• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Why are Spider-Man books more expensive than every other book. I assume its because he is spider man. But then why does DC not charge more for Batman.

Also should I read morning glories?

Why are Spider-Man books more expensive than every other book. I assume its because he is spider man. But then why does DC not charge more for Batman.

Do you mean individual issues? Both Superior Spider-Man and Batman have a cover price of $3.99.

If you mean digital, DC lowers all of their New 52 issues a dollar after a month of its release.

Messi

Do you mean individual issues? Both Superior Spider-Man and Batman have a cover price of $3.99.

If you mean digital, DC lowers all of their New 52 issues a dollar after a month of its release.

I meant the TP's they seem to be more expensive unless I am missing something.

Rich Johnston has been saying for a while that DC encouraged (or at least tacitly approved of) Sprouse's dropping out of the story in order to kill it without being smeared by the right as censors/homofascists/persecutors of god-loving Christians/etc., and that they have no actual intention of finding another artist. I suspect that he's correct (it can't take that long for a new artist to pencil it, given the format), not that that justifies DC's cowardice if true.

Deprive

Oh did not know the Court of Owl trade was coming with the mask :O

lol they stay having Wolverine start something. And the ending to What If:AvX was complete shit, what a waste of a mini.

Going to miss The Ultimates when the ulti uni ends. Evil Reed is great.

Tizoc you messed up the spoilers in that unsounded thread.

arkon

Just buy it brah. Vertigo needs this. Its about the Federal Bureau of Physics.its chill.

Anyone else reading The Mysterious Strangers?

Yep. First two issues were kind of fun. Not brilliant but enough to keep me coming back. I'll probably decide after the next arc whether I'm sticking with it.

Owzers

Morning Glories is definitely a book you should read in chunks if you choose to, but it's taken a long long time to only get bizarro instead of great.

frye

I meant the TP's they seem to be more expensive unless I am missing something.

Yeah, that's just Marvel's gouging. DC's trade department gets a lot of shit (and rightfully so a lot of the time) but at least they don't put out 5-issue 25 dollar hardcovers/18 dollar softcovers. I suspect it's to take into account the cheaper prices offered by online retailers, but that's just some spitballing.

I remember when WatXM vol. 1 came out. 4 issues, $19.99, HC only

miss me with all that, Marvel

- Batman: The Night of the Owls - 360 pages, $30
- Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 2 - 232 pages, $30
- Earth 2: The Gathering - 160 pages, $15
- Batgirl Vol. 2 - 192 pages, $25

Compare that to:

- Spider-Man: Dangerzone - 128 pages, $20
- Uncanny X-Men Vol.4 - 120 pages, $25
- Wolverine and the X-Men Vol. 4 - 128 pages, $20
- Secret Avengers Vol. 2 - 139 pages, $30

yeah whatever

tim1138

I remember when WatXM vol. 1 came out. 4 issues, $19.99, HC only

miss me with all that, Marvel

- Batman: The Night of the Owls - 360 pages, $30
- Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 2 - 232 pages, $30
- Earth 2: The Gathering - 160 pages, $15
- Batgirl Vol. 2 - 192 pages, $25

Compare that to:

- Spider-Man: Dangerzone - 128 pages, $20
- Uncanny X-Men Vol.4 - 120 pages, $25
- Wolverine and the X-Men Vol. 4 - 128 pages, $20
- Secret Avengers Vol. 2 - 139 pages, $30

yeah whatever

Hell, DC is putting the entire Rise of the Third Army crossover from the GL books into one HC. It's 400+ pages for $25.

Owzers

I don't buy dc trades because they take forever to come out

I don't buy marvel trades because they aren't good values, but i buy a lot of monthly issues because they include digital codes.

Everyone should just buy Image Comics, apart from monthlies, their trade program is timely and a great value, though their oversized hardcover rollout seems a little sporadic when not concerning Invincible/Walking Dead.

I don't buy dc trades because they take forever to come out

I don't buy marvel trades because they aren't good values, but i buy a lot of monthly issues because they include digital codes.

Everyone should just buy Image Comics, apart from monthlies, their trade program is timely and a great value, though their oversized hardcover rollout seems a little sporadic when not concerning Invincible/Walking Dead.

If I remember correctly, aren't the first volumes of Image TPBs $10? I got Walking Dead Vol. 1 and Saga Vol. 1, both for 10.

I remember thinking all TPBs were 10/15/20 strictly because of DC, Vertigo and Image.

Messi

I have only started to read comics recently. But I am finding that I like Image a lot more than Marvel and DC. I am also finding that I like Non superhero stuff more than hero stuff.

Nudull

Banned
What would be some good books to start with if I want to get more into Wonder Woman and Shazam? Also, is Blackest Night any good?

ReiGun

What would be some good books to start with if I want to get more into Wonder Woman and Shazam? Also, is Blackest Night any good?

My Wonder Woman "starter kit" for folks new to the character:

"Gods and Mortals" by George Perez
"Down to Earth" and "The Hiketeia" by Greg Rucka
"The Circle" by Gail Simone
"JLA: A League of One" by Christopher Moeller
"Blood" by Brian Azzarello

The bolded are the first stories in longer runs by those authors. So if you like those, be sure to seek out the rest. "The Hiketeia" and "League of One" are great standalone stories.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

For Wonder Woman you can either jump into George Perez' relaunch during the 80's or the New 52 relaunch (the current run) by Brian Azzarello/Cliff Chang. However, if you want great storylines regardless of the canon, I'd recommend you the Gail Simone's run along with "The Hiketeia" graphic novel by Greg Rucka.

For Shazam it's a little more tricky due the fact that it's been ages since he doesn't get an on-going series, being only featured in a few group titles or limited series. Currently the character has a solo run as a backup on the New 52 Justice League book, but the whole storyline will get it collected in it's own book. Some self-contained stories that you can enjoy in the mean time are "Superman/Shazam: First Thunder", and "Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil" by Jeff Smith, along with a "The Best of" Golden Age compilation

Quick question for fans of DC's Final Crisis:

Do you recommend either the Absolute Edition or the standard hard cover?

I have immediate access to both, at a difference of $30 give or take, for postage and handling. I know the Absolute Edition has additional pages, but I don't know to what significance. On that note, is the standard hard cover a deluxe (same size as DC's other deluxe editions, for example, Batman: The Black Glove) printing?

Mr.Swag

Banned
Promised myself I'd never buy a TPB again...
But I never read "The Dark Knight Returns"... And one thing led to another and I ended up ordering that and superman earth one v1 and 2 hardcover.

Damn.

rCIZZLE

I have only started to read comics recently. But I am finding that I like Image a lot more than Marvel and DC. I am also finding that I like Non superhero stuff more than hero stuff.

Ya Image has been on a roll these past few years. What books have you been reading?

McBryBry

I'm beginning to start owning and reading comics. I LOVE cosmic marvel, and I just bought the Nova: Annihilation (I believe it's Vol. 1) and Annihilation: Conquest Book 2 in hardcover. I know these are part of a very large series, and I wanna get all the hardcovers. But some of them are EXPENSIVE compared to these. Does anyone have any good ways to get these any cheaper?

That's a bit tough cause at least some of those HCs are out of print. Instocktrades is always a good place to check, though. They have great prices, but that's only if they have them.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

This is probably because you're a grownup and not emotionally retarded like the rest of us :p I find that adults usually only have patience to do the full superhero thing if they grew up with it.

Best thing about getting into comics now is that there are lots and lots of amazing stories. Have you done any of the classics yet like Sandman or Preacher? Lots of great stuff at Image now too like you say - Saga, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Chew etc.

+1

And I find with these preferences, more than half of my pull list tends to be mini series, which I connect to having these sorts of tastes (but I'm not sure how many mini series superhero lovers read). My books also tend to be an odd mix of mature readers titles and all-ages titles. The stuff rated T for teen tends to interest me the least.

I think if more people knew about all the awesome non-superhero comics being published today, comics would be more popular. Of course, it goes without saying that superhero comics can be great and enjoyed by adults as well, and many adults who think it's kids stuff are potential Bats and Supes fans waiting to happen.

Messi

Ya Image has been on a roll these past few years. What books have you been reading?

Saga and Chew, walking dead mostly

This is probably because you're a grownup and not emotionally retarded like the rest of us :p I find that adults usually only have patience to do the full superhero thing if they grew up with it.

Best thing about getting into comics now is that there are lots and lots of amazing stories. Have you done any of the classics yet like Sandman or Preacher? Lots of great stuff at Image now too like you say - Saga, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Chew etc.

I am reading Y the last man if that counts.

Blader

Thought Batman Inc. #13 was a pretty underwhelming finale; thematically powerful, but rushed in its execution and robbed of any real emotional impact, not dissimilar from Final Crisis.

On the other hand, it made me want to reread Morrison's entire run, so mission accomplished I guess.

Owzers

Quick question for fans of DC's Final Crisis:

Do you recommend either the Absolute Edition or the standard hard cover?

I have immediate access to both, at a difference of $30 give or take, for postage and handling. I know the Absolute Edition has additional pages, but I don't know to what significance. On that note, is the standard hard cover a deluxe (same size as DC's other deluxe editions, for example, Batman: The Black Glove) printing?

standard hc is not oversized, it's just a regular hardcover. I'd go for the Absolute for that reason since i really liked the book. the Absolute edition also includes the Morrison FC Batman issues682-683 along with those 7 new pages whereas the hardcover doesn't.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm beginning to start owning and reading comics. I LOVE cosmic marvel, and I just bought the Nova: Annihilation (I believe it's Vol. 1) and Annihilation: Conquest Book 2 in hardcover. I know these are part of a very large series, and I wanna get all the hardcovers. But some of them are EXPENSIVE compared to these. Does anyone have any good ways to get these any cheaper?

It's so good isn't it? Cosmic Marvel really re-lit a fire in me for comics that had been out for a long time.

Tizoc

GVTYStg.jpg

Some didn't take the Capcom announcements too well...

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Kinda crazy how the quantity of my pull list has completely flipped between DC and Image over the past year.

I think I read 1-2 DC books now and really enjoy the following Image books:

Saga
Prophet
Morning Glories
Fatale

Newer books that are good so far:

Jupiter's Legacy
Lazarus
East of West

From a pure collectors stand point. The only time an Image book will have real value thats up there with their super hero counterparts would be if the story become succesful in other mediums ex. Walking Dead. Am I right there? I read Image books like East of West and wonder if there will be a demand for this book years from now.

Necrovex

I'll be going rafting again in a few weeks, so I am stockpiling comics. I'll be in the car for 20 hours, round-trip.

Right now I have (and will have):

Chew hardcover collection
Batman (RIP, Black Glove)
Batman and Robin
Invincible Ultimate collection 2+3
Manhattan Project 1
Gotham Central 1-3
Locke and Key 3-5
Preacher 2-3
(Hopefully) Sandman 1

Do you peeps believe I'll be cover for my car ride, or should I add a little more?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So, in light of the Animan Omnibus dropping soon, anybody else read the Animal Man Annual this week? I know art gets the shaft in comics often in terms of praise but Travel Foreman MAKES the new Animal Man. The dude mixes beautiful and grotesque shapes and figures so well and really puts out the nice pseudo-horror vibe the comic had when it started.

Shame that Lemire just kinda stopped writing anything worth reading in the comic a long time ago and is still struggling to get some forward momentum on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom