• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
Well, uh, I guess I'll at least see some good art when I get the first trade I suppose?

Hopefully it isnt too bad.

If you loved or liked DnA's run, you will not like this. But if you haven't read DnA's run, then I strongly recommend it. Only good thing about the first arc is that the art is okay. Nothing spectacular.

I think I'll pass. lol
Spent too much already on the disappointment that is Iron Man on Marvel NOW. :/

3435411-og8wo.jpg

This is why I put Bendis into my avatar. Screw his GotG, they are not Space Avengers. They are not even Avengers period. That alone proves Bendis knows jack shit about what makes this team work and is clueless to the cosmic adventures these guys had. I'm sick and tired that they are waaaay too close to Earth to guard anything. And since when did Knowhere become a planet? And his dialogue also pisses me off when I see it coming from Peter and Rocket. Fuck Bendis' GotG.

I was going to explain under your question but I guess I already did. DnA >>>>>>>>>>>>x100 Bendis.

Yeah...you're one of those "regular" comic book fans on other message boards.

I'm outta here.

Man I don't even "ship" characters

but I like this more than I should

So are Kyle and Carol actually doing anything?

Or is this one of those teases that happen without anything actually happening.

Yeah, there has been something building between them, during the last 9 or so issues; At first it was just a mild attraction that you could explain by the fact that they've been spending a lot of time together as the shepards for the new Templar Guardians. In the annual, specifically,
they kiss for the first time. It seemed like part release of the tension and part shock value, as Carol needed to stabilize Kyle who was fading out of existence because of Oblivion's actions.

If you loved or liked DnA's run, you will not like this. But if you haven't read DnA's run, then I strongly recommend it. Only good thing about the first arc is that the art is okay. Nothing spectacular.

Nope haven't read the old one. I'm planning on getting the rerelease in July because I can't track it down anywhere for less than outrageous prices.

Savitar

Yeah, there has been something building between them, during the last 9 or so issues; At first it was just a mild attraction that you could explain by the fact that they've been spending a lot of time together as the shepards for the new Templar Guardians. In the annual, specifically,
they kiss for the first time. It seemed like part release of the tension and part shock value, as Carol needed to stabilize Kyle who was fading out of existence because of Oblivion's actions.

As a fan of Rayner when he had his own book but fell out of the scene when boring Jordan came back......I really need to read this don't I.

Savitar

Not really. But if you do then prepare to be confused as all hell.

I've read Crisis, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis and understood it all at the time.

Usually takes a lot to baffle me when reading something unless it's purposely not telling you the picture ala that horrible Ion mini some years ago.

As a fan of Rayner when he had his own book but fell out of the scene when boring Jordan came back......I really need to read this don't I.

I've enjoyed most of the New Guardians run: Yeah, his book will fall into crossovers when the other books do but it's been fairly self contained otherwise. Starting after the Relic Event (Issue #23-24...?), Kyle's book has been pretty much on it's own doing space adventures with the Guardians and Carol.

Savitar

I've enjoyed most of the New Guardians run: Yeah, his book will fall into crossovers when the other books do but it's been fairly self contained otherwise. Starting after the Relic Event (Issue #23-24...?), Kyle's book has been pretty much on it's own doing space adventures with the Guardians and Carol.

I'll try and give it a peak when I can.

Kyle's always been my favorite hero.

Cheska

Alright so since none of y'all have an opinion on Stray Bullets, what about the Oz series by Skottie Young and Eric Shanower?

Has anyone in here read it and recommends it?

Alright so since none of y'all have an opinion on Stray Bullets, what about the Oz series by Skottie Young and Eric Shanower?

I'm kind of interested in the Oz series myself. But at this point I would just wait for the omnibus in September.

Voror

So is New Guardians any good? I remember hearing it was just sort of meh. Then again, I've been out of touch with GL for some time. I fell off around Blackest Night, though I do remember thinking Tomasi's Corps was great and that Johns' Sinestro was a fantastic character.

I did read how Johns' run ended and it seemed like a nice ending. Though everything I've seen and read of the last bad guy of his run made him seem like a pretty lame final boss.

stop posting pics of ultimate spidey. i'm tearing up a bit here.

Why?

Does something happen that will sadden me forever?

The shit with MJ and then Peter's dad's videos already had me going. I'm not much further along than that.

I cant take much more.

Unless this awesome humor accompanies it. Then I could maybe deal with it.

zeeaykay

Didn't see your first post. I love it. I have the omnibus and have loved every issue so far. I'm going to cherish going through it.

EDIT: And to answer your question, don't hesitate. Each issue is a self contained story, but you'll notice recurring characters at different ages. One issue wil take place in 77 and the next might be in 89.

Essentially, it's masterful storytelling with relatable and potentially tragic characters you want to root for. Has a great sense of rhythm and suspense you don't find often.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why?

The shit with MJ and then Peter's dad's videos already had me going. I'm not much further along than that.

I cant take much more.

It's a great fucking series, you will understand soon enough.

Why?

I cant take much more.

Dude, when you're done with the run?
Just remember that we're here for you.

zeeaykay

Stray Bullets. See edit.

Also, you should check out THIS article if you're needing some more convincing.

If the page grabs he used don't appeal to you, don't let that effect your decision. He chose some odd panels to highlight and doesn't properly convey the less hectic moments that most of the issues contain.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This is why I put Bendis into my avatar. Screw his GotG, they are not Space Avengers. They are not even Avengers period. That alone proves Bendis knows jack shit about what makes this team work and is clueless to the cosmic adventures these guys had. I'm sick and tired that they are waaaay too close to Earth to guard anything. And since when did Knowhere become a planet? And his dialogue also pisses me off when I see it coming from Peter and Rocket. Fuck Bendis' GotG.

I was going to explain under your question but I guess I already did. DnA >>>>>>>>>>>>x100 Bendis.

So this, GotG was a great team book about misfits in space ala Farscape and now its a sitcom about nothing..... Bendis made GotG into Seinfeld.

So this, GotG was a great team book about misfits in space ala Farscape and now its a sitcom about nothing..... Bendis made GotG into Seinfeld.

I think the current GotG is great. It may not be the same premise as previous volumes were, but it's clearly better-written. I may go back and read the hardcovers of the last GotG series, though. Because it's been a while.

PsychBat!

Banned
Oh no :(

Now I'm scared.

I was saving Ultimate X-Men to read after USM.

Should I have done differently? Will X-Men be a let down after Spider Man?

Eh, looking back at the Ultimate Spidey comic, I think X-Men MIGHT be a letdown. And it's also a little pointless. BUT if you wanna know what's going on in a small universe, there's no other book I can suggest when it comes to Ultimate X-Men.

I think the current GotG is great. It may not be the same premise as previous volumes were, but it's clearly better-written. I may go back and read the hardcovers of the last GotG series, though. Because it's been a while.

Different strokes and all that. But better written? *cringe*

Onemic

So is GotG good or not? I've heard everything from it's terrible to it's amazing all in a single page in this thread with no inbetween.

Vibranium

Banned

Good, I really didn't actually post there that much though and haven't for a long time...which will continue, since my account is probably gone now. I wonder how this will affect Axel in Charges and Spidey 616 (who I believe is a secret editor for Marvel to ask the real Qs) hogging all the questions.

Just to let you guys know there's some flame-wars clown also called "Vibranium" there and it's not me, he's complaining about the forum reboot. Maybe I should get a more original name on GAF someday...

Owzers

I knew the Rockets were going to win today, still picking them for the series OH HEY COMICS?!?

Read Avengers #27 after not really liking New Avengers #16 anddddd i didn't really like that either. It wasn't bad, but i don't find it that interesting, mainly the A.I.M. scientists and the other universe Avengers. The
Jarvis stuff was a neat quirk though
I'm not dropping it though so we'll see how things turn out.

SRG01

Amazing SpiderDude #1 Nothing super interesting, but that's alright. It's the first issue after a crazy event.

Actually, nothing about this book is going to be status quo because
his "gf" already knows that he's Spiderman and is also more perceptive than most supporting characters already

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
readig deadly class and it reminds me of Gladstone school for world conquerors.... Mark Andrew Smith could of been a decent creator if he did screw everyone over

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think I wanna read that book.

That's from Young Justice, you'd love it. Light fare, character based, very quick to get on with the in-jokes and cuteness. I enjoyed it as a lad.

also re: CBR - in my years on the interwebs I've dipped my toes into a few comics discussion places and I think CGAF is one of the friendliest, most level headed and fun places I've found. In general, large groups of comics fans tend to make me cringe, they're always a lot dumber than I'd have hoped. But you guys are good people.

COMICS! I actually didn't mean to read anything last night but got sucked into a few books before bed:

Uncanny Avengers: I forgot this last week so caught up. Amazing stuff, Remender's batshit crazy alternate future supergroup is so much fun. I think with Eimin it strays a bit too far (as it has for the whole run, really) into "I have all these grand things to say" - nobody talks like that apart from baddies in comics. Still, it's a good book brimming with imagination. Although since I didn't grow up steeped in Marvel continuity I have literally no idea who any of Kang's group are except for the old Psylocke and Doom. That the story works at all for me is impressive.

Avengers 28: great, I was wondering what the point in the past few issues was, now it seems to be coming into focus. The structure of this entire run is very odd really but I'm finding it interesting - the first half was all about Infinity with the New Avengers stuff as a bubbling subplot. Now Infinity has wrapped, the NA plot is taking centre stage. Very neat.

All New X-Men: doing exactly what I want this book to do - characters talking about stuff. Having Immonen is such a treat, I love his work so much. His kid Iceman is perfect, he always looks so cute and cheeky. I also thought he did a good job with X23, there were a good few panels where she looked so much like Wolverine, I thought that was clever. Last page was YAAAAAAAY. This sounds really weird but there is something ... alluring about
Big Molly
. I kinda want her to squeeze me.

Batman vs Bane: I really don't know why I picked this up. GAF hype? It was a solid 2/5. Reminded me very strongly indeed of a 90s comic, maybe it was the colours which were very bland and washed out, maybe it was the very standard art, I dunno. So yeah, not so much a story as a sequence of events I thought. At the end I was left wondering what the point in this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom