• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
I just got the X-Statix omnibus in the mail. It's so gorgeous in every way imaginable (except for the random Brotherhood #9 issue that doesn't make a damn lick of sense and is ugly).
Oooooh nice! Mine should be here next week :)

How large is it? That's my only worry, might be too big to read comfortably.

How large is it? That's my only worry, might be too big to read comfortably.

It's fucking huge (1200 pages: heavier than my cat). I worry about losing all circulation to my legs while reading it on my lap, but the size/price ratio compared to other omnibuses is amazing.

Everything about it is gorgeous too. The inside binding with character art, the Doop separator pages, the dust jacket (which was immediately removed).

Wool

Finally got Uncanny X-Men #3. I thought it was great. I've never heard of Magik before, is she a fairly new character?
I wish she would have killed Captain America

I'm also really tempted to start reading All New X-Men. Do you have to alternate between issues of the two, or could I get TPB's of All New and singles of Uncanny without much confusion?

kswiston

Finally got Uncanny X-Men #3. I thought it was great. I've never heard of Magik before, is she a fairly new character?
I wish she would have killed Captain America

I'm also really tempted to start reading All New X-Men. Do you have to alternate between issues of the two, or could I get TPB's of All New and singles of Uncanny without much confusion?

Magik is 30 years old as a character (older as Collosus' previously unpowered little sister), but she was dead for a long time between the 1990s and late 2000s. She was also aged, then de-aged, then aged again.

Aren't he and Synder planning to work ahead on that while they're on hiatus?

Yes, but artists can only draw so fast, so a few dozen Batman pages means a few dozen less American Vampire pages over that same time frame. However, I am sure Batman pays the bills a lot better than American Vampire.

Wool

Ohh, well alright. All of my X-Men knowledge is based on the cartoons and a few of the more recent movies, so I feel kind of lost even though I started on issue #1.

If I'm getting this straight, Uncanny is Cyclop's squad at the Xavier School, X-Men Legacy is Wolverine's squad at the Jean Grey School, and All New X-Men is the original team transported to the future? Where does X-Force and WATXM fit into all that?

Edit: I forgot about regular X-Men and I didn't realize that there was an Uncanny X-Force as well as Cable and X-Force.

Ohh, well alright. All of my X-Men knowledge is based on the cartoons and a few of the more recent movies, so I feel kind of lost even though I started on issue #1.

If I'm getting this straight, Uncanny is Cyclop's squad at the Xavier School, X-Men Legacy is Wolverine's squad at the Jean Grey School, and All New X-Men is the original team transported to the future? Where does X-Force and WATXM fit into all that?

All New X-Men primarily follows the Time Displaced Original 5 X-Men, brought to the present in the Jean Grey School

Wolverine and the X-Men is the book that follows Wolverine, Shadowcat, Icemen, and the rest of the staff along with their students (Kid Omega, Genesis, etc)

Uncanny X-Men is Cyclops with his Mutant Renegades who are recruiting new mutants for their own "Charles Xavier School" which is actually a repurposed Fort. Stryker (Where Weapon X happened)

kswiston

Edit: I forgot about regular X-Men and I didn't realize that there was an Uncanny X-Force as well as Cable and X-Force.

Everyone feels lost when they first start following the X-Men. Definitely one of the more convoluted continuities in comics. You'll get the hang of it though.

Cyclops was leading most of the worlds mutants on an island off the coast of San Francisco. Then him and Wolverine had a falling out, leading to several of the X-characters leaving to re-start a school for Young Mutants in the tradition of Charles Xavier (the Jean Grey School).

Last year Cyclops and a few other mutants were possessed by a cosmic power, which lead to them doing some bad stuff. Cyclops killing Charles Xavier near the end of the event.

All of the current Marvel books spin out of that event.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Image Comics website is awful.

Any recs? Currently read Manhattan Project, Prophet and Saga... would like to check out some other Image titles.

Hello comic gaf!

I'm currently writing a piece about Superman and the question of Identity. That is, how can the Man of Steel be used to answer the question "Who Am I?"
In this piece I will be approaching things like

- Who is the act, Superman or Clark?
- Evil is within everyone, no matter how "super" they may seem
- The desire to be like everyone else
- The desire to be different
- Superman as Mythology
- Superman's journey is really just that of an alien trying to be comfortable on Earth.

If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I would be especially interested if anybody knew of any particular books to look to for insights into these areas.

Thank you!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

NEO0MJ

If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I would be especially interested if anybody knew of any particular books to look to for insights into these areas.

Thank you!

Aside from the mention All Star Superman , there's also Superman: Birthright.

Still don't get the vocal Stephanie minority. Her book was like one of the lowest selling Batgirl runs; current Batgirl has been like 2x to 3x it's sales.

She is like the least interesting and leas iconic Batgirl.

I have more sympathy for Wally supporters, but even then, most of the Flashes blur together to me.
See what I did there?

I agree it's bullshit that they called off the QA, but I guess I also can't blame them. Damned if you do damned if you don't etc.

Hello comic gaf!

I'm currently writing a piece about Superman and the question of Identity. That is, how can the Man of Steel be used to answer the question "Who Am I?"
In this piece I will be approaching things like

- Who is the act, Superman or Clark?
- Evil is within everyone, no matter how "super" they may seem
- The desire to be like everyone else
- The desire to be different
- Superman as Mythology
- Superman's journey is really just that of an alien trying to be comfortable on Earth.

Thank you!

The influence of the Legion of Superheroes is also important to the development of Superman. They were created to embody his ideals and in return they helped make him who he was/is. It also embodies the "mythology" aspect. Hard to pin down any one specific run but I suppose "Superman and the Legion of Superheroes" by Geoff Johns is a good one. It has their 6? Issue run of Action Comics from 2010? I think.

sol_bad

Image Comics website is awful.

Any recs? Currently read Manhattan Project, Prophet and Saga... would like to check out some other Image titles.

Along with Saga I'm also enjoying Mind the Gap and Revival. I thought East of West was OK too, it gave me a Trigun feeling if you have ever read that.

Tizoc

Still don't get the vocal Stephanie minority. Her book was like one of the lowest selling Batgirl runs; current Batgirl has been like 2x to 3x it's sales.

Her book was fun from what I remember reading.

I have more sympathy for Wally supporters, but even then, most of the Flashes blur together to me.
See what I did there?

I agree it's bullshit that they called off the QA, but I guess I also can't blame them. Damned if you do damned if you don't etc.

I don't see why sales matter. It was a better book than current Batgirl though.
I wasn't expecting to like it, I wasn't even going to try it since a Smallville guy was writing it. Now she's my favorite Batgirl. I'm used to it though and I know I'm "wierd". Linda Danvers is my favorite Supergirl, I loved Ben Reilly Spider-man,I like She-Hulk comics, I like May Parker Spider-girl. X-men Evolution was the best X-men cartoon. Aquaman is my favorite Superfriend, Carnage and Venom suck. Legion is fun. X-factor is fun. Carlie Cooper is alright. I don't hate new 52 or anything, I just don't love much about it yet.

And if Wally blurs together with Barry I don't know what.

I don't know why I wrote all that but its more about Didio is an asshole about it. Thats why I don't read previews and interviews with these fuckwads anymore. I don't know why they're asking him about her, I wouldn't. I mean if he had his way Nightwing would have been dead with Bludhaven right and I'd never have gotten Dick and Damien..
Teen Titans hating motherfucker >(

woops

Stephanie Brown's series was incredible and tons of fun. I don't care at this point if she's not Batgirl, but they've completely destroyed every trace of her existence. Where the hell is Spoiler :(

Oh I understand that people will gravitate towards characters. I just don't understand Stephanie personally. I've gone back and read them from my friends collection. She just didn't seem that impressive *to me*. Nothing that would have made her stand out, to me, in her relatively short run. Barbara just always felt the most iconic and fun to me.

And on Wally, the speedsters tend to be portrayed very similarly.

akira28

DC books have arcs with writers who don't take everything so seriously. I remember a few gag arcs with Teen Titans and maybe Action comics, but I can't recall anything specific.

Of course there's Ambush Bug but that hardly counts. The Lantern stories with G'nort.

Dysun

This outrage for Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain makes me chuckle when 20+ years of Flash stories with Wally West far outweigh these sidekicks with 20 issue runs who got the biggest shaft of all.

akira28

This outrage for Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain makes me chuckle when 20+ years of Flash stories with Wally West far outweigh these sidekicks with 20 issue runs who got the biggest shaft of all.

Wally West will return. We all know that. That's why no one's worried, or felt the need to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom