• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Wally West will return. We all know that. That's why no one's worried, or felt the need to mention it.

He might even retake his mantle as the main flash once we get some senior editors in DC who played with Wally West Flash toys as kids instead of Barry Allen.

akira28

He might even retake his mantle as the main flash once we get some senior editors in DC who played with Wally West Flash toys as kids instead of Barry Allen.

I barely think the toys matter, or should matter as much as the hard work of the people who came before. I mean, you don't have to keep everything like groundhog's day, but I respect continuity. If things are getting stale, don't blame the book, blame yourself.

(I think the toys were Barry even up until the late 80s...even though wally was in the books.)

kswiston

I barely think the toys matter, or should matter as much as the hard work of the people who came before. I mean, you don't have to keep everything like groundhog's day, but I respect continuity. If things are getting stale, don't blame the book, blame yourself.

I can't really think of any reason why Barry Allen was brought back other than the fact that a few higher ups at DC liked the character as children. Wally West was popular. Barry had been dead for 20 years. The Flash franchise was in a bit of a rut, but that was mainly due to the fact that they tried to pass the Flash Mantle to Bart Allen in a contrived manner.

At least bringing Hal back lead to a huge spike in popularity for the Green Lantern titles that has lasted 7-8 years now. Flash is struggling to stay in the top 50, despite having some of the best artwork in the industry.

]I can't really think of any reason why Barry Allen was brought back[/B] other than the fact that a few higher ups at DC liked the character as children. Wally West was popular. Barry had been dead for 20 years. The Flash franchise was in a bit of a rut, but that was mainly due to the fact that they tried to pass the Flash Mantle to Bart Allen in a contrived manner.

At least bringing Hal back lead to a huge spike in popularity for the Green Lantern titles that has lasted 7-8 years now. Flash is struggling to stay in the top 50, despite having some of the best artwork in the industry.

Geoff johns's silver age boner.

akira28

Flash is struggling to stay in the top 50, despite having some of the best artwork in the industry.

yeah I don't buy it anymore...Can't afford that foolishness. There are better books(Archer and Armstrong is starting to pop), even though I loved it when Barry, Wally, and Bart, and Jay were all there. And Max Mercury. The whole speed force crew. I loved the big families and legacy heroes and people not having to die...

I just reread Planetary. Why aren't more comics like this one :(

because then you'd be somewhere in the afterworld, and not here on our imperfect earth?

Stormwatch #19 (Starlin really isn't very good anymore but I'll give it a chance)
Thanos Rising #1
Light week for me too. May pick up a trade or something.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
"We respect a writers desire to tell the story they want to tell."

BOOM.

You would have given DC a slam dunk.

I've never seen such a trap response. They would be better off shutting down the studio Dave chappelle style if that's the answer

frye

Flash would be better if they straight up made it a romance/slice-of-life thing, I think. Gorilla War didn't last that many issues (well, it wasn't Rotworld anyway) but it draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged in a book where all the superhero-y stuff drags.

akira28

I've never seen such a trap response. They would be better off shutting down the studio Dave chappelle style if that's the answer

I hear plane tickets to Africa leads to the cure for soul sickness.

Flash would be better if they straight up made it a romance/slice-of-life thing, I think. Gorilla War didn't last that many issues (well, it wasn't Rotworld anyway) but it draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged in a book where all the superhero-y stuff drags.
Linda Park was pure sex pudding. That girl Bart was chatting with before the whole death and crossover madness thing, was even finer. Wally Flash was best when it was just him fighting dudes and saving his girlfriend and enjoying life. They didn't even need to bring in kids or really marriage. I don't know why they always do that. It worked for the Fantastic Four, but it's not going to work for Captain America.

Looking at ComicList's solicits for this coming Wednesday (http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week), it looks like I am in for a light week.

All New X-Men #10
Age of Ultron #4 (because I am a masochist I suppose)
Indestructable Hulk #6
Thanos Rising #1

That's it. It's been awhile since I had a week under 5 books.

Yeah, me too. And I'm thankful for it. My list looks like this:

Locke & Key: Omega #4
Glory #34
Age of Ultron #4
Ultimate Comics X-Men #25
Superior Spider-Man #7

And I may give The Last of Us: American Dreams from Dark Horse a whirl... I'm super-interested in the game, so I may grab this.

Dysun

List time!

Detective Comics 19
Green Arrow 19
Green Lantern 19

Age of Ultron 4
All New X-Men 10
Indestructible Hulk 6
Superior Spider-Man 7
Thanos Rising 1

Yes! Send like more and more people are reading it which is amazing. Such good comics.

I bought all four trades and the rest in back issues, so I'll be caught up by the end of the week.

I'm not a big fan of each trade only being 4-issues, but that's a minor complaint, and doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the book.

The influence of the Legion of Superheroes is also important to the development of Superman. They were created to embody his ideals and in return they helped make him who he was/is. It also embodies the "mythology" aspect. Hard to pin down any one specific run but I suppose "Superman and the Legion of Superheroes" by Geoff Johns is a good one. It has their 6? Issue run of Action Comics from 2010? I think.

Thanks for this, something that really had not occurred to me

Acid08

Banned
I bought all four trades and the rest in back issues, so I'll be caught up by the end of the week.

I'm not a big fan of each trade only being 4-issues, but that's a minor complaint, and doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the book.
Yeah, IDW's trades are definitely expensive for what you get.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! goin to Japan this week!!

I dont even like video games anymore, I'ma spend the flight reading comics!!

here's my playlist, courtesy of Comixolgy:

Fickman Fantastic Four vol. 2 & 3
Locke & Key - Head Games
Secret Six Degrees of Separation
Guardians of the Galaxy - War of Kings part 2
TMNT micro series vol. 2

nothing better than flying to a different country to get crackin on that comics backlog!!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Nova's pretty cool so far. Started reading FF as well..anyone else think Farmer kinda makes Bagley's work look like Davis'?

Marvel Reveals New INFINITY Details

Just hours after WonderCon 2013 wrapped up, non-attendee Marvel Comics revealed new details about one of their biggest events of the year - the cosmic-charged Infinity.

The August-debuting, six-issue series, which will be preceded by Marvel’s 2013 Free Comic Book Day preview special in May, will be written by Jonathan Hickman and illustrated by Jim Cheung, Jerome Opena, and Dustin Weaver. According to USA Today, Hickman has been planting seeds toward the event in his brief time on Avengers and New Avengers, both of which will serve as tie-in books to the main series.

Said Hickman: "There are huge plans for the Inhumans. They're such great characters, and this will be a pretty good example of why."

It looks like a lot of titles may be tying in with this.

Infinity sounds interesting and I like the artist lineup let's hope Marvel let's Hickman go all out for this event. I haven't liked a major Marvel event since WWH.

Tizoc

Am I the only one who finds the Inhumans to be completely uninteresting?

Get this book-
Inhumans_Vol_2_1.jpg

By Jae Lee and Paul Jenkins. Doesn't have a lot of action, but a good story.

Marvel just doesn't know how to use these characters most of the tim sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom