• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Color meanings and symbolism in the logos of Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox

Fuz

Banned
what about those movie and game (mostly military themed) posters that overly used yellow and blue?
Orange and blue are on the opposite sides of the spectre. Cold/warm. They just look very good together because of that.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I guess head office had a choice between diarrhea brown or this. They chose wisely.

35920863f8f3b0cfe798866012ca1bca7d3f926c.png
That is so ugly. Nothing related to food or the "Mexican" influence. Why is the bell pink?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is so ugly. Nothing related to food or the "Mexican" influence. Why is the bell pink?
According to this site, they say this.

Colors of Taco Bell Logo

The Taco Bell logo features bright shades of blue, pink and yellow to appeal to its young customers. While the blue color stands for approachability, excellence and grace, the pink depicts youthfulness and affection. The yellow color, on the other hand, symbolizes happiness, optimism and joy.

JWhiskey

Neo Member
what about those movie and game (mostly military themed) posters that overly used yellow and blue?

what does that mean?
It's basic color theory. They are complimentary colors and look good together.

WitchHunter

Banned
You see colors in everything around you, every moment of the day - but do you ever stop to think about the impact each of those colors is having on you?
Color meanings stem from psychological effects, biological conditioning and cultural developments. Some color meanings are deeply rooted in our brains while others change over time and are different from culture to culture

Take a moment to think of Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox - the colors they use and their logos, what feelings and messages do those brands convey to you?

aUr1f3k.jpg
W75tOsT.jpg
g3eaYjc.jpg

Edit: I've added more colors.

BEqiHyd.jpg
CXjnaz0.jpg
67QnqQP.jpg
7SouPaD.jpg
PKpr0ap.jpg
d5AtuCC.jpg
Uc5sOOT.jpg
hhKHC38.jpg
e2NRdu3.jpg
GfoBGKB.jpg
9aJWWHk.jpg

It would be a nice way to see how a brand can or not have different meanings, to different people.
Also to those who are color blind, my apologies but maybe it is not all about color but an accumulation of personal experiences. The shapes used in the logos does also convey messages.

I will start:

Nintendo - Passionate, Conservative

Playstation - Creativity, Stability

Xbox - Power, Wealth, Connectivity
Oh, look palmistry aka palm reading. Your future is certain my pedigree chum.

Zeroing

Banned
Oh, look palmistry aka palm reading. Your future is certain my pedigree chum.
I can’t believe people are comparing this to some weird occult thing. Color does have an effect on people! There’s tons of medical articles about it also! Even artists use color in art to convey messages/feelings.

Video games people! Visual also! The same way darker tone colors/colder are used in games of horror genre and not bright colorful colors… it’s to convey an atmospheric cold and mysterious mood!

Elysion

Banned
Also, take note of the hair colors of anime characters, which can often tell you what kind of personality they have. Red/orange/yellow hair for example is often used for abrasive, brash, extroverted characters, while black/blue/purple hair is reserved for characters that are colder, more calculating, and/or introverted.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Honestly XBOX sounds like engineer product nickname, always amazed me they just went with it instead of paying some consulting company millions to make up one.

Zeroing

Banned
According to this site, they say this.

Colors of Taco Bell Logo

The Taco Bell logo features bright shades of blue, pink and yellow to appeal to its young customers. While the blue color stands for approachability, excellence and grace, the pink depicts youthfulness and affection. The yellow color, on the other hand, symbolizes happiness, optimism and joy.
Wow when color theory is just a theory and doesn’t work when applied!

Why was the gamecube purple?
Jovial and mysterious. Like the shape of the console, seems very serious yet it has a handle. The color just makes it obvious it’s a fun and mysterious box! One can say with good surprises!

Zeroing

Banned
i was always told mcdonalds used red and yellow because it made people anxious to not stay in their restaurants too long
The old interior with red decorations overhyped people senses and and lines to order the menus would make people anxious with plus so many menu choices they will hurry and buy it. Then that additive food would make them devour it even faster!

WitchHunter

Banned
I can’t believe people are comparing this to some weird occult thing. Color does have an effect on people! There’s tons of medical articles about it also! Even artists use color in art to convey messages/feelings.

Video games people! Visual also! The same way darker tone colors/colder are used in games of horror genre and not bright colorful colors… it’s to convey an atmospheric cold and mysterious mood!
lol, sure, eat the bs. Maybe a handful of people know how these work at the basic level, yet a lot of people give these fancy words to illustrations without any merit or basis.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think PlayStation used to use green as well before MS forced them to pick a different color.
RLmAxGW.jpg

HJ6BwEw.jpg

iBiXTgZ.jpg

t4tg772.jpg

nNgw4ka.jpg

Those "banners" were black on regular games, those green ones are only the Greatest Hits shit (they later changed this to red), which are always made to look ugly and radiate cheapness (to lure bargain hunters).

So yeah, MS chose well!

Gaelyon

Gold Member
It can't be a coincidence that the three main competitors are identified to red, green, blue, the three primary colors.

Elysion

Banned
Those "banners" were black on regular games, those green ones are only the Greatest Hits shit (they later changed this to red), which are always made to look ugly and radiate cheapness (to lure bargain hunters).

In Europe they did the opposite. ‚Greatest Hits‘ editions over here had the ‚Platinum‘ label, with silver Playstation banners instead of the regular black ones. It looked super classy, and made it almost look as if it was some special edition or something.

20180830_105545_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Unfortunately, in later generations they didn’t stick with this minimalist design for their ‚Platinum‘ versions, and instead adopted more attention grabbing color schemes, like yellow on PS3. And I think for PS4 they abandoned the Platinum label entirely, and instead adopted some generic ‚greatest hits‘ label, similar to what the US and other markets have.

ParaSeoul

In Europe they did the opposite. ‚Greatest Hits‘ editions over here had the ‚Platinum‘ label, with silver Playstation banners instead of the regular black ones. It looked super classy, and made it almost look as if it was some special edition or something.

Unfortunately, in later generations they didn’t stick with this minimalist design for their ‚Platinum‘ versions, and instead adopted more attention grabbing color schemes, like yellow on PS3. And I think for PS4 they abandoned the Platinum label entirely, and instead adopted some generic ‚greatest hits‘ label, similar to what the US and other markets have.
They need to bring this back

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Ah right. I am European, but didn't remember that until now heh. Didn't have a PlayStation back in the day, I was a Nintendo kid (and some Sega).

But yeah, we've always (edit: usually) had better cover art etc than America in general. 🙂

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No you didn't.

But if it makes you feel all better in your smug place of smuggedness, feel free to continue deluding yourself in perpetuity.

Uh yes. Europe often got the original Japanese cover art (or something very similar to it) while America often got a much worse, action-oriented cover. RE4 and ICO are classic examples, but far from the only ones. It wasn't ALWAYS like that of course, but that's how it often went. Now, you are not required to like the JP/EU ICO cover over the NA one, but that's definitely the general consensus.

So yeah, MS chose well!
So the tradition of fucking up Greatest Hits covers was there from the start. Do they actually do it on purpose? I hate them.

You see colors in everything around you, every moment of the day - but do you ever stop to think about the impact each of those colors is having on you?
Color meanings stem from psychological effects, biological conditioning and cultural developments. Some color meanings are deeply rooted in our brains while others change over time and are different from culture to culture

Take a moment to think of Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox - the colors they use and their logos, what feelings and messages do those brands convey to you?

aUr1f3k.jpg
W75tOsT.jpg
g3eaYjc.jpg

Edit: I've added more colors.

BEqiHyd.jpg
CXjnaz0.jpg
67QnqQP.jpg
7SouPaD.jpg
PKpr0ap.jpg
d5AtuCC.jpg
Uc5sOOT.jpg
hhKHC38.jpg
e2NRdu3.jpg
GfoBGKB.jpg
9aJWWHk.jpg

It would be a nice way to see how a brand can or not have different meanings, to different people.
Also to those who are color blind, my apologies but maybe it is not all about color but an accumulation of personal experiences. The shapes used in the logos does also convey messages.

I will start:

Nintendo - Passionate, Conservative

Playstation - Creativity, Stability

Xbox - Power, Wealth, Connectivity
Fascinating stuff. I'm guessing this almost entirely subjective though, and that colors don't really have any particular meaning.

I see that this is the case with you as well, as your opinions on the 3 console brands have almost nothing to do with their colors.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So the tradition of fucking up Greatest Hits covers was there from the start. Do they actually do it on purpose? I hate them.

I think they do, yes. They intentionally make them look cheap to make less discerning customers think "oooh, that looks cheap". They don't care that gaming enthusiasts hate them, we're expected to buy the original releases.

Zeroing

Banned
Fascinating stuff. I'm guessing this almost entirely subjective though, and that colors don't really have any particular meaning.

I see that this is the case with you as well, as your opinions on the 3 console brands have almost nothing to do with their colors.
I did talk that it could be subjective hence I asked for opinions and that the shape of the logos and our experiences mold what we perceive from that brand

Kdad

Last edited:
Top Bottom