• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

LosDaddie

Banned
Finally watched the premiere of Riverdale. I thought it was pretty shitty. Didn't feel like Twin Peaks at all outside of the out of place opening that seemed completely separate from the rest of the episode, the characters were pretty shit and Jughead was in maybe 2 minutes of it and he was still pretty bad.

Show felt like a carbon copy of The Secret Circle, the other CW show from a couple years ago, but without magic.

Owzers

Finally watched the premiere of Riverdale. I thought it was pretty shitty. Didn't feel like Twin Peaks at all outside of the out of place opening that seemed completely separate from the rest of the episode, the characters were pretty shit and Jughead was in maybe 2 minutes of it and he was still pretty bad.

Show felt like a carbon copy of The Secret Circle, the other CW show from a couple years ago, but without magic.

i thought about watching it for a second but decided it's a CW sexy drama so why bother?

my floppy dilemma continues, when i think about making my dcbs order i don't follow through. Six books! for $7 shipping! I dropped Black Panther but was still going to buy Gwenpool since it's my favorite book but with no digital code what's the point of buying the flop? Paper quality is trash, the issue will be on MU in six months, i don't need to stay current on it. I guess it would be strictly to support the book? Ugh floppies, how does Messi live with buying so many of you?

stn

Sooo, here's my reading list for the moment:

Battle Chasers - On issue 7/9, really enjoying it. Thoughts?
Green Arrow Rebirth - Haven't started. Thoughts?
Justice League Rebirth - Haven't started. Thoughts?

I used to think Snyder's Batman arcs usually had weak endings. But compared to the final reveal and cringy writing towards the end of Superheavy/Bloom, the previous arcs had perfect 10 landings. This series should have ended way sooner. Been a while since I read a comic that was this boring. (I usually drop them sooner but the art was really good here...)

tim1138

Green Arrow Rebirth is very good, Justice League not so much.

I used to think Snyder's Batman arcs usually had weak endings. But compared to the final reveal and cringy writing towards the end of Superheavy/Bloom, the previous arcs had perfect 10 landings. This series should have ended way sooner. Been a while since I read a comic that was this boring. (I usually drop them sooner but the art was really good here...)

You have much more patience than I do. I always get bored mid-arc and stop reading :x

kmfdmpig

Green Arrow is quite good.
Justice League is... not.

The new JLA series looks like it will be much better than the Justice League.

Green Arrow is quite good.
Justice League is... not.

The new JLA series looks like it will be much better than the Justice League.

I sure hope so. I have to say I'm not sold on it after reading most of the one shots. And Lobo could easily crash the whole thing all on his own.

Mark Russell's next comic for DC after the Flintstones ends is Snagglepuss. Huh.

http://www.cbr.com/new-dc-comic-reinvents-snagglepuss-as-gay-southern-gothic-playwright/
Yep. Posted it before. You can't beat me unless I'm asleep :p

Full interview:
RUSSELL: Other than that unforeseen cancellation, working with them has been really great — and I don’t know if you’ve heard, but I’m also writing a Snagglepuss comic for them.

HILOBROW: Oh. My. God. No, I had not.

RUSSELL: It’s Snagglepuss sort of reinvented as a gay Southern Gothic playwright?

HILOBROW: [Laughs] He is, he is!!

RUSSELL: Yeah, it was not much of a stretch at all. I envision him like a tragic Tennessee Williams figure; Huckleberry Hound is sort of a William Faulkner guy, they’re in New York in the 1950s, Marlon Brando shows up, Dorothy Parker, these socialites of New York from that era come and go. I’m looking forward to it; that’s what I’ll do after The Flintstones. [Russell’s contract in the gravel pit is for 12 issues.] I’ll go right from that into Snagglepuss.

HILOBROW: I’ve long admired the affirmative gayness of Snagglepuss.

RUSSELL: Yeah, it’s never discussed and it’s obviously ignored in the cartoons ’cuz they were made at a time when you couldn’t even acknowledge the existence of such a thing, but it’s still so obvious; so it’s natural to present it in a context where everybody knows, but it’s still closeted. And dealing with the cultural scene of the 1950s, especially on Broadway, where everybody’s gay, or is working with someone who’s gay, but nobody can talk about it — and what it’s like to have to try to create culture out of silence.

HILOBROW: Amazing. So this has been publicly announced?

RUSSELL: Yes, in fact, an eight-page sampler comes out in March in the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits Annual [laughs] — it’s about Snagglepuss being dragged in front of the House Committee on Un-American Activities! Then the series will begin in September or October I think.

Snagglepuss sounds fucking awesome so I'm cool with it being linked three times

Edit: somebody should do a reading club for Flintstones once it's finished. Hell I might do it

Ross61

So the next wave of Hanna-Barbera books are: The Jetsons by Connor and Palmiotti, Dastardly and Muttley by Ennis, Snagglepuss by Russell, and An announcement about Future Quest is coming soon. Probably gonna be some spinoffs.

Messi

i thought about watching it for a second but decided it's a CW sexy drama so why bother?

my floppy dilemma continues, when i think about making my dcbs order i don't follow through. Six books! for $7 shipping! I dropped Black Panther but was still going to buy Gwenpool since it's my favorite book but with no digital code what's the point of buying the flop? Paper quality is trash, the issue will be on MU in six months, i don't need to stay current on it. I guess it would be strictly to support the book? Ugh floppies, how does Messi live with buying so many of you?

Retract this slander. I am digital only except for Harley (which I buy regular, digital and variants) and saga which I buy digits and print.

Nudull

Banned
So the next wave of Hanna-Barbera books are: The Jetsons by Connor and Palmiotti, Dastardly and Muttley by Ennis, Snagglepuss by Russell, and An announcement about Future Quest is coming soon. Probably gonna be some spinoffs.

Wait...what.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just finished X-Men Deadly Genesis on my way to War of Kings. RIP Banshee. :( I mean I knew it was going to happen thanks to Siryn having to deal with his death in X-Factor but it still sucked seeing it happen. I also knew about the lost team on Krakoa thanks to looking up Darwin when he first appeared in X-Factor. Despite knowing all that it was still an entertaining read. That Brubaker guy is pretty solid.

Owzers

Retract this slander. I am digital only except for Harley (which I buy regular, digital and variants) and saga which I buy digits and print.

I need to get up to date on my comics-gaf continuity, but why would anyone buy 60 or so books a month digitally? i thought people only bought so many so they could throw them on the floor and roll around in them.

Messi

I need to get up to date on my comics-gaf continuity, but why would anyone buy 60 or so books a month digitally? i thought people only bought so many so they could throw them on the floor and roll around in them.

I like to mass download books and delete them just as fast

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hyped for Darth Maul

Big Trouble In Little China Escape From New York #5 (Of 6)
Invincible #132
Walking Dead #163

Batman #16
Green Arrow #16
Nightwing #14
Midnighter And Apollo #5 (Of 6)
Superman #16

Avengers 4
Bullseye #1
Karnak #6
Monsters Unleashed #2
Old Man Logan #17
Star Wars #28
Star Wars Darth Maul #1 (of 5)

Malyse

I read the synopsis on wiki and laughed my ass off.

Vibranium

Banned

I thought it was dumb fun.

I would much rather a Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot though.

I thought it was dumb fun.

I would much rather a Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot though.

I agree on Sabrina. I enjoyed Josie and the Pussycats and Veronica, other than that I just thought it was mostly boring. Nothing happens to set up any kind of intrigue in the first episode other than some random parents acting shady and the ending 'grab-you' moment that is meant to keep you coming back is something they revealed multiple times throughout the episode and wasn't even really a surprise

With how the PR focused so much on the Twin Peaks-ness of it and with how out of place the opening scene felt I wouldn't be surprised if that opening shot was filmed later and everything had to be placed around it. Stuff in the episode just seems so out of line and disjointed.

It's not the dumb teen drama that's really bothering me, it's how cookie cutter it felt while also feeling poorly pieced together with the Archie name slapped on. It's like they tried to make a regular but updated Archie, but CW said it needed something more to fit their changing demographic so they went back and tacked on the mystery and jumped at the idea of Twin Peaks with it popping up in the news again.

LProtag

Aw crap, I didn't realize that my order of East of West Vol 5 on instocktrades was a preorder.

Now all the trades of that and Deadly Class I ordered are stuck for two months. I asked to see if they would cancel that book from the order so it would ship. Anyone have any luck with that sort of thing from them? They seem to have a very strict no cancellation policy, but nowhere on the item page did it say it wasn't out yet and was a preorder.

Edit: Whoops, the release date was actually last year. I wonder if it's just out of stock, because it's what's holding up my order.

Messi

Aw crap, I didn't realize that my order of East of West Vol 5 on instocktrades was a preorder.

Now all the trades of that and Deadly Class I ordered are stuck for two months. I asked to see if they would cancel that book from the order so it would ship. Anyone have any luck with that sort of thing from them? They seem to have a very strict no cancellation policy, but nowhere on the item page did it say it wasn't out yet and was a preorder.

They are usually pretty good about that stuff.

I really liked Riverdale. Veronica is perfect.

Vibranium

Banned
I agree on Sabrina. I enjoyed Josie and the Pussycats and Veronica, other than that I just thought it was mostly boring. Nothing happens to set up any kind of intrigue in the first episode other than some random parents acting shady and the ending 'grab-you' moment that is meant to keep you coming back is something they revealed multiple times throughout the episode and wasn't even really a surprise

With how the PR focused so much on the Twin Peaks-ness of it and with how out of place the opening scene felt I wouldn't be surprised if that opening shot was filmed later and everything had to be placed around it. Stuff in the episode just seems so out of line and disjointed.

It's not the dumb teen drama that's really bothering me, it's how cookie cutter it felt while also feeling poorly pieced together with the Archie name slapped on. It's like they tried to make a regular but updated Archie, but CW said it needed something more to fit their changing demographic so they went back and tacked on the mystery and jumped at the idea of Twin Peaks with it popping up in the news again.

Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. The CW does like to adapt stuff for their audience and it can be frustrating. The mystery thing does seem pretty pointless so far. Veronica is excellent though. The writing team and her actress nailed it.

Well, there's always the newer modern Archie comics.

Top Bottom