• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

kmfdmpig

I don't save pennies. I save glorious 500 yen coins. They're gold—my favorite color.

I bought a PS4 pro with my last collection of ¥500 coins.

Which part of Japan do you live in, Aizo? I ask because I lived there for a few years (Saitama and Tokyo) and my parents in law live there (Chiba for a long time, but now Tokyo).

How easy is it to find American comics? I remember there being a few shops in Tokyo that I was aware of, but it seemed like they were both rare and expensive. Or are you mostly digital?

Just finished reading Valerian and The City of Shifting Waters. Pretty fun writing but the art was gorgeous! Will have to skip volume 2 for now but got to pick up the next 6 volumes after that from the library.

5FkZNtk.jpg

Sandfox

Marvel.com: Can you walk us through what MARVEL LEGACY #1 is all about?

Jason Aaron: Well, it’s a huge 50-page one-shot that’s sort of like a primer, as the Legacy initiative takes off, for everything that’s going on in the Marvel Universe. It touches base with almost all of the major characters in the Universe—including the different versions we have of some of our main characters. So, you know, we see both versions of Thor, we meet up with Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson…it’s a roadmap for all the big stories coming up in all the major books. And it also sets up a couple of new stories that’ll play out in very big ways in the months to come; they’ll affect a lot of our books coming up, including a book I’ll be working on.

We introduce some new characters, too! This book introduces a group of prehistoric Avengers from 1 million B.C. They’re a big part of this once they’re introduced. Then, when their story gets up and running, we’ll pick them up down the road in the pages of something else…

https://news.marvel.com/comics/73315/marvel-legacy-starts/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I could buy the Byrne FF Omnníbus vol. 1 for 40€ and I am not sure if I should take it.
Next price is 225€.... But I am not entirely conviced.

rgoulart

Hey dudes, I'm not into Marvel comics but I watch every MCU movie at the theater and I enjoy other things Marvel like the 90's cartoons (X-Men and Spider-man) and video games. Also I read some famous stories like: Civil War 1, Kraven's Last Hunt, Daredevil Born Again, and a lot of Spider-man comics in the 90's.

With that said I'd like to know which Marvel comics would be a good jumping point for me now. I was thinking maybe Jonathan Hickman's Avengers? Or Brian Bendis All-New X-Men?

Or is there something newer that I should be looking into? If there is I would prefer but any suggestion is appreciated. I'm looking for the best Marvel comics out there.

Thanks.

PS. I'm huge DC fan, I read a lot of the classics, specially Batman stories, and almost everything I wanted of the New 52. Unfortunately I'm a little behind on Rebirth but I already know what to look for, I'm just too lost when it comes to Marvel.

Aizo

Banned
Which part of Japan do you live in, Aizo? I ask because I lived there for a few years (Saitama and Tokyo) and my parents in law live there (Chiba for a long time, but now Tokyo).

How easy is it to find American comics? I remember there being a few shops in Tokyo that I was aware of, but it seemed like they were both rare and expensive. Or are you mostly digital?
I used to live in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi-ken and Izumo, Shimane-ken, but I'm back in Tokyo now. Just moved two months ago from the opposite side of Tokyo to this side. I became a digital man years ago out of necessity. If not for CMX, I probably never would've really gotten back into comics. It's often times literally twice the price to buy comics here. There are a couple comic shops, but they're all tiny, and only one really gets that many weekly issues. Most just have trades (in Japanese, though). I only buy things like Fantagraphics graphic novels physically (and manga, obviously), but I do that through Amazon. I still take a hit when I buy those GNs, but it's worth it. I wish I could get stuff at the library like I did for so many years back home. I'd save so much money. My only option is to buy things I'm interested in.

To be a bit personal, actually, I may have to move back home soon. I don't have a job right now, and I'm not sure I can make this work. At least I could go to the library! Haha

Hey dudes, I'm not into Marvel comics but I watch every MCU movie at the theater and I enjoy other things Marvel like the 90's cartoons (X-Men and Spider-man) and video games. Also I read some famous stories like: Civil War 1, Kraven's Last Hunt, Daredevil Born Again, and a lot of Spider-man comics in the 90's.

With that said I'd like to know which Marvel comics would be a good jumping point for me now. I was thinking maybe Jonathan Hickman's Avengers? Or Brian Bendis All-New X-Men?

Or is there something newer that I should be looking into? If there is I would prefer but any suggestion is appreciated. I'm looking for the best Marvel comics out there.

Thanks.

PS. I'm huge DC fan, I read a lot of the classics, specially Batman stories, and almost everything I wanted of the New 52. Unfortunately I'm a little behind on Rebirth but I already know what to look for, I'm just too lost when it comes to Marvel.

The first thing I read was Ms. Marvel #1. Be like me.

kmfdmpig

I used to live in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi-ken and Izumo, Shimane-ken, but I'm back in Tokyo now. Just moved two months ago from the opposite side of Tokyo to this side. I became a digital man years ago out of necessity. If not for CMX, I probably never would've really gotten back into comics. It's often times literally twice the price to buy comics here. There are a couple comic shops, but they're all tiny, and only one really gets that many weekly issues. Most just have trades (in Japanese, though). I only buy things like Fantagraphics graphic novels physically (and manga, obviously), but I do that through Amazon. I still take a hit when I buy those GNs, but it's worth it. I wish I could get stuff at the library like I did for so many years back home. I'd save so much money. My only option is to buy things I'm interested in.

To be a bit personal, actually, I may have to move back home soon. I don't have a job right now, and I'm not sure I can make this work. At least I could go to the library! Haha

I hope it works out for you. Yeah digital definitely makes sense. Even in Tokyo it's hard to find reasonably priced comics. It's such a niche thing there (or at least it seemed that way to me). I lived in Japan about 15 years ago and miss it quite a bit, particularly the food.

Messi

Thanks.

Gwenpool is the best book marvel currently publishes. Its nothing like Deadpool btw dont let the name fool you.

Other than that Thor by Jason Aaron starting with God of Thunder and go from there.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Thanks.

For X-Men I'd avoid Bendis' run. It's not his best work. Start further back. Morrison's New X-Men run or Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run. The New X-Men (Academy X) run that came after Morrison's was pretty cool too. It focused on the younger mutants still in school. Then there is my personal favorite X-run Maddrox/X-Factor Investigations.

Those are all from the same basic era. If you want something a little more recent go with Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men run.

Gwenpool is the best book marvel currently publishes. Its nothing like Deadpool btw dont let the name fool you

Yes Gwenpool is the bees knees!

Thanks.

If you want to start reading current stuff, X-Men Blue is pretty good. It's the only thing I can think of off of the top of my head. Bendis's All-New and Uncanny X-Men runs are pretty good as well

Aizo

Banned
I hope it works out for you. Yeah digital definitely makes sense. Even in Tokyo it's hard to find reasonably priced comics. It's such a niche thing there (or at least it seemed that way to me). I lived in Japan about 15 years ago and miss it quite a bit, particularly the food.
What food do you miss? I'm into food with very strong flavor, and the Japanese pallete is historically concerned with "subtle" (bland!!) food for a lot of the time. There's not much I ever crave. I think I've eaten too much of it. I miss Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese, and cheaper stuff back home. Tons of amazing Indian here though.
See you in the next thread.

Top Bottom