• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

MG310

Got this in today :D

quinonesharley.jpg

Pose works well with the Ivy I got last year.

MG310

That is really awesome. He didn't do it at a con? was there a con this week?

I remember that Ivy. Its great. Loved that costume in his black and white story.

It was from Special Edition NYC...didn't quite get to finish it at the show.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
So I saw that all of the Farscape comics are on sale. I am sure they are not great or anything, but is there any enjoyment out of them possible if you were a fan of the show?

Boogiepop

That is the most respectful 'sorry but no' I have ever seen. Amazing :p

Take that LaunchboxMcG

It only took a few months to read most of it. Once you get into it though, you'll wish there was more of it. :/

D:

Do we need to revisit Silk today? Because I can be mean too.

I mean, it's more of a "not right immediately because I bought a crapton of comics lately, and I already plan to grab the rest of the Hellboy stuff like next month, plus catching up with Usagi Yojimbo, so maybe in a few months down the line I'll take a more thorough look at it". So like, I probably won't be tagging it into my next IST order like I did with Sunstone a bit back, but I'll keep it in mind.

And besides, I'm someone who owns all of One Piece, all of Detective Conan, and even all of goddamn Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I can definitely invest heavily in something if I feel the need.

The johns issues on sale are good but I can't recommend because it's so out of context. That arc is near the end of his run

I just noticed how few they are. I would rather pick up the paperback omnis when they release.

Any recommendations from this Fantagraphics sale?

I just noticed how few they are. I would rather pick up the paperback omnis when they release.

Love & rockets is the series that is most notable but I haven't read it yet. You'd need birdie to give you the lowdown. Also the izombie Omni list price is $75 so the cheapest that will go for on IST is $37

Love & rockets is the series that is most notable out but I haven't read it yet. You'd need birdie to give you the lowdown. Also the izombie Omni list price is $75 so the cheapest that will go for on IST is $37

Hmm I'll see what Birdie says and look into it myself.

The iZombie discussion is more over whether I want the omni in my collection or not. $28 is a dope price. HMMM

EDIT: Fantagraphics is some real hardcore indie-looking shit. It all looks so weird, in the best way.

Yousefb

Hey man I don't know why people keep ignoring you but I like that Batman head a lot. Keep working on the scale of your art and I can see you being pretty good!
Haha thanks man! I didn't think people were ignoring, my post was pretty much at the end of the page and as we know discussions can move pretty pretty fast in this thread lol. Appreciate it though :)

Batman's frown needs to be more severe. He almost looks blissful and happy! ;)
But this sort of stuff is absolutely welcome. We have a few resident artists as thread frequenters.
Yeah I see what you mean, he actually seems more perplexed than angry lol maybe it's time for a happy Batman dammit!

Looks great to me.
Thanks!

huge awesome wall of text
Really appreciate it Ed! Thanks for linKing that thread, already subscribed and definitely will be making good use of it. To answer your question, at the moment I'm just doing it for fun and to practice drawing my favorite characters but eventually I would like to be able to draw/create my own comics. It's interesting that you brought up different utensils/materials. I actually bought a sketchpad, different pencils, and pens for inks but I figured I should start practicing with the generic number 2 on a notepad just to get used to the motions. But if you suggest that I start experimenting from now then I'll give it a shot! Also you're totally right about the Dr Doom drawing. I focused a lot on his face but then half-assed the hood. If I wanna do this right then I gotta give the same amount of attention to all the details. Lastly, I was using a reference image for both drawings, I'm still not confident enough to draw from memory but I'll try :)
Really appreciate the feedback man, you may get PM's from me down the road as I practice more :p

I can't really give you too detailed of critiques, as I'm not an artist myself, but I think this is pretty damn good work for a beginner... keep it up! The only way to get better is to put the time in and just keep drawing, drawing, drawing. Also, make sure to check out some online guides on things like perspective, etc. The batman sketch especially show promise but you can see you get a little off in terms of where each part of the face should end up exactly on the head itself, so maybe look into drawing the head outline and lines on the face to get everything lined up... like this
Thank you! That's definitely the plan, just gonna keep practicing whenever I get the chance. I totally agree with you about the prespective. I should try something similar to that picture you posted and draw one figure from multiple angles.

VanWinkle

As some of you know, I'm just now getting into comics/graphic novels. I'm steadily building up my collection, but one thing I am just blown away by in my research/purchasing is the sheer amount of great Batman graphic novels. I've been watching a bunch of graphic novel collections on Youtube and with everybody, Batman overshadows every other character easily in quantity in these collections. That mirrors my own small collection, too.

Here's what I have so far:

The Black Mirror
Earth One
Year One
Court of Owls (going to pick up the second volume ASAP since I absolutely loved this)
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman R.I.P.
The Long Halloween

And there's still tons I want to get and have on my Amazon wish list so I can remember.

Really crazy.

Yousefb

As some of you know, I'm just now getting into comics/graphic novels. I'm steadily building up my collection, but one thing I am just blown away by in my research/purchasing is the sheer amount of great Batman graphic novels. I've been watching a bunch of graphic novel collections on Youtube and with everybody, Batman overshadows every other character easily in quantity in these collections. That mirrors my own small collection, too.

Here's what I have so far:

The Black Mirror
Earth One
Year One
Court of Owls (going to pick up the second volume ASAP since I absolutely loved this)
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman R.I.P.
The Long Halloween

And there's still tons I want to get and have on my Amazon wish list so I can remember.

Really crazy.
Dude I started not so long ago either, and now I'm officially an addict. The list of trades and ongoing series that I get just keeps getting bigger and bigger lol

VanWinkle

Dude I started not so long ago either, and now I'm officially an addict. The list of trades and ongoing series that I get just keeps getting bigger and bigger lol

Same here. I started maybe a month or two ago, and I have about 20 trades and hardcovers so far. I have over 30 in my Amazon wish list to buy as well, and the next volumes in all of the New 52 vol. 1's I have. I'm really getting addicted and it's driving me crazy.

Yousefb

Same here. I started maybe a month or two ago, and I have about 20 trades and hardcovers so far. I have over 30 in my Amazon wish list to buy as well, and the next volumes in all of the New 52 vol. 1's I have. I'm really getting addicted and it's driving me crazy.
Haha yeah I hear you. There's just so much out there to choose from its nuts. At least you're still only collecting trades/HC's. Once you start subscribing to stuff, it's game over.

Vibranium

Banned
Man, Perlmutter's going to be pissed about Feige and take it out on Marvel editorial, isn't he? The comics division needs a new CEO badly.

Yousefb

Good news everyone! Gotham Central is back on sale on CMX! I also recommend checking out the N52 Green Arrow issues on sale and Green Arrow Year One.

https://www.comixology.com/DC-on-TV-Sale/page/7917?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA
Oh sweet thanks for the heads up! Is the Nu52 Arrow the whole Jeff Lemiere run? I've heard great things about it, plus I'm also curious to see what his writing is like in anticipation of Old Man Logan.

Year One is a big influence on the Arrow tv show right?

Edit: the fact that this is a "DC on TV Sale" makes me sad that GOTHAM is not just based on Gotham Central.

VanWinkle

Haha yeah I hear you. There's just so much out there to choose from its nuts. At least you're still only collecting trades/HC's. Once you start subscribing to stuff, it's game over.

I think I'm going to try to stick to graphic novels only instead of single issue comic books. Who knows what will happen down the line, but that's the current plan.

On the plus side, I've tried a few times to get into digital comics and I just can't stand it, so that will at least take one source of addiction out of the equation, lol.

Oh sweet thanks for the heads up! Is the Nu52 Arrow the whole Jeff Lemiere run? I've heard great things about it, plus I'm also curious to see what his writing is like in anticipation of Old Man Logan.

Year One was AWESOME. The first graphic novel I bought, a couple of months ago. Really well written with great artwork and design. It does remind me quite a bit of the tv show, though I don't know how much it directly influenced it.

Yousefb

I think I'm going to [try] to stick to graphic novels only instead of single issue comic books. Who knows what will happen down the line, but that's the current plan.

On the plus side, I've tried a few times to get into digital comics and I just can't stand it, so that will at least take one source of addiction out of the equation, lol.
Oh man, comixology is the death of me haha

Owzers

:p republican poll, more republicans believe Cruz was born in the U.S. than Obama by a huge margin, hugggggge. Cruz was born in Canada.

Trump 2016. We deserve this and we need to embrace it.

Owzers

Does Trump really have a shot? That would be nuts.

i thought no for awhile, it does seem crazy. I still think Jeb will get it when he throws down the money. Clinton/Bush campaign let's do it! I was reading a little about Trump's chances and it's not good down the line, delegates will probably group against him for a more typical candidate.

Been reading Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. It's an entertaining and informative introduction to comics (and visual art to a lesser degree) theory

Squire

Banned
Been reading Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. It's an entertaining and informative introduction to comics (and visual art to a lesser degree) theory

That's the Scott McLeoud book? Been told I should read that. I have the book Brian Bendis put out, which is pretty nice from what I've read of it.

frye

so many things!!

megahex is gr8
massive is a super explicit gay-themed erotica anthology
whoa all of krazy kat is on sale?? (1935-36 has a really good essay from jeet heer about george herriman + race)
wally wood's cannon, super racist and misogynist and well-drawn exploitation comix
prison pit (duh)
TEOTFW (charles forman!!)
black is the color (julia gfrorer!!)

so many things!!

megahex is gr8
massive is a super explicit gay-themed erotica anthology
whoa all of krazy kat is on sale?? (1935-36 has a really good essay from jeet heer about george herriman + race)
wally wood's cannon, super racist and misogynist and well-drawn exploitation comix
prison pit (duh)
TEOTFW (charles forman!!)
black is the color (julia gfrorer!!)

Prison Pit looks pretty rad, I'll give that a shot. Megahex sounds familiar too so I'll look into that.

btw since we're on Fantagraphics: if you haven't already picked up their release Nijigahara Holograph, I highly recommend it. Really gorgeous hardcover. Probably the best English manga release I've seen and it's by Asano (!!!).

frye

Prison Pit looks pretty rad, I'll give that a shot. Megahex sounds familiar too so I'll look into that.

btw since we're on Fantagraphics: if you haven't already picked up their release Nijigahara Holograph, I highly recommend it. Really gorgeous hardcover. Probably the best English manga release I've seen and it's by Asano (!!!).

Simon Hanselmann used to serialize Megahex on Vice so yeah check those outtt even if you don't wanna buy the collection

he also tumbls

and yeah i totally need to pick up Nijigahara Holograph one of these days

Yousefb

Finally all caught up on Lando and read the first couple of issues on Star Wars and Darth Vader. You guys were absolutely right! These books are a lot of fun to read. There's just something so fantastic about seeing these characters in a somewhat new light. I'm at a dilemma right now though, I cant make up my mind if I should buy the remaining issues of Star Wars/Darth Vader and subscribe to the rest or just stick to Marvel Unlimited and deal with being a bit late.

Edit: the fact that this is a "DC on TV Sale" makes me sad that GOTHAM is not just based on Gotham Central.

Lemire's N52 run is volumes 4-6. I forget issue numbers. It's a great run. The story isn't particularly strong, but the art (Sorrentino is a god) is amazing. What really makes that run, however, is the mythology it adds to Green Arrow. GA never really had much to himself, but this gives him something that is totally unique to him and is very much his own. It's the reason I picked up the run, and if you're a fan of Arrow, there have been hints that S4 may be incorporating this mythology into the show.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Read the first two issues each of East of West and Fatale tonight. No idea what is going on in either book yet but I'm enjoying the ride.

Squire

Banned
Lemire's N52 run is volumes 4-6. I forget issue numbers. It's a great run. The story isn't particularly strong, but the art (Sorrentino is a goddess) is amazing. What really makes that run, however, is the mythology it adds to Green Arrow. GA never really had much to himself, but this gives him something that is totally unique to him and is very much his own. It's the reason I picked up the run, and if you're a fan of Arrow, there have been hints that S4 may be incorporating this mythology into the show.

Lemire's run is the collection of N52 issues on sale right now. I definitely agree with you and DC must as well, haha.

Sorrentino is a dude, btw.

Top Bottom