• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
pcJbL.png

2kso40q.png

Welcome all, to another edition of Neogaf's Official Comics Thread! February was a pretty incredible month for comics, with lots of highs and lows, twists and surprises, and (as the kids say) "feels" to be had for everyone. Can this month live up to expectations as well, or perhaps even surpass them? Let's find out together.

So without wasting any more time, let's take a gander at some of the titles to look forward to in the month of March...

MR6n8.png

Tb4lbUL.jpg

YeOXlos.jpg

+Age of Ultron #1-3 by Brian Michael Bendis and Bryan Hitch (Mar. 6, Mar. 13, Mar. 27). After a lengthy delay, Marvel's Ultron-centered event begins here! Ultron, villainous creation of Dr. Henry Pym, has returned once more -- and this time, no one will stop his mission to end all life on Earth!
+Thor: God of Thunder #6 by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic (Mar. 13). The best series of Marvel NOW! begins a new story arc! At the end of time, the mysterious "Godbomb" threatens all of creation, and only the Norse god of thunder, Thor, the last free god, can stop it!
+Wolverine #1 by Paul Cornell and Alan Davis (Mar. 13). Writer Paul Cornell returns to Marvel, with an all-new series starring everyone's favorite six-clawed mutant! A mysterious encounter with a young boy will force Logan to make a decision that will follow him forever.
+X-Men Legacy #7-8 by Simon Spurrier and Tang Eng Huat (Mar. 13, Mar. 27). David Haller has refused Wolverine's offer to join the Jean Grey Institute! But his fascination with the young mutant known as Blindfold draws him back to Westchester. Do they have a future together, and how will that affect the future of mutantkind?
+X-Termination #1 by David Lapham, Marjorie Liu, Greg Pak and David Lopez (Mar. 20). The casts of three X-series united for a new mini event! His mission of vengeance over, the Nightcrawler of AoA seeks to return home -- even if it means destroying this dimension in the process. But darker forces are gathering, that will soon threaten all reality!
+Guardians of the Galaxy #1 by Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven (Mar. 27). Marvel's cosmic heroes have returned in a new series! But why has the Earth been declared "off limits" by the rest of the galactic community? What dark secret lies behind the reason for this new decree? The Guardians -- joined by new cast member Iron Man -- are determined to find out!

QV0uw.png

mEXDwcx.jpg

1G4d9fN.jpg

+Batman & Robin #18 by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason (Mar. 13). The one issue you cannot afford to miss! After the tragic events of last month's Batman Inc. #8, many questions remain unanswered. Namely, what will become of this series now that
Robin is gone
?
+Constantine #1 by Jeff Lemire, Ray Fawkes and Renato Guedes (Mar. 13). The star of Justice League Dark and Vertigo's longest running series, the recently canceled Hellblazer, spins off into his own New52 series! Something threatens the world, and only John Constantine knows how to stop it!
+Threshold #3 by Keith Giffen and Tom Raney (Mar. 13). Ex-Lantern Caul heads an assault against the monsters behind a conspiracy that threatens the galaxy, and he's not alone -- welcome new cast member Captain K'Rot to the battle! Plus, Larfleeze.
+Action Comics #18 by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales (Mar. 20). It's a finale so big, writer Grant Morrison needed one more issue to tell it! Superman's battle against the dimensional imp Vyndktvx draws to a close, as the Man of Steel battles across time, space, and reality to save everything!
+Justice League of America's Vibe #2 by Andrew Kreisberg and Pete Woods (Mar. 20). The story of DC's most surprising returning star continues! As an outing with his new Justice League of America teammates leads him into conflict with one of them, Vibe discovers the secret behind his amazing power!
+The Unwritten #47 by Mike Carey and Peter Gross (Mar. 27). Tom Taylor has crossed into the Underworld to bring Lizzie back from the dead, but his time in the river Lethe has left him without memory! And at an unfortunate moment, too, as he now comes face to face with Hades, lord of the Underworld!

9sam5.png

BcyI12K.jpg

x0ECXAq.jpg

+Sex #1 by Joe Casey and Piotr Kowalski (Mar. 6). Yes, Comic GAF, the rumors you've heard are true: soon, you'll be able to walk into your local comic store and buy SEX! For years, Simon Cooke has kept his sacred oath to protect Saturn City by night. But what happens when the mission is over, and all those repressed thoughts and desires come surging forth?
+The Manhattan Projects #10-11 by Jonathan Hickman, Ryan Brown and Nick Pitarra (Mar. 13, Mar. 27). The mind of Oppenheimer is a dangerous place to be, even if you're Oppenheimer himself! Can a man survive a war against himself? And what will the Science Lords do, now that they have complete dominion over the Earth? SCIENCE, of course!
+Saga #11 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Mar. 20). A family reunion amidst a global apocalypse! Hazel's parents and grandparents must join forces, if they're to escape their planet's destruction! Can they succeed? And what really happened to the Lying Cat?!?
+East of West #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta (Mar. 27). The creative team behind Marvel's acclaimed FF series reunite at Image, for a new sci-fi western ongoing! The Unites States of America is in ruins, and all hope lies with the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. So, why are the trying the kill the President of the United States?
+Glory #34 by Joe Keatinge and Ross Campbell (Mar. 27). Series finale! The saga of Glory concludes 100 years into the future, after our heroine fights in the ultimate battle! Who lives? Who dies? And who achieves their destiny?
+Hack/Slash #25 by Tim Seeley and Elena Casagrande (Mar. 27). Series finale! After nine years, creator Tim Seeley brings his slasher-hunting saga to a stunning and violent conclusion! Cassie Hack, demon hunter extraordinaire, now faces her former lover turned gruesome villain Samhain in a battle to the death -- and neither one may make it out alive.

9CWx4.png

Yj1X4Sq.jpg

045Ltr1.jpg

+Buddy Cops (One-Shot) by Nate Cosby and Evan Shaner (Mar. 13). Uranus is a disgraced space cop, busted back to patrolman. T.A.Z.E.R. is an android, built in the 1970s and stuck in that era. Together, they're the BUDDY COPS! And when they're not fighting each other, they're battling giant space apes, plant monsters, and causing massive amounts of property damage!
+Ghost #4 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Phil Noto (Mar. 13). It's black ties, ball gowns, and murder as Ghost crashes the party! She and her companions Vaughn and Tommy must find their way into the Mayor's annual charity gala, to stop an imposter before he fulfill his plans to plunge Chicago into eternal darkness!
+Sledgehammer 44 #1 by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi and Jason Latour (Mar. 13). The year is 1944, and Allied Forces are striking deep into the heart of enemy territory. As the war rages in France, a new American weapon is about to enter the fray -- a man in an iron suit! Can this amazing new marvel defeat the evil Nazis and their secret war machine?
+Mind MGMT #9 by Matt Kindt (Mar. 20). The war against the Mind continues! When former agent Henry Lyme learns that the notorious Mind Management organization is recruiting once more, he'll do anything to stop them. This time that means a trip to the Middle East, to locate and rescue a potential recruit before the Mind agents find him!
+The Black Beetle: No Way Out #3 by Francesco Francavilla (Mar. 27). The Black Beetle finds himself caught in a deadly trap orchestrated by the mysterious Labyrinto! But who is this new foe, and what is his connection to our masked hero? Could he be an old foe returned from the grave? To find the answers, Beetle will have to survive and escape!
+Mister X: Hard Candy (One-Shot) by Dean Motter (Mar. 27). Radiant City has become a city of nightmares. Amidst the chaos and confusion, the young heiress to a pharmaceutical giant is kidnapped, and the enigmatic Mister X is called upon to rescue her. In return, he's promised a fortune in the drug he needs to stay awake forever. Will taking the case be his undoing?

ymY7S.png

IKS0w9m.jpg

2711RcY.jpg

+Locke and Key: Omega #4 by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez (Mar. 13). Treachery is afoot at Lovecraft Academy! Kinsey Locke and the other students have fallen into the Drowning Cave, courtesy of a trap set by the dastardly Dodge! Can they find a way to escape before their predicament becomes fatal, or are they lost forever?
+Mars Attacks #8 by John Layman and John McCrea (Mar. 13). In a small town in New Mexico, events are about to unfold that could change the course of the war between man and Martian forever! But what's that have to do with a former mobster? And what's with that cover? You don't think... nah. Couldn't be.
+Judge Dredd Year One #1 by Matt Smith and Simon Coleby (Mar. 20). The mission to uphold the law begins here! Writer Matt Smith explores the early days of Judge Dredd, as he hits the streets of Mega City One for the first time and battles juvenile punks who need to be taught a lesson in the fine art of street justice.
+Popeye #11 by Roger Langridge and Vince Musacchia (Mar. 20). The continuing adventures of everyone's favorite bloat-armed spinach addict! The Segarfeld Follies are rolling into town, and their new start attraction is the Great Blutovski! But there's something fishy about this new performer, and Popeye had better an eye on him if he knows what's good for him -- and one on Olive Oyl too!
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #20 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman and Ben Bates (Mar. 20). The stunning conclusion to the "Krang War" is here! An alliance of Turtles and Neutrino resistance assaults the compound of General Krang and his army. Can the Fugitoid's secret weapon shift the balance of power in the Turtles' favor?
+My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #5 by Katie Cook and Amy Mebberson (Mar. 27). A brand new story arc, and perfect jumping on point! The peaceful days of Equestria and Ponyville are at an end, as Twilight Sparkle and her friends are confronted by a new enemy! Can the magic of friendship triumph over this new foe? And will Derpy ever be seen again?

