• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

batgirl27spoilpunch.jpg

Finished up Robin Vol. 3: Solo (which took me forever). Good, but it didn't grab me like the previous volumes did. Also just read through the entirety of Cassandra Cain as Batgirl Vol. 3: Point Blank. Pretty good, as this entire run has been, but I'm disappointed that the Bruce Wayne: Murderer? storyline wasn't concluded in this run as well. It seems to be a predominantly Cassandra focused storyline given the involvement of David Cain, so it was a bit jarring (to say the least) to see all this involvement and then skip ahead a few issues and the crime has been solved. Other than that, it was great.

I do hope this isn't the last trade of this run. I enjoy it far too much.

error4041

Is their a family more convuluted than Hank Pym's in comics. Someone could probably write a pretty lengthy run just using characters that are around because of Hank.

caliph95

Hank Pym's family web is famously large, but for convoluted, I have to give it to Team Summers-Grey

Three different children from different time lines, one of them being from a clone of Jean Gray sent to the future. A clone from one these children also from the future.

Technically connected to alien royalty due to long lost brother that was genetically aged up.

An adopted granddaughter that was supposed to be the messiah.

Also an alien stepmom married to a space pirate father of the summers
It's a weird family

Like, if Teen!Cyclops and Nadia got together I'm pretty sure 10 different Kang's would show up to put a stop to it before things get even more confusing.

caliph95

Pym technically appearently a son with Tigra. Only technically because the father is a Super-skrull with pym's dna.

Like, if Teen!Cyclops and Nadia got together I'm pretty sure 10 different Kang's would show up to put a stop to it before things get even more confusing.

Kang would be a hypocrite considering he has at least as convoluted history and is a Richards.

Trickster

Issues of SJW in marvel.
Purely for attention

So here's what happened. I was searching for some information on youtube about the upcoming X-men comics, and stumpled onto a video that started off perfectly fine going through the upcoming series, but then veered off into anti SJW sentiments once he started talking about the Iceman series. I felt this came kinda out of nowhere since it went from from a perfectly fine video, to the narrator litterally groaning about the comic tackling the newfound gay nature of Iceman.

So I did some googling, and apparently it's not hard to find this kind of talk in relation to comics, especially Marvel. So I'm sitting here wondering if there's a widespread feeling that publications like Marvel are kinda jamming "SJW" issues into their new comics? Or is this more just the case of it being comic reader crossover of the gamergate crowd?

I mean personally, as someone who is reading through marvels stuff chronologically, and still only gotten to around year 2009/2010 (started reading stuff just post civil war), I can't wait until I catch up to the newer series, they seem great for the most part, in fact one of the things I really like is that they've changed out a lot of the major characters and have less white dudes, and more everything else.

Not too big on Incognito, probably my least favourite thing to come out of their partnership, but I'd recommend the whole run of Criminal. Really fantastic stuff. They all stand alone to Coward but exist in the same world, with certain characters cameo-ing and so on. The volume that is pretty much Archie haha

ElNarez

Banned
Issues of SJW in marvel.
Purely for attention

You're talking about people who think basic human empathy is some marxist plot to destroy western civilization. To them Superman saying "being nice is good and racism is bad" is shoving an agenda down their throat. But comics have been dealing with social issues for a long long time, it's just that now there's communities built around feeling threatened by the mere existence of fictional gay people making noise.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Two Annotations in, it seems like reading Final Crisis is absolutly needed to understand Multiversity? Seems like most call backs are to this?

Edit: I love how this is getting a Deluxe Edition as it seems:

9781401271084_f0069.jpg

Very cool upcoming Collections again, I am just missing a couple of more modern tales.

Malyse

DC Novelizations are pretty hype. It shows just how fantastic DC's storytelling has been over the years. What's the most interesting is how the DC stories seem to be older stories (No Man's Land, Crisis on Infinite Earths) while Marvel novels seem more recent (Civil War, Ms. Marvel).

Comic to prose
to GraphicAudio
is such an interesting transition.

I'm surprised they didn't go with GanGan.

I'm reading the new Spider-Gwen and they refer to the main Marvel U in this issue as Earth-616. Interesting...has this happened since Secret Wars? I can't remember...I thought they were going to try to avoid that label

Three different children from different time lines, one of them being from a clone of Jean Gray sent to the future. A clone from one these children also from the future.

Technically connected to alien royalty due to long lost brother that was genetically aged up.

An adopted granddaughter that was supposed to be the messiah.

Also an alien stepmom married to a space pirate father of the summers
It's a weird family

You forgot Havok has a (human!) child with Wasp that Kang stole and is lost in the time stream somewhere.

Probably permanently gone, but immortus gave them the date and time to "re-conceive" her.

I'm reading the new Spider-Gwen and they refer to the main Marvel U in this issue as Earth-616. Interesting...has this happened since Secret Wars? I can't remember...I thought they were going to try to avoid that label

No they don't. They refer to it as "the universe formerly known as 616"

dan2026

No Man's Land, the novel: better than No Man's Land, the comics

Best novelization of a comic book story.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I thought the No Man's Land story arc in comics was very good indeed.

The book is written by legendary badass Greg Rucka though, so it was always going to be awesome.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I thought the No Man's Land story arc in comics was very good indeed.

The book is written by legendary badass Greg Rucka though, so it was always going to be awesome.

Well, let me rephrase: the best issues/arcs of No Man's Land are tops, no question, but overall, as a cohesive story with a singular vision, the novel is better. NML the comic story is composed of several sprawling arcs that were published over the course of an entire year and involve a ton of different creators. Not all of them are good, whereas the novelization is good through and through. The entire concept benefits greatly from that one creative voice and the tighter storytelling of the format.

Issues of SJW in marvel.
Purely for attention

So here's what happened. I was searching for some information on youtube about the upcoming X-men comics, and stumpled onto a video that started off perfectly fine going through the upcoming series, but then veered off into anti SJW sentiments once he started talking about the Iceman series. I felt this came kinda out of nowhere since it went from from a perfectly fine video, to the narrator litterally groaning about the comic tackling the newfound gay nature of Iceman.

So I did some googling, and apparently it's not hard to find this kind of talk in relation to comics, especially Marvel. So I'm sitting here wondering if there's a widespread feeling that publications like Marvel are kinda jamming "SJW" issues into their new comics? Or is this more just the case of it being comic reader crossover of the gamergate crowd?

I mean personally, as someone who is reading through marvels stuff chronologically, and still only gotten to around year 2009/2010 (started reading stuff just post civil war), I can't wait until I catch up to the newer series, they seem great for the most part, in fact one of the things I really like is that they've changed out a lot of the major characters and have less white dudes, and more everything else.
It's that super toxic geek culture. Comics have a very strong fanbase comprised of old white dudes who want everything to be the same, but different. But not too different, so it's still the same.

Gay Iceman is too different. I mean, he's pretty much the same, but just likes dudes now. Which is too different. I mean, these are people who hate a black Captain America tackling racial politics, a female Thor being a badass, and a middle school aged black girl being the smartest on the planet.
You're talking about people who think basic human empathy is some marxist plot to destroy western civilization. To them Superman saying "being nice is good and racism is bad" is shoving an agenda down their throat. But comics have been dealing with social issues for a long long time, it's just that now there's communities built around feeling threatened by the mere existence of fictional gay people making noise.
Also this

Top Bottom