• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics in 2011: What's happening in the coming year and what YOU hope to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know what the f*** happened to brave and the bold with JMS. I've never enjoyed the guy, but this run was pretty amazing, and all of a sudden u just stopped getting solicits for the book.

does anyone know what the heck is going on?

Coins

Banned
I wish that a comic book came with a code that allowed me to download the digital version of it. Im a collector but would love to just be able to bag and board the physical version and read the digital.

btrick

Coins said:
I wish that a comic book came with a code that allowed me to download the digital version of it. Im a collector but would love to just be able to bag and board the physical version and read the digital.

I would buy more comics if it was like this.

-Mikey-

With the Death of Spidey coming up this year is now a good time to jump into Ultimate Spider-Man, 150, or should I catch up starting at number 1 with Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man?

WascallyWabbit said:
I want to know what the f*** happened to brave and the bold with JMS. I've never enjoyed the guy, but this run was pretty amazing, and all of a sudden u just stopped getting solicits for the book.

does anyone know what the heck is going on?

He is incapable of adhering to any commitment. I wouldn't hire him to change out the rubbish.

Fusebox

Banned
Coins said:
I would buy a crapton more AND buy a new Ipad.

I manage my own dual-format licenses. Which means if I buy the comic, I feel no guilt in reading a scan of the same comic on my iPad.

Mind you, if Marvel Digital subscriptions transferred to Marvel Comics app on iPad I wouldn't even have to worry about getting the scans.

So I'm trying to get back in to comics. What are the best comic book websites? Only ones I've found are CBR and Newsarama.

ridley182 said:
So I'm trying to get back in to comics. What are the best comic book websites? Only ones I've found are CBR and Newsarama.

If you want to get back into comics, go to a comic shop.

I tend to avoid comic websites these days due to the high ratio of spoilers.

It's all too easy these days to have a good story ruined thanks to sloppy reporting.

Go pick up some copies of The Comics Journal, Back Issue, or Alter Ego for in depth comic discussion.

Is this the right comic thread to ask:

Where's the best place to start with Marvel? With DC I've started to read from Crisis on Infinite... and then all the Year Zero/Origin stories onwards. I can't seem to find a similar 'bookmark' within the Marvel universe to start from.

Last thing I read was Civil War, but I'd really like to start from further back than that.

Slime

Banned
I just want Buffy Season 9 to be awesome. Joss' letter at the end of S8 #40 was a good sign, since he indicated that the new books would focus less on convoluted epics and more on the characters. Still can't help but feel a little pessimistic though.

Also, I want Batwoman to be good. I loved Greg Rucka's Detective Comics run, but now that he's left DC I'm a bit worried. JH Williams III is a brilliant artist and I'm glad that he's still around, but I was drawn to Batwoman because of Rucka in the first place, and I'm a bit worried Williams won't be able to do justice to the characters. We'll see, though. At least it'll have amazing art.

Zabka

I hope Flashpoint isn't a waste of time, and I hope season two of Walking Dead is an improvement on the comic instead of turning it into cheap SyFy shit.
Much like comics themselves, follow the writers. I like David Uzumeri and Chris Sims, who both write a lot of stuff for Comics Alliance (among other places).

David Uzumeri does some excellent annotations for Grant Morrison's work, some of which are on Comics Alliance and some are on Funnybook Babylon. He's also started annotating Hickman's Fantastic Four run. On his personal blog he's been working his way through Chris Claremont's X-Men run and Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man with an old friend of his named Addison Godel.

Chris Sims is funny. For example: The Spider-Man Newspaper Strip and Aunt May's Secret Underground Marriage To the Mole Man.

Neither have ever watched Smallville, so as a project they've watched and discussed the currently running Season Ten, while occasionally going back to watch older episodes that readers recommend.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/tag/Smallville/

It's nice to see people quickly realize that Erica Durance is both beautiful and entertaining, Tom Welling can be really good when he's acting like a dick, Smallville's Lex Luthor is the real hero, and Lionel Luthor has the hair of a demi-god.

m3f7s.gif

So I picked up Craig Thompson's Habibi yesterday, read most of it last night and finished it this morning. Overall I think this is the first of Thompson's work to disappoint me. My primary criticism has to do with how unfocused and meandering the story is; it feels like he either didn't have an editor or the one assigned to him was afraid to intervene in the work. It's very self-indulgent, the artwork gorgeous and lush but in service to a story that's both hackneyed and tiresome. I went looking for review/criticism to see whether I was being harsh and found mostly positive reviews, then stumbled on this conversation at BB, which mostly focuses on accusations of fetishization of the other/orientalism:

Boing Boing

Interview with the author here where he addresses some of that, although I find his "it's just a fairy tale" comment a little bit of dodging:

Interview @ Guernica

Anyone else read through this and have comment? I was surprised to see very little discussion of the quality and tightness of the writing. Closest is probably this review in the Guardian:

Guardian Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom