• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty: Bloodborne Remaster and Bloodborne 2 in Development for PS5 by Bluepoint

Fake

You want me to believe this company that have a reputation of making remakes is making a new Bloodborne? Without any experience over art direction?

lol

John Wick

Bloodborne 2 without Miyazaki?

Sony owns the rights to the franchise so they're free to do what they want but they absolutely need From and Miyazaki. You can't just hire a random, talented remake studio to make a new Bloodborne.

Also, Bloodborne is one of my alltime favorite games, I really don't think they should mess with the artstyle and atmosphere it's perfect. I'd prefer if they just cleaned it up and added 60 fps.
Agreed. Bloodborne doesn't need a remaster as it's a good looking game. Just needs framepacing fixed, 60fps and 4k resolution.
Bloodborne 2 From Software should co make the game with Bluepoint.

WilboWaggins

Neo Member
Sony owns the IP they can't just use Froms engine and I highly doubt they license the engine without being involed. I could see them doing a remaster or directors cut and charge idiot's 60 to 70 bucks when Sony consumers should demand more. A 60 fps patch shouldn't be hard. You don't have to remaster what is already a beautiful stunning and atmospheric game.
And I am one of those idiots who will pay a cool 70 to buy the remake

If true, expect the following aspects:

- An easy mode
- Tutorial
- Pause button
- Automatic Attack
- Cheat mode
Nah, I'd trust Bluepoint to keep the core of the series in tact. Let's not resort to hyperbole here. I'm just not sure they are actually up to the task of following in the footsteps of an absolute colossus.

And I am one of those idiots who will pay a cool 70 to buy the remake
A proper remake like DeS is worth 60 or 70 bucks. But Bloodborne isn't that old, so his point is that it doesn't need a remake. Push the framerate to 60, increase the resolution to 1440p and you're done. Perfect game.

Fake

Nah, I'd trust Bluepoint to keep the core of the series in tact. Let's not resort to hyperbole here. I'm just not sure they are actually up to the task of following in the footsteps of an absolute colossus.

Demons Souls pause the game when you use Photo mode, aka pause button.
Demons Souls have a black boss that was replaced by a white boss.

I trust them to make remakes and remasters, not a new entire game or neither a sequel.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit disingenuous to equate a photo mode with a pause button but that's just me. What is lost from the ability to take photographs whilst in game?

I trust them to make remakes and remasters, not a new entire game or neither a sequel.

I completely agree with this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know how long it takes to do a next gen port, but if this is all true, BB Remaster 2023 and BB2 2026, or at the earliest late 2022 (1 yr to up port?) and 2025?

Fake

I think it's a bit disingenuous to equate a photo mode with a pause button but that's just me. What is lost from the ability to take photographs whilst in game?

They know they would receive critic for add a pause button, so they instead make a photo mode that pause the game.

Get it? I don't even know how mister Miyazaki react to this.

Again, this company don't have a historic of making artistic games, so making a sequel would not be a good ideia. I would rather prefer a new IP just to make sure they're capable of doing games first.

Imagine if your first company job was about making a sequel of a popular game? Is a damn risk move my friend.

WilboWaggins

Neo Member
A proper remake like DeS is worth 60 or 70 bucks. But Bloodborne isn't that old, so his point is that it doesn't need a remake. Push the framerate to 60, increase the resolution to 1440p and you're done. Perfect game.
I agree it just needs a 60fps patch, however, if they remake it and charge 70 I'll still end up getting it.

Vangellis

I'm not sure I buy this rumor. Although if you had to use a team other than From Software, I think having Bluepoint immerse themselves in remastering Bloodborne and then move to make part 2 isn't a terrible approach. By the end of the remaster they could have new ideas, be saturated in the atmosphere, and have a huge grasp on the essence of the original. Im sure there is some code and design they would even repurpose.... or it could be a disaster. Still would love a remaster.

They know they would receive critic for add a pause button, so they instead make a photo mode that pause the game.

Get it? I don't even know how mister Miyazaki react to this.

Again, this company don't have a historic of making artistic games, so making a sequel would not be a good ideia. I would rather prefer a new IP just to make sure they're capable of doing games first.

Imagine if your first company job was about making a sequel of a popular game? Is a damn risk move my friend.
I can see that point of view. Whilst I understand there's a lineage of "no-pausing" within the Souls series, I don't personally see it as too big of a deal if we gain a net positive such as a photo mode (I enjoy taking shots within games)

I can certainly see how that's an issue for die-hards though, if it doesn't strictly adhere to what's come before then it's likely not taken positively with the wider community.

As I stated in my edit, I completely share my concerns with you over the actual quality of a new game Bluepoint might produce. Whilst they're clearly leagues ahead in the port/remaster stakes, I have the same sentiment with regards to Aspyr and KOTOR. I can't see them taking on this sort of job and succeeding. It's surely too big a project with too much pressure. I would love to be proven wrong.

iorek21

There’s nothing stopping Miyazaki or From from giving creative input or counseling to Bluepoint for this project.
Besides, I don’t really doubt their capacity to make a worthy sequel; the Soulsborne formula has already been tried by lots of inexperienced studios and to a good degree of success (like Hollow Knight).

Bluepoint can do it, maybe even better, who knows.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

Sony owns the rights to the franchise so they're free to do what they want but they absolutely need From and Miyazaki. You can't just hire a random, talented remake studio to make a new Bloodborne.

Also, Bloodborne is one of my alltime favorite games, I really don't think they should mess with the artstyle and atmosphere it's perfect. I'd prefer if they just cleaned it up and added 60 fps.

Isn't that what "remaster" means?

mckmas8808

Banned
You want me to believe this company that have a reputation of making remakes is making a new Bloodborne? Without any experience over art direction?

lol

What makes you think they are leading the charge on the art direction? If this is true......

if true i'll give BB2 a shot but i won't get too excited since it's bluepoint. the only game they've made that isn't a remaster/port is Blast Factor lmao and that was 15 years ago.

unless sony is gonna have studios helping them make it then maybe they should stick to what they do best. have to say i'm more excited for their remaster of Bloodborne lol

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

- An easy mode
- Tutorial
- Pause button
- Automatic Attack
- Cheat mode
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Isn't that what "remaster" means?
no. changing the artstyle/atmosphere would be closer to a remake.

a remaster would be going back to the original code/assets and updating it for new hardware. a remaster of Bloodborne i'd expect the same game with updated visuals. sharper textures, higher resolution, higher framerate. a remake is creating new models, textures, redesigning art, new animations, etc.

- An easy mode
- Tutorial
- Pause button
- Automatic Attack
- Cheat mode
fuck that shit.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
no. changing the artstyle/atmosphere would be closer to a remake.

a remaster would be going back to the original code/assets and updating it for new hardware. a remaster of Bloodborne i'd expect the same game with updated visuals. sharper textures, higher resolution, higher framerate. a remake is creating new models, textures, redesigning art, new animations, etc.

fuck that shit.

Yeah I know. That's what I was saying. That's what a remaster is.

Fake

Lol at the idea that a pause button, a tutorial, and an easy mode might be really bad things.

Oh heaven forbid a game should be accessible to anyone other than world class dweebs.

Oh, you can do that, just don't call the game 'Bloodborne'.

metroid without retro turned out fine

but i appreciate all the fear mongering

Last edited:
Lol at the idea that a pause button, a tutorial, and an easy mode might be really bad things.

Oh heaven forbid a game should be accessible to anyone other than world class dweebs.
I get that games should be more accessible, but there's something to the very core of the Souls games that I feel would strip them of their uniqueness if they added stuff such as tutorials and difficulty settings.

You know if From made the game themselves, but nobody knew it was them, a large, vocal group would say the game is garbage and the developers "don't get it". Release the exact same game, knowing it was From, those people would call it Game of the Generation.

The point is, people have already made up their mind. The actual finished product is irrelevant.

Hunnybun

I get that games should be more accessible, but there's something to the very core of the Souls games that I feel would strip them of their uniqueness if they added stuff such as tutorials and difficulty settings.

Well yes, they'd certainly be less *unique*, that's for sure.

They'd also be much less tedious and frustrating for me and lots of others.

I suppose it's a trade-off.

luffie

LMAO, remember how you got Dark Souls 2? Yeah, without Miyazaki.

And now you give a studio who is not known from creating a game from scratch one of your beloved ip? Big DOUBT.

luffie

BB2 by them? i have my doubts.
For all the know how the studio would have from remaking DeS, they were not designing the game again from aesthetics to gameplay.
Almost like asking someone who mostly inks to take over the pencils and story on a comic, he might be able to retain most of the style of the drawings but the paneling, writing and composition are hardly things he needed to know for inking.

iu
Right on. Taking the guy who just did the inking to design an entire new concept and draw everything as well as the previous guy who did an excellent job?

C'mon Sony.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People fail to realize all the hires BP did the past couple of years. Designers of all sorts that worked on big AAA games. From the ground up of creation to final product.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

And if bluepoint nails the game, people will put this Miyazaki worshipping to rest.

Swift_Star

Banned

Sony trusts them.
Sony = owns the IP
You = random forum dweller
I go with Sony on this one 👍

People fail to realize all the hires BP did the past couple of years. Designers of all sorts that worked on big AAA games. From the ground up of creation to final product.

their studio is filled with ex-Retro employee who reinvisioned Metroid to much success.

I am not concerned about them doing justice to anything, remake or original content

PSlayer

Bloodborne 2 without FROM colab is a huge mistake.

Westerners can't into souls games. Even Demons souls remake which is very faithful to the original lacks the atmosphere of the original.

Ideally From would be in charge,outsourcing the visuals to bluepoint(They are pretty good at that).

kyliethicc

"Our team is a very highly experienced team, the average experience among most people is about 15 years, and all of them come from original development. It's not like we're a bunch of developers that got trained up on making remasters and remakes. We have that original game development mindset in our hearts, and that's what we're now ready, finally ready with the support of Sony to push forward and show what we can do, and show what PlayStation can do."

- Marco Thrush, head of Bluepoint Games

Top Bottom