• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I was in a Barnes and Noble today and I saw a copy of that Doctor Doom/Doctor Strange team up in softcover, but I didn't have enough on me to buy it. Gonna go back tomorrow and hope that it's still there.

So fucking excited for my comics tomorrow. Everything is going to be awesome.

I usually feel that way but I have yet to read most of my stories from last week. It's not like me to fall behind but, y'know, video games. It feels weird to be 'bout get my books but not crazy stoked...except for Lazarus! Bring that cinematic, sizzling hot and fresh goodness. Conclusion of the opening arc, guys! It's about to go down!

LIST

Lazarus #4 Image
CBLDF Liberty Annual Image
Mocking Dead #1 (2nd printing) and #2 Dynamite
Trillium #3 DC/Vertigo
#1 for $1 Star Wars Dark Horse

So I was in a Barnes and Noble today and I saw a copy of that Doctor Doom/Doctor Strange team up in softcover, but I didn't have enough on me to buy it. Gonna go back tomorrow and hope that it's still there.

Mignola art HNNNNNG

Rbm2yY5.jpg

MartyStu

I am basing this on nothing other than what we've seen in solicits and a gut feeling but after BotA I believe that
the O5 will be leaving the Jean Grey School, and either strike out on their own or join with Scott's side. AND, Kitty is almost certainly going to leave the school to follow them; we've already seen the aftermath of BotA is that she's missing them, and an Uncanny cover shows her with the girls from Scott's side. So Bendis with have All-New and Uncanny to do his stories with the O5 and Team Scott, possibly together, while Aaron gets WatXM and the new Amazing series for Team Logan.

Damn it, that would suck. Especially since
Kitty's bitching is contrived as fuck.

sca2511

Browsing /co/ and saw this. Was wondering if there's anybody that gets their singles binded into hardcovers?

Examples:
3b4369eb919729f7a074f9570bde45f5196b9157_r.jpg

1e81639a21a5f60f44ab9b2c6a831d5074b878fc_r.jpg

8e726ae9dc2eaa41fb40d44b9a174e47d277f55e_r.jpg

First time I've seen this and they are nice. Wondering about the cost though.

Was wondering if there's anybody that gets their singles binded into hardcovers?

@RyanHigginsRyan of the Geekbox / Comic Conspiracy podcast talks about this sort of stuff a lot. You may consider tossing him a tweet about it, he is a cool guy who has answered many of my questions before.

Genuine ignorant person q here: I totally get it for old, pre-trade comics, that you read the shit out of and fear disintegrating but what would be the purpose in (taking an example from one of those pics) buying Fatale in singles then having them bound? I have no idea but the quality of those hardcovers makes me think it isn't cheap to have it done. Might you not be cheaper buying the singles...then just buying the trade? It's Bru so it'll likely get a hardcover release too.

Genuine question, not a troll. I know very little about the practise.

Genuine ignorant person q here: I totally get it for old, pre-trade comics, that you read the shit out of and fear disintegrating but what would be the purpose in (taking an example from one of those pics) buying Fatale in singles then having them bound? I have no idea but the quality of those hardcovers makes me think it isn't cheap to have it done. Might you not be cheaper buying the singles...then just buying the trade? It's Bru so it'll likely get a hardcover release too.

To my knowledge the main advantage of binding is that you choose what goes into the book. So if there were say, crossovers, you could include them and put them into the book in chronological reading order to create the appropriate reading narrative

Also, in many cases, the actual quality of trades isn't always the best, but binding can be of relatively high quality.

Thunderbolts! Captain Marvel!

David Lopez is the type of artist Cap Marvel needed. I probably would've stuck with it if it were him doing the art for the early arcs.

Browsing /co/ and saw this. Was wondering if there's anybody that gets their singles binded into hardcovers?

I've considered it, but i don't have many singles runs that i'd actually want to bind

Mafro

I am basing this on nothing other than what we've seen in solicits and a gut feeling but after BotA I believe that
the O5 will be leaving the Jean Grey School, and either strike out on their own or join with Scott's side. AND, Kitty is almost certainly going to leave the school to follow them; we've already seen the aftermath of BotA is that she's missing them, and an Uncanny cover shows her with the girls from Scott's side. So Bendis with have All-New and Uncanny to do his stories with the O5 and Team Scott, possibly together, while Aaron gets WatXM and the new Amazing series for Team Logan.
If this happens it'll be the worst thing to happen since Schism. I've been caring less and less about the main X-franchises over the years and that event only accelerated it.

If this happens it'll be the worst thing to happen since Schism. I've been caring less and less about the main X-franchises over the years and that event only accelerated it.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about it if my speculation happens to be true. On the other hand, it'd be more conducive to me dropping those books and concentrating only on Aaron's X-Stuff. The
O5 team is losing me and Young Jean is becoming really unlikeable.
Maybe I'm just projecting a bit and that's not the case.

Huh, so the Batman in Forever Evil is
just regular ass boring Bruce, lame.
Didn't Johns or somebody say
that wasn't the case? Guess they lied.

Also, someone posted pictures of their copy of Earth 2 #16 on another board and
there's a reason they got that guy from Injustice to replace Robinson.

tim1138

Green Arrow continues its run of excellence and Sorrentino continues to blow my mind with his art. I dug the debuts of
Clock King and Diggle.

Hinterkind does a nice job of introducing you to the world then dropping a big bundle of WTF on you. I'm in for a few more issues at least.

Spike Spiegel said:
Didn't Johns or somebody say
that wasn't the case? Guess they lied.

Sure seems that way, yeah. Batman appears
with Selina and what's left of Vic, just like the last time we saw him in Trinity War. Lame.

Mafro

Captain America: Living Legend #1 was really good. It's a shame that Adi Granov is only doing the first issue, as I think it'll lose a lot of its appeal without him.

I got Avengers: Endless Wartime this morning, the hardback is a lot thinner than I was expecting, but I'm looking forward to it as it's been a while since I've read any Warren Ellis Marvel stuff.

I was looking forward to Savage Wolverine #9 but I was a little bit disappointed. It's worth it for Jock's art but the story hasn't really grabbed me yet.

Owzers

I'm about to read Forever Evil #1 after skipping Trinity War, what info do i need to follow it?

First order of comic business is finishing the last 5 issues of Buffy Season 9 so it can head to ebay.

tim1138

I'm about to read Forever Evil #1 after skipping Trinity War, what info do i need to follow it?

First order of comic business is finishing the last 5 issues of Buffy Season 9 so it can head to ebay.

Relevant Trinity War info:
Pandora's box was a portal to Earth-3. The Outsider is Earth-3's Alfred. The Atom is from Earth-3, the cyborg part of Cyborg gains sentience and separated from Vic becoming the Grid. The Crime Syndicate are teleported to Earth Prime from Earth-3 and something happens to all the League members that takes them off the board.

Owzers

Relevant Trinity War info:
Pandora's box was a portal to Earth-3. The Outsider is Earth-3's Alfred. The Atom is from Earth-3, the cyborg part of Cyborg gains sentience and separated from Vic becoming the Grid. The Crime Syndicate are teleported to Earth Prime from Earth-3 and something happens to all the League members that takes them off the board.

Thanks, the
outsider being earth 3 alfred sounds decently interesting enough

VeeP

Geez Forever Evil 2 was.. disappointing. There was some good plot developments but
the Teen Titans got beat so easily, I expected them to put up more of a fight against just two members of the Crime Syndicate.

I really liked Forever Evil #2. I'm a huge Batman fan so I liked the spoilers Tim mentioned. You can already see all the classic villain downfalls happening. Teen Titans lol.

Atonement is in no way Antman. Its Black Widow or a longshot New Warriors book. By the way, Nova is actually pretty great. Cant get tell the difference betwen McGuiness and Medina. Wells will finish his legendary five issue run soon.

Kraven The Hunter book looks like it might be coming. He's gonna hunt homeless people isn't he?:/

Eldren

This isn't really a proper answer to your question (I couldn't give you one if I wanted because I only read trades) but single issues of Fatale contain material that doesn't get collected. I think each issue has an essay about certain pulp/noir characters and inspirations, things like that. Nice incentive to buy new issues, I guess, although Image's rapid-fire trade release schedule is more my kind of incentive.

-----

Anyway, speaking of trades, I got two in the post today. After hearing some of you singing its praises, I ordered Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine. It looks great! I only skimmed through but I like the dialogue that I read, the art is gorgeous, and it just looks like a whole lot of fun. A planet-sized Doom head, Mojo (?!), wrestling outfits, a guy with diamonds on his teeth, the works. Really fun stuff.

I also got volume 1 of East Of West. It's a lot thicker than I thought it'd be; the Amazon listing said 96 pages but it's definitely way more than that. 160ish, maybe? There's quite a few interstitial pages that have Hickman's thumbprint all over them (not literally, obviously. But you can recognise his design sensibilities a mile away). The whole book is just beautiful. The line work, the colours especially, even the texture of the pages. Really pleased with this one.

-----

I will be all over a Flash book by Layman, by the way. Give him a good art and lettering team and let them get creative.

In Battle of da Atom Why the hell did Marvel make both future X-Men teams as lame as possible? I could have come up with a cooler (and more plausable) cast in like 5 minutes

tim1138

Really dug the Witching Hour anthology, not a bad story in the book. The twist at the end of Kelly Sue DeConnick's was a nice touch, and Ales Kot's was appropriately haunting. All in all, good stuff.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man was interesting. I guess with Kindt writing and dark and abstract art, I felt like I was reading a DC book. Looks like it's going to be a crazy ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom