• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit to loving a good chunk of the New 52. It got me back into comics in a big way when I was mostly a dabbler before hand. But I swear to God, I don't even know how the fuck you salvage Teen Titans at this point. It's almost Stormwatch levels of bad.

I actually was OK with it in the beginning. The fact that it crossed over with Legion Lost, in the Harvest storyline, certainly helped. But I actually liked some of the new characters they brought in, like Bunker and Skitter. Seemed like a decent place to try out new characters and see how they do.

But the team has dwindled to the point that I don't even know what you do with it at this point. Legion Lost swept under the rug. Bunker, gone. Skitter gone. A prominent member slated to be killed off in a few months. You're going to be left with like, four members for the team.

Just fucking kill everyone on the team and start over with a new one, please.

Teen Titans: Rebirth?

Everything I've heard of Lobdell's run makes it sound like such a mess. I've been wondering, who was the last good Titans writer?

frye

Teen Titans: Rebirth?

Everything I've heard of Lobdell's run makes it sound like such a mess. I've been wondering, who was the last good Titans writer?

Maybe the first dozen issues of Geoff Johns' stuff. It gets really stupid after a while though. Peter David's Young Justice, if that counts.

In all seriousness, Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans is the thing people really care about.

Wool

pCvUoKZ.png

This makes me want to pick up some Green Arrow trades.

Maybe the first dozen issues of Geoff Johns' stuff. It gets really stupid after a while though. Peter David's Young Justice, if that counts.

In all seriousness, Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans is the thing people really care about.

Johns' run is very good until Infinite Crisis/One Year Later, when it then goes off the rails spectacularly.

Owzers

Infinity #4: My biggest gripe about this series is the panel layouts and transitions. I praise books from time to time that flow well or do inventive things with panel layouts ( JH Williams does an excellent job with crazy layouts), but Infinity stands out for just being sloppy on a regular basis. Go to the page where
Thanos' son changes from the terrigenesis bomb, it's incredibly cramped to fit on a single page and by the time you get to the last two panels it's just an arm sticking out and skulls.
It's possibly the least enjoyable book to look at that i buy.

Also
Was i supposed to know it was a bomb that would release a terrigenesis wave before this issue? I heard people talk about it but i didn't pick up on anything in issue 3 or earlier, just that Maximo and Black Bolt were working on a secret device
It felt like narration boxes were taking over the plot in those few pages. And that Black Bolt/Thanos fight was terrible, both in action and layout, especially since i did like issue 3's ending. The rest of issue 4 was okay though.

a really nice looking fables one was just solicited.

Fables-bookends.jpg

Hnnng, had every intention of getting those for my girlfriend, but the price is just waaaay too high.

Also, yea, the damian alternate future thing could of made a great mini. Hell, if batman beyond can swing an ongoing series, this probably could have as well but....Kubert.

Dark Horse Presents is excellent. The quality is impressively consistent, but the last two issues in particular have been strong. The only bad story has been Neal Adams' Blood. It's a treat to read a wide array of quality shorts in one book. When I put it down I feel like I've just feasted on a big, satisfying meal.

JEKKI

It just bothered me that it seemed like I missed something
lol the entire series is about stuff u missed.

like you'll be reading one trade where they're having adventures on jupiter,

then the next trade all of a sudden they're on saturn.

and Yorick's like

"yo 3 fitty! remember that time when we were on neptune and the thing happened?!"

and you're all reading the series and thinking to yourself

no... I don't remember that at all @_@

Wool

lol the entire series is about stuff u missed.

like you'll be reading one trade where they're having adventures on jupiter,

then the next trade all of a sudden they're on saturn.

and Yorick's like

"yo 3 fitty! remember that time when we were on neptune and the thing happened?!"

and you're all reading the series and thinking to yourself

no... I don't remember that at all @_@

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Y: The Last Man. The premise was great, but all three of the main characters were pretty obnoxious. It wasn't bad, but a little overrated imo.

zeeaykay

So does anyone know what the deal with this new comic book "Public Relations" is? I saw a review on Comic Book Therapy, and when I went to read it again it's gone. The page leads to nowhere, but I found the cached page, HERE.

However, google leads to old interviews from 2012, and the publisher, First Comics, doesn't have a current website. I even did some twitter digging and couldn't find any recent mention. Anyone know anything more? I'm really intrigued now!

JEKKI

one of my wishes has come true!

a Sandman sale of comicology!

Sandman Sandman!!!

what is recommended?!?!

I'm doing google searches and it appears that this series doesn't really do arcs?

like every or most issue is a standalone?

all the "best of" lists I'm trying to read recommend single issues lol

SystemBug

I made some batman art!
Too bad I'm not reading anything batman related atm :(

Can't wait for Saga #15. Honestly think it's one of the best comic series I have read.

tumblr_mv130g25pw1qg5492o1_500.jpg

Are there any other horror comics that have come out recently that you would recommend?

I highly recommend Locke & Key and Severed (seven-issue mini-series), Locke & Key has only one issue left to go, every arc excluding the current has been collected in trades. I have become so attached to the characters, Joe Hill is a master of characterization. The build-up of tension in the last arc is on another level, I've found it difficult to read out of fear for the lead characters. He has another mini-series coming soon, 'NOS4A2', based on his novel of the same name. I'd recommend keeping an eye out for that one too.

Anyone seen the GL Annual #2 preview?

Oh how much do I love how this plays out and if Sinestro will show up in a last minute gamble as the yellow light is the last one missing?

After years the Lanterns not called Jordan are getting meaty storylines that acutally matter to the overarching plot and they do not seem like wallpaper.

Anyone seen the GL Annual #2 preview?

Oh how much do I love how this plays out and if Sinestro will show up in a last minute gamble as the yellow light is the last one missing?

After years the Lanterns not called Jordan are getting meaty storylines and get to do something in the conflicts and are not wallpaper.

I saw the preview. I'm not sold on the idea of the
Templar Guardians and Kyle working with Relic. Especially in light of what he did to the Blue Lantern Corps.

My recommendations for Korupt on horror the other day (although the question was more framed around comics with genuinely creepy/disturb moments than straight up horror genre): Severed, Locke & Key and Sweet Tooth. IF we're talknig actual horror genre stuff, I guess Sweet Tooth doesn't fit, but it really does have its moments (and it's brilliant). American Vampire & Fatale are both fantastic, although I rate Locke & KEy above if you were after just one. Some people describe the hellboy stuff as horror. I absolutely love those books so much, but often I kind of consider them in the weird vein. Sometimes that means weird horror, weird pulp, weird fantasy. All great but I wouldn't say horror defines em.

And as an extra, I've not read em yet, but I've got my eyes set on Inj Culbard's lovecraft adaptions as my next horror buy. The art looks fantastic, the new trade dress on them looks great and well, the story is lovecraft haha. Hope that helps everyone looking for horror ideas in the spirit of halloween. I do think horror is extremely hard to do in comics though, and I'd always recommend a stephen king book first if peeps are after a brilliant horror read. Joe might own the comics realm, but his dad still trounces him at prose haha.

EDIT: Oh, hey, after all that, I remember something really great afterwards. DC reprinted two volumes of a great little digital series they had at Zuda comic, called Bayou. It is full of creepy awesome imagery. Sadly they didn't print the last volume but they are very rad.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The next League of Extraordinary Gentlemen material arrives in April 2014.

DnqOweu.jpg

“From The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen! Sixteen years ago, notorious science-brigand Janni Nemo journeyed into the frozen reaches of Antarctica to resolve her father’s weighty legacy in a storm of madness and loss, barely escaping with her Nautilus and her life. Now it is 1941, and with her daughter strategically married into the family of aerial warlord Jean Robur, Janni’s raiders have only limited contact with the military might of the clownish German-Tomanian dictator Adenoid Hynkel. But when the pirate queen learns that her loved ones are held hostage in the nightmarish Berlin, she has no choice save to intervene directly, travelling with her ageing lover Broad Arrow Jack into the belly of the beastly metropolis. Within that alienated city await monsters, criminals, and legends, including the remaining vestiges of Germany’s notorious ‘Twilight Heroes’, a dark Teutonic counterpart to Mina Murray’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And waiting at the far end of this gauntlet of alarming adversaries there is something much, much worse.”

This also led me to learn that Moore spoke this past April about some plans for a Volume 4 after doing the trio of Nemo adventures.

"I mean, we’re having quite a lot of fun being able to do something away from the strict continuity of the League – that’s not to say that we don’t still enjoy the League, and we’ve got a blockbuster Volume Four lined up for when we finally finish these little… intermissions."

I saw the preview. I'm not sold on the idea of the
Templar Guardians and Kyle working with Relic. Especially in light of what he did to the Blue Lantern Corps.

I'm sure there is something else going on.
We did not see enough of Kyle in Red 24. But we saw that they realized that something is wrong with the spectrum. And the guardians and Kyle seem to think that they need to work with Relic to adress the problem before they can but heads about the destruction of the blue and greens.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
one of my wishes has come true!

a Sandman sale of comicology!

Sandman Sandman!!!

what is recommended?!?!

I'm doing google searches and it appears that this series doesn't really do arcs?

like every or most issue is a standalone?

all the "best of" lists I'm trying to read recommend single issues lol

Start at #1 and work forward. The series definitely does work in arcs (they are handily collected in 'trade paperbacks' numbered 1 through 10), but it has one-off stories interspersed through.

It's one of the best long form comic stories ever, don't make baby Lesus cry by reading it all out of order.

OH jesus guys, have you saw the dialogue in the damian son of batman preview...

Click

I really hate to trash people but damn. They should have got a scripter alongside Kubert to help him at least. I genuinely laughed at a few bits. Such a shame, the concept of Morrison's future damian could easily have slung a decent run.

tim1138

OH jesus guys, have you saw the dialogue in the damian son of batman preview...

Click

I really hate to trash people but damn. They should have got a scripter alongside Kubert to help him at least. I genuinely laughed at a few bits. Such a shame, the concept of Morrison's future damian could easily have slung a decent run.

I was just going to post about this, good lord is it awful. They should of just had Burnham write and draw it.

And yes, I know it's something Kubert's had in the works for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom