• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

vPtph8i.png

It's been another long and wonderful college football season, but it's all been nothing but a lead-up to this weekend, where Steve Sarkessian's Alabama Crimson Tide will start its journey towards winning another national championship.

Standing in the Crimson Tide's way, kind of?

Washington- The Huskies are resurgent under Coach Chris Peterson. With QB Jake Browning leading a potent offense that includes demigod WR John Ross, the Huskies and their big play potential probably stand the best chance of taking down the Tide, whose only "weakness" is the secondary. However, Washington has not excelled against good defensive lines this season, which happens to be where Alabama is strongest. Oops.

Ohio State- The youngest team in FBS is the first team to make the CFP without winning its conference. Ohio State relies heavily on the run game and its triple-headed threat of JT Barrett, Curtis Samuel, and Mike Weber. They aren't the most entertaining team to watch (sorry tOSU Gaffers) but they are incredibly efficient. Also, make sure to emphasize the THE in THE Ohio State University when you're drinking and watching the game Saturday. TOSU is very picky about that.

Clemson- You probably know these guys. They lost to Bama last year in the final and are looking for another shot. Deshaun Watson is back, and while he hasn't had the magical season of yesteryear (15 interceptions...) they still have enough firepower to compete with anyone. If turnovers don't do them in first. They're 68th in the country in turnover margin, and that won't cut it against any of these teams.

Playoff Schedule (all games on ESPN)

Saturday, December 31

Peach Bowl- #1 Alabama vs #4 Washington, 3 PM EST
Fiesta Bowl- #2 Clemson vs #3 Ohio State, 7 PM EST

Monday, January 9th

National Championship- #1 Alabama vs #2 Clemson, 8 PM EST

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

Do you like millennial coaches, possibly insane, with catchy sayings? Sure you do! It's time to row the boat with PJ Fleck and his undefeated MAC champions Western Michigan Broncos, who represent the G5 in this year's New Year's Six. They'll be taking on Big 10 runners-up Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl. Oh also, there's a school that harbored a pedophile for decades and still honor one of the men who helped him do it that is playing in the Rose Bowl. But we don't talk about them.

NYS Schedule (note these are out of whack this year because of New Year's falling on a Sunday and the silly NFL)

Friday, December 30

Orange Bowl- #6 Michigan vs #11 Florida State, 8 PM EST

Monday, January 2

Cotton Bowl- #8 Wisconsin vs #15 Western Michigan, 1 PM EST
Rose Bowl- #5 Penn State vs #9 Southern California, 5 PM EST
Sugar Bowl- #7 Oklahoma vs #14 Auburn, 8:30 PM EST

Much thanks to Bill Connelly and his excellent work on SBNation.

The Decided Schematic Advantage - CFB GAF's very own podcast

Listen to Tom (Azwethinkweiz), Andy (Andycapps), Mike (Lonestar), and Andrew (bucknuticus) discuss the latest in college football news, a little bit about video games, and TV.

The link to subscribe to The Decided Schematic Advantage is here.

New Episodes on Thursday, or whenever Andy finds enough time at work to work on it.

Episode 20 - Hey Siri, does Washington have a chance?

We talk about boring bowl games, boring playoff games, boring TV shows, good Star Wars movies, and the best TV show ever (Person of Interest).

Come enjoy this podcast while it's hot. It's not like you have anything else to do this time of year.

Bowl Pick'Em

Kitten took a job at FAU lol. Still funny.

The GOAT in Howard Schnellenberger couldn't turn that shit into a winner his ass sure as shit isn't. Look forward to Chuck kicking his ass up and down the field.

Volimar

Back when I went to Ohio State they never did the THE emphasis thing. I think it's pretty dumb tbh.

Also, it'd take a miracle for OSU to win its game.

Where's the link to our bowl pickem? Can that be in the OP?

Back when I went to Ohio State they never did the THE emphasis thing. I think it's pretty dumb tbh.

Also, it'd take a miracle for OSU to win its game.

Against Clempson? Nah, thats a cake walk. It's their next game, against Washington, I'm more concerned about

ryseing

Absolute trash showing for the AAC. Trash.

Dumpster fire even.

The G5 performances this bowl season have set the group as a whole back at least a decade. AAC wearing P6 stickers while getting their shit kicked in by Wake Forest didn't help matters.

Also, fucking Boise. Goddammit you couldn't beat the team that lost its last six games and has two recruits in its upcoming class.

We're also not in community, this is scary and different.

It's just for the playoffs. General rule is that sports finalss get to be in discussion, where casuals can easily find the threads.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This was my first year not doing picks on the GAF pickem or the bowl pickem.

Coincidentally, I also think I did better this year than any previous year.

We're also not in community, this is scary and different.

Gobias

Banned
Yeah but it was "The Ohio State University" not "THE Ohio State University". No one made a big deal about the THE back then.

I mean I always just call it Ohio State. I've still never heard someone on campus emphasize the The in casual conversation. I don't know if that's any bigger than it has ever been.

cdyhybrid

Kyle Bonagura ‏@BonaguraESPN 11m
Kyle Whittingham has 10 bowl wins as a head coach since 2004.

Notre Dame has 10 bowl wins since 1979.

I wonder how much longer he can go. I know he retired briefly, and K-State crashed, and now they're respectable again.

But he's up there...

I give him one more year since this team looks primed to return some real good skill players and a solid defense.

But I'm pretty sure next year is it, he's almost 80.

FyreWulff

Once Snyder moves on K State won't be relevant anymore. They probably have him loaded up on non-cash options, and he apparently secretly funds a lot of local stuff, he's the last of the older era where coaches tended to be lifelong homers when they did well.

Now you get fired for going 9-3 (Nebraska) or 10-4 (Georgia). Who the fuck can ever stick around in that enviroment?

jfkgoblue

Trying to get excited about the Orange Bowl is hard.

It's like wanting a new PS4 for Christmas, and you sneak around and find the box lying around. So now you are super excited and are sure that you are getting it. When you open the box you discover that it is actually a PS3 inside and your parents tell you to be happy with that. A PS3 is better than nothing, but god damn it were you banking on getting that PS4.

Poor Aggies.

Apparently Washington's defense is right up there with LSU's. Scary, if true. I don't know that we'll be able to move the ball offensively, but we're the same team that scored 16 points in a quarter where we netted -7 yards, so maybe I'm worried for nothing.

Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier is among a growing number of Group of 5 officials that favor adding a playoff specifically for the Group of 5 schools.

"It's time to have a realistic conversation about creating a playoff for the Group of 5," Frazier told ESPN. "Why not?"

It's been 32 years since a non-Power 5 team won a national championship (BYU in 1984) and it likely will never happen again in the current format. In the first three years of the College Football Playoff, a Group of 5 team has never ranked higher than No. 13 (Memphis in the 2015 initial rankings) by the CFB Playoff selection committee.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ficials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom