• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the cheapest you guys have ever found "Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment"?

3862281_1.jpg

Like, $30 bucks

Ten years ago >_>

No idea why one of Marvel's greatest stories is out of print. Sometimes I don't understand their policies.

BUT if you're looking for Doc Strange stuff and you haven't got The Oath, FIX THAT IMMEDIATELY.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
No idea why one of Marvel's greatest stories is out of print. Sometimes I don't understand their policies.

Marvel has some real baffling policies on what they keep in print. The earliest issues of Amazing Spider-Man aren't in print in any form. You'd think that would be utterly absurd when it involves their signature character and creator.

Like, $30 bucks

Ten years ago >_>

BUT if you're looking for Doc Strange stuff and you haven't got The Oath, FIX THAT IMMEDIATELY.

I've seen it used for about $35. With a standard used price in the 70's I shudder to think of the condition a $35 copy would be in.

The earliest issues of Amazing Spider-Man aren't in print in any form. You'd think that would be utterly absurd when it involves their signature character and creator.

The first ten issues are just not in print, which is just the wackiest thing. Essential, Masterwork, Omnibus, all of them(although the first Masterwork isn't TOO high of a price). How do you not have the first few issues in a highly-revered run of your most well-known character constantly out there? Why wouldn't you!?

tm24

I totally forgot about that mini. Teen Doom in hell sounded so awesome. I remember Cloonan was gonna draw, but who was the writier, Spencer or Ven Lente?

Owzers

Spencer. There were rumors around why it got canned, Cloonan not getting the art in and accepting other projects and such, but i think Marvel just wanted to cut back on minis since that was when they were pairing back their line. I wouldn't be surprised if Thanos mini got canned just because Marvel remembered that minis don't sell well.

7pmTU.png

t3px6.png

I suspect that Wacker is being a bit disingenuous; considering how recently the project was announced and how much it was being hyped as of just two weeks ago at SDCC, I have to think that there was some sort of behind-the-scenes drama. But who knows?

what the hell? I have that Doctor Strange book just laying around somewhere. Some comic store just gave it to me because I used to wear this old Hellboy shirt. I should go look for it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So do you go around using the word "datum"?

This is one case where the incorrect usage is the more common usage and therefore the correct usage. In fact, I think both are technically correct.

No, I don't. I say "the data are" or "the data suggest." Yes the other usage is more common but it bugs me, because it is technically incorrect.

JeTmAn81

On a Batman kick with the movie lately, so I decided to pull out some of my comics. Dark Victory, Joker (Azarello), Year One and The Killing Joke are now on the shelf. But I'm in a mood for more Loeb Batman, so I check my local library and what do I find?

Hush volumes 1 and 2, The Haunted Knight (Halloween stories), Catwoman: When in Rome. I got'em all, plus something by Paul Dini called Heart of Hush. I have read the original Hush before but it's been a while. I'm anticipating the sweet Superman fight scenes. I feel a bit silly grabbing up all the Batman stuff, especially since it was all apparently hanging out in the teen section, but what the hey.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's not technically incorrect. Both usages are correct. "The data is" is a more modern usage.

Yes, it is a more modern usage and is thus considered correct usage, but technically, i.e. based on the rules of grammar, "data" is plural whereas "datum" is singular.

Haha I don't think it's a topic worth getting into an argument over, it just bugs me when people say "the data is," and I was impressed that it was used the other way in a comic book of all things.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yes, it is a more modern usage and is thus considered correct usage, but technically, i.e. based on the rules of grammar, "data" is plural whereas "datum" is singular.

Haha I don't think it's a topic worth getting into an argument over, it just bugs me when people say "the data is," and I was impressed that it was used the other way in a comic book of all things.

It's not considered correct. It IS correct. But of course this has been a subject of debate for a long time.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/is-data-singular-or-plural.aspx

Come on, grammar discussions are fun!

So I'm ready to take that plunge and get back into comics. I'm purchasing the Crises storyline but I want to get into the New 52. I'm hearing different things and since there's no comic store here where I live, I can only turn to GAF.

So what say you DC GAF? Is the New 52 worth jumping in? If so, what series should I get into?

Owzers

So I'm ready to take that plunge and get back into comics. I'm purchasing the Crises storyline but I want to get into the New 52. I'm hearing different things and since there's no comic store here where I live, I can only turn to GAF.

So what say you DC GAF? Is the New 52 worth jumping in? If so, what series should I get into?

I'd go with:

Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Batman Incorporated ( but read the previous batman inc hardcover first).

If it looks good to you:

Animal Man and Swamp Thing, really should be read together, violent non-horror horror, most people like it though it's going on a bit slowly

Justice League by Geoff Johns - Competent, though perhaps because Bendis does such a poor job on Avengers it makes Johns JL look better.

Justice League Dark = Lemire has taken over the book, i'd give it a look.
Demon Knights = a little slow, but a medieval fantasy book that can be read on its own and is fairly good

Flash = If you like Flash, it's a solid title.

Green Lantern = if you're okay with more GL crossover events.

I'd go with:

Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Batman Incorporated ( but read the previous batman inc hardcover first).

If it looks good to you:

Animal Man and Swamp Thing, really should be read together, violent non-horror horror, most people like it though it's going on a bit slowly

Justice League by Geoff Johns - Competent, though perhaps because Bendis does such a poor job on Avengers it makes Johns JL look better.

Justice League Dark = Lemire has taken over the book, i'd give it a look.
Demon Knights = a little slow, but a medieval fantasy book that can be read on its own and is fairly good

Flash = If you like Flash, it's a solid title.

Green Lantern = if you're okay with more GL crossover events.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm into batman, flash, jla, and swamp thing.

Having been out for a while, does it seem like DC made the right decision?

Owzers

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm into batman, flash, jla, and swamp thing.

Having been out for a while, does it seem like DC made the right decision?

In sales, yes, in execution, a little iffy. There are some good books though which is what matters most imo, and we got Animal Man and Swamp Thing out of the relaunch and both are selling well and are of high quality. The relaunch was basically making everyone younger and picking/choosing continuity instead of really creating a "New" dc universe while at the same time creating an environment for other books to sell well outside of the most popular titles. Batman/Green Lantern pretty much kept their same continuity since they were selling well and popular...which is just a bit weird, but since i read those titles i didn't mind. And we'll be having a new event next year based on the new character Pandora which the intro to that can be seen in the New 52 free comic book day issue. It's free on comixolgy incase you missed it, it's definitely worth reading to get a taste of things to come without really spoiling any of the other issues. http://www.comixology.com/Free-Comic-Book-Day/comics-series/8338

rCIZZLE

Got a question for some collectors of physical comics if there are any on gaf - what's a good site to buy backissues of lower printed, recent comics? I'm starting to build a collection and want to grab some low # first prints of books I like but I'm having trouble finding these books on ebay and mycomicshop. Retailers like milehighcomics seem to ask too much if they have any in stock.

Tizoc

Great comic week for me-
Sonic Universe 42:
Naugus was the best part of the issue IMO, but overall I much prefer the Shard & friends part of the story. Hopefully Shard'll remain or show up in more stories in the future.

All-Star Western 11:
Really hope the Court of Owls doesn't overpower the Crime Bible Cult, it's one thing to promote this new fad, but making them too strong is going too far.
Also Tellulah <3

Aquaman 11:
Good issue overall, but I still feel like Geoff is going on a slow pace with this series.

Batman Inc. #3:
Book of the week~ ...and I am now 90% sure Damian is a Tsundere
He mocks Rick during the issue, but at the end uses the code name 'Redwing', not being too subtle here kiddo. Still I relly dislike the red+black color for Nightwing, even tho Tim managed to pull it off with his Robin costume before the retcon.
As for the issue itself, it was amazing and I am looking forward to Bats turning the tide next issue oh and
Batcow BETTER be Damian's back-up!

Dinosaurs vs. Aliens #1:
Great art, and a good first issue, looking forward to the next one and I hope that by the end it'll be a great read.

FF #20:
Grown-up Valeria is what Young Valeria should be like.
...and Future Franklin telling his younger self to go to a normal school is wonderful

Green Lantern #11:
Another Geoff series that has a slow pace I feel, but overall a good issue, liked the Black Hand segments, and that final spread begs the questions
Is Atrocitus leading the Manhunters against the Guardians or the GL Corps?
Kyle becoming a Red Lantern
Guy in jail
The Black Ring having a role in the fall of the Corps
Oh and the word on that guy's arm in the spread is 'Courage/Bravery' in Arabic, glad to see them finally writing something properly haha...which kinda makes me wonder...who is that guy?

TMNT 12 & Casey Jones:
CJ was a Wonderful issue, #12 was good, but I still hope
Hob isn't dead XP
Looking forward to the next story arc, but hope it'll be a little faster paced.

Transformers: More than meets the eye #7
I don't think I'm giving this series much focus or attention, RiD is my fav. of the new direction of the series, but this book is written by the authors of Last Stand of the Wreckers which was brilliant. Still the end of this issue put a smile on my face...and considering that the game is coming out soon, I should've seen it coming lol.

sol_bad

Got a question for some collectors of physical comics if there are any on gaf - what's a good site to buy backissues of lower printed, recent comics? I'm starting to build a collection and want to grab some low # first prints of books I like but I'm having trouble finding these books on ebay and mycomicshop. Retailers like milehighcomics seem to ask too much if they have any in stock.

I am having a very hard time finding early issues of the Mark Waid's Daredevil, the New 52 Nightwing, Uncanny X-Force and the new TMNT series.
I too would also appreciate it if anyone can point out any other good places to find back issues. I know of Mycomicshop and New Kadia,

ReiGun

Enjoyable week for me.

Aquaman: Johns is taking his sweet time with this arc, but I don't mind much since this story has been fun. The Others are a really interesting group of misfits and I hope they stick around for a good while.

Batwing: Liking that Batwing is interacting more with the Bat-Family (without them overshadowing him). The new villains look ridiculous (LORD BATTLE!), but I'm sure they'll be entertaining. And some more focus on Matu is welcome. We're 11 issues in, and I still don't feel like I really know this guy.

Batwoman: Catching up here (issue 8). You know, Reeder's art isn't bad. It's just after having Williams for the first arc, the switch is really jarring. Also, see "Wonder Woman"? This is how you focus on multiple characters while keeping your hero looking like the hero. Sheesh.

Swamp Thing: I wish I could comment here, but I picked up issue 11 without grabbing 10, so I gotta wait. Umm...the cover is nice. >_<

Captain Marvel: That was a good debut. Really drove home how important taking the Captain Marvel name was to Carol, and did a great job at establishing who she is. My reaction to the art was mixed in that it was good, but fit the second, more quiet half of the issue better than it did the action sequence.

Owzers

comixology sale.....seems like all of Irredeemable and Incorruptible.

I've always wanted to read it but would have preferred the Deluxe Hardcover version...but the first 12 issues in deluxe OHC costs the same as 50 issues digital.

:)

:O

Is the whole series worth reading?

Dram

I suspect that Wacker is being a bit disingenuous; considering how recently the project was announced and how much it was being hyped as of just two weeks ago at SDCC, I have to think that there was some sort of behind-the-scenes drama. But who knows?

Starlin might sue Marvel over Thanos

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=63156

He wants in on that movie money. Especially, since Thanos is going to be a big part of it.

Tizoc

I've always wanted to read it but would have preferred the Deluxe Hardcover version...but the first 12 issues in deluxe OHC costs the same as 50 issues digital.

Yes it is, one of Waid's best works.

Splatt

Irredeemable starts of great and slowly decays in quality. It remains good, but the best issues were the first ones.

Incorruptible I didn't like from the start.

Owzers

So........i didn't like Walking Dead #100 at all really, it felt like i've seen this all before. I'm still curious to see how things play out and it's still better than most cape books just on the fact that next issue isn't part of a 10 issue crossover. But even the main enemy seems to be in on the joke:

" Hell, you probably thought you had this world figured out. Managing the dead, gathering supplies...might have even been a long time since the last person died before we came along. Working together...That's over now. done. gone. dead. it's time for something new." Is that Kirkman admitting that the previous few story arcs were slow and boring and now Governor 2.0 is in the mix ? They even had the obligatory shocking execution like the Governor did outside the prison and Negan's men tried to do outside the camp.

Timo

I just started working at a comic shop, and I need to know a few good titles to start reading. I normally read 'indie' comics and shit but I need to start reading some superhero comics or they are going to hate me. Someone suggest like, 3 titles to get into. The biggest three currently going on that are worth a shit. Dc, Marvel, whatever normal comic readers read.

I just started working at a comic shop, and I need to know a few good titles to start reading. I normally read 'indie' comics and shit but I need to start reading some superhero comics or they are going to hate me. Someone suggest like, 3 titles to get into. The biggest three currently going on that are worth a shit. Dc, Marvel, whatever normal comic readers read.

Invincible (Robert kirkman) from Image
Wolverine and the X-Men
Batman (Scott Snyder)

Invincible is my go to recommendation for indie comics lovers trying out superhero stuff

Also, not really superhero but Saga by Brian k. Vaughan is the best comics on the stands right now and it's only 5 issues in.

Edit: if ur working at a retail store u might wanna flip through the last few event books (fear itself, AvX, flashpoint) just to familirize ur self with what's been going on

Finished reading Sleeper today. What a treat reading this from beginning to end. Not a single issue too long, and not a boring moment. Loved the hell out of it.

I need to read more completed, finite stories like this.

For Marvel:Wolverine and the X-Men

Daredevil

Uncanny X-Force

you can replace WaXM with Secret Avengers.. if you want less X-Men.

EDIT: Fantastic Four is also an excellent choice.

Ravager61

I adore Snyder's Batman. Definitely read that.

As for Marvel, Uncanny X-Force is great. I love reading that. Wolverine and the X-Men and Uncanny X-Men can both be good at times but can also have clunkers. Worth checking out if you like X-Men.

edit: Also, AvX has been fairly solid so far imo. That is worth reading from the beginning if you can.

how do you get a job at a comicbook store and not know whats good? did they interview you at all? I guess a non-comic reader would be less inclined to read everything for free instead of working lol.

Timo

how do you get a job at a comicbook store and not know whats good? did they interview you at all? I guess a non-comic reader would be less inclined to read everything for free instead of working lol.

He saw that i drew comics so he assumed i liked super hero comics. Wrong but it'll work.

rCIZZLE

Ever been to a gamestop? If they cared at all about knowledge of product then the neckbeard to clueless hot girl/dudebro ratio would be a lot more in our favor.

Been reading uncanny X force and I just finished the apocalypse saga. It was pretty good, this is one of my first comics ever(started superman birthright and supercrooks since i'm a fan of the artist(lienil yu) so it's kinda hard to follow. but I liked the ending of the saga and Opena's art was great(the main reason that I'm even reading comics is to see more artwork by my favorite artists.) . This next arc i'm not sure if i want to read. They changed the artists and I do not like the art much at all. Wolverine looks way ugly. Can anyone tell me if Opena comes back and if i can jump to the issue he returned without much confusion?

Daredevil
Fantastic Four
Swamp Thing/Animal Man

maybe, I don't think you can force yourself
as long as you're sort of aware of the what people wanting and aren't an asshole I'd think you'd be cool there.

notworksafe

Nothing. Stick to comics about anorexic barristas or whatever shit "indies" read.

New Avengers
Conan
Batman

Also maybe ask your co-workers what they like?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Been reading uncanny X force and I just finished the apocalypse saga. It was pretty good, this is one of my first comics ever(started superman birthright and supercrooks since i'm a fan of the artist(lienil yu) so it's kinda hard to follow. but I liked the ending of the saga and Opena's art was great(the main reason that I'm even reading comics is to see more artwork by my favorite artists.) . This next arc i'm not sure if i want to read. They changed the artists and I do not like the art much at all. Wolverine looks way ugly. Can anyone tell me if Opena comes back and if i can jump to the issue he returned without much confusion?

I don't think Opena has come back just yet. You could maybe skip the next arc if you wanted to, it doesn't seem super essential to the ongoing story, although it is pretty fun and a lot happens. I say you should just roll with it, expand your artistic horizons a little. I can't remember the artist's name right now, but it is kind of expressive and fluid and original, if not always perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom