• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Sandfox

I brought up Marvel because they are the ones saying artists don't matter if the book come out on time.
That's not what they said.
A) Do marketing so people know your books exist
B) Marketing the books, so people know they exist
C) The books, you need to do marketing to sell them
D) Hey guess what? It's marketing again, you need to do it
E) It's a five-pronged plan and all five prongs are marketing
F) ALSO MARKETING

Also: explain the pre-order system to people, or, even fucking better, figure out a way to make that whole thing as easy for regular people as you can make it. Do a fucking app for that instead of putting AR everywhere like you did for a couple of years. The ideal would be making it disappear, but, if you can't, just, work on that.

Also also: make the books cheaper you dunces. Comics are already bad enough value as it is, we don't need $4.99 books with nothing in them.
This really doesn't have much to do with what I posted lol. It's my fault for how I worded my previous post though.

Owzers

No, Marvel just doesn't do much to develop talent anymore. There's no "Young Guns" initiative for artists like Quesada used to do about a decade ago - which brought about the rise of artists like Cheung, Coipel, Finch, Granov, and McNiven.

Their recruiting method these days seems to be waiting to see who gets hot over at DC. Aside from Dauterman on Thor, and the occassional Marquez/Pichelli attached to Bendis I can't think of anyone recently rising as a Marvel artist. They just pick off artists like Kuder, Rudy, Asrar, Sorrentino, etc and have them turn in subpar work.

I guess Samnee counts but he's been slowly building since 2010 that he seems closer to that old guard of Marvel artist than any new developments.
And sometimes the best artist turns out to be two people.

jurgen

And sometimes the best artist turns out to be two people.

Also relevant to the conversation:

CCbwAh1.jpg

C8IxIXL.jpg

dan2026

The days of legends like Walt Simonson writing and drawing every issue for years are over.

These modern artists got no stayin' power!
At least at Marvel.

Sandfox

thats not really it. Marvel's accelerated shipping schedule killed the likelihood of any artists sticking around on any specific title and developing a relationship with the fanbase. Look at Capullo's fanbase. Batman fans love him and how big was he before he jumped on Batman? He's a pull now. This event he's doing is gonna be huge.

Marvel Artists get moved all the time from title to title. How many titles can Marvel say have a visual identity? Imagine if writers only got a chance to write one off issues or maybe three in one go before jumping to another title and back. Sounds like it would make the book a narrative mess right? Well, comics is a visual medium and artists jumping back and forth all the time as editors will it so titles with no visual identity are also a narrative mess but we typically don't see it that way.
I feel like what you mentioned is part of the cause for what is in my post.
Also relevant to the conversation:

CCbwAh1.jpg

C8IxIXL.jpg

Gillen offers a pretty interesting perspective on this

Kieron Gillen‏Verified account @kierongillen Mar 28
More
Following the chat about ASTONISHING's announcement. I find myself thinking I'd love to see an X-men book done like GLOBAL FREQUENCY.

More
Replying to @kierongillen
Traditionally rotating artists downgrades the artist... but if you HYPER rotate the artist it actually turns them into the lead instrument.

More
The writer becomes a stage, while the artist becomes the soloist. The attraction is SEE XYZ ARTIST DO THE X-MEN, FULL ON FOR AN ISSUE.

More
(The interest for the writer is "how can I write for this specific talent this issue.")
And based on what Soule tweeted earlier today this seem be the type of thing he is going for.

They took Walta and Bellaire after Vision and put them on Occupy Avengers. Like... What..
Bellaire has been on Hawkeye, not Occupy Avengers.

jurgen

They took Walta and Bellaire after Vision and put them on Occupy Avengers. Like... What..

Their artist decisions haven't made sense in a long time. Putting Mike Del Mundo on what's obviously a placeholder Avengers book or Jonboy Meyers on Inhumans is bizarre.

Messi

I feel like what you mentioned is part of the cause for what is in my post.

Gillen offers a pretty interesting perspective on this

And based on what Soule tweeted earlier today this seem be the type of thing he is going for.

Bellaire has been on Hawkeye, not Occupy Avengers.

She's also on Occupy now.

- Read Dept. H #1-3 this evening. My first book by Kindt. I'm liking it, it has this very methodical style of writing. It's not flashy but it's focused and well thought out. He introduces the lead then the larger cast and then starts to send things to shit in the plot, all while very keenly drilling deeper into the lead character, filtering everything through her thoughts and past. It's maybe slightly too on the nose is telling me how the lead character is instead of just establishing it with actions, and it's my own opinion that most of the time we are poor at self assessing our characteristics so I'm not sure how to take it when the lead character tells me she has always been X and X thing that is clearly supposed to be a core trait, but for all I know he's accounted for that, and I definitely have a strong sense of how the lead character views herself and the people around her, which is a good foot forward for when it started to really digging into the murder mystery investigation that is the premise.

The art is totally gorgeous too. My partner looked at it and said it was hideous, as she always tells me when I read a Lemire drawn book in her vicinity, but I really like it.
The Kindts really show a pretty successful ability in the first three issues to establish a foreboding and claustrophobic feel to the underwater research laboratory then hop just as easily to large panning vistas of wonder and beauty, that feel grandiose and a little isolating in their scale. The colours are really great too, they compliment the art at all times, successfully aid the storytelling in moving back and forth between the present and past and even reflect the mood of a panel during, say, an argument. I'm not the best comic art analyser but basically it's a really cohesive thing with the writing style and actually elevates what might not work with the wrong art style.

Also a special shout out to the quality of the actual book! This is a gorgeous hardcover, it is super high quality and immediately becomes one of the nicest things on my shelf. It even has page numbers!

- Also, watched Nocturnal Animals tonight. What a fucked up movie. Very difficult to watch at times, but what it's getting at and when it all comes together at the end is worth it. Gyllenhaal, Amy Adams and the whole cast honestly are pretty great. I can't really say too much about it without spoiling things and I don't think it's a movie folks would universally love but I'd recommend looking up the blurb description and checking it out it if you enjoy just moody as shit thrillers, some mystery, and have the patience for movies that take their time and are really trying to say something.

dan2026

I felt the Deadpool movie did a good job of balancing the tragedy and the comedy of Deadpool.

Was it perfect. No. But it was a lot better than expected.
And to be fair not many writers can write Deadpool well.

Remender was one of the best.

Sandfox

BC sure knows how to twist an article to get clicks lol.

eh...I always felt bagley was generic and kind of bland, even back in the 90s. This art is completely forgettable and does nothing for me.

The story would have to be something pretty spectacular to get me past issue #1.
We'll see what David delivers.

jurgen

I felt the Deadpool movie did a good job of balancing the tragedy and the comedy of Deadpool.

Was it perfect. No. But it was a lot better than expected.
And to be fair not many writers can write Deadpool well.

Remender was one of the best.

Remender's Deadpool is still my favorite. I need to re-visit UXF again.

Waypool was too slapstick/Family Guy for my tastes.

Dave Gabriel in those retailer reports said:
”Hopefully, you guys will be happy to know that at the end of Secret Empire, we do not have any big crossover event scheduled. We haven't even talked about one for 18 months, at the very least. Those will be away for quite a while."

If true, this is the biggest news to come out of those retailer meetings with Marvel. After 18 months or so I may even be ready to buy a new event book.

Top Bottom