy.

I hope losing your soul was worth it.

Totally worth it.

BartsSoul.png

KePoW

Banned

Oh Fear Agent is no good? As a new comic fan, that's a series I was thinking of trying based off recommendations.

I notice that Wolverine & The X-men is going straight to TPB now and skipping hardcovers. When did that happen? If I actually bought the hardcovers, I'd be kind of annoyed.

Oh Fear Agent is no good? As a new comic fan, that's a series I was thinking of trying based off recommendations.

Donie is good people but he's fucking crazy for not liking Fear Agent. It's awesome.

Haha, I'll take the compliment in here Acid! Yea, Kepow, what can I say? I am a significant outlier on the fear agent thing, everyone else loves it haha! I really did like certain elements though, particularly in the middle of the series there is an arc that really goes on an explorational tangent and introduces a bit of horror, and that looks exactly like what Black Science is all about so, still hanging on to Remender haha. Don't take my opinion as something that puts you off, I'm sure another 20 people will be in a minute to sway you the other way anyway haha!

I notice that Wolverine & The X-men is going straight to TPB now and skipping hardcovers. When did that happen? If I actually bought the hardcovers, I'd be kind of annoyed.

Ugggh fuck that. I think Batwoman has just done this too, as my pre-order was changed from HC to tpb, and it's going to put such a blemish on the collection. I feel for anyone that happens to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom