• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

VanWinkle

The only downside is I've already read the entire run. When I buy books, I prefer to get something I haven't read before.

See I only read the first volume and then stopped and held out hope for an omnibus. So most of this material will be new to me. I adore Chiang's art, so it should be pretty sweet.

For the most part, though, I think Absolutes are one of the only major formats that is really only for people who love the story/run and want it in the best format possible. With its price, I don't think it's a great format to go in with something you don't know if you'll like enough. An omnibus, on the other hand, is oftentimes the most economical way to read a run, even if the upfront cost is high.

Messi

Thought about it but there were too many other books to buy. It's on my radar, though.

"Should I buy this $125 book"

"Too many other books"

giphy.gif

I did not know that, and I AM sad. Are the other artists good?

Not as good as him, no. It also gets annoying how often he bails past the mid point.

VanWinkle

Not as good as him, no. It also gets annoying how often he bails past the mid point.

I had a quick look at CMX and while it is frustrating that he doesn't draw of ton of the rim, I'm glad they at least picked artists with a somewhat similar style. Makes it so it's not a huge shift like it often can be with books that high several artists.

ElNarez

Banned
I know some people say Roman is the Carol Danvers of WWE, but, you know, I at least have some interest in what happens to Carol. Roman Reigns is fucking poison. He's the fucking Nick Spencer of WWE.

VanWinkle

Avengers by Busiek and Perez is pretty awesome, but man, it's too dense. It practically feels like I'm reading Crisis on Infinite Earths in terms of panels and text. Just wish it was a bit of a faster read.

Owzers

The Rumble itself was like a ten issue event book where the thing they hyped and you were interested in began and ended in issue 9 and for the entirety of issue 10 you're just reflecting on how bad it is and wondering if it will be worse.

Dalek

My daughter has been angry about the news and asked me tonight if they will still be allowed to make Ms. Marvel comics.

Oh god. Would they really stop Ms. Marvel books? No. They wouldn't.

No.

No?
Avengers by Busiek and Perez is pretty awesome, but man, it's too dense. It practically feels like I'm reading Crisis on Infinite Earths in terms of panels and text. Just wish it was a bit of a faster read.

Dense can be good. It helps to have a dense book every once in awhile in a time where comics just one to quickly burn through one plot line and move on to the next.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
isnt Kamala from Pakistan? That's not on Trump's list :3

Sigh :/

I would stop reading Marvel.

Gotta say between Iger, Perlmutter and CWII: The Oath I am more than halfway there already

I didn't read The Oath yet, but SteveCap started with an interesting political angle that they never followed up on, by basically saying how people could buy into a leader even with such hateful rhetoric. Due to them being disenfranchised, out of work, low income, lack of jobs, etc. They never followed up on that past the first issue, though, and that's a huge bummer. Instead it became all about Skull and his cube shenanigans with Steve being a villainous mastermind.

I didn't read The Oath yet, but SteveCap started with an interesting political angle that they never followed up on, by basically saying how people could buy into a leader even with such hateful rhetoric. Due to them being disenfranchised, out of work, low income, lack of jobs, etc. They never followed up on that past the first issue, though, and that's a huge bummer. Instead it became all about Skull and his cube shenanigans with Steve being a villainous mastermind.

Oh they followed up on it now. In a manner I found pretty outrageous tbh, all things considered

I think the whole Hydra-Cap/Secret Empire was clearly designed as counterprogramming to a Clinton administration and a country which seemed to have a lot of progressive momentum. A story about how you flirt with nationalism and even fascism when you leave large chunks of the population disenfranchised and angry for a long time

I don't think they counted on how ugly the campaign was going to get and I certainly don't think they thought there was any chance he would actually win

But win he did, turns out those people aren't disenfranchised so much after all and everything sucks. So now the whole thing feels like it's likely to go down as a huge miss and tin-eared as fuck

Sandfox

I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about politics, but I feel as though Trump and Cap are too different for the comparisons people are making to really work. Spencer is obviously borrowing from real life to make the story more realistic though. Both the Oath and Secret Empire are weird because there are all these hints going around about what the event will stand for and it's outcome.

Damn. I guess if GWW moves outside the US to keep her kids safe like she has been talking about on twitter, then maybe.
I don't think moving outside of the country would prevent her from working on comics if she wanted to and in that case Marvel would just replace her with another writer.

GAF, the spouse and I just finished up Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur Vol. 2 and loved it. We're looking for something of similar quality to jump into and I'm currently between either Ms. Marvel or The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

Any advice?

Malyse

GAF, the spouse and I just finished up Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur Vol. 2 and loved it. We're looking for something of similar quality to jump into and I'm currently between either Ms. Marvel or The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

Any advice?

Yes.

There's more Ms. Marvel than USG right now though.

mreddie

Damn. I guess if GWW moves outside the US to keep her kids safe like she has been talking about on twitter, then maybe.

There's overseas writers like Ewing, plus Kamala is Sana Amant's baby and she and GWW are basically doing the book, wouldn't stop them if one moves away from the states.

Top Bottom