• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hickman is probably one of the best writers at marvel at the moment.

His books are overly ambitious and he tends to nail his landing. If you want an example of this read his Fantastic Four run. Probably one of the best runs on a book in comic book history might be up there with Simonsons run on Thor.
To be fair, though I love his stuff and am confident he will deliver on the big payoff, the buildup has been a bit slow at times and like Jedeye mentioned, the singular issues have less heart than FF did.

That being said, the only 2 books I've read so far this week have been Avengers and New Avengers. Both worked very well and the ending to Avengers cements my belief he'll have knocked it out of the park once all is said and done. Hickman isn't a great character writer but he's probably the best guy around at managing lots of moving pieces.

Also, I'm totally counting on SHIELD to be meaningful in how everything in Avengers plays out.

Same here, I feel like they chose the perfect artist as well.

He has that early Ditko Spider-Man down pat, and utilizes the dense 9 panel grid of the Lee/Ditko era in a unique way. He'll use large images like Spider-Man on the tight rope and he'll break them up through the borders to guide your eye to certain elements up and down the page.

I got a good feeling about that one next week

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ooh awesome. Great to see the first of hopefully many Image hardcover collections. Does anyone know if any more were solicited yet? What I'm really looking forward to reading are the hopefully-upcoming Hickman, Fraction, and Remender comics in hardcover collections. Edit: Oh, and definitely Manifest Destiny too. Edit 2: Oh, and Zero, obviously. Man, there are way too many good Image comics right now.
I'll very likely pick up Saga though. The library had the first trade and I remember enjoying it, but I don't think my mind was totally blown like with some people. Definitely good comics though, and I do like my oversized hardcovers.

I think it all depends on what each individual creative team wants to do. There's no real standard for how or if Image collects the material.

I just can't believe people think Saga is legitimately great. It's coasted one the creators reputations far too long....

Heh. I'm not as down on it as you, but I find it pretty overrated. The art is amazing, but after 18 issues, I find the story pretty meandering and pointless, and I really dislike some of the forced edginess. I might grab the next volume to see what happens with the apparent
time jump
but my interest is waning, especially when there are just countless other comics to read.

Damn, wonder who will be on it after? Remender would be my choice but I'd much rather see him on the main X-book to repair the damage Bendis has done. Charles Soule, maybe?

Bendis needs to remain on X-Men for years. I suspect Remender probably will pcik up another Avengers book though maybe Fraction too if he isn't giving up on mainstream cape books.

Protag

Banned
Question about a detail in ultimate spider man.

Around the early double digit issues in the first octavius arc, when juatin hammer is giving his speech on his project, one of the interviewers in the crowd is eddie brock. They do not show his face, just a ble sleeve and hand, and he talks off panel.

This conflicts with issues 33-39, where brock is a college student at ESU, and hes not a reporter.

Was this just a continuity error because the series was at an early stage? Or is eddie working part time at the daily globe?

Thank god for that. Home to some of the worst trolling and fanboy drivel I've ever seen on the internet.

A much needed change!

Maybe I'll actually frequent an actual comic book forum instead of hiding on GAF.

The X-board and Dan Slott's trolling were often entertaining but every single Scott Snyder thread devolved into Grant Morrison fanboys claiming Snyder was the worst Batman writer there has ever been.
I posted 6 times the entire life of my account there, all pretty much on the same subject (one guess). Even lurking there just to read "discussions" was a chore.

Messi

Went to buy Silver Surfer #1 from the store today and they were all out :(

I seen Blade on the cover of a book today in the new releases. I can't for the life of me remember which one. Please someone help. I love Blade :(. I didn't know he existed in Marvel now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New Avengers is still so much fun.

Great cliffhanger.

I can't wait for next month.
They'll be going into a fight where they're outgunned and yet have already seen. If they're going to survive then they need to take advantage of that and I wonder how they'll do it.

Omega

Banned
Is there a textless version of this anywhere?
amazing_spider_man_1_cover.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yo guys, why the hell did someone just link me a picture of Kyle Raynor and Carol making out? WTF happened to Green Lantern in the last year?

Went to buy Silver Surfer #1 from the store today and they were all out :(

I seen Blade on the cover of a book today in the new releases. I can't for the life of me remember which one. Please someone help. I love Blade :(. I didn't know he existed in Marvel now.
Was it Mighty Avengers? I think I saw that he was in that

Omega

Banned
I just can't believe people think Saga is legitimately great. It's coasted one the creators reputations far too long....

May not be a must-read series, but I really enjoy it.

Then again my first experience into the comic world was pre-Lemire Green Arrow, so everything seems great in comparison.

Messi

From the CBR article.

"Unfortunately, what happened next was unacceptable -- so-called "fans" around the Internet, on various message boards and social media, including the CBR Forums, attacked Janelle personally, threatening her with rape and assault. These same "fans" found her e-mail, home address and other personal information, and used it to harass and terrorize her, including an attempted hacking of her bank account.

All over a comic book cover critique. Just think about that for a second."

WHAT.THE.FUCK.

Some people can't be serious. How you not look at yourself while doing any of those things and think "wow. I am a piece of shit"

Messi

I am glad I don't go to other comic book forums. You folks are more than enough crazy for me. Plus I don't think most places would put up with me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The great thing about GAF, I think, is that it has a giant off-topic section. It may originally be a gaming forum, but that's just a [significant] piece of it now. So we may have little niches here and there, but it's a far cry from the insular, sheltered communities elsewhere.

Look on the bright side. I have a new avatar. lol

Screw Bendis though

Wait, what's Bendis got to do with this?

Outside the X-Books forum, CBR was a cesspit of socially inept, out-of-touch wackjobs. I used to get into arguments with psychotic Black Panther fans every week and various users who wholeheartedly believed stupid shit like Songbird being an A-class character.

X-Books forum embraced the inherent silliness of superhero comics and that made the wackos even madder.

Isak_Borg

I posted 6 times the entire life of my account there, all pretty much on the same subject (one guess). Even lurking there just to read "discussions" was a chore.

Yeah, I used to read that forum on a regular basis but the whole Miles Morales thing really turned me off, kind of how gender/race swap threads on gaf drive me crazy.

Isak_Borg

From the CBR article.

"Unfortunately, what happened next was unacceptable -- so-called "fans" around the Internet, on various message boards and social media, including the CBR Forums, attacked Janelle personally, threatening her with rape and assault. These same "fans" found her e-mail, home address and other personal information, and used it to harass and terrorize her, including an attempted hacking of her bank account.

All over a comic book cover critique. Just think about that for a second."

WHAT.THE.FUCK.

Some people can't be serious. How you not look at yourself while doing any of those things and think "wow. I am a piece of shit"

Don't get on the wrong side of comic/gaming fandom!

People need to remember that part of it being a hobby is that it doesn't dominate your life, it's something you do for fun (& money in my case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom