• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

frye

comics

in 2017

steve-dillon-dead-preacher.jpg

rip boyz

Dillon and Phife were the two deaths this year that hurt the most for me, rip

VanWinkle

I'm just about finished with Batman & Robin Eternal.

I think Bluebird (Harper Row) is a great character and I don't care who knows it!

Li Kao

Nearly finished with Gotham by Midnight, what a shame this series was so short lived. I must read more Fawkes.

Roman

I just want to say that I strongly hope Unstoppable Wasp catches on. I find the concept really strong and haven't felt such a profound connection to a character since Stephanie Brown.

I just want to say that I strongly hope Unstoppable Wasp catches on. I find the concept really strong and haven't felt such a profound connection to a character since Stephanie Brown.

If it doesn't I'm sure Marvel will be more than happy to shove it down our throats ala Captain Marvel.

Roman

If it doesn't I'm sure Marvel will be more than happy to shove it down our throats ala Captain Marvel.

I kind of doubt that. This character is so different from the MCU Hope Pym version that they might as well be completely unrelated. If this sells poorly I don't think Marvel would give it a lot of chances.

The Captain Marvel situation is unprecedented in my eyes, I have a hard time remembering such a jarring disconnect between the tone of a book and fan reaction.

The Captain Marvel situation is unprecedented in my eyes, I have a hard time remembering such a jarring disconnect between the tone of a book and fan reaction.

It's like Marvel is trying so hard to show everyone that they're being progressive by pushing a not-naked female character, that they won't let anyone get in the way of that. Not even their audience.

kmfdmpig

Nice work with the OP. Also, it seems like the covers this month are mostly really good.

Happy New Years, everyone!

Nice work with the OP. Also, it seems like the covers this month are mostly really good.

We don't even pay attention to content anymore, we just pick the prettiest covers.

The first list of 2017!

Flintstones #7
Saga #41
Walking Dead #162
USAvengers #1
Giant Days #22

...Is a very small list.

Sandfox

I kind of doubt that. This character is so different from the MCU Hope Pym version that they might as well be completely unrelated. If this sells poorly I don't think Marvel would give it a lot of chances.

?
It's like Marvel is trying so hard to show everyone that they're being progressive by pushing a not-naked female character, that they won't let anyone get in the way of that. Not even their audience.
I would imagine it's because they expect interest in the character to grow as time moves on and are trying to find a creative team that works. So far the new run seems to be better than the others IMO, but if they don't like the results then I would personally try something different depending on what Marvel's plans for the entire line are in the next two years.

I would imagine it's because they expect interest in the character to grow as time moves on and are trying to find a creative team that works. So far the new run seems to be better than the others IMO, but if they don't like the results then I would personally try something different depending on what Marvel's plans for the entire line are in the next two years.

With a commitment to a Captain Marvel movie, they're pretty much locked-in to their character choice now. I don't expect that will change, even if they fail to find a way to make her more interesting. They'll just double-down and refuse to admit they were wrong.

Sandfox

With a commitment to a Captain Marvel movie, they're pretty much locked-in to their character choice now. I don't expect that will change, even if they fail to find a way to make her more interesting. They'll just double-down and refuse to admit they were wrong.
She's going to have a book, but it will be interesting to see the landscape of Marvel female led books in 2019.

I will do my best of 2016 writeup when these paint meds kick in
You sure you saw a doctor?
Not going to lie idw is basically transformers + random titles
TMNT + Hasbro comics + Locke and Key + everything else
Here it is
Why am I even on there? Y'all need to step your game up
I really haven't been reading super-hero comics for that long... It's only with Marvel Unlimited that I've been reading more of them. Before that, it was always just an arc here or a trade there. And none of those stand up well outside of continuity.

I will shill the fuck out of some X books if you need me to.

mreddie

happi noo year

I hope so but Marvel has been weird with what books they keep and what they can.

Mockingbird gets 8 issues, canned before 2nd trade, sells good
Moon Girl sells like crap but trades save it.
And greenlighting books no one needs like 3 GUNMENS.

Sandfox

happi noo year

I hope so but Marvel has been weird with what books they keep and what they can.

Mockingbird gets 8 issues, canned before 2nd trade, sells good
Moon Girl sells like crap but trades save it.
And greenlighting books no one needs like 3 GUNMENS.

Foolkiller is that book we didn't ask for, but needed.

With Mockingbird I feel they should've been given it a few more issues, but sales were not good. I think Angela should've gotten another trade as well. Moon Girl has trade sales, Scholastic, and audience going for it.

I don't have high expectations for Wasp in terms of sales, but I expect the character to have a role in the universe going forward.

mreddie

Foolkiller is that book we didn't ask for, but needed.

With Mockingbird I feel they should've been given it a few more issues, but sales were not good. I think Angela should've gotten another trade as well. Moon Girl has trade sales, Scholastic, and audience going for it.

I don't have high expectations for Wasp in terms of sales, but I expect the character to have a role in the universe going forward.

I hope so but with Runaways and C/D coming to MCU, the young heroes in the Marvelverse are getting crowded.

Also member Gravity?

Ross61

If you didn't think CW was going to fill out its slate of solid-performing shows with something on Friday, I got nothing for you.
Didn't just confirm one, said multiple are coming. Maybe HBO or Netflix? Or that Static Shock show on their Blue Ribbon service.

Happy new year comicgaf!

Glad to see everyone still loves great comics and that the flow is staying well medicated

I've only read a couple of comics since Christmas, I've been so busy.

Finished NYX. Weird series with a disappointing ending. Bummed as I was really getting attached to those characters. Last issue felt pretty rushed.

Did anything happen to this crew in the future? They show up in the Women of Marvel: X-23 one-shot and Kiden shows up in Messiah War, but beyond that is there anything?

TheFlow

Banned
I would pull a Black Lightning book in a heartbeat. the show sounds good too.

Comics I read this week. so far out of these new Image Books Reborn is my favorite. still gotta read the two heavy hitters though.

Omega Men #1-12
All-Star Batman #1-3
Hulk #1
Great Lake Avengers #3
Rocket Racoon #1
Black Panther #9
Spider-man #11
Thanos #2
Deadly Class #25
Snotgirl #5
Birthright #7
Birthright#8
Birthright #9
Birthright #10
Birthright# #11
Birthright #12
Birthright #13
Birthright #14
Birthright #15
Birthright #16
Birthright #17
Birthright #18
Birthright#19
Birthright #20
Seven to Eternity #3
Seven to Eternity #4
Reborn #1
Reborn #2
Reborn #3
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5
Weavers #1
Weavers #2
Weavers #3
Weavers #4
Weavers #5
Weavers #6

TheFlow

Banned
I felt like who ever put the titles in the list had no idea what they were doing half the time. Best comic book series has stuff like doom patrol which only has like 3 issues, while new comic book series has stuff like black Panther. Best art teams is full of bs. Good nominations but a lot of stuff was missed.

anyway this is what I voted from what they had

Best comic book series

Deadly class

Best New comic book series

Black Panther

Best limited of mini series

Sheriff of Babylon

Best comic book art team

Monstress

Best cover

Moon Knight #5

Best Writer

Tom King

Bes comic book moment

return of Wally West

Cary Nord is drawing a Deathstroke ongoing huh

edit: the three page Tom Scili back-ups of Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye are far and away the best thing DC is currently publishing.

Top Bottom