4T1fu.png

AIAQD4K.jpg

1SHdVQg.jpg

+Helheim #1 by Cullen Bunn and Joalle Jones (Oni Press, Mar. 6). The author of The Sixth Gun is back with an all-new series! A small band of heroes is all that stands between a small Viking village and the army of monsters descending upon it. One of their number, a young hero named Rikard, will fall in battle... but his death is not the end!
+Mega Man #23 by Ian Flynn and Matt Herms (Archie Comics, Mar. 13). It's Mega Man's birthday, and the entire city has turned out to celebrate the Blue Bomber's special day! But what party is complete without a couple of party crashers, as the villainous Dr. Wily and the mysterious Break Man show up to ruin the occasion!
+Mark Waid's Green Hornet #1 by Mark Waid and Daniel Indro (Dynamite Entertainment, Mar. 20). In his role as publisher of a major metropolitan newspaper, Britt Reid uses his power to crusade against social injustice and pass judgement on others. But when his arrogance proves too great an innocent man will pay the price, and that spells disaster for Reid's alter ego the Green Hornet!
+Drew Hayes' Poison Elves #1 by Robb Horan and Osvaldo Pestana Montpeller (Ape Entertainment, Mar. 27). The saga continues! With the blessing of the Drew Hayes estate, and using materials and notes left behind by the late author, writer Rob Horan returns to the land of Poison Elves with a continuation of the original series.
+Rachel Rising #15 by Terry Moore (Abstract Studios, Mar. 27). Lilith, the first woman, is out to destroy the town of Manson, and with the help of two centuries-old witches she just may do it! Standing in the way of her goals is Rachel, the woman who cannot die!
+Unico GN by Osamu Tezuka (Digital Manga, Mar. 27). Available for the first time in America! Created by Japanese legend Osamu Tezuka, Unico tells the story of a young unicorn who inspires friendship and happiness in everyone he meets! Everyone, that is, except the jealous gods, who spirit him away to the ends of the earth!

UPUg2.png
BOmCm.png

What is "On the Bullhorn"?
"On the Bullhorn" is your opportunity to get on that soapbox that TToB vacated. Each month I'll leave this space empty, and it's your job to fill it, Comic-GAF, with whatever you want. Got a book you want to promote? A writer? An artist? Got something to get off your chest, a pet peeve or storytelling trope you can't keep silent about? Just want to rant for a bit? Then type it up, provide some pics, and send it to me via PM so I can post it in the OP.

Or don't, and this can stay blank. Up to you.

This month's "On the Bullhorn" segment is brought to you by fellow member 8bit, who's unfortunately running a bit behind. You'll find it somewhere below whenever he's finished, so check it out.

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.

2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.

3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.

4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.

5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)

[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.

7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Zero interest in Age of Ultron. Hoping Comic-gaf comes back with some feedback before I have to pick stuff up, that will be my decider.

I thought Guardians of the Galaxy#0.1 was decent. A bit cliched for an origin story, but you work with what space you have. I think the introduction of Iron Man will be cool, him and Star-Lord should play well off each other.

Thor God of Thunder is always an instant buy. I thought the last issue was the weakest the series has seen, but it was still good compared to most stuff out there.

I'm also hoping that Green Arrow #18 keeps up the momentum set up by #17. Glad to have a fresh start. DC has really been putting the Emerald Archer in the spotlight lately, so he needed to have a strong book being published.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
between Avengers, New Avengers, TMP and East of West i'm going to be reading something from Hickman every week.

thank you so much, comics gods.

Troll

Banned
I didn't understand Harvest, I know I know... welcome to like two years ago but can anyone help me out?

Quake1028

I just bought the main series of House of M from the sale. I was going to start Avengers vs. X-Men tonight, but this seems like a good precursor.

uh, its one of my favorite things ever
not meaning to overhype it or anything
Cool! It's one of the older runs I've started collecting that hasn't been traded up. Also picked up aquaman by David. I plan on finishing waid's flash run that isn't traded and maybe his cap run.

Just need to find the time to read it all!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
+Constantine #1 by Robert Venditti and Renato Guedes (Mar. 13). The star of Justice League Dark and Vertigo's longest running series, the recently canceled Hellblazer, spins off into his own New52 series! Something threatens the world, and only John Constantine knows how to stop it!
This is being written by Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes now.

Owzers

I'm souring on Angel and Faith, i don't think any character is being written especially well, but the the story is still semi-interesting right now.

I would be very surprised if Way touches on the how's and why's of Punisher showing up in Thunderbolts after the ending of War Zone.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really? DC's own site still lists Venditti as the author. I'll make the necessary changes.

Yeah, I saw that too. That's... an unfortunate error. DC announced the switch in mid January, about 6 weeks after announcing Venditti.

On the other hand, it's kind of hilarious that even DC can't keep up with their own creative shuffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom