• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leave it to Remender to give you one of the most political, social commentaries on the entertainment industry in the form of a super hero satire with characters made up of the Marvel Universe in the confines of his excellent run on Uncanny Avengers. The Annual was dope!

Leave it to Remender to give you one of the most political, social commentaries on the entertainment industry in the form of a super hero satire with characters made up of the Marvel Universe in the confines of his excellent run on Uncanny Avengers. The Annual was dope!

Well, drugs WERE responsible for that, sure

Cheska

Would anyone mind giving me an idea of what the hell Stray Bullets is about and if it's worth reading? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up that Uber Collection, but even google isn't being very friendly and forgoing about the series.

I wasn't really a fan. Love the main series, but the Annual wasn't even average.

Messi

Everytime I think about that Black Canary thing in futures end I chuckle to myself. Cheered me up quite a few times today. It's so random.

Boogiepop

Reading Ultimate Spider Man.

I had no idea there was some "Team Up" series. My buddy doesn't have those so I can't borrow them like the rest of the series.

Completely missed Parker's battles with Connor/Lizard.

I'm pretty disappointed right now.

I wouldn't be too upset. IIRC the Team Up series was pretty mediocre, and it left so little of an impression that I hardly remember it now anyway. But it has been a while.

Silver Surfer #1: confuses me. Is he not hanging with Galactus anymore?
Loki AoA #2: Just as good as #1. Loving the art.
Amazing SpiderDude #1 Nothing super interesting, but that's alright. It's the first issue after a crazy event.
Batman vs. Bane #1: I have NO idea why anything is happening, but I liked it. Bane is a cold bastard and I love it.

Isak_Borg

I wouldn't be too upset. IIRC the Team Up series was pretty mediocre, and it left so little of an impression that I hardly remember it now anyway. But it has been a while.

Team up series was kind of great because you got artist like Allred on the book, Kolchaka even had a couple of pages in the annual.

That's what I figured, but reading through USM(on issue 43 now), I'm disappointed that one of Spiderman's top-tier villains in the Lizard was relegated to a minor series that I didn't read.

And Parker gets to team up with a bunch of other heroes that are just barely mentioned in this series thus far. Iron Man had an appearance in one issue. Fury's in a handful. A few X-Men just showed up. But otherwise it's been pretty barebones when it comes to crossovers.

Not that I mind all that much haha. This series has been great.

PsychBat!

Banned
Silver Surfer #1: confuses me. Is he not hanging with Galactus anymore?
Amazing SpiderDude #1 Nothing super interesting, but that's alright. It's the first issue after a crazy event.
Batman vs. Bane #1: I have NO idea why anything is happening, but I liked it. Bane is a cold bastard and I love it.

Anything that happened before Silver Surfer #1 will confuse you even more and you'll just have more stuff to read, so don't worry about it.

And I wouldn't call it an event per say, maybe a series of events? I mean there was an entire series of Superior Spider-Man that's definitely worth checking out.

I also read Batman vs Bane #1, dumb issue and dumb way to just suddenly take back Gotham. After everything that has happened? There was no way I could take it seriously.

Anything that happened before Silver Surfer #1 will confuse you even more and you'll just have more stuff to read, so don't worry about it.

And I wouldn't call it an event per say, maybe a series of events? I mean there was an entire series of Superior Spider-Man that's definitely worth checking out.

I also read Batman vs Bane #1, dumb issue and dumb way to just suddenly take back Gotham. After everything that has happened? There was no way I could take it seriously.

Alright, I'll take your word on the Silver Surfer, since the art style is neat. lol

Yeah, I guess it would be a series. Superior was really great, so I expect the same from the new Amazing.

What the heck happened in the DC universe? Anything I should read first? o_O

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
just read avengers and I loved it, That scene between tony and bruce was pure comic nerd piff. i don't know how they can put that scene in film but before RDJ gives up being Iron man they have to copy it.

It was kind of the style at the time.

Cassie's Costume History

Shit, I remember her borrowing the wig, winged sandals and gauntlet.

Also:

At various conventions around the time she appeared, I heard that the people manning the DC promotional booths were calling her "Cassie, the Horse-Faced Wonder Girl."

Goddamn.

aquamancover.jpg

Goddamn.

PsychBat!

Banned
What the heck happened in the DC universe? Anything I should read first? o_O

Heroes were defeated by their evil counterparts from another universe and were trapped inside Firestorm. Batman and native universe villains teamed up to take the counterparts on. Final issue of that has not been released yet. Even then, this whole event came off from another event and it's a clusterfuck.

Anywho, what happened in Gotham was that Batman was absent and the lunatics from Arkham took over. Bane came to Gotham with his army and took the lunatics down.

EDIT: If you do wanna read what went down, check out Trinity War and Forever Evil. It's just waaaaaay too much.

I skipped the Trial of Jean Grey crossover, what is her new power?

Read it, it was good.

Anyway, she turns into this purple fire-lady that can fire plasma/telekinetic blasts. She went head to head with Gladiator and that more or less ended up being a draw. I have a feeling if it turned into a prolonged battle, she would have wrecked his shit. Her new ability seems to be an evolution of her existing powers. It seemed like she was in Phoenix mode without actually being host to the Phoenix.

PsychBat!

Banned
Saw the cover online, it was fantastic.
But, for as good as Bendis' X-Men books are, I just cannot get into his GotG.

This is why I put Bendis into my avatar. Screw his GotG, they are not Space Avengers. They are not even Avengers period. That alone proves Bendis knows jack shit about what makes this team work and is clueless to the cosmic adventures these guys had. I'm sick and tired that they are waaaay too close to Earth to guard anything. And since when did Knowhere become a planet? And his dialogue also pisses me off when I see it coming from Peter and Rocket. Fuck Bendis' GotG.

What's up with his GotG? I don't know as I haven't read the main line myself.

I was going to explain under your question but I guess I already did. DnA >>>>>>>>>>>>x100 Bendis.

MG310

Shuffled around my sub list...dropped Uncanny and Adjectiveless Avengers...not sure why I even stuck with them this long. Also dropped Sex Criminals but I'l probably read that in trades.

Giving Elektra, Hulk, and Amazing Spidey a shot.

That book is just a satire of the entertainment book, comic fans, and current trends. So awesome.

People need to reread the book and get the subtle hints from all the book.

I skipped the Trial of Jean Grey crossover, what is her new power?

Anyway, she turns into this purple fire-lady that can fire plasma/telekinetic blasts. She went head to head with Gladiator and that more or less ended up being a draw. I have a feeling if it turned into a prolonged battle, she would have wrecked his shit. Her new ability seems to be an evolution of her existing powers. It seemed like she was in Phoenix mode without actually being host to the Phoenix.

not exactly. Her new ability is to siphon and concentrate all of the existing telepathic energy in a given area and use it to amp her TK, sort of merging her telepathy and telekinesis into a sort of hybrid.

Since there were a ton of people (including a fairly skilled telepath) in the area at the time, that gave her enough juice to go h2h with gladiator for a while. Edit: hell, Gladiator's own abilities have long been speculated to BE some kind of psionic based ability, since they're directly tied to confidence and blatantly ignore known laws of physics.

I take it you were listening to a specific podcast ;)

I was. I was light on podcasts at work that week and needed to listen to it to FIGHT Jedeye. But it helps that I am already predisposed to certain elements of Chinese lore, I've read through the Luo Guanzhong Three Kingdoms books, for example.

This is why I put Bendis into my avatar. Screw his GotG, they are not Space Avengers. They are not even Avengers period. That alone proves Bendis knows jack shit about what makes this team work and is clueless to the cosmic adventures these guys had. I'm sick and tired that they are waaaay too close to Earth to guard anything. And since when did Knowhere become a planet? And his dialogue also pisses me off when I see it coming from Peter and Rocket. Fuck Bendis' GotG.

I was going to explain under your question but I guess I already did. DnA >>>>>>>>>>>>x100 Bendis.

Well, uh, I guess I'll at least see some good art when I get the first trade I suppose?

Hopefully it isnt too bad.

Heroes were defeated by their evil counterparts from another universe and were trapped inside Firestorm. Batman and native universe villains teamed up to tale the counterparts on. Final issue of that has not been released yet. Even then, this whole event came off from another event and it's a clusterfuck.

Anywho, what happened in Gotham was that Batman was absent and the lunatics from Arkham took over. Bane came to Gotham with his army and took the lunatics down.

EDIT: If you do wanna read what went down, check out Trinity War and Forever Evil. It's just waaaaaay too much.
I think I'll pass. lol
Spent too much already on the disappointment that is Iron Man on Marvel NOW. :/

Savitar

So are Kyle and Carol actually doing anything?

Or is this one of those teases that happen without anything actually happening.

Oh yeah and I will say I don't know if I've laughed harder at a comic than when Jean Grey thanked Parker for not imagining her naked...and then he proceeds to anyway hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom