• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come and See is the greatest war movie of all time

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
"And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see! And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth." Book of Revelation

I never seen a more harrowing and intense film then this. The sense of intense dread throughout the film, never has a film ever made me feel this type of way, not even Apocalypse Now. This is not for the faint hearted, everyone needs to see this film. I think i can only watch this once though.

MV5BODM4Njg0NTAtYjI5Ny00ZjAxLTkwNmItZTMxMWU5M2U3M2RjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_.jpg

Quasicat

It's tied for me with the other movie that you only see once, Grave of the Fireflies
I had a college professor make this required viewing for the World War II class I took during my undergrad. I still have my copy, never intend to to watch it again, and yet I still cannot bring myself to get rid of it. It’s such a good movie…but not one I can do twice.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Eh, I dunno. Looks too much like a Terrence Malik hot mess and not enough like a good war film.

The best war movies should not make you leave the cinema making fist pumps, it should leave you fucking depressed about humanity. "Come and See" is not an action movie, so if that's what you're looking for, you'll hate it. But it is a powerful experience and worth seeing once.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The best war movies should not make you leave the cinema making fist pumps, it should leave you fucking depressed about humanity. "Come and See" is not an action movie, so if that's what you're looking for, you'll hate it. But it is a powerful experience and worth seeing once.

What war movies leave you with a fist bumping feeling?

There's some semi famous critic quote "There are no anti war movies", but I can't see it myself.

June

The best war movies should not make you leave the cinema making fist pumps, it should leave you fucking depressed about humanity.

Brad pitt says otherwise

2018_01_09-1.gif

but yes Come and See is a great movie and a harrowing experience.
And I wouldn't say it's a film exclusive for an arthouse crowd at all, it's heavy emotions translate pretty well to the mainstream. The Thin Red line however I could absolutely see being more for the artsy crowd

In terms of harrowing war films Amen (2002) (super underwatched btw) and The Pianist (2002) are up there

Pagusas

Elden Member

There's some semi famous critic quote "There are no anti war movies", but I can't see it myself.

tons…. Just think of films like Pearl Harbor by Michael Bay. Or the most recent Midway film or any John Wayne film.

Last edited:
In my opinion Come and see is a terrific film that is not afraid to show the brutality of war, especially during the eastern front during ww2 which some horrendous things happened.

Last edited:

The decade after 9/11 were every single American war movie was super patriotic and was so in your face about how star spangeled awesome America was, even Americans audiences felt the cringe in the end.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A war film about ww2 that isn’t about the U.K. or the USA?
how is that even possible season 1 GIF by Manifest

I will watch this movie but I can tell I will have to be in the right frame of mind.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The decade after 9/11 were every single American war movie was super patriotic and was so in your face about how star spangeled awesome America was, even Americans audiences felt the cringe in the end.

Can you give some examples?

It feels like the vast majority of war movies I've seen are "War is hell. Soldiers get the brunt of it."

Pro America? Sure. Pro war? Not as much.

Can you give some examples?

It feels like the vast majority of war movies I've seen are "War is hell. Soldiers get the brunt of it."

Pro America? Sure. Pro war? Not as much.

I think both pro America but also sort of creating the sense of why being in Afghanistan and Iraq is nessecary which is a pro war messages especially when it came to the war on terror.

However certain movies even dealing with WW2 was uber patriotic and almost insulted the viewer like Pearl Harbor from 2001 and granted that movie came out before 9/11 on May but it's historically tasteless movie.

But I think as a non American most movies from that decade especially war movies left a bad taste in my mouth, the exception being Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

Some tv-shows actively worked with the pentagon to boost recruitment Stargate which cooporated with the US AIRFORCE and Richard Dean Anderson was granted an honorary brigadeer general by the us air force.

And there was a sense if you were against the war in Afghanistan or Iraq you were unAmerican, I lived in the US during that time and it was weird and the blowback once the war dragged on and pendelum tipped the other way was fascinating to see as well.

Great Hair

Banned
Eh, I dunno. Looks too much like a Terrence Malik hot mess and not enough like a good war film.

It´s a slow burner, progressively getting weirder, louder until the climax. Very noisey, chaotic and with a close up of something that will burn in your retina, not as bad as that scene in Bone Tomahawk but still kind of harrowing.

This is sort of the Hard to be a God of WW2 flicks. By far the best anti WW2 film.
Watch it at night, else the third act will not come across as it should, have less impact.

Oscars Statuette GIF by The Academy Awards

Editaur

Spielberg definitely liked it.

I really liked the use of single shots in this film. Having the characters look directly in the camera like they are talking to us.

Also, the progression of the main actor just through his face alone is incredible.

highrider

Banned

The best war movies do both. Apocalypse Now comes to mind immediately, Private Ryan..

Last edited:

Romulus

Could be. But I guess anything "good" nowadays is always "the greatest ever" because basically our creator culture is so shit now. Everyone with natural talent is staring at instagram all day instead of working and developing their skill.

VN1X

Banned
What a coincidence! I just saw this last month for the first time myself (without first seeing trailers of course because going in blind with these sorts of films is best).

As said it's absolutely harrowing (if a bit self-indulgent sometimes) and while I wouldn't class it as "the greatest war movie" of all time, it's definitely up there as one of the most unnerving psychological horror films I've ever seen. Although now that I think about it they did use live rounds during the action shots and actually killed a real cow so... there's that. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